SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/The Box

All Topics Discussion Thread PT2

Sep. 8, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Man, looking like the queen isn't doing too well. Insane to think of a time when she's not here.

Welcome to a new era

RIP the Queen
Sep. 8, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: OldNYIfan
And the gun nuts down here will say See? It's not GUNS that are dangerous. So why do we need gun control laws?

guns don't kill people, people kill people. stricter guns laws just make it harder for average joes to get legal guns to protect them from criminals who got illegal guns (which are insanely easy to get and are the real problem)
Saskleaf and DirtyDangle liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: mondo
queen died

So she wasn't immortal after all...
A_Habs_fan, oilersguy, TheFastAndTheFleuryous and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Bobcat205
So she wasn't immortal after all...

turns out it's just easier to live longer when you're living off other people's money.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: oilersguy
guns don't kill people, people kill people. stricter guns laws just make it harder for average joes to get legal guns to protect them from criminals who got illegal guns (which are insanely easy to get and are the real problem)

if getting an illegal gun is "insanely easy" to get why not just get an illegal gun
A_Habs_fan and Devil liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
I make typos
if getting an illegal gun is "insanely easy" to get why not just get an illegal gun

because I am not a criminal, I literally had a guy at work tell me he can get me any gun I want I just had to give him 2 weeks and a amount of money that varies with each gun.
DirtyDangle and Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
torontos finest
because I am not a criminal, I literally had a guy at work tell me he can get me any gun I want I just had to give him 2 weeks and a amount of money that varies with each gun.

If you intentions for having a firearm are for defense, the legality of your weapon shouldn't be a concern, right?

Criminals are always going to find ways to circumvent laws, regardless of how strict they are. Loosing gun control isn't going to make the illegal guns magically stop coming into the country. Weapons intended for murder should have their ownership requirements enforced.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 5:38 p.m.
retired
If you intentions for having a firearm are for defense, the legality of your weapon shouldn't be a concern, right?

Criminals are always going to find ways to circumvent laws, regardless of how strict they are. Loosing gun control isn't going to make the illegal guns magically stop coming into the country. Weapons intended for murder should have their ownership requirements enforced.

i want a gun without the risk of serving jail time.

the canadian government is passing laws making it more difficult for legal owners to use and posess their firearms while doing little to nothing against the illegal firearm trade at the border.
MitchMarner_16 and Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 6:26 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
holy crap I just found the Queen died, this is massive massive news. also for the first time in 70 years a different face will be on the Canadian $20 bill

Saving all those bills for 20+ years
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i want a gun without the risk of serving jail time.

the canadian government is passing laws making it more difficult for legal owners to use and posess their firearms while doing little to nothing against the illegal firearm trade at the border.

government should be absolutely cracking down on firearms crossing the border but it's very difficult when the country to the south of you has a fetish for them

you shouldn't need to own a gun
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
retired
government should be absolutely cracking down on firearms crossing the border but it's very difficult when the country to the south of you has a fetish for them

you shouldn't need to own a gun

some people do for work. some people need it to fill the freezer for winter. i personally don't need one but i like having one.
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
retired
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

they'll be worth more if you spend/invent them now. unless you just like looking at the queen for personal pleasure.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 7:44 p.m.
torontos finest
some people do for work. some people need it to fill the freezer for winter. i personally don't need one but i like having one.

no one is hunting with pistols and assault rifles
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.

This is where I agree with both of you. I enjoy the outdoors, I don’t have the land to hunt, but I’d love to start. I also think some guns are reall cool looking, the same way people collect knives. Would I buy one? Possibly, if it were a replica or a relic. But I don’t have a use for one so I won’t.

However, theres absolutely no need for pistols and assault rifles. Those are designed to kill people. Long arms, shotguns, etc are designed for hunting. No one’s ripping into a deer with a .22 or 30 rounds. Those guns can be banned. But don’t punish legal, responsible gun owners.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
retired

if by assault rifles you mean automatic then no. no one is looking for that right either. the rcmp gun bans in canada dont make any sense. rifles that have the same capability will see some banned with others are ok the own. no explanation given either. it's like banning red wine but white wine is ok.

legal gun owners just want to go to the range and shoot.
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 8:54 p.m.
Go leafs go
Ok, so here’s my take on guns.

I don’t know how much any of you guys have guns or anything, but I’m going to assume not many of you. My family (I am not old enough for my PAL) owns guns and I hunt, or at least try to hunt (lol). And for our family, it is a necessity for us to have guns since we are farmers. Sometimes a fox will get into our chickens and we need to try and get it with the 22, etc. Therefore I am very much against the idea of banning guns. Some people don’t seem to realize many people in rural areas need them.

Besides, if you look up the actual statistics of gun violence it is very low compared to things like driving under the influence. Funny, you never hear anyone advocate for alcohol being banned even though drunk driving kills far more people than guns.

The point is guns are necessary for some people, and for others if they follow basic gun safety it can be used for recreation.

As for my opinion on restricted firearms being banned, I don’t have a strong one one way or the other. I don’t believe they pose a significant safety threat but I also don’t think there is any reason to own one. I’m fine with them banned as long as non-restricted firearms always remain legal to own.
DirtyDangle liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 8:59 p.m.
Go leafs go

Because most gun owners are not criminals. No one is going to want to hunt if they are going to get arrested or fined if they do it, or own a gun for self defence if it will land them in legal trouble. It’s really a very easy thing to wrap your mind around, so I’m not sure if you were kidding when you said this or are just stupid.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
retired
This is where I agree with both of you. I enjoy the outdoors, I don’t have the land to hunt, but I’d love to start. I also think some guns are reall cool looking, the same way people collect knives. Would I buy one? Possibly, if it were a replica or a relic. But I don’t have a use for one so I won’t.

However, theres absolutely no need for pistols and assault rifles. Those are designed to kill people. Long arms, shotguns, etc are designed for hunting. No one’s ripping into a deer with a .22 or 30 rounds. Those guns can be banned. But don’t punish legal, responsible gun owners.

pistols are used for work. whether its for a remote wilderness workers or cash transporters in the city. both have need a for personal protection. also if handguns have been legal for some time and there is no indication that legal handguns are being used in crime then why target them. canada has a vibrant target shooing community that's being targeted without cause imo.

no one is hunting deer with a .22 that would be cruel. people do hunt small game with .22 and that does fill their freezer for winter. there is no reason for .22 to be banned its the least powerful caliber of firearm. as for 30 rounds most provinces have mag capacity limits for centerfire firearms which usually caps the limit at 10 and in come cases 5. it's a silly law but despite that gun owners aren't even pushing back heavily on that law.

canada's gun laws have done almost nothing to combat illegal gun crime. it's usually politically based on laws that sound good to people who aren't knowledgeable in firearms and almost always have a large effect on legal owners. as a legal gun owner you can wake up tomorrow and find out a rifle you own is now prohibited with no reason or justification why. i can't even compare firearm laws to any other aspect in canadian law as no other part of canadian law has such absurd laws.
Saskleaf and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Saskleaf
Because most gun owners are not criminals. No one is going to want to hunt if they are going to get arrested or fined if they do it, or own a gun for self defence if it will land them in legal trouble. It’s really a very easy thing to wrap your mind around, so I’m not sure if you were kidding when you said this or are just stupid.

i'm being facetious
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 9:21 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

Yeah same, you could make hella profits.
Sep. 8, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Go leafs go
i'm being facetious

Ok I’m glad you weren’t 100% serious by saying that, just making sure.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 8:52 a.m.
cautious optimism
so... football was fun last night i guess

I haven't seen Josh Allen ball out like that for a while now. First stiff-arming a Rams defender into another dimension, and then literally dunking on Bobby Wagner for a TD one drive later.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 8:57 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
so... football was fun last night i guess

I haven't seen Josh Allen ball out like that for a while now. First stiff-arming a Rams defender into another dimension, and then literally dunking on Bobby Wagner for a TD one drive later.

Considering I was extremly pessimistic about the Bills chances of winning without the one and only Tre White Goalie Academy, that was a pretty decent game. The Bills defense looked just as good as advertised, and the Rams showed they need OBJ/need Stafford to have the tendonitis in his elbow get somewhat better quickly. Overall, fun game to watch, at least for Bills fans like myself.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 7:47 p.m.
pistols are used for work. whether its for a remote wilderness workers or cash transporters in the city. both have need a for personal protection. also if handguns have been legal for some time and there is no indication that legal handguns are being used in crime then why target them. canada has a vibrant target shooing community that's being targeted without cause imo.

no one is hunting deer with a .22 that would be cruel. people do hunt small game with .22 and that does fill their freezer for winter. there is no reason for .22 to be banned its the least powerful caliber of firearm. as for 30 rounds most provinces have mag capacity limits for centerfire firearms which usually caps the limit at 10 and in come cases 5. it's a silly law but despite that gun owners aren't even pushing back heavily on that law.

canada's gun laws have done almost nothing to combat illegal gun crime. it's usually politically based on laws that sound good to people who aren't knowledgeable in firearms and almost always have a large effect on legal owners. as a legal gun owner you can wake up tomorrow and find out a rifle you own is now prohibited with no reason or justification why. i can't even compare firearm laws to any other aspect in canadian law as no other part of canadian law has such absurd laws.

I'm gonna be clear, I'm NOT for more gun laws. Gun lawn punish legal owners. Illegal weapons are already illegal. making them more illegal doesnt change much. My point was that large capacity and semi auto assault rifles are unneccessary, and the average joe has really no need for a pistol. agree about law enforcement needing them, but the average person really doesnt. I think we agree more than we think lol

as for a .22 i was more or less talking about pistols, I've hunted rabbits with .22s before.
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 9, 2022 at 7:53 p.m.
retired
I'm gonna be clear, I'm NOT for more gun laws. Gun lawn punish legal owners. Illegal weapons are already illegal. making them more illegal doesnt change much. My point was that large capacity and semi auto assault rifles are unneccessary, and the average joe has really no need for a pistol. agree about law enforcement needing them, but the average person really doesnt. I think we agree more than we think lol

as for a .22 i was more or less talking about pistols, I've hunted rabbits with .22s before.

large capacity magazines have been illegal for some time.

i'll disagree about semi-auto rifles. i'm for full auto's being illegal.

no one needs a pistol other than for their profession but there is no evidence that legal handgun owners are a problem so i don't support any changes. i am biased on this since i do own handguns.

canadian laws are frustrating because they are made by people who don't understand firearms. usually just for political posturing.

i used to be anti-gun when i was younger but have since changed sides so i do understand where that point of view is coming from.
Saskleaf and MitchMarner_16 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll