SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

2017 Boston Bruins Offseason Discussion Thread

May 8, 2017 at 4:16 p.m.
I posed this question in another forum, but thought I'd throw it up here too.

Does Spooner + '17 1st + '18 1st get you the #6 overall from Vegas? If so, would you do it?
May 8, 2017 at 6:56 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: ON3M4N

Does Spooner + '17 1st + '18 1st get you the #6 overall from Vegas? If so, would you do it?

Seems like a lot to give up for a player in this year's draft that is probably going earlier than they would in a regular draft year, no?
May 9, 2017 at 6:53 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel

Seems like a lot to give up for a player in this year's draft that is probably going earlier than they would in a regular draft year, no?

Yes and no. With the way Boston is trending we could make a better playoff run next year. So it's basically a late 1st + 2nd (Value of Spooner) to move back 11-12 spots in this years draft. The only reason I' d do it is for a kid like Michael Rasmussen, who is a massive centerman with a ton of upside.
May 9, 2017 at 9:54 a.m.
BreKel

Yes and no. With the way Boston is trending we could make a better playoff run next year. So it's basically a late 1st + 2nd (Value of Spooner) to move back 11-12 spots in this years draft. The only reason I' d do it is for a kid like Michael Rasmussen, who is a massive centerman with a ton of upside.

He would instantly become Boston's top center prospect, and you could argue their top forward prospect.... Vegas, who is going to want the fast track to build up their prospect pool drops 12 spots in a weaker draft, and gains an extra 1st next season. I don't think it's a bad move for either team, but personally I get leery trading future 1st rounders. You never know what can happen....A bad injury to Tuukka and you just pissed away a top 10 pick before you had a chance. I feel like dealing 1st round picks is better suited at the deadline when you have a rough idea of where you're at.

I wouldn't hate this deal, but I'd be nervous haha
TheTown liked this.
May 9, 2017 at 11:33 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

You said this was about the Bruins offseason, and this is what i think they should do ... sorry about the fact that we disagree.

It's the fact you say it on a lot of your responses. You get told that the Bruins are actually in good shape defensively. But continue to do it. The fact is, #1 and #2 defenseman aren't usually acquired via trade/signed. They're developed. It'd be great if they could go out and get a #1 or a #2 defenseman, but they'll have to give up pieces they shouldn't be giving up for one (Pastrnak, McAvoy). So if they can acquire one without giving either up, great, but it won't happen.

Well the Bruins have some good D prospects, but will take a while to become 1/2 d-men, like McAvoy and Zboril. Chara i think is middle-pairing at best. Sure, i get told the Bruins defence isn't that bad, but when i get told that, it's by someone who just disagrees with me. I also get told that the Bruins need to fix their defence. And i think they keep Pastrnak, and likely McAvoy too, but i think maybe put together a package of Zboril, DeBrusk, Acciari, and a 1st round pick, that might get you that number defenseman. And then the number 2 guy could be acquired with something like Forsbacka-karlsson, Senyshyn, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Or maybe they do Krejci and a few picks. Either way, they still keep McAvoy and Pastrnak.
May 9, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.
BreKel
Edited May 9, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.
Delete. The quoting system sucks on this site.
ON3M4N liked this.
May 9, 2017 at 11:51 a.m.
BreKel
Edited May 10, 2017 at 1:23 p.m. by Banks
Well the Bruins have some good D prospects, but will take a while to become 1/2 d-men, like McAvoy and Zboril. Chara i think is middle-pairing at best.

Most top pairing defenseman are drafted and developed; what the Bruins are doing. Very rarely are they acquired via trade/free agency. Chara has one more year left and then will either retire or re-up for another year. He is a middle pairing defenseman, you're right....But he's still playing at a high level, which allows Boston to continue to develop.

Quote:
Sure, i get told the Bruins defence isn't that bad, but when i get told that, it's by someone who just disagrees with me.

No ****. I don't value your Bruins opinions very much. I've seen how you value certain players so that tells me you don't really have a lot of knowledge on the Bruins

Quote:
I also get told that the Bruins need to fix their defence.

Bruins could use an upgrade at defense, but I don't think it's worth giving up huge packages to get....Especially when there will be some pretty good UFA's coming up (potentially). I'm all for upgrading the defense, but not in the fashion you seem to go every time. Bruins won't be acquiring Hedman, Karlsson, Ekholm, etc. etc. like you keep having them. It's just ignorant on your part to comment on a team you know very little to nothing about.

Quote:
And i think they keep Pastrnak, and likely McAvoy too, but i think maybe put together a package of Zboril, DeBrusk, Acciari, and a 1st round pick, that might get you that number defenseman. And then the number 2 guy could be acquired with something like Forsbacka-karlsson, Senyshyn, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Or maybe they do Krejci and a few picks. Either way, they still keep McAvoy and Pastrnak.

So......The Bruins have one of the deepest pools in the league, and one of the deepest pools they've had in a long time, and you want to absolute annihilate it? These are exactly the comments that make me take very little away from your posts on the Bruins.

Stop suggesting this crap. My god, go worry about the Isles and Rangers. You don't want to listen to fans who tell you what's really going on.
TheTown liked this.
May 9, 2017 at 8:37 p.m.
I'm just stopping by to say I wish the Bruins had the cap space and means to acquire Yevgeny Kuznetsov. Not a chance in hell but tell me how wonderful that would be.

P.s. I think management hates or doesn't want to deal with Russians, but that's a lot of teams. Also wish Kokii had a chance to play under a different coach. I knew he wasn't gonna last with Julien
May 10, 2017 at 1:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Edited May 10, 2017 at 1:23 p.m. by Banks

Most top pairing defenseman are drafted and developed; what the Bruins are doing. Very rarely are they acquired via trade/free agency. Chara has one more year left and then will either retire or re-up for another year. He is a middle pairing defenseman, you're right....But he's still playing at a high level, which allows Boston to continue to develop.

No ****. I don't value your Bruins opinions very much. I've seen how you value certain players so that tells me you don't really have a lot of knowledge on the Bruins

Bruins could use an upgrade at defense, but I don't think it's worth giving up huge packages to get....Especially when there will be some pretty good UFA's coming up (potentially). I'm all for upgrading the defense, but not in the fashion you seem to go every time. Bruins won't be acquiring Hedman, Karlsson, Ekholm, etc. etc. like you keep having them. It's just ignorant on your part to comment on a team you know very little to nothing about.

So......The Bruins have one of the deepest pools in the league, and one of the deepest pools they've had in a long time, and you want to absolute annihilate it? These are exactly the comments that make me take very little away from your posts on the Bruins.

Stop suggesting this crap. My god, go worry about the Isles and Rangers. You don't want to listen to fans who tell you what's really going on.

Okay, okay, okay, i know, you disagree with me. They don't even need to trade Krejci though, even others are trying to trade Krejci.
And yes, i know about the top pairing defensemen, but not sure if they have any guys that are ready to be NHL top pairing defensemen.
May 10, 2017 at 1:23 p.m.
Follow capfriendly

What is the issue you ran into
May 10, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: Banks

You see how it quotes not only your response to me, but what I had said to begin with? I'm just used to the quote being just whatever I'm quoting. So when I went to comment on each thing, I kept getting messed up. My mistake. I was just frustrated with the responses I was reading.
May 10, 2017 at 2:54 p.m.
BreKel
Okay, okay, okay, i know, you disagree with me. They don't even need to trade Krejci though, even others are trying to trade Krejci.
And yes, i know about the top pairing defensemen, but not sure if they have any guys that are ready to be NHL top pairing defensemen.

Jesus..........Do you think I care what others are trying to do? At the end of the day we sign off the site and go on with our lives. Anyone who tries to move Krejci, without actually factoring in that he probably vetoes 99% of the spots that could afford him, should be taken with less than a grain of salt. Just because Billy Joe Schmo on CapFriendly decides to trade Krejci doesn't mean it's realistic. He's not going anywhere. He loves Boston, he has plans to retire and move back to Czech once this contract is up. He has a family (getting bigger, I believe #2 is on the way) and has no interest in uprooting all that. Maybe things change, but I don't see it. So at this point any Krejci takes should be null and void if they involve trading him.

You draft and develop top defenseman. Bruins have plenty of defensemen to develop....McAvoy, Lauzon, Zboril, and Carlo; drafted and now developed. It may take a few seasons, but McAvoy has #1 defensemen written all over him.
TheTown liked this.
May 10, 2017 at 3:26 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: Banks

You see how it quotes not only your response to me, but what I had said to begin with? I'm just used to the quote being just whatever I'm quoting. So when I went to comment on each thing, I kept getting messed up. My mistake. I was just frustrated with the responses I was reading.

That was by design so it is easier to follow the convo, in most forums it only quotes the single post and it at times requires sifting through pages to figure out what people are talking about
May 10, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.

Jesus..........Do you think I care what others are trying to do? At the end of the day we sign off the site and go on with our lives. Anyone who tries to move Krejci, without actually factoring in that he probably vetoes 99% of the spots that could afford him, should be taken with less than a grain of salt. Just because Billy Joe Schmo on CapFriendly decides to trade Krejci doesn't mean it's realistic. He's not going anywhere. He loves Boston, he has plans to retire and move back to Czech once this contract is up. He has a family (getting bigger, I believe #2 is on the way) and has no interest in uprooting all that. Maybe things change, but I don't see it. So at this point any Krejci takes should be null and void if they involve trading him.

You draft and develop top defenseman. Bruins have plenty of defensemen to develop....McAvoy, Lauzon, Zboril, and Carlo; drafted and now developed. It may take a few seasons, but McAvoy has #1 defensemen written all over him.

Lindgren *cough*
May 10, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
1) I'm not a fan of Rasmussen. I'm generally not a fan of drafting big centers in the first round, especially coming out of Major Junior where the age and strength of the competition is weak.

2) a trade up would be alright but I would rather see how the draft is playing out and trade up to around 10-12 to draft a European like Tolvanen or Elias Petersson who didnt participate in the weak U-18 tournament this year because they were still playing with their club team in their playoffs. There's nobody good enough in my mind to trade up into the top 10 for.

3) Though it would be tough to get a #1 defenseman via trade I would be open to making a package with a LHD prospect and Spooner for a guy like Scandella or Alzner who won't cost as much and can play as a top 4 D and can play PK as a LHD.
May 10, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.
BreKel

Lindgren *cough*

I like lindgren and think he's a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman but right now I don't see top pairing upside with him. I think the 4 I listed all could potentially develop into top pairing guys. But I know about lindgren, don't you worry!

Hopefully that nasty injury he suffered doesn't affect him going forward though
May 10, 2017 at 6:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Yes, i agree McAvoy has the potential to be a 1/2 d-man, but i just don't think he's there YET.
May 10, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.
BreKel

Yes, i agree McAvoy has the potential to be a 1/2 d-man, but i just don't think he's there YET.

He's not....No one has said he is. But he has potential to get there relatively quickly.
May 12, 2017 at 2:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He's not....No one has said he is. But he has potential to get there relatively quickly.

Yeah, but i think they might want to try and make the playoffs next year and it would help to add a guy who's ready to be a 1/2 d-man.
May 15, 2017 at 7:53 a.m.

Yeah, but i think they might want to try and make the playoffs next year and it would help to add a guy who's ready to be a 1/2 d-man.

They just made the playoff this year w/o McAvoy. Unless they have some type of devastating injury or the team forgets how to play, they should make the playoffs. I'm sure they'd like to upgrade the defense on the left side, but its not a like they'll be a lottery team if they don't go out and acquire a 1/2 d-man. If they can get a 3rd pairing LHD that can help eat minutes they'll be fine.
May 16, 2017 at 3:04 a.m.
Number 1 thing they need to do: add a number 1 defenseman.
Number 2 thing they need to do: add a number 2 defenseman.

you should really just stick to the Islanders/Rangers pages
May 16, 2017 at 3:12 a.m.
Quoting: bonanca32
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

HMMMMMMMMMM

(Of course, this is a writer at The Hockey News and not somebody like Bob McKenzie or Elliotte Friedman, but still a possibly credible rumor as opposed to something from, like, RumorBreak or MyNHLInsider or whatever.)

A package including Mike Cammaleri? Package for Sven Baertschi? Or most likely just draft picks for spooner straight up lol

No Cammalleri.....too old and damaged!!! Baertschi ok, but not sold on him....Vegas draft picks are ok too....
May 16, 2017 at 3:20 a.m.
VAN - I'm sure they are higher on Demko, but we have to remembers that goalies don't hold their value nearly as much as skaters do. Benning was here when we drafted Subban and I think he was a huge fan of his. I'd even be willing to throw Subban in the deal and basically flip goalies.

NJ - I've always just like Merrill's game. Defense is the hardest position to learn so I don't want to say that he has another level, but I also don't want to say that he doesn't

I was reading the Vancouver Canucks fan reddit b/c they had a post about Spooner with VAN being interested. They don't even want to give up a 2nd round pick for Spooner and some think it only makes sense for VAN if they trade Sutter back lololol

Either we're overvaluing what Spooner could land from VAN or they're just dumb as rocks.......I'm leaning toward the latter haha

With Sweens likely being a close friend with Benning I'm sure he doesn't want to rape him and make his precarious situation out there worse!! I'd stay away from dealing with Vancouver altogether!!!
May 16, 2017 at 3:30 a.m.
Well the Bruins have some good D prospects, but will take a while to become 1/2 d-men, like McAvoy and Zboril. Chara i think is middle-pairing at best.

Quote:
Sure, i get told the Bruins defence isn't that bad, but when i get told that, it's by someone who just disagrees with me.

Quote:
I also get told that the Bruins need to fix their defence.

Quote:
And i think they keep Pastrnak, and likely McAvoy too, but i think maybe put together a package of Zboril, DeBrusk, Acciari, and a 1st round pick, that might get you that number defenseman. And then the number 2 guy could be acquired with something like Forsbacka-karlsson, Senyshyn, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Or maybe they do Krejci and a few picks. Either way, they still keep McAvoy and Pastrnak.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Love it!!
May 16, 2017 at 3:32 a.m.
Quoting: bonanca32
I'm just stopping by to say I wish the Bruins had the cap space and means to acquire Yevgeny Kuznetsov. Not a chance in hell but tell me how wonderful that would be.

P.s. I think management hates or doesn't want to deal with Russians, but that's a lot of teams. Also wish Kokii had a chance to play under a different coach. I knew he wasn't gonna last with Julien

Maybe he comes back now???? Maybe not this year, but he is still young!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll