Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 4
Taxi Squad
$850,000$850,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 24, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
Banned
Leafsnation: Minnesota has no need for Justin holl
May 24, 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
Hide yo girl
Throw in Matthew Knies or Topi Neimela and Habs accept

Wild have no interest in Holl

Ducks aren’t giving up their franchise goaltender for your scraps
Lenny7 and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Lol at the leafs adding for webers deal.
This site needs an ltir Education section linked every time someone tries to trade a dead contract like that
Webers contract is not of value at all. You need to pay to move him. You cannot just put him on ltir and get free cap space, it prevent teams from banking cap space they can use at the deadline.
It would costthe habs a ton to move him to a team trying to compete
May 24, 2022 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: MP55
Throw in Matthew Knies or Topi Neimela and Habs accept

Wild have no interest in Holl

Ducks aren’t giving up their franchise goaltender for your scraps

You should look into how ltir contracts work
May 24, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
Hide yo girl
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
You should look into how ltir contracts work

Care to elaborate on what exactly I got wrong here? Weber’s contract has negligible value, it’ll get flipped for future considerations. Knies/Neimela is to entice your arch rivals to do you a favour in taking that terrible Mrazek contract.
Taz liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:15 a.m.
Care to elaborate?

As above. Ltir is not free capspace. It has massive downsides especially for teams trying to compete.
And it always, and i mean always costs to move those contacts out. You do not get value for dumping them
May 24, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
Hide yo girl
As above. Ltir is not free capspace. It has massive downsides especially for teams trying to compete.
And it always, and i mean always costs to move those contacts out. You do not get value for dumping them

I amended my comment above. Weber will get moved for nothing to a team like Arizona trying to reach the cap floor. Knies/Neimela is to get the Habs, the leafs’ bitter rivals, to do them a favour in taking the Mrazek contract. There’s a Habs-Leafs premium there
May 24, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
I amended my comment above. Weber will get moved for nothing to a team like Arizona trying to reach the cap floor. Knies/Neimela is to get the Habs, the leafs’ bitter rivals, to do them a favour in taking the Mrazek contract. There’s a Habs-Leafs premium there

It cost the wings chychrun (moved back for chonwolski) o take a year of Datsyuk's dead contract so it would take a lot more for 3 years of weber.
As far as a rivalry tax, it wouldn't cost half that value to move him to another team, so the proposed tax is still too high.
Either way the leafs are just gonna buy him out if it takes real value to move him
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:23 a.m.
Owly

You are not wrong. The rules on this site state that the Leafs always have to massively overpay for anything. All their players are cap dumps and no one will ever take on the salary of their star players.
May 24, 2022 at 10:25 a.m.
Lenny7

Going to take a wild stab in the dark here, but IMO, the alleged "Habs-Leafs premium" exists only in the minds of Habs and Leafs fans.

Do the two teams deal with each other often? Absolutely not. When they have, has their been some sort of hilarious "premium" put on deals? Not to my knowledge. The last trade between them was for the Leafs to acquire Habs lifer Tomas Plekanec at the deadline (when teams typically pay a premium). What did the Habs get? A 2nd, and two "meh" prospects.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
Hide yo girl
Quoting: Lenny7
Going to take a wild stab in the dark here, but IMO, the alleged "Habs-Leafs premium" exists only in the minds of Habs and Leafs fans.

Do the two teams deal with each other often? Absolutely not. When they have, has their been some sort of hilarious "premium" put on deals? Not to my knowledge. The last trade between them was for the Leafs to acquire Habs lifer Tomas Plekanec at the deadline (when teams typically pay a premium). What did the Habs get? A 2nd, and two "meh" prospects.

Fun fact, the two “meh” prospects were essentially moved for Brett Kulak, who then played several solid seasons for the Habs and just fetched them a second round pick at the deadline.
May 24, 2022 at 10:32 a.m.
It cost the wings chychrun (moved back for chonwolski) o take a year of Datsyuk's dead contract so it would take a lot more for 3 years of weber.
As far as a rivalry tax, it wouldn't cost half that value to move him to another team, so the proposed tax is still too high.
Either way the leafs are just gonna buy him out if it takes real value to move him

They have since changed the ltir rules so the downside no longer applies
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.

May want to go relook at that trade.... Detroit in return got a 1st (20thOA moved down 4 spots) a 2nd and Vitale so that part was flat out wrong, also Weber's contract is not at all like Datsyuk where Arizona owed nearly his entire AAV in real $$$, Weber will only be getting 3.5 mil this year and than 1mil the next two, so it saves them over 3 mil this year and 6 mil per the following two to help reach the floor as they play in a 4,500 seat arena (His only value is to Arizona)

Aside from that the habs arent going to be taking on cap this offseason if anything they will be actively looking to shed.
MP55 and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:34 a.m.
Hide yo girl

I don’t know about the team’s salary cap pictures at the time of the trade, but from spending 30 seconds reading a sportsnet article I believe these scenarios are different. The Red Wings were desperately trying to keep a contention window open, so they needed to clear that cap no matter the cost. I think this trade is similar to the leafs dumping Marleau. The Habs situation with Weber is they’re not trying to contend, they’re not completely screwed if they can’t move him, and Ken Holland isn’t their GM. There’s also a team in Arizona that can benefit from this contract, as they’re miles below the cap floor and are trying to tank again.

A Mrazek to Montreal trade doesn’t make sense. The Habs are in cap hell next year (kinda funny cause they finished last and are still stuck) and probably can’t even afford a Mrazek dump. The leafs are better off flipping him somewhere else not to a team that will also be trying to clear cap.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Quoting: habs_need_Scoring
May want to go relook at that trade.... Detroit in return got a 1st (20thOA moved down 4 spots) a 2nd and Vitale so that part was flat out wrong, also Weber's contract is not at all like Datsyuk where Arizona owed nearly his entire AAV in real $$$, Weber will only be getting 3.5 mil this year and than 1mil the next two, so it saves them over 3 mil this year and 6 mil per the following two to help reach the floor as they play in a 4,500 seat arena (His only value is to Arizona)

Aside from that the habs arent going to be taking on cap this offseason if anything they will be actively looking to shed.

Arizona just moved into a college building because they are so broke. There is a flat cap because owners are trying to recoup covid losses. It would cost the habs to move him
May 24, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Lenny7
Fun fact, the two “meh” prospects were essentially moved for Brett Kulak, who then played several solid seasons for the Habs and just fetched them a second round pick at the deadline.

Funner fun fact: Kulak had been waived by the Flames two months earlier in the offseason. Some players get good'er in the right systems, some players don't.

Hockey is funny like that..just from a Ducks fan perspective, teams could have had Adam Henrique for nothing last year when he was waived...this year he had 42 points in 58 games, Milano was waived at the start of the year and put up excellent numbers with Zegras/Terry (though unfortunately Dallas Eakins is a poopoo head and prefers to play Zegras with Gerry Mayhew and Derek Grant).

I'm pretty sure the Flames waived Kylington at some point over the past year or so as well, which seems funny.
OldNYIfan and MP55 liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:38 a.m.

You're just going to omit that Arizona also gave Detroit a 2nd round pick too, huh? All Datsyuk did was slightly bring down the cost of Arizona moving up. Basically nil value. Which is worse than what the rumours of Weber's contract's value are.

But even if it doesn't, it pales in comparison to acquiring an overpaid goaltender with term that Montreal doesn't need in the first place.

Weber's contract is insured, its going to cost less than that.
MP55 liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
I don’t know about the team’s salary cap pictures at the time of the trade, but from spending 30 seconds reading a sportsnet article I believe these scenarios are different. The Red Wings were desperately trying to keep a contention window open, so they needed to clear that cap no matter the cost. I think this trade is similar to the leafs dumping Marleau. The Habs situation with Weber is they’re not trying to contend, they’re not completely screwed if they can’t move him, and Ken Holland isn’t their GM. There’s also a team in Arizona that can benefit from this contract, as they’re miles below the cap floor and are trying to tank again.

A Mrazek to Montreal trade doesn’t make sense. The Habs are in cap hell next year (kinda funny cause they finished last and are still stuck) and probably can’t even afford a Mrazek dump. The leafs are better off flipping him somewhere else not to a team that will also be trying to clear cap.

The habs dont have to move weber, sure, but that doesnt mean it wouldn't cost to move him.
As far as the marleau trade, that was only a thing because he was healthy, couldnt be put in ltir and lou gave him a full NMC so he had to agree to any trade, so the only teams hed agree to were san jose or another team that would buy him out so he could sign in san jose. The leafs were screwed no matter what they did there. That's not like the weber thing at all. Or the Mrazek thing, since he's got a stupid cheap buyout that they can just do instead of blowing assets
May 24, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.
Arizona just moved into a college building because they are so broke. There is a flat cap because owners are trying to recoup covid losses. It would cost the habs to move him

are you purposefully trying to reinforce my point? They are broke, so it has value to add a contract that basically gives you 3.5 mil of cap hit you dont have to pay (LTIR is irrelevant) then 6 mil of cap hit the following two years...that you dont have to pay. Covid loses has litterally nothin to do with it, if there wasnt a flat cap and it goes up...guess what happens to the cap floor it also goes up making weber's contract even more attractive to them.. lol

Hes going to be dealt to Arizona almost as soon as trades as open again, and its going to be for some small asset a 5th or some **** and i will be happy when its over with as its probably going to be one of the most insignificant moves of the offseason
MP55 liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: Burnout
You're just going to omit that Arizona also gave Detroit a 2nd round pick too, huh? All Datsyuk did was slightly bring down the cost of Arizona moving up. Basically nil value. Which is worse than what the rumours of Weber's contract's value are.

But even if it doesn't, it pales in comparison to acquiring an overpaid goaltender with term that Montreal doesn't need in the first place.

Weber's contract is insured, its going to cost less than that.

A late 2nd doesn't make up the value when chychrun was on the board, and like i said one year during a much healthier financial time.
Weber's contract being insured means nothing since the yotes wont be putting him on ltir, they have to pay him because the entire point is to use him to reach the floor
May 24, 2022 at 10:44 a.m.
are you purposefully trying to reinforce my point? They are broke, so it has value to add a contract that basically gives you 3.5 mil of cap hit you dont have to pay (LTIR is irrelevant) then 6 mil of cap hit the following two years...that you dont have to pay. Covid loses has litterally nothin to do with it, if there wasnt a flat cap and it goes up...guess what happens to the cap floor it also goes up making weber's contract even more attractive to them.. lol

Hes going to be dealt to Arizona almost as soon as trades as open again, and its going to be for some small asset a 5th or some **** and i will be happy when its over with as its probably going to be one of the most insignificant moves of the offseason

You have to pay a player if he isnt on ltir because insurance doesnt cover him if he's healthy enough to play
May 24, 2022 at 10:46 a.m.
You have to pay a player if he isnt on ltir because insurance doesnt cover him if he's healthy enough to play

yes, and thats what arizona wants to do, pay him 3mil to count at a 7.7 cap hit, and then pay him 1mil to count as a 7.7 mil cap hit. you can see how 3 is smaller than 7.7? they wont place him on LTIR because that isnt what they would be acquiring him for.

And again there arent going to giv up the world for him, but the habs certainly wont be paying them to take him,.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:50 a.m.
Banned
Minnesota again says no to both of your holl proposals. We don't want him
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
A late 2nd doesn't make up the value when chychrun was on the board, and like i said one year during a much healthier financial time.
Weber's contract being insured means nothing since the yotes wont be putting him on ltir, they have to pay him because the entire point is to use him to reach the floor

You're looking at 2016 draft with hindsight. If Chychrun was that exciting for Detroit, then they're not making that trade. They got the D they wanted at the time anyways.

You're also confusing how insurance works. Insurance pays out for players on the regular IR, LTIR is just a cap relief mechanism (which is pretty obvious if you've just looked at what they're doing with Bryan Little). But lets be clear, if the Coyotes couldn't get an insurance payout for a player to help them reach the cap floor, then Weber would have more value to them, not less since there isn't a contract in the league with his combination of high cap hit and low actual salary.
habs_need_Scoring and MP55 liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
Bmurch

Way to misrepresent the trade. The 16th overall pick was traded with Datsyuk for the 20th overall pick and a 2nd round pick. That's just a normal price to trade up 4 spots in the draft. Also Datsyuk had 5.5 of real money to be paid out, Weber has 6 million over 4 years. It absolutely did not cost Chychrun to trade Datsyuk, and the fact that you left out the whole trade shows you know it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll