Forums/Armchair-GM

Next Year

Created by: Canucks33
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2022
Published: May 20, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Depending on where we are at the deadline, we can choose to use our extra picks to buy cheap depth for a Playoff push or sell our veterans and expiring contracts for more picks/prospects.

A 2nd + 4th buys us a good top-6 defenseman at the deadline, probably one that can PK. If we're selling, we have the biggest fish in Miller (with retention) and a very attractive RHD for contenders in Schenn. Plus vets like Pearson or Dickinson may have some interest.

We are set up well for either scenario next year.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,250,000
2$950,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
4$2,500,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Overages, Bonus
1$1,250,000
Kuzmenko, Andrei
1$925,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Luostarinen, Eetu [RFA Rights]
VAN
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (NJD)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$79,239,167$1,250,000$1,150,000$3,260,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Kuzmenko, Andrei
$925,000$925,000
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LD
RFA - 2
Overages, Bonus
$1,250,000$1,250,000
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 20, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Really poor value for Garland. He was one of our best 5v5 players this season. He brings a lot more value to the Canucks than a couple of seconds
Prime_Jimbo liked this.
May 20, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Really poor value for Garland. He was one of our best 5v5 players this season. He brings a lot more value to the Canucks than a couple of seconds

NJD fans seemed receptive to moving their 2023 1st for him, but there was also a report saying that teams wouldn't offer a 1st for him.
May 20, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
VAN
Overages for Halak now built in. No need to create. I'd say the reports are just smoke screens.
Canucks33 liked this.
May 20, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: Canucks33
NJD fans seemed receptive to moving their 2023 1st for him, but there was also a report saying that teams wouldn't offer a 1st for him.

Then don’t trade him. This team is worse without him and you didn’t get enough assets by trading him to upgrade elsewhere.

Only trade garland if you can improve another area imo. Selling low is pointless especially considering your AGM you made has the cap space to easily keep him
May 20, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: The_Rocket
Then don’t trade him. This team is worse without him and you didn’t get enough assets by trading him to upgrade elsewhere.

Only trade garland if you can improve another area imo. Selling low is pointless especially considering your AGM you made has the cap space to easily keep him

Fair enough, but with Garland we have a lot of cap tied up into wingers. If we keep him, then we'll need to play one of Pettersson, Horvat or Miller at 3C, which is not ideal. All of those guys should be in the top-6.

Between Garland and Boeser, I'd rather keep Boeser. He's a home grown goal scorer that has established chemistry with our franchise players and has stated he wants to stay (probably taking a bit of a discount). I don't think losing Garland would have a substantial effect on the team, especially with Podkolzin and Hoglander continuing to grow. Garland started off great, then didn't do much for a long stretch before lighting it up at the very end with a red hot Pettersson. I think the team would be fine without him.

I understand the managerial argument to hold on to the asset and see if he can increase his value, but the reality is taking that gamble hinders our ability to improve our team elsewhere. If we have Garland then we are losing out on either a 3C or Boeser, both of which would help the team more in my opinion. I don't think gambling on Garland putting up an extra 10-ish points is worth restricting the team from improving in more important areas, even if the trade value is somewhat lacking in some people's eyes.
May 20, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Fair enough, but with Garland we have a lot of cap tied up into wingers. If we keep him, then we'll need to play one of Pettersson, Horvat or Miller at 3C, which is not ideal. All of those guys should be in the top-6.

Between Garland and Boeser, I'd rather keep Boeser. He's a home grown goal scorer that has established chemistry with our franchise players and has stated he wants to stay (probably taking a bit of a discount). I don't think losing Garland would have a substantial effect on the team, especially with Podkolzin and Hoglander continuing to grow. Garland started off great, then didn't do much for a long stretch before lighting it up at the very end with a red hot Pettersson. I think the team would be fine without him.

I understand the managerial argument to hold on to the asset and see if he can increase his value, but the reality is taking that gamble hinders our ability to improve our team elsewhere. If we have Garland then we are losing out on either a 3C or Boeser, both of which would help the team more in my opinion. I don't think gambling on Garland putting up an extra 10-ish points is worth restricting the team from improving in more important areas, even if the trade value is somewhat lacking in some people's eyes.

I think you’re underrating Garland’s net 5v5 impact on this team. Canucks control play best when he is on the ice. JT millers best run this season came when garland was on his wing, then garland moved to Petey’s line and petey had his best run of the year. It’s not coincidence.

Since you have so much extra cap next year that you’re not even using Ferland LTI, why not just keep him and then make the decision on which winger to trade next year?

No harm in running miller - petey - Horvat down the middle if you’re not going to use your cap space anyways.
May 20, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
I think you’re underrating Garland’s net 5v5 impact on this team. Canucks control play best when he is on the ice. JT millers best run this season came when garland was on his wing, then garland moved to Petey’s line and petey had his best run of the year. It’s not coincidence.

Since you have so much extra cap next year that you’re not even using Ferland LTI, why not just keep him and then make the decision on which winger to trade next year?

No harm in running miller - petey - Horvat down the middle if you’re not going to use your cap space anyways.

I think that between Podkolzin and Hoglander we can get that same effect that Garland had, or at least get them on track to get there. I also do actually think it was a coincidence to some degree. Pettersson was lighting it up with Chiasson; it didn't matter who his wingers were. Miller was scoring a lot by making his own plays, there was just a run where he got extra hot.

But your right, we have the cap space to keep him and it wouldn't hurt us at all.
The_Rocket liked this.
May 20, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
I think that between Podkolzin and Hoglander we can get that same effect that Garland had, or at least get them on track to get there. I also do actually think it was a coincidence to some degree. Pettersson was lighting it up with Chiasson; it didn't matter who his wingers were. Miller was scoring a lot by making his own plays, there was just a run where he got extra hot.

But your right, we have the cap space to keep him and it wouldn't hurt us at all.

Here’s why I don’t think it’s a coincidence

At 5v5, jt miller scored 2.82 points per 60 plying with garland. He didn’t achieve that with any other linemate. His average for the season was 2.45.

For Pettersson, it’s even more pronounce. 2.52 points per 60 with garland, 1.6 per 60 season average. Again, his best production came with Garland compared to any other player. For example, with Chiasson EP scored 2.15 per 60, and with JT miller he scored 2.38.

So even though petey can still score really well without Garland, his best production came when they were together. Ditto miller.

I think having a guy that gets the best out of your top players is very valuable
May 20, 2022 at 11:13 p.m.
Here’s why I don’t think it’s a coincidence

At 5v5, jt miller scored 2.82 points per 60 plying with garland. He didn’t achieve that with any other linemate. His average for the season was 2.45.

For Pettersson, it’s even more pronounce. 2.52 points per 60 with garland, 1.6 per 60 season average. Again, his best production came with Garland compared to any other player. For example, with Chiasson EP scored 2.15 per 60, and with JT miller he scored 2.38.

So even though petey can still score really well without Garland, his best production came when they were together. Ditto miller.

I think having a guy that gets the best out of your top players is very valuable

I can see why you think that based on those numbers. Based on what I saw this season, I would attribute those bumps in production with Miller and Pettersson getting hot and Garland happening to be the winger with them. Those two guys were the clear play drivers on the line making things happen.

With Miller the increase in production isn't that significant. Consider that Miller also played with an ice cold Boeser for a long time; that likely pulled Miller's numbers down and then Garland restored them back to normal, and then JT was also on a tear during that time too. Playing without an anchor and simply being on a hot streak are two things I would consider as reasons for that increase.

For Pettersson, comparisons to his season average are meaningless because he really had two seasons this year; one where he was abysmal and one where he was the best player on the ice every shift. The first 50ish games pull his season numbers down considerably, so whoever he was playing with at that time will suffer as a result. He was so red hot that it didn't matter who he was playing with.

To be honest, the numbers don't mean that much to me because I am falling back on the eye test from all of the games I watched this year. There were a lot of games where Garland was lackluster and didn't do much. He was consistently late to battles, throwing the puck away, making bad reads off his teammates, losing puck battles and in general just chasing the play. He had a hot streak to start the year and to end it, but for a while he was not as good as advertised. However, that can be attributed to coming to a new team, learning new systems, establishing chemistry with teammates, which is all on top of whatever was going on behind the scenes in the first half of the year and a coaching change to boot. Given all that, I would expect him to be better next year and personally I will hold him to a higher standard for all of the games I see. I'm not sure if he actually will be better, but if he's not it would be a disappointment in my eyes.

On top of that, I think both Podkolzin and Hoglander are young wingers who play a similar style to Garland and would fill a similar role. You can't have enough energy on your team, but that's a reason why I think trading Garland would be easier to recover from as an organization compared to trading Boeser.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll