SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Rangers

How overrated is Brendan Smith?

Is Brendan Smith overrated?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 1, 2017 at 7:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think Brendan Smith is overrated. The Rangers took Kevin Klein out of the lineup to put in Brendan Smith, they gave up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick to get him as a rental, and in people's ARMCHAIR-GM teams, people are signing him for 4mil a year. Watching him this playoff, i go, "Why did they take out Klein to put this guy in?" What do you think?
May 2, 2017 at 8:20 a.m.
Danaultisabike
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I think Brendan Smith is overrated. The Rangers took Kevin Klein out of the lineup to put in Brendan Smith, they gave up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick to get him as a rental, and in people's ARMCHAIR-GM teams, people are signing him for 4mil a year. Watching him this playoff, i go, "Why did they take out Klein to put this guy in?" What do you think?

Klein is no good. Smith is a bottom pair guy.
May 2, 2017 at 12:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: backflip

Klein is no good. Smith is a bottom pair guy.

Well Klein is obviously really good if he made it to the NHL, but yes, i've heard a lot of things that i disagree with about Klein/Staal/Girardi.
May 4, 2017 at 10:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Wow, someone voted for that he is underrated ... wow. i disagree.
May 30, 2017 at 12:29 p.m.
I think he paired very well with Skjei. We didn't get a huge sample size from him but he can skate and move the puck well and he has a good physical presence on the ice. Klein I thought was given the short end of the stick, and would have preferred him in over Holden, but he is definitely in the twilight of his career and should be a bottom pair defender for the remainder. I think Smith could be persuaded to stay and take under 4 mill because he thinks the team has a chance to win a cup and he is good buddies with the other Wisconsin guys. There are not a whole lot of UFA options out there this summer either, which is why his price might go up.
May 30, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BeukeBOOMED
I think he paired very well with Skjei. We didn't get a huge sample size from him but he can skate and move the puck well and he has a good physical presence on the ice. Klein I thought was given the short end of the stick, and would have preferred him in over Holden, but he is definitely in the twilight of his career and should be a bottom pair defender for the remainder. I think Smith could be persuaded to stay and take under 4 mill because he thinks the team has a chance to win a cup and he is good buddies with the other Wisconsin guys. There are not a whole lot of UFA options out there this summer either, which is why his price might go up.

The thing is though, he moves the puck and then loses it. I keep seeing Brendan Smith lose the puck, so i don't see him re-signing, and if he does i think it's for 900K or something.
May 30, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.

The thing is though, he moves the puck and then loses it. I keep seeing Brendan Smith lose the puck, so i don't see him re-signing, and if he does i think it's for 900K or something.

Lol he's not going to sign anywhere for 900k. He's getting minimum $3 million from someone
May 31, 2017 at 12:14 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BeukeBOOMED

Lol he's not going to sign anywhere for 900k. He's getting minimum $3 million from someone

So a guy gets 3 million dollars to lose the puck?
Jun. 2, 2017 at 8:58 a.m.
I think Smith wasn't properly used in Detroit
Also Klein appeared hurt last season
Jun. 2, 2017 at 12:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: donpaulo
I think Smith wasn't properly used in Detroit
Also Klein appeared hurt last season

So are you saying you think Smith is overrated?
Jun. 3, 2017 at 12:11 p.m.

He's gonna make 3-3.5 Million or more on the UFA market. Not every defenseman is a stellar puck mover, but he's one of the best defensive defenseman in the league and just needs to be paired with someone who is more offensive minded so he can focus on covering their defensive lapses. I'd be happy for the Stars to pick him up since we already have defensemen in Klingberg and Honka who are great at moving the puck.
Jun. 3, 2017 at 1:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: JCWM2

He's gonna make 3-3.5 Million or more on the UFA market. Not every defenseman is a stellar puck mover, but he's one of the best defensive defenseman in the league and just needs to be paired with someone who is more offensive minded so he can focus on covering their defensive lapses. I'd be happy for the Stars to pick him up since we already have defensemen in Klingberg and Honka who are great at moving the puck.

Maybe Smith would be good with someone who can help if someone makes a mistake. Maybe they should have tried Smith and McDonagh as the top pair, as McDonagh could help out when Smith loses the puck.
Jun. 3, 2017 at 6:08 p.m.

Maybe Smith would be good with someone who can help if someone makes a mistake. Maybe they should have tried Smith and McDonagh as the top pair, as McDonagh could help out when Smith loses the puck.

Smith would likely be good with him, but I'm not sure I'd want him out there as much as McDonagh is. I'm not sure of the minutes spread between the d-pairs in NY, but I'd want Smith on my 2nd pairing unless the team does and even distribution of ice time for all 3 pairs throughout each game. Smith's game goes under the radar a bit because he plays a defensive role instead of the more common 2-way or offensive minded styles that are prevalent these days.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:47 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Smith would likely be good with him, but I'm not sure I'd want him out there as much as McDonagh is. I'm not sure of the minutes spread between the d-pairs in NY, but I'd want Smith on my 2nd pairing unless the team does and even distribution of ice time for all 3 pairs throughout each game. Smith's game goes under the radar a bit because he plays a defensive role instead of the more common 2-way or offensive minded styles that are prevalent these days.

But McDonagh would be good at helping out if Smith makes a mistake (which likely happens). Smith is a puck-moving defenseman, he just keeps losing the puck. I think it depends who is on his pairing.
Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:53 a.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Smith is definitely not overrated, if paired with the right partner, he is a decent top four d-man
Jun. 5, 2017 at 3:14 p.m.
May contain nuts
Not overrated at all. Underrated, in fact. Smith is a legit top 4 dman, and he had crazy good chemistry with Skjei.
Jun. 6, 2017 at 12:57 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Snobalt
Not overrated at all. Underrated, in fact. Smith is a legit top 4 dman, and he had crazy good chemistry with Skjei.

And Girardi isn't? Who would you rather have?

Option 1: A guy who blocks shots, stops the other team's scoring chances, and moves the puck.
Option 2: A guy who takes the puck out of the zone and then gives it away to a guy on the other team.

I'd rather option 1, and i don't see what's so good about option 2.
Jun. 6, 2017 at 7:02 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Your forgetting that option 1 is overpaid and aging.
Jun. 7, 2017 at 1:43 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DarylthePony

Fair enough, but if there was no salary cap would you rather option 1 or option 2?
Jun. 7, 2017 at 3:06 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Fair enough, but if there was no salary cap would you rather option 1 or option 2?

Option 2.
Jun. 8, 2017 at 5:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Option 2.

Seriously?
Jun. 8, 2017 at 9:57 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Option 2.

Seriously?

Yes. applaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaud
Jun. 10, 2017 at 12:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Seriously?

Yes. applaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaudapplaud

why?
Jun. 13, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.
What would you guys prefer? Bringing back Smith at 4-4.5 million on a 4-5 year deal. Or bringing in Shattenkirk at 6 million on 5-6 year deal?
Jun. 13, 2017 at 6:56 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: nyr1093
What would you guys prefer? Bringing back Smith at 4-4.5 million on a 4-5 year deal. Or bringing in Shattenkirk at 6 million on 5-6 year deal?

Shattenkirk. But they don't need him because Girardi is amazingawesome face. Right rangersandislesfan?awesome face

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit