SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #2

Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:13 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I don’t think Korchinski’s defensive game is too good right now, but it doesn’t really have to be in junior. Imo he’s got all the tools (NHL frame, good skater) to succeed as a 2-way D. He’ll probably need a year or two in the AHL, but that’s pretty typical of defensemen imo, there are rarely more than 1-2 D per draft that take less than 3 years to develop (like even Power went back to college, L. Hughes and Sanderson both did/are doing 2 years of college). Bischel has all the tools to be a Cernak type on the left side (big defensive stalwart), and Pickering is kinda in this vein too, but imo their puck skills/hockey sense aren’t necessarily gonna be NHL level, and I’d be more comfortable with either of them as the #3 guy, whereas I view Korchinski as being able to be a #2 (I think a good coach can take his size, brain, and skating and help him improve his defense, and there are obviously no concerns about his offense).

I really like Lekkerimaki, but the Ducks already have two right shot goal scorers in Terry and Perreault, and McTavish isn’t exactly a playmaker either. I think they could use a bigger guy but that still has a good shot to complement Zegras (like McGroarty or Snuggerud) or more of a higher skill guy that can make plays and that can afford to be undersized for McTavish (like Howard or Mesar).

At the end of the day, I think what it boils down to is that I’m more of a fan of Anabeim’s future up front, led by Zegras, McTavish, and Terry, than I am of Drysdale and a bunch of 2nd-3rd pair guys on the back end, so I’d use the higher pick to take a higher upside defenseman if I was Verbeek. Especially if I’m confident in my development team to help him focus more on his own end (which given his tools, should be reasonable to expect). I think there’s a lot more cases where guys who are great offensively and project highly because of that learn to round out their defensive game when they turn pro than cases where a defensive rock suddenly develops enough skill to be considered a true top pair guy (and obviously if a guy has both in junior, he’s going top 5 lol).

I just like to look for certain things when accessing a player's future defensive abilities. While this doesn't always work, it does sometimes. I'll definitely rewatch some of Korchinski's tape to see if something sticks out to me.

That's my main concern with drafting Lekkerimäki, as I've said in this thread a few posts earlier.

I do have confidence in the Ducks' development staff, I think I'm just a bit "scared" if you want to call it that since Drysdale's defensive game hasn't been all that good. But it's only his second pro season and he just turned 20. He can still develop that defensive game. At the moment I think one of Mintyukov, Korchinski, Gauthier and Lambert (maybe Nazar) would be the optimal pick at 10.
Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Sorry meant Gauthier. He’s expected to go in the 6-8 range now that he might move to centre. He’s such an Ottawa pick . And both Detroit and Columbus are both looking for centres

Sadly, it would be unfortunate for the Ducks if he were gone by 10. I don't really think he'd be a C with the Ducks. Him playing C at BC doesn't change that imo, Zegras also played LW in the NCAA but is Center in the NHL.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: csick
Rumour is Montreal is trading down from 1 to 2 in order to dump Josh Anderson. More to come

Montreal will end up getting an early 1st if they trade Anderson IMO.

He doesn't have value to you, but he does to GMs
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

An early 1st? I can't see that happening.
zk97 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:22 p.m.
retired
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

sad to say but i could see him getting a 2022 1st since i think there are some gm's who like him and the 2022 draft doesn't look good. i just hope it's someone else's gm.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: TZ11
I just like to look for certain things when accessing a player's future defensive abilities. While this doesn't always work, it does sometimes. I'll definitely rewatch some of Korchinski's tape to see if something sticks out to me.

That's my main concern with drafting Lekkerimäki, as I've said in this thread a few posts earlier.

I do have confidence in the Ducks' development staff, I think I'm just a bit "scared" if you want to call it that since Drysdale's defensive game hasn't been all that good. But it's only his second pro season and he just turned 20. He can still develop that defensive game. At the moment I think one of Mintyukov, Korchinski, Gauthier and Lambert (maybe Nazar) would be the optimal pick at 10.

I think Mintyukov would probably have the edge over Korchinski due to a slightly better defensive game if he wasn’t Russian, and Mateychuk is a little undersized for the Ducks imo (having 3 of your projected top 4 be under 6’ isn’t great). Gauthier would probably be close to a steal at 10, most scouts seem to think he’s going in the 5-8 range (Philadelphia, Columbus, and Detroit need a centre, and Ottawa loves big guys that can skate, even though he’d probably play LW). Lambert’s upside is enormous, but his flaws make him a reach at 10 imo. He’s more likely to go in the 18-25 range I reckon, I’d rather take Nazar/Kasper/Lekkerimaki around that slot.

Btw are you subscribed to the Athletic? Pronman’s article today (NHL draft confidential) had a lot of interesting insight from anonymous NHL execs/scouts about how they view guys. Apparently the private sphere views guys a lot differently than the public sphere (higher on guys like Korchinski, Gauthier, Kasper, Kulich and lower on guys like Lambert, Nazar, Savoie, even some Kemell/Lekmerimaki doubt). Not that that’s overly surprising (who woulda guessed that hockey men like the bigger guys more lol), but it’s still interesting to read.
TZ11 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1536814336206848007?s=20&t=AsM-LRf8XFoG_Uoabkb3bg
Huge Knights dub
Best coach on the market, you know the coach is good when he gets a new job in a week. Good for Vegas for not getting Torts or Trotz. They go for the biggest guy available. Classic Vegas.
So,.... remember what Cassidy said? How will he bring Bergeron to LV?

Not sure why it didn't work for you. If it happens again please let banks know
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I think Mintyukov would probably have the edge over Korchinski due to a slightly better defensive game if he wasn’t Russian, and Mateychuk is a little undersized for the Ducks imo (having 3 of your projected top 4 be under 6’ isn’t great). Gauthier would probably be close to a steal at 10, most scouts seem to think he’s going in the 5-8 range (Philadelphia, Columbus, and Detroit need a centre, and Ottawa loves big guys that can skate, even though he’d probably play LW). Lambert’s upside is enormous, but his flaws make him a reach at 10 imo. He’s more likely to go in the 18-25 range I reckon, I’d rather take Nazar/Kasper/Lekkerimaki around that slot.

Btw are you subscribed to the Athletic? Pronman’s article today (NHL draft confidential) had a lot of interesting insight from anonymous NHL execs/scouts about how they view guys. Apparently the private sphere views guys a lot differently than the public sphere (higher on guys like Korchinski, Gauthier, Kasper, Kulich and lower on guys like Lambert, Nazar, Savoie, even some Kemell/Lekmerimaki doubt). Not that that’s overly surprising (who woulda guessed that hockey men like the bigger guys more lol), but it’s still interesting to read.

That's why I'm not a fan of Mateychuk to the Ducks. I think Lambert should go in the 12-18 range personally. I don't think Mintyukov's nationality will have an impact on his draft position since he plays in North America already anyways. At the moment I'm leaning towards Mintyukov at 10 (if Gauthier isn't there) and someone like Kulich, Snuggerud or Trikozov at 21.

Not subscribed but I've seen someone mentioning that article. It's that way almost every year and guys fall that the public was very high on but I still surprises me every single year lol.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:47 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
[/tweet]

Not sure why it didn't work for you. If it happens again please let banks know

pain.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 7:53 p.m.
Jinx god
Now with Cassidy gone, Stars will probably hire DeBoer…

thumb_84-noose-meme-generator-imgflip-selection-of-noose-man-stock-54065193.png
yikes liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:22 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO

Pleas tell me this is a reliable source
csick, Juiceman and zk97 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:25 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
When I press submit, it says this just above submit: A maximum of 3 users can be mentioned with the @ operator in a post
I think you can do it because you're a mod...how do I let banks know?
It even doesn't work when I quote your post, just with nothing, just your post, and the same response appears
@BeterChiarelli
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:33 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
According to Darren Dreger, A Rasmus Sandin Offersheet is in the works
Which team would be doing this?
Islanders or Wings is what I think
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:38 p.m.
retired

a bunch of team should. both sandin and lilegren.

i got called a troll for saying this would happen.
csick, A_Habs_fan and TZ11 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:38 p.m.
KFTW

islanders 🤪
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Saves us the trouble of a contract negotiation but I doubt he signs an OS or will be available for one as he and Liligren will probs be signed before FA starts as since they got no arbitration negotiations should go quicker.

But in general Offersheets ruin a players image especially if their team matches and they return as their teammates will view them differently which is often why players dont sign them.

Theres a reason only 5 since 2010 and one was a revenge one that Carolina is probs regretting rn

Marner was a classic example he got 3 OS for 13+mill and went nah
csick liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: Gmonwy

Pleas tell me this is a reliable source

Jun. 14, 2022 at 8:49 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Steve Satios, Hamilton Bulldogs GM has been linked to the habs front office. Likely to get a position.
That's good, as he traded for 2 good habs prospects this year in Mysak & Xhehaj, he can help the organization with them, he also seems like a good GM
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
K I have done it

2022 Buyout Candidates

1. Myers (Nashville)
2. Kassian
3. Poolman
4. White
5. Murray
6. Mrazek
7. Zucker
8. Nemeth
9. Foligno (Boston)
10. Scandella

X candidate = Monahan

2022 Non-Qualify Candidates

1. Stenlund
2. Blais
3. Gaudette
4. Gambrell
5. Mete
6. Strome (Chicago) might move to X candidate
7. Kunin

X candidate = Wood
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:35 p.m.
retired
Quoting: aadoyle
K I have done it

2022 Buyout Candidates

1. Myers (Nashville)
2. Kassian
3. Poolman
4. White
5. Murray
6. Mrazek
7. Zucker
8. Nemeth
9. Foligno (Boston)
10. Scandella

X candidate = Monahan

1. Stenlund
2. Blais
3. Gaudette
4. Gambrell
5. Mete
7. Kunin

X candidate = Wood

kubalik? $ 4m q.o.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM

where did he say this? cant find it on twitter so im assuming some podcast or something?
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
K I have done it

2022 Buyout Candidates

1. Myers (Nashville)
2. Kassian
3. Poolman
4. White
5. Murray
6. Mrazek
7. Zucker
8. Nemeth
9. Foligno (Boston)
10. Scandella

X candidate = Monahan

1. Stenlund
2. Blais
3. Gaudette
4. Gambrell
5. Mete
7. Kunin

X candidate = Wood

Predictions if any of these happens:

Will these get Bought out?

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes
6. No
7. No
8. No
9. No
10. Yes
Monohan = No

Will these go unqualified?

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Yes. Already confirmed he won't be qualified by Dorion saying it himself
6. No
7. No
Wood = No
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Zuki9797
where did he say this? cant find it on twitter so im assuming some podcast or something?

Yes, a podcast, I believe
zk97 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 9:53 p.m.
Jinx god
K I have done it

2022 Buyout Candidates

1. Myers (Nashville)
2. Kassian
3. Poolman
4. White
5. Murray
6. Mrazek
7. Zucker
8. Nemeth
9. Foligno (Boston)
10. Scandella

X candidate = Monahan

1. Stenlund
2. Blais
3. Gaudette
4. Gambrell
5. Mete
7. Kunin

X candidate = Wood

Suter and Faksa, if not traded, should be bought out.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
retired
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Suter and Faksa, if not traded, should be bought out.

maybe they can turn it around with a new coach

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll