Forums/Armchair-GM

IF Larkin wants out

Created by: rednwhite
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 31, 2022
Published: May 31, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Larkin does want out of Detroit what could Yzerman get for him assuming he signs a contract with the team he is dealt to (like Lindholm and Boston this year). I highly doubt he is moved and likely resigns a deal in early July but it is fun to speculate. Asking price is likely a young center with top 6 potential, a roster player and a 1st. I've selected a few guys I think could be targets.
Trades
DET
  1. Thomas, Akil
  2. Turcotte, Alex
  3. 2022 1st round pick (LAK)
DET
  1. Norris, Joshua [RFA Rights]
OTT
    Larkin
    DET
    1. Mercer, Dawson
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (NJD)
    NJD
      Larkin
      DET
      1. Chytil, Filip
      2. Kakko, Kaapo [RFA Rights]
      3. 2023 1st round pick (NYR)
      NYR
        Larkin
        DET
        1. Bear, Ethan [RFA Rights]
        2. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
        3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
        CAR
          Larkin
          Buyouts
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the LAK
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the NJD
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the COL
          Logo of the VGK
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the LAK
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the NYR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the STL
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DAL
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          14$82,500,000$35,628,889$0$3,350,000$46,871,111
          Left WingCentreRight Wing
          Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
          $2,625,000$2,625,000
          LW
          UFA - 2
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
          RW, LW
          RFA - 2
          $2,375,000$2,375,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $3,250,000$3,250,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $2,100,000$2,100,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $2,750,000$2,750,000
          RW, C
          UFA - 1
          $750,000$750,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $1,460,000$1,460,000
          LW, C
          UFA - 2
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $1,350,000$1,350,000
          LD/RD
          UFA - 1
          $4,400,000$4,400,000
          RD
          RFA - 2
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RD
          RFA - 2
          $850,000$850,000
          RD
          RFA - 1
          $750,000$750,000
          RD
          UFA - 1
          ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
          $4,000,000$4,000,000
          LW
          UFA - 3
          Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$1,550,000$2M)
          C
          RFA - 2
          Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
          $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
          C
          RFA - 1
          Logo of the New York Rangers
          $2,300,000$2,300,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          Logo of the Florida Panthers
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          C, LW
          RFA - 2
          Logo of the New Jersey Devils
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
          RW, C
          RFA - 2
          Logo of the Florida Panthers
          $5,300,000$5,300,000
          RW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          May 31, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
          Mods have power egos
          You're over valuing Larkin in most of these trades
          Tintin, Archiv3 and PLDGEY liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
          Larkin will test the free agency, the best you are going to get is a rental return. LA, NJ, and OTT will not be looking for a rental.
          Tintin, OldNYIfan and Devil liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
          Quoting: NYRxLundqvist

And you are underating Larkin. Yzerman ain´t trading a 25y old 1st line center for less than these mock trades are suggesting. Larkin is the teams Captain and the only good center they have.
          rednwhite liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
          Pop Pop
          If he doesn't sign this off-season and Larkin does get moved you'll finally get people questioning what yzerman is doing. If Larkin goes its gonna be bad on and off the ice.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.

larkin’s a really really good player. assuming he’ll sign an extension i don’t see how any of these are a significant overvaluation.
          rednwhite and LeonardoNoCardio liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
          Pass from the Rangers.
          May 31, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.
          Quoting: tryger
          Larkin will test the free agency, the best you are going to get is a rental return. LA, NJ, and OTT will not be looking for a rental.

Read the description before blindly posting. It says what would the return be if he was traded and had a deal in place with the new team.
          LeonardoNoCardio liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
          Mods have power egos
          Quoting: Mathias_02
          And you are underating Larkin. Yzerman ain´t trading a 25y old 1st line center for less than these mock trades are suggesting. Larkin is the teams Captain and the only good center they have.

Larkin isn't a 1c on a contender. Who cares if he's the captain and the only good center for the wings that doesn't up his value for other teams.

Quoting: bagelbob
          larkin’s a really really good player. assuming he’ll sign an extension i don’t see how any of these are a significant overvaluation.

You can't have the whole if he signs an extension the team gets more assets thing anymore
          May 31, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
          Quoting: rednwhite
          Read the description before blindly posting. It says what would the return be if he was traded and had a deal in place with the new team.

I did read that, which is why I said he will test free agency. You can't fault someone's comprehension when you can't even read a response lol.
          May 31, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
          Banned

It's with an extension in place, Larkin signed for 9 years in total would return far more than most of these trades.
          RedWing9119 liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
          Banned
          Quoting: delneggs
          Pass from the Rangers.

More like Detroit passes, Chytil meh Kakko hasn't proven his draft position plus a late 1st isn't even close for a extended Larkin.
          RedWing9119 liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
          Quoting: TampaBayLightning22
          It's with an extension in place, Larkin signed for 9 years in total would return far more than most of these trades.

But why would he unless a team was willing to overpay for him. And if a team was, why would they be eager to lose assets on a year where both Forsberg and Gaudreau could be had at similar 9+M caphits without losing assets? Isn't it in his best interest to wait for the free agency and maximize his options?
          May 31, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
          Banned
          But why would he unless a team was willing to overpay for him. And if a team was, why would they be eager to lose assets on a year where both Forsberg and Gaudreau could be had at similar 9+M caphits without losing assets? Isn't it in his best interest to wait for the free agency and maximize his options?

Are you serious? First off Forsberg and Gaudreau are wingers. And Larkin at worse is a 2C on a cup team. Larkin signs for $9,500,000 x 8 years which is what Filip Forsberg will get. You're not touching Johnny Gaudreai for anything less than $11,000,000 x 7 years far more than what Larkin or Forsberg will cost.

Reportedly Dylan Larkin wants close to $9,500,000 x 8 years, Yzerman can still give him that money but trade him for the best possible package like what Jarmo did with Seth Jones. There's no way Yzerman is dealing Larkin as a one year rental he already said as such. If he deals him it will be a sign and trade and he will get full maximum value for him same with Tyler Bertuzzi.
          May 31, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
          Are you serious? First off Forsberg and Gaudreau are wingers. And Larkin at worse is a 2C on a cup team. Larkin signs for $9,500,000 x 8 years which is what Filip Forsberg will get. You're not touching Johnny Gaudreai for anything less than $11,000,000 x 7 years far more than what Larkin or Forsberg will cost.

Reportedly Dylan Larkin wants close to $9,500,000 x 8 years, Yzerman can still give him that money but trade him for the best possible package like what Jarmo did with Seth Jones. There's no way Yzerman is dealing Larkin as a one year rental he already said as such. If he deals him it will be a sign and trade and he will get full maximum value for him same with Tyler Bertuzzi.

But if you signed at 9.5M and were traded, the team you were traded to and their tax hits would impact what his actual take home is. He has zero reason to sign with Detroit to be traded, he can maximize his value in the free agency. Possibly this could happen at the trade deadline but I don't get why Larkin would accept a sign and trade without deciding the team he wants to go to, and the moment he selects the return for Detroit sinks. I still have no idea why Seth Jones was so much when he limited where he wanted to go to.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
          Banned
          But if you signed at 9.5M and were traded, the team you were traded to and their tax hits would impact what his actual take home is. He has zero reason to sign with Detroit to be traded, he can maximize his value in the free agency. Possibly this could happen at the trade deadline but I don't get why Larkin would accept a sign and trade without deciding the team he wants to go to, and the moment he selects the return for Detroit sinks. I still have no idea why Seth Jones was so much when he limited where he wanted to go to.

Well yes i'm basing this on that Larkin has a say in where he goes, Just like Seth Jones. Assuming he only wants to go to Columbus to play with his buddy Zach Werenski. Yzerman and jarmo work out a deal say for the $9,500,000 x 8 years And Detroit basically gets Kent johnson plus Chicago's 6th overall pick Columbus 2023 1st round pick and Columbus 2022/2023 2nd round pick which is more than fair pretty much the Seth Jones deal.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
          Well yes i'm basing this on that Larkin has a say in where he goes, Just like Seth Jones. Assuming he only wants to go to Columbus to play with his buddy Zach Werenski. Yzerman and jarmo work out a deal say for the $9,500,000 x 8 years And Detroit basically gets Kent johnson plus Chicago's 6th overall pick Columbus 2023 1st round pick and Columbus 2022/2023 2nd round pick which is more than fair pretty much the Seth Jones deal.

The Seth Jones deal was for an RFA though, this is pretty rare for a pending UFA to extend a year prior. I don't see why I'd do this from Columbus when I could potentially get him for free a year later.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.
          Banned
          The Seth Jones deal was for an RFA though, this is pretty rare for a pending UFA to extend a year prior. I don't see why I'd do this from Columbus when I could potentially get him for free a year later.

When do players of Larkins caliber ever hit the open market? If Columbus thinks they're going to get Larkin for free that's not happening. And i got news for you. If the rumors are true that he wants $9,500,000 x 8 years to remain in Detroit most of the GMs in the league aren't going to offer that to him. He's essentially a career 58 point per season over an 82 game schedule 2C his comparable is probably around $7,500,000 x 8 years to $8,000,000 x 8 years that's it. If Yzerman can't get a deal done then he'll trade him as a one year rental. A young 2C similar to him B prosect and a 1st round pick same can be said with Tyler Bertuzzi who's not getting anything if he doesn't get vaxxed.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
          Norris > Larkin
          athrin liked this.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
          When do players of Larkins caliber ever hit the open market? If Columbus thinks they're going to get Larkin for free that's not happening. And i got news for you. If the rumors are true that he wants $9,500,000 x 8 years to remain in Detroit most of the GMs in the league aren't going to offer that to him. He's essentially a career 58 point per season over an 82 game schedule 2C his comparable is probably around $7,500,000 x 8 years to $8,000,000 x 8 years that's it. If Yzerman can't get a deal done then he'll trade him as a one year rental. A young 2C similar to him B prosect and a 1st round pick same can be said with Tyler Bertuzzi who's not getting anything if he doesn't get vaxxed.

That's what I'm saying high quality players are available in this season's (and Kane and MacKinnon next season) free agency which makes a move like this unlikely in my opinion. It could happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet he gets moved as a rental.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
          More like Detroit passes, Chytil meh Kakko hasn't proven his draft position plus a late 1st isn't even close for a extended Larkin.

The trade was proposed by a Wings fan, so it's not a question if Detroit passes. The Rangers pass because Larkin would be a 1 year rental and that's not worth Kakko alone, let alone adding Chytil and a 1st round pick. And, NO, the Rangers cannot afford to sign him to a new contract after next season. RANGERS PASS.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
          As much as I’d love Larkin on the Rangers don’t think it makes much sense. I think Rangers best offer would probably be something like one of Chytil/Kakko + Nils + 2023 1st and maybe we throw in someone like Kravtsov if Detroit has any interest in him. And even if Detroit accepted that offer it’d pretty tough for NYR to fit a Larkin extension in to their cap equation(unless you add Trouba into a Larkin trade and he waives his NMC)
          May 31, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
          Banned
          That's what I'm saying high quality players are available in this season's (and Kane and MacKinnon next season) free agency which makes a move like this unlikely in my opinion. It could happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet he gets moved as a rental.

He's a hometown kid and our Captain, I can't see Yzerman low balling him. I think Yzerman gives him what he wants and Yzerman will move out Bertuzzi for whatever he can get for him. Doubt Yzerman would've made him Captain if there was any risk of losing him. When all is said and done he'll probably get the Stamkos deal $8,500,000 x 8 years.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
          He's a hometown kid and our Captain, I can't see Yzerman low balling him. I think Yzerman gives him what he wants and Yzerman will move out Bertuzzi for whatever he can get for him. Doubt Yzerman would've made him Captain if there was any risk of losing him. When all is said and done he'll probably get the Stamkos deal $8,500,000 x 8 years.

Oh that would be ideal, I'm just saying if he was moved, it will most likely be as a rental.
          May 31, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.

seth jones was a UFA
          May 31, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.
          Quoting: PLDGEY
          Norris > Larkin

Not on the best day of his life. This comment is laughable...

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll