Forums/Armchair-GM

For the Leafs Fans

Created by: njlaforte
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 24, 2022
Published: May 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The price for Hellebuyck would be more than you could imagine. When was the last time a top 3 goalie in the league got traded? It was probably Patrick Roy, so it doesn't happen often.

In a Hellebuyck trade, the Jets would definitely want a goalie prospect back, and TOR doesn't really have one that could turn into a solid starter. The only one that could make it is Joseph Woll.

Another piece in the trade would have to be a young RHD which the Leafs have a few of. In a Hellebuyck trade, I would want Liljegren.

If the base for a trade involving a top 10 player at their position is a 1st, top prospect, and young roster player, then a top 3 player at their position would cost more right? So Liljegren is the young roster player, so we would need a top prospect. The Leafs top prospects IMO are Knies, Robertson, Amirov or Niemela. Obviously Amirov is not getting traded right now, but the other 3 could be the top prospect in the deal. I would want Knies.

With a 1st added on to Liljegren, Woll, and Knies, that would be the base for a top 10 player at the position, so there would have to be something else of significant value added on. That could be a William Nylander. Looking at the Leafs roster, there isn't any other player that would make sense being added to this trade, except Sandin and Bunting. They are obviously not trading Matthews, Marner or Rielly, and no one would take on JT.

I would be very surprised if Hellebuyck gets traded, but if a package like this is on the table I think you have to consider it. The Leafs are missing that elite goalie, they have the forwards and defensemen to go far in the playoffs, but they are just missing a goalie.
Trades
WPG
  1. Knies, Matthew [Reserve List]
  2. Liljegren, Timothy [RFA Rights]
  3. Nylander, William
  4. Woll, Joseph
  5. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$82,500,000$65,121,890$0$0$17,378,110
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 24, 2022 at 6:26 p.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Take Woll, Nylander and one of those other pieces if you want to be realistic
Quillanrocks and DirtyDangle liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 6:36 p.m.
Owly
The problem with goalies is you just don't know for sure. Halleybuck certainly hasn't been top 3 the past 2 seasons. Really he had 1 season of being one of the best and the rest has been inconsistent. It's almost impossible to guess who will be the top 3 goalies from year to year. Vasi and Shesterkin are the top 2. Nashville's goalie was crazy good this year as well. But who will replicate it? Lost of goalies fade quick it seems. It's why they just don't get the return of forwards or defenceman
May 24, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
Take Woll, Nylander and one of those other pieces if you want to be realistic

And that's a bad deal for TO. Halleybuck hasn't been top end the past 2 years.
May 24, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
I think Helly is probably in the 7-10 range of goalies right now, he has not been great the past 2 years since winning the vezina, aside from last years playoffs, so this package is definitely extreme, maybe Willy Woll Knies and a 2nd
May 24, 2022 at 6:44 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Edited May 24, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
I don't think Hellebuyck's a top 3 goalie, would be great to get this return for him but no team would do this, also how do the Leafs replace Nylander, its easy to say they just need a goalie but when you remove one of their top forwards they no longer look so deep up front.
Jetsdood27 liked this.
May 24, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.
Biggest fan of Hellebuyck right here, but Toronto would be nuts to do that deal! Just 3 of those assets should be enough. Woll has little value, and while I like Liljegren, his slow development reduces his appeal in a return for Jets MVP. Also, I get that Nylander would have to come back the other way to make the $$$ work for the Leafs, but if I'm Chevy, it would have to be Knies. ZERO interest in Nylander with the roster as such. So not happening! LOL
May 24, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
Benzino204
This would be a rebuilding trade, and based on that, I don't see the point in adding a Nylander, who could leave in two seasons for free. For that reason I think he's bit of an overkill. Take him out an I accept the deal.
May 24, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
If the Jets hire a lower profile guy as head coach like Arniel, Carbery, Lalonde or Vincent then I think Hellebuyck will be gone within a year, as the rebuild will be on.
May 24, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
I do like this idea and unlike others I can say he’s been a top 3 goalie imo. His last 2 seasons has dropped but so has the Jets. He also has 2 of the worst defensive forwards in hockey with Scheiffle and Wheeler. With that said, that package is still insane. You can 1 of Knies, Willy or Lily (I’m still not sold on trading Willy though still). I do love Woll but to say Leaf’s don’t have any other goalie prospects is hilarious. The 1st is whatever GTFO. My offer would be:
Helly for 1st, Robertson, Lily and Woll
May 25, 2022 at 2:28 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I don't think Hellebuyck's a top 3 goalie, would be great to get this return for him but no team would do this, also how do the Leafs replace Nylander, its easy to say they just need a goalie but when you remove one of their top forwards they no longer look so deep up front.

I believe he is. He has just been playing for a team with ****ty/close to none defense.

Screenshot-20220519-094549-com-twitter-android.jpg
njlaforte liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: betahuman
I believe he is. He has just been playing for a team with ****ty/close to none defense.

Screenshot-20220519-094549-com-twitter-android.jpg

If he was a top 3 goalie shouldn't he of been able to win just one game on his own this season?

Bad defense or not he let in sooo many weak goals this season that were stoppable shots and his attempts to stop many others were just poor.

I'd say Demko, Shesterkin and Vasilevskiy are for sure better than Helle, some others on that list are about equal or close to Helle.
May 25, 2022 at 11:03 a.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
The problem with goalies is you just don't know for sure. Halleybuck certainly hasn't been top 3 the past 2 seasons. Really he had 1 season of being one of the best and the rest has been inconsistent. It's almost impossible to guess who will be the top 3 goalies from year to year. Vasi and Shesterkin are the top 2. Nashville's goalie was crazy good this year as well. But who will replicate it? Lost of goalies fade quick it seems. It's why they just don't get the return of forwards or defenceman

These are the defensemen (Ranked in games played) that played for the 19-20 season which he won the Vezina, and the 20-21 season in which he got snubbed as he had the highest GSAx and xGA.

19-20: Pionk, Morrissey, DeMelo, Poolman, Bitetto, Kulikov, Sbisa, Beaulieu, Niku, Dalhstrom, Heinola

20-21: Morrissey, Forbort, Pionk, DeMelo, Poolman, Benn, Stanley, Beaulieu, Niku, Heinola

So he not only played in front of Charlie Huddy's 80's Oilers system but also in front of top pairing defensemen Tucker Poolman and Nathan Beaulieu.

I always say, if you put Hellebuyck on Tampa Bay that he would put up a better SV% then Vasy.
betahuman liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
And that's a bad deal for TO. Halleybuck hasn't been top end the past 2 years.

I agree that this year he wasn't the best, but he also faced the most xGA, but in 20-21 he was still a top goalie in the league. and definitely deserved to be a Vezina finalist instead of Grubauer.

These are the defensemen (Ranked in games played) that played for the 19-20 season in which he won the Vezina, and the 20-21 season in which he got snubbed as he had the highest GSAx and xGA.

19-20: Pionk, Morrissey, DeMelo, Poolman, Bitetto, Kulikov, Sbisa, Beaulieu, Niku, Dalhstrom, Heinola

20-21: Morrissey, Forbort, Pionk, DeMelo, Poolman, Benn, Stanley, Beaulieu, Niku, Heinola

So he not only played in front of Charlie Huddy's 80's Oilers system but also in front of top pairing defensemen Tucker Poolman and Nathan Beaulieu.

I always say, if you put Hellebuyck on Tampa Bay that he would put up a better SV% then Vasy.
May 25, 2022 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: Tajleafs81
I think Helly is probably in the 7-10 range of goalies right now, he has not been great the past 2 years since winning the vezina, aside from last years playoffs, so this package is definitely extreme, maybe Willy Woll Knies and a 2nd

I agree that this year he wasn't the best, but he also faced the most xGA, but in 20-21 he was still a top goalie in the league. and definitely deserved to be a Vezina finalist instead of Grubauer.

These are the defensemen (Ranked in games played) that played for the 19-20 season in which he won the Vezina, and the 20-21 season in which he got snubbed as he had the highest GSAx and xGA.

May 25, 2022 at 11:11 a.m.
Quoting: Benzino204
This would be a rebuilding trade, and based on that, I don't see the point in adding a Nylander, who could leave in two seasons for free. For that reason I think he's bit of an overkill. Take him out an I accept the deal.

I agree that it would be a rebuilding trade and that Nylander doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team, but the Jets would need more value then Lilj, Knies, Woll and a 1st, and they could flip Nylander at the deadline
May 25, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Quoting: DJSums17
I do like this idea and unlike others I can say he’s been a top 3 goalie imo. His last 2 seasons has dropped but so has the Jets. He also has 2 of the worst defensive forwards in hockey with Scheiffle and Wheeler. With that said, that package is still insane. You can 1 of Knies, Willy or Lily (I’m still not sold on trading Willy though still). I do love Woll but to say Leaf’s don’t have any other goalie prospects is hilarious. The 1st is whatever GTFO. My offer would be:
Helly for 1st, Robertson, Lily and Woll

Who is your other goalie prospects and do they have high potential? The Jets would want someone who could become a solid starter.
May 25, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Quoting: njlaforte

Outside of last year i didn’t watch a lot of jets games, so I can’t argue against you too much, but I will say Vasi could be the most talented goalie since Hasek, so that argument is all semantics, but as far as the defence goes, that’s completely valid, but the problem is it still lowers his value in the trade. Going off this year, Vasi, Shesty, Saros, Markstrom, Freddy and Sorokin were the top 6, in any order, so Helly is at most 7th. IMO after thinking it over yesterday, I think both your mock and my counter were flawed, Nylander doesn’t make any sense to be included since he’s a FA in 2 years and already 25, what would you say to something like Knies, Robertson, Niemela, either Woll or Dryden Mckay, a 1st and a 2nd?
May 26, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
Quoting: Tajleafs81
Outside of last year i didn’t watch a lot of jets games, so I can’t argue against you too much, but I will say Vasi could be the most talented goalie since Hasek, so that argument is all semantics, but as far as the defence goes, that’s completely valid, but the problem is it still lowers his value in the trade. Going off this year, Vasi, Shesty, Saros, Markstrom, Freddy and Sorokin were the top 6, in any order, so Helly is at most 7th. IMO after thinking it over yesterday, I think both your mock and my counter were flawed, Nylander doesn’t make any sense to be included since he’s a FA in 2 years and already 25, what would you say to something like Knies, Robertson, Niemela, either Woll or Dryden Mckay, a 1st and a 2nd?

I would accept Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Woll, 1st and 2nd. But is there any way to get Liljegren in the trade? The Jets really need a RHD that can play in the NHL next year and have a high potential, and I don't think Niemela is ready.
May 26, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
I would accept Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Woll, 1st and 2nd. But is there any way to get Liljegren in the trade? The Jets really need a RHD that can play in the NHL next year and have a high potential, and I don't think Niemela is ready.

I think at this point Lily would be untouchable, but Sandin might be moveable
May 29, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
Who is your other goalie prospects and do they have high potential? The Jets would want someone who could become a solid starter.

Leafs have a bunch of goalie prospects and goalies are voodoo. A guy drafted in the 6th round can be better then a guy drafted in a high round. You never know with goalies. That’s why the Price and Bob contracts were looked on as being stupid moves cause there’s too many variables to pay a goalie 10 mill over a span of 4+ years. BUT with that said, Woll is definitely a good prospect but I don’t even have him as a top 3. I got Kallgren, Akhtiamov, and Peksa. Not sure in that order. I really like Akhtiamov though. He’s probably my #1.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll