SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #2

May 22, 2022 at 8:14 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Let's start the 2nd thread with a banger, what team does Petry go to?
Mine: Petry to Dallas
For
Dellandrea + Khudobin + 3rd
May 22, 2022 at 8:34 p.m.
retired
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
For

detroit for veleno + caps 2nd
May 23, 2022 at 7:25 a.m.
LeafsStars
For

Columbus: Kevin Stenlund, Liam Foudy, and a 3rd
Habs retain 1.25 million
DirtyDangle liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
For

To: Montreal

For: Increased depression cases among Habs fans
May 23, 2022 at 10:23 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: DirtyDangle
detroit for veleno + caps 2nd

Wings fans would crucify you in ACGM for having Petry and Detroit in the same sentence.
DirtyDangle, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 3 others liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
retired
Quoting: SevenLeg
Wings fans would crucify you in ACGM for having Petry and Detroit in the same sentence.

lol they crucify everyone for everything
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 4 others liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.

why would they want a 3rd pair guy? they already have an elite #1 right shot 2-way defenseman and moritz seider
May 23, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Alfie11
why would they want a 3rd pair guy? they already have an elite #1 right shot 2-way defenseman and moritz seider

The only way Yzerman is interested is if the Habs attach their 2022 1st in exchange for future considerations
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 4 others liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Question is a little more for the Leaf crowd but does anyone else think the Leafs rushed into resigning Morgan? Hindsight what is is, but with or without Giordano, I’ve always kind of struggled if Rielly is a number 1 LD. Love the offence he create, great at moving the puck with speed but can’t defend against the rush, and can make some poor decisions without the puck.

Feels like they are making Sandin’s ascension to a more prominent role even harder with Rielly Muzzin and now Gio ahead of him. They could move him to his offside but he did not look comfortable at all in the short stint they tried him there this season.

I get the narrative they couldn’t let Morgan walk for nothing but you’ve got Gaudreau/Forsberg (some big names) also as FA, it happens.

Long winded way of saying I think they did, should have let this season play out, see where you stand, they look at a new deal or let him walk.

Thoughts?
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Question is a little more for the Leaf crowd but does anyone else think the Leafs rushed into resigning Morgan? Hindsight what is is, but with or without Giordano, I’ve always kind of struggled if Rielly is a number 1 LD. Love the offence he create, great at moving the puck with speed but can’t defend against the rush, and can make some poor decisions without the puck.

Feels like they are making Sandin’s ascension to a more prominent role even harder with Rielly Muzzin and now Gio ahead of him. They could move him to his offside but he did not look comfortable at all in the short stint they tried him there this season.

I get the narrative they couldn’t let Morgan walk for nothing but you’ve got Gaudreau/Forsberg (some big names) also as FA, it happens.

Long winded way of saying I think they did, should have let this season play out, see where you stand, they look at a new deal or let him walk.

Thoughts?

Who is the #1 if Rielly is not signed and they sign Forsberg/Gaudreau instead? I think they did well by locking in Rielly.
MatthewsFan, aadoyle, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Who is the #1 if Rielly is not signed and they sign Forsberg/Gaudreau instead? I think they did well by locking in Rielly.

No idea, not suggesting Sandin is ready for that YET, but concern is Sandin might not ever get that opportunity to fully breakout with Rielly, Muzzin, and Gio all here now.

There is no one on the FA market I like and outside of a Chychrun deal, it's slim picks on the LD side. Just struggling to see where everyone fits next year. A Muzzin trade is possible I guess.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
No idea, not suggesting Sandin is ready for that YET, but concern is Sandin might not ever get that opportunity to fully breakout with Rielly, Muzzin, and Gio all here now.

There is no one on the FA market I like and outside of a Chychrun deal, it's slim picks on the LD side. Just struggling to see where everyone fits next year. A Muzzin trade is possible I guess.

At this point I'd be willing to try and use Sandin to add either a starting goalie or a 1LW. At this point, he's probably not going to play much, unless it's on his off side. His talent will be wasted sitting in the press box. It's a good problem that they have on their hands, but it's still a problem. A Muzzin trade is also a possibility. Not sure what I would rather see: Muzzin or Sandin traded. Probably Muzzin.
May 23, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.
WentWughes

Thoughts?

He's not really worth that, but the Leafs won't find a better one in FA or late in the 1st round so it's better than any available options for them.
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
At this point I'd be willing to try and use Sandin to add either a starting goalie or a 1LW. At this point, he's probably not going to play much, unless it's on his off side. His talent will be wasted sitting in the press box. It's a good problem that they have on their hands, but it's still a problem. A Muzzin trade is also a possibility. Not sure what I would rather see: Muzzin or Sandin traded. Probably Muzzin.

That's my worry, because outside of Sandin they have no real depth on the LD to crack the NHL (Kral, Rubins, Kokkonen all very much long shots) there is no knocking on the door to replace Sandin if you do trade him.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
WentWughes

Claude Julien hockey baby
May 23, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He's not really worth that, but the Leafs won't find a better one in FA or late in the 1st round so it's better than any available options for them.

"he's not really worth that" (he was 3rd in scoring behind Josi and Makar) he is worth the deal, just not sure where Muzzin and Sandin fit in with the Gio signing. But agreed, the options outside of Morgan are not very high at all in FA to replace him.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Go leafs go
That's my worry, because outside of Sandin they have no real depth on the LD to crack the NHL (Kral, Rubins, Kokkonen all very much long shots) there is no knocking on the door to replace Sandin if you do trade him.

That's a good point. The answer there is probably to pick a left d with the 2022 first rounder (not a draft expert in the slightest, so don't ask me who exactly they would pick, I have no idea lol).

To be clear, I don't want to trade Sandin, but it just seems like bad asset managment to play him either on his off side or not play him. That, and he'd be a valuable asset in a trade.
May 23, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
That's a good point. The answer there is probably to pick a left d with the 2022 first rounder (not a draft expert in the slightest, so don't ask me who exactly they would pick, I have no idea lol).

To be clear, I don't want to trade Sandin, but it just seems like bad asset managment to play him either on his off side or not play him. That, and he'd be a valuable asset in a trade.

Sandin is playing if he is on this roster, either his offside or strong side, he won't sit. And I hear you, I don't want him traded either.

With Morgan here for the next 8 years LD can wait, Leafs need a dynamic C in the worst way. Should be the top priority this draft
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
retired
move sandin for a goalie now. leafs are going to miss their prime window if they dont go for it. reilly, muzzin, gio, brodie, lilegren is good enough to get by without sandin.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
WentWughes

Imagine losing 2-0 to Denmark lmao
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 3 others liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Go leafs go
Sandin is playing if he is on this roster, either his offside or strong side, he won't sit. And I hear you, I don't want him traded either.

With Morgan here for the next 8 years LD can wait, Leafs need a dynamic C in the worst way. Should be the top priority this draft

Agreed without any big changes a centre would be the biggest need for the leafs.

As for Sandin, where does he play? He's not playing over Rielly, Muzz or Gio. So that mean either him or one of those guys has to play on their off side. Probably Sandin. What if he can't play his offside very well though? He might get stuck sitting some games.

Though like you said, a Muzzin trade is possible if he will waive his NMC. That might be the best option. Only problem is Muzzin is the most physical and the only guy with cup experience (outside of Clifford if you want to count him). So unless you are getting another guy like that, I don't think trading him is a good idea.
May 23, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: DirtyDangle
move sandin for a goalie now. leafs are going to miss their prime window if they dont go for it. reilly, muzzin, gio, brodie, lilegren is good enough to get by without sandin.

Sandin for Gibson confirmed.
DirtyDangle and zk97 liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

One solution I dont see anyone talk about that can both address the forward depth and allow Sandin to play full time is to try Rielly at the forward position

It sounds crazy but if you think about it rn it makes sense

Rielly has all the tools that make for a good offensive Dman, his one problem his point shot. Thats all but eliminated at the forward position.

Other teams have done it in the past. I dont see the harm in trying it as then you can run a Dcore of

Muzzin-Brodie
Gio-Liligren
Sandin- New guy or Lybushkin (re-signed)
May 23, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
One solution I dont see anyone talk about that can both address the forward depth and allow Sandin to play full time is to try Rielly at the forward position

It sounds crazy but if you think about it rn it makes sense

Rielly has all the tools that make for a good offensive Dman, his one problem his point shot. Thats all but eliminated at the forward position.

Other teams have done it in the past. I dont see the harm in trying it as then you can run a Dcore of

Muzzin-Brodie
Gio-Liligren
Sandin- New guy or Lybushkin (re-signed)

That does not make sense to me but entitled to your own opinion. I was raised if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all lol
DucharmetheDOMinator and zk97 liked this.
May 23, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.

Thoughts?

Rielly’s your best defensemen, you can’t afford to let him go, he’s still a good top pair D. If you want to go for it Rielly, Muzzin, Gio and Sandin is a good left side ( Muzzin could be dealt to clear cap space too )

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Imagine losing 2-0 to Denmark lmao

It’s only the 1st, France was beating the Swiss 2-0 after 1 and lost 5-2, game not even close to done

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll