SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

New Mock Draft

New Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Z0ra
Published: May 19, 2022 at 1:56 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Easy pick for the Canadiens, they shouldn't overthink this.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I was torn on this pick here, its between Slafkovsky and Jiricek. The Devils have centers like Mercer, Hischier, and Hughes. They also have Luke Hughes, Walsh, Bahl, Smith, and Hamilton on defense. The one thing they heavily lack is a physical winger. Slafkovsky is the perfect pick for the Devils, skating may be an issue but he makes up for it with his lethal shot, big size, and physicality. Slafkovsky is the definition of a true power forward and has all the tools to make the NHL right away.
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Arizona shouldn't overthink this pick, most label Cooley as the second-best player in the draft. Similar player to Wright, but slightly smaller. Currently playing better than Wright, but ideally Wright has the higher upside.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-With Beniers proving himself of being the future 1C for Seattle, I think Francis will go back to his routes and select a defenseman. Jiricek has the complete package, a booming shot, size, physicality, and two-way ability. His four-way agility is amazing as well.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-This is an easier pick than some people on this site think. The Flyers this year did NOT have Ryan Ellis. Before his injury, Ellis scored 5 points in 4 games. Very good production in that small sample size. So I think the Flyers will go the forward route, since their face of the franchise in Giroux is now gone. Savoie has a bit of Giroux in his game when it comes to the playmaking. A bit undersized at 5'8'', but Savoie is a complete playmaking and can score you a lot of goals.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksNemec falls into Columbus's lap here. Their defensive core will be set after this pick.
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-This is the heavy favorite to go to Ottawa, and it does make sense in a big way. Perfect complement to Stutzle, if those two are on the same line, I see Kemell scoring 40+ goals in the near future.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Lekkerimaki is the pick here, best center available at this point according to my rankings. I know a lot of people on this site are saying Lambert goes here, but scouts project him as a full-time right winger in the NHL. Detroit is set on the wing more than they are with centers.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-If one of Jiricek and Nemec are somehow available at this spot, its an easy grab for the Sabres. But they aren't so Buffalo gets their new franchise center, given the fact that Eichel is gone. Nazar is better, but I see him more effective on the wing given his size. McGroarty is a complete centerman, and is a brilliant power forward. I see a lot of Blake Coleman in his game.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Based on my rankings, this is a reach, but I've seen a lot of comparisons to Getzlaf with Geekie. Now that Getzlaf is retired, Geekie can come in and be the new Getzlaf.
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-I don't see Gauthier falling any further than this. There are rumors that Meier, Hertl, and LaBanc are all getting traded, so drafting a forward would be the smart move. This is a steal of a pick as a lot of scouts have Gauthier at the top 10 of my draft board. However, on my rankings, he's 11th ranked.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Some might say that this is too high for Yurov and I get it. But this is the type of player that Columbus develops well. They clearly don't shy away from drafting Russians, they developed Chinakov well, I see them doing the same with Yurov.
13Logo of the New York Islanders-This would be a good storyline pick. This would be uncle and nephew reuniting again. Lane just got hired as coach, so I don't see Lambert being a bust in Long Island.
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Here I assume Trotz gets hired as Jets coach. Del Bel Belluz is a player who I think would fit under Trotz's defensive system. LBB is one of the best two-way forwards in the OHL currently. I actually kinda see him taking a similar development path as Cole Sillinger as LBB has no major weaknesses in his game.
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Easy pick for the Canucks, this is a steal. They shouldn't overthink this one.
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsAfter taking a high-quality forward with their first pick, the Sabres snag the best defensive defenseman in the draft in Chelsey. Based on my rankings, this is a reach, but the type of player that Buffalo needs.
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-Predators need an offensive threat at forward, so they snag the high rising Ostlund.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-The Stars get a steal here in Mateychuk. He's a reliable two-way game and can make Oettinger's job in goal much easier. I think the reason the Stars lost their series against the Flames is because they relied too much on Oettinger.
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Easy pick here, once again another steal. Mintyukov has the complete package. I would say in terms of ceiling Mintyukov, Mateychuk, and Kevin Korchinski are all interchangeable.
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Capitals shouldn't overthink this one. I don't see Howard falling any further than this.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-This is a player that can do everything with the puck. Snuggerud is heavily ranked high by scouts and analysts.
22Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers need a package defenseman and Nelson is that type of guy. He pretty much as everything a GM wants apart from the size.
23Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsI was thinking Korchinski but he has a lot of similarities with Drysdale. Instead I think the Ducks snag Bichsel. The best Swiss player has great size and high defensive upside. Offensive upside may be a question mark, but they have enough offense on the back end with Drysdale.
24Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The right side of their defensive core behind Parayko is severely weak. I think the best RD available is Luneau. Solid stay-at-home defenseman, has high hockey IQ, and above average size.
25Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-Most of the Lightning forward core is veterans, so they should inject some youth there. The high-rising Dumais would be a good start, Nolan Foote didn't work out for them, I think Dumais could.
26Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers, assuming they lose their series to Carolina, get a steal. Korchinski is 13 on my draft board, so to get him at 26th is a win-win situation. Solid offensive defenseman who is on the rise.
27Logo of the Minnesota Wild-High chance Dumba may be gone given the cap space in Minny, so grabbing a replacement defenseman would be ideal. Casey may be small, but he's a solid offensive defenseman and solid skater.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Toronto needs to learn that offense only can't win you games. They should step out of their comfort zone and grab a defenseman. Hutson checks all the boxes to be a reliable top 4 guy, but his size is lacking. He outplayed Chelsey and Casey at the U18's.
29Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary FlamesA bit too high here for Salomonsson, but the best RD available in my eyes.
30Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina HurricanesThe Coyotes need a player to get excited over, so they draft the overaged Robertson. Currently NHL-ready, they succeeded with Moser last year, I think Robertson will be even better.
31Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado AvalancheA project pick for sure, but the best LD available on my draft rankings. If Chychrun leaves, the Coyotes need help there.
32Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida PanthersYes the Sabres grabbed a center 9th overall, but I don't see Kasper falling out of the first round. He's on the rise and I could see teams reaching on him.
May 19, 2022 at 1:57 a.m.
power forward
power forward
power forward
power forward
Playersoverpayed liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 1:58 a.m.
power forward
TheMooterus liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 1:58 a.m.
power forward
Saskleaf liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 6:31 a.m.
I can’t see Nemec falling all the way to 6, imo he’ll go at 2 or 4, whichever one he doesn’t go at is where Slafkovsky will go for me
May 19, 2022 at 6:41 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Most thoughtful mock I've seen to date. Altho I have a issues, the few being LDBB and Salomonsson wayyy too high and Korchinski too low, I really like a lot of these selections. Job well done
May 19, 2022 at 8:59 a.m.
If Habs snag Kasper at #29 and then go with Miro at #33 and worry about RHD later i would be very happy
BigBadBurke and ColonelX liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: GoHabsGo99
If Habs snag Kasper at #29 and then go with Miro at #33 and worry about RHD later i would be very happy

Yeah if Kasper's there I don't think twice and pick him up over any RD left on the board. Last thing I want is reaching especially when a guy's falling.
May 19, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Where exactly did the rumor come from that San Jose is trading all these players? First time I’ve heard of most besides Labanc. Seems suspect
May 19, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: glarson17
Where exactly did the rumor come from that San Jose is trading all these players? First time I’ve heard of most besides Labanc. Seems suspect

I read this on Hockey Writers about a year ago.
May 19, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: christianyog
I read this on Hockey Writers about a year ago.

Well they just signed Hertl long term instead of moving him as a rental and after the year Meier had I don’t see them moving him
May 19, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: GoHabsGo99

Quoting: ColonelX
Yeah if Kasper's there I don't think twice and pick him up over any RD left on the board. Last thing I want is reaching especially when a guy's falling.

I would have Kasper here, but I really like the potential of Joshua Roy. I think Roy can be a reliable 2C in the future. I believe Mysak can also play center. All together including Suzuki, that's four centers of the future. Unless I'm missing something.
May 19, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: glarson17
Well they just signed Hertl long term instead of moving him as a rental and after the year Meier had I don’t see them moving him

Fair enough. I don't watch a lot of Sharks games.
May 19, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: BigBadBurke
Most thoughtful mock I've seen to date. Altho I have a issues, the few being LDBB and Salomonsson wayyy too high and Korchinski too low, I really like a lot of these selections. Job well done

I do agree with all your points. But I don't see Schiefele fitting into Trotz's systems because he's not that great defensively. I just thought LDBB fit more.

Korchinski yes is low, but he's an offensive defenseman. Most teams ahead of the Rangers don't really need an offensive d-man. On my rankings, he's 13th.
BigBadBurke liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.
MajorMoose
i'd be so happy if Nazar fell to 15 but I doubt it'll happen
May 19, 2022 at 11:31 p.m.
This draft has content but the Columbus picks are way off. I do not see the Jackets being interested in Nemec. He is a an offensive defenseman which the Jackets currently have tons of. Jiricek would be the guy the Jackets would most likely want. You also never had the Jackets address their biggest need which is center.
May 20, 2022 at 8:25 a.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: christianyog
I would have Kasper here, but I really like the potential of Joshua Roy. I think Roy can be a reliable 2C in the future. I believe Mysak can also play center. All together including Suzuki, that's four centers of the future. Unless I'm missing something.

What we've sadly experienced in the past two years is that -sadly- you never have enough centers. We thought we were set for years down the middle with Zuke, KK (Even without the offersheet he didn't meet what we've all expected from him), Danault and Evans but it took one offseason to bring us back 5 years. Yes Roy is very talented in the Q, as is Mysak, as is Kidney and with Wright it's obviously a lot but you never know what can happen and derail their path down the line. I take BPA and at this spot it's clearly Kasper. With Salomonson you're reaching for positional need which is what we've done too many times already cause Elias will surely be there at 33 and could even be there if we trade down or wait for our next pick at 55ish.
May 20, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: ColonelX
What we've sadly experienced in the past two years is that -sadly- you never have enough centers. We thought we were set for years down the middle with Zuke, KK (Even without the offersheet he didn't meet what we've all expected from him), Danault and Evans but it took one offseason to bring us back 5 years. Yes Roy is very talented in the Q, as is Mysak, as is Kidney and with Wright it's obviously a lot but you never know what can happen and derail their path down the line. I take BPA and at this spot it's clearly Kasper. With Salomonson you're reaching for positional need which is what we've done too many times already cause Elias will surely be there at 33 and could even be there if we trade down or wait for our next pick at 55ish.

Makes total sense, I agree with your point. Thanks for the valuable input!
ColonelX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll