Forums/Armchair-GM

Re-Allocating Cap Space

Created by: TraeYoung
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 21, 2022
Published: May 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hey everyone! I know it’s in the middle of the Oilers playoff run and things are going well with this roster so far but I think they have the potential for an interesting off-season and I wanted to throw out some different ideas than your typical ones with some usual stuff mixed in too. Remember, this is for fun and NOT a prediction by any means! Let me break down these trades and signings. This is for fun, don’t get all insane in those comments.

Most of the signings come from the Evolving Hockey contract projections. Those are usually pretty good at being in the ballpark of the offers that the players end up getting.

Nuge trade:
Nugent-Hopkins is a good player and a fan favorite. However, his money can best be allocated into two roster spots. Here comes the veteran, right-handed face off winning and playoff experiences Jeff Carter. He was fantastic with the Penguins last season and the first half of this season. He wore down a bit and had inconsistent line mates. I’d argue he fits what Edmonton needs in their bottom six. Veteran, two-way guys who can put the puck in the net. Danton Heinen had a resurgence year with Pittsburgh and found some chemistry at times with Carter and Malkin. He’s versatile in his ability to play either wing and he can move up and down a lineup with ease. Solid skater and a knack for going on goal scoring streaks. Two picks help even out the value. Conditions could be placed to make the picks go either way.

Tyson Barrie trade:
Buffalo has a lot of left handed defenseman and The Athletic’s John Vogl discussed the possibility of the Sabres using draft capital to acquire some help on the right side of their D. They need partners for Dahlin and Power. Barrie isn’t a perfect fit but he’s a flip panel asset if anything. Think of Nick Leddy going to Detroit last year. Young team gets a veteran D who they can flip after getting any potential benefit. Edmonton recoups cap space and a current draft asset.

Arizona cap dump with Puljujarvi:
The Coyotes will look to continue picking up assets with taking on salary. The Oilers are a good match for this. The catch in this scenario is instead of picking up a pick, the Coyotes get Jesse Puljujarvi. He’s a young right winger who’s seen some inconsistency in Edmonton. A change of scenery could be necessary as the Oilers look to invest their cap space in other places than with the pending RFA. Kassian is the only multi-year contract in this deal for Arizona besides Jesse. Ryan and Smith don’t have to be moved and they are expiring contracts. That’s what allows the Coyotes to surrender a current draft asset in this deal. It seems contradictory to their strategies as they wouldn’t usually give up a pick however this is a gamble on Puljujarvi realizing his potential. I think it’s worth it for Arizona and Edmonton especially if the latter used the cap space well.

Signings:
Vile Husso- Younger goaltender who stands as a long-term upgrade over Mike Smith. The latter has his good moments but he’s not the future and he’s inconsistent at times. Husso gained playoff experience already this year and would look to build off of that.

Ilya Mikheyev - Middle six winger who can play the penalty kill and put up roughly half a point per game this season. He adds depth scoring to this team and has lineup versatility.

Mark Pysyk - The veteran right handed defenseman put up solid analytics in a third pair role in Buffalo. I’d imagine he’d do even better with a better team in front of him. Cost-effective deal depending on the market.

Nick Bjugstad - Depth forward with size and versatility. He may not be physical but he has size and can play center or wing. He’s had solid scoring seasons in the past and you’d hope for his two way game to show up on a consistent basis. Low risk signing.

Sami Niku - Low risk, high reward left handed defenseman. He’s young and a strong skater with a feel for the puck. He’s someone that if given the chance, could breakout on the right team. Travis Dermott-esque. If it doesn’t work, oh well.

Overall, I think this lineup has more depth scoring and is stronger in net. The D is questionable still but if you believe Bouchard will continue to grow and Broberg can hold his own, then it should be perfectly fine. Keith’s contract would be off the book in a year, allowing for upgrades after that.

I know this will be unpopular due to trading Nuge and Puljujarvi. The latter is not a common name in trade talks for good reason but I don’t think it should be scoffed at. You should consider your options with any non-McDavid and Draisaitl player. I think Puljujarvi shows up in trade talks due to his contract status so I ran with that in this scenario. Good luck to the Oilers the rest of the way and we’ll see how everything plays out. Thanks for reading everyone!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,660,000
2$3,450,000
2$900,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,250,000
5$4,750,000
2$800,000
1$900,000
4$3,250,000
3$1,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Carter, Jeff
  2. Heinen, Danton [RFA Rights]
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (PIT)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
EDM
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$81,737,795$896,000$2,200,000$762,205
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,660,000$4,660,000
RW
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2022 at 2:56 a.m.
At 1.3 Ryan is a great b6 defensive fwd who isn’t completely inept on offense
7 yrs is risky of RNH but he’s definitely an upgrade from Carter and would fit Pitt well
Buf could take that or not take that, difficult to say
Arz takes that
TraeYoung and gretzkyghosts liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 3:02 a.m.
Trae Young
Quoting: KPM12
At 1.3 Ryan is a great b6 defensive fwd who isn’t completely inept on offense
7 yrs is risky of RNH but he’s definitely an upgrade from Carter and would fit Pitt well
Buf could take that or not take that, difficult to say
Arz takes that

I appreciate the comment! Derek Ryan could definitely be kept in here instead of Bjugstad/Shore, I just wanted to make sure the cap space was enough for any bonuses or call-ups but I definitely agree there!

Nuge is definitely on a risky contract and I wanted to only do one 2nd round pick because of that but I don’t think that’d go over well here. Maybe a conditional pick instead. I think a team like Pittsburgh should be okay with a 7-year term there since by then, it won’t matter who’s on the team most likely. Only risk is if Nuge plays horrendously of course but that’s the gamble you take to upgrade over Carter who has two years more on his deal after his extension.

Buffalo would probably take it if they’re okay with the fit between Barrie and their LD. If not, maybe another team could be convinced by Barrie’s repertoire. Not sure as you said but I think it’s an interesting concept.

Thanks again for commenting and taking the time to read this!
May 21, 2022 at 3:14 a.m.
No thanks from buffalo. Some reason Oiler fans dont understand how Barrie is a cap dump. Wait maybe you do understand that based on your title, and you just think we are giving up an asset for a cap dump.
homiedaclown liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 3:26 a.m.
Trae Young
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
No thanks from buffalo. Some reason Oiler fans dont understand how Barrie is a cap dump. Wait maybe you do understand that based on your title, and you just think we are giving up an asset for a cap dump.

Not an Oilers fan but while I agree that Barrie has an unfavorable contract, there’s plenty of factors that go into what makes a player a cap dump and what beckons a cap dump trade. Nick Leddy was a cap dump last year but netted an asset as an analytically horrific defenseman. Teams bet on history and accolades and their ability to acclimate someone into their system and flip them if need be. The chances of hitting on a mid round pick and drafting someone who will make the NHL is a drastically small percentage. You take said mid round pick and flip it for what you deem to be valuable play or valuable off-ice traits. That’s why I didn’t make it a Barrie for a 2nd or 1st deal. I’m realistic in seeing his lack of value but his appeal to some teams and markets. For a team with cap space, taking a chance on Barrie for, let’s say a 4th round pick, is something you do. If it goes well or well enough, you’ll recoup that asset with retained salary at the deadline or even improve on it. Leddy received an asset for Detroit and Gostibehere for Arizona has been a steal.

I appreciate the comment and your taking the time to read this, however.
May 21, 2022 at 3:42 a.m.
Quoting: TraeYoung
Not an Oilers fan but while I agree that Barrie has an unfavorable contract, there’s plenty of factors that go into what makes a player a cap dump and what beckons a cap dump trade. Nick Leddy was a cap dump last year but netted an asset as an analytically horrific defenseman. Teams bet on history and accolades and their ability to acclimate someone into their system and flip them if need be. The chances of hitting on a mid round pick and drafting someone who will make the NHL is a drastically small percentage. You take said mid round pick and flip it for what you deem to be valuable play or valuable off-ice traits. That’s why I didn’t make it a Barrie for a 2nd or 1st deal. I’m realistic in seeing his lack of value but his appeal to some teams and markets. For a team with cap space, taking a chance on Barrie for, let’s say a 4th round pick, is something you do. If it goes well or well enough, you’ll recoup that asset with retained salary at the deadline or even improve on it. Leddy received an asset for Detroit and Gostibehere for Arizona has been a steal.

I appreciate the comment and your taking the time to read this, however.

We aren’t interested in bringing in a partner for Power and then turning around & flipping him
We’d be interested in a stable & solid defensively partner for him, but that’s not Barrie
We’ve already found a guy we like paired with Dahlin (Samuelsson), and we aren’t even necessarily looking to upgrade on Jokiharju. We’re open to the idea, but it’s gotta be the right guy at the right price.

Barrie simply is not the “right” guy

We’d want someone more defensively oriented, and have zero interest in an offensive minded defenseman.

Sabres pass
Barrie just isn’t a fit for what we’re looking for
May 21, 2022 at 3:50 a.m.
Trae Young
Quoting: Buffalove
We aren’t interested in bringing in a partner for Power and then turning around & flipping him
We’d be interested in a stable & solid defensively partner for him, but that’s not Barrie
We’ve already found a guy we like paired with Dahlin (Samuelsson), and we aren’t even necessarily looking to upgrade on Jokiharju. We’re open to the idea, but it’s gotta be the right guy at the right price.

Barrie simply is not the “right” guy

We’d want someone more defensively oriented, and have zero interest in an offensive minded defenseman.

Sabres pass
Barrie just isn’t a fit for what we’re looking for

And I can completely understand this logic as opposed to the above logic. I don’t believe the fit works with Barrie either but I could see it is an option if nothing else came up. Thanks for the comment and for taking the time to read this.
May 21, 2022 at 5:08 a.m.
Quoting: TraeYoung
And I can completely understand this logic as opposed to the above logic. I don’t believe the fit works with Barrie either but I could see it is an option if nothing else came up. Thanks for the comment and for taking the time to read this.

If nothing else comes up, then it’s possible
But it’s also quite possible we keep the same young lineup we had for the last part of the season

I could even say it’s probable that we’d value keeping our draft pick & continuing to develop our young talent over bringing in a defenseman who doesn’t fit what we’re looking for
May 21, 2022 at 6:01 a.m.
giving up on Pulji would be a mistake.
Kane is going to cost more and that is an overpay for Yamo.
I think McL looks better when he plays up in the lineup. He doesn't play 4th line style of play. If Nuge is moved McL should definitely take over 3rd line C
Foegle should be a guy thats moved this summer to free up cap space, over paid for what he brings.
Id resign Kulak before going for Pysyk.
If Letang doesnt return to Pitt or Kling to Dallas i could see Barrie being a good fit for a trade with them.
May 21, 2022 at 7:19 a.m.
Yeah Sabres decline, want nothing to do with Barrie.
May 21, 2022 at 8:06 a.m.
Save 750K on Husso and give 250K to Mikheyev. Give only about 2.95M and offer the 1.71M to Puljujarvi. Send Shore to the minors, and sign Puljujarvi to 3.5M.
May 21, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: KPM12
...Buf could take that or not take that, difficult to say...

@TraeYoung
As you can see most Sabre fans do not like this trade.
I find it difficult to understand how a team with $20,000,000 cap space, with only ONE RHD signed for next year would turn down and elite offensive defenseman while only giving up the 73rd OA pick.
He is averages 17:35 MIN/game in the play offs which is surprising if he is such a defensive liability.
I do not think that he would get much PP time in Buffalo unless Granato decided to play two defensemen on the point.
I would make this trade and anticipate getting a great return at the TDL.
TraeYoung and GMTD liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Pitt accepts
TraeYoung liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
Trae Young
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
TraeYoung
As you can see most Sabre fans do not like this trade.
I find it difficult to understand how a team with $20,000,000 cap space, with only ONE RHD signed for next year would turn down and elite offensive defenseman while only giving up the 73rd OA pick.
He is averages 17:35 MIN/game in the play offs which is surprising if he is such a defensive liability.
I do not think that he would get much PP time in Buffalo unless Granato decided to play two defensemen on the point.
I would make this trade and anticipate getting a great return at the TDL.

Don’t let anyone else read this lol. Thanks for the comment!
gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll