Forums/Armchair-GM

Canes JTM trade options

Created by: BeautifulIdiot
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2022
Published: Jun. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Canes fans, hear me out, I know that you dont want to trade morrow and there are some of you who dont want to trade at all, I am trying to see where the majority of you are at. What I have proposed are 2 trades:

Necas
Heimosalmi
1st
(equalizing pick 3rd either way)

this trade is your better forward but your 2nd best defencive RD prospect, Necas might be wanting more than what the canes want to pay and we might see a situation like Ned last year where he thought he was worth more than management thought. This managment group has no fear in trading away young prospects who think that they are worth more than market value.

Drury
Morrow
1st
(equalizing pick 3rd either way)

Good forward but not necas and not tracking to be quite as good, but scott morrow who is tracking to be a good defenceman and who could be a 2RD on a contender but could be a 1RD on a middling team drury looks like he will be a solid mid 6 player.

dont worry about the 3rd round pick, because it probably goes from VAN to CAR or does not exist if there is retention.
how do you feel about these trades?

lets keep capfriendly friendly

thanks guys
Trades
VAN
  1. Heimosalmi, Aleksi
  2. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2023 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,625,000 retained)
VAN
  1. Drury, Jack
  2. Morrow, Scott [Reserve List]
  3. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
    JT Miller
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$82,500,000$66,155,000$1,250,000$1,150,000$16,345,000
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $7,350,000$7,350,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,950,000$4,950,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $7,260,000$7,260,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $828,333$828,333
    RD
    RFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    I get those are the guys you want, but Morrow, Heimosalmi, and Drury are off the table. Drury likely makes his way onto the roster full time next year, and is likely the eventual Staal successor. Heimosalmi is very likely the eventual Pesce replacement. And Morrow is the Canes top prospect who has elite level projections.

Another reason a Miller to Carolina trade won’t work is the cap, and also the inability to do an extension, not that the Canes would even consider extending Miller anyways with how much he is demanding. The only way Miller plays for the Canes is in a rental scenario, and the best offer you will get from the Canes would likely be Necas, Bear, and a 1st. If that doesn’t float your boat, I’m sorry, but a deal can’t be reached then.
    BeautifulIdiot liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:36 p.m.
    Danny Spencer
    I think both Trades are a little much for the canes. I doubt they want to give up roster players ,which Drury will be next season, and their first. I only say they don't want to give up the first because they draft so well and already lost this years for KK. I do think Necas for miller is a possibility obviously with a lot more thrown in from the canes but they did talk about a pure goalscorer while JT did score 30+ I think Boeser is a more pure goal scorer or even Horvat, this is assuming Vancouver wants to ship out a forward and doesn't care who. Canes and Vancouver are definitely going to be on the Phones a lot this summer though and I could see where a deal does get done maybe for JTM or someone else. Necas And morrow might be something the canes wanna do.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:38 p.m.
    Danny Spencer
    Quoting: evelutions2
    I get those are the guys you want, but Morrow, Heimosalmi, and Drury are off the table. Drury likely makes his way onto the roster full time next year, and is likely the eventual Staal successor. Heimosalmi is very likely the eventual Pesce replacement. And Morrow is the Canes top prospect who has elite level projections.

Another reason a Miller to Carolina trade won’t work is the cap, and also the inability to do an extension, not that the Canes would even consider extending Miller anyways with how much he is demanding. The only way Miller plays for the Canes is in a rental scenario, and the best offer you will get from the Canes would likely be Necas, Bear, and a 1st. If that doesn’t float your boat, I’m sorry, but a deal can’t be reached then.

I do think Canes could extend Miller they have more money than people think roughly 24 million but with at least 10-12 million going towards a first pair d, and resigning one of Nino or Trocheck it doesn't leave them a ton of wiggle room, but If miller were someone they viewed as worth it it could happen, also assuming miller lowers his asking price a little.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: evelutions2

I think that could work, Ideally we would be able to get one of the 2 RD prospects, I think the reason why Bear would not be valued as highly is because of the fact that he did get scratched for the playoffs, I think that he is more of a project and I cant remember where it was, but someone speculated if it was worth it for him to be qualified by the canes, not saying that is factual or it is probable but I think he might be a guy who could be had for a mid round pick and the canes can wash their hands and call it a day.
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
    Canes fans won’t give up any of their players for Miller so you won’t get any good answers on here. Doesn’t matter if Canes are actually interested or if the value is fair
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: Canesfan14
    I think both Trades are a little much for the canes. I doubt they want to give up roster players ,which Drury will be next season, and their first. I only say they don't want to give up the first because they draft so well and already lost this years for KK. I do think Necas for miller is a possibility obviously with a lot more thrown in from the canes but they did talk about a pure goalscorer while JT did score 30+ I think Boeser is a more pure goal scorer or even Horvat, this is assuming Vancouver wants to ship out a forward and doesn't care who. Canes and Vancouver are definitely going to be on the Phones a lot this summer though and I could see where a deal does get done maybe for JTM or someone else. Necas And morrow might be something the canes wanna do.

I think the difference between miller, horvat and boeser is window. Miller is a little bit older and is somehow in his prime now at 30 and his game seems to lend itself to longevity but I think that his window will be closer to match up to the likes of carolina or NYR as opposed to the canucks. I think that there is still going to be 2 seasons before the canucks will be able to contend again and that will be as Petterson, Boeser and horvat will all be peaking when miller might be in more of a supportive roll.
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:54 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: NV94
    Canes fans won’t give up any of their players for Miller so you won’t get any good answers on here. Doesn’t matter if Canes are actually interested or if the value is fair

They have been decent and have been open to talking, they dont want to but thats fair
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
    Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
    They have been decent and have been open to talking, they dont want to but thats fair

Yo have you heard of this Scott Morrow guy...? Dude's basically Cale Makar
    BeautifulIdiot and NV94 liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 7:02 p.m.
    Only thing Vancouver would most likely get from Carolina is Ethan Bear for a 3rd. But we never know what would happen.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
    I would do Miller for Necas, a 1st and Keane.

I think it's possible the Canes could include Morrow instead Keane if Vancouver pressed, but don't know if that would be a deal breaker. Might depend on whether Mr. Waddell reads these forums or not, if he does he might think Morrow is going to be the best defenseman that ever lived, I mean he's supposed to be the next Cale Makar!
    BeautifulIdiot and vikhodush liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
    If I'm the Canucks I think I need both Morrow and Necas involved in the deal. If there is no better offers on the table I guess I could live with Necas + Keane + 1st but I think there could be a more enticing RHD offered elsewhere.

Not really interested in Bear unless he's a throw in. He's 24 and was just healthy scratched all playoffs. Don't mind him as a reclamation project but he doesn't have enough value as one of the core pieces in a Miller trade.
    Knuckl3s, BeautifulIdiot and Reason liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 9:59 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: Reason
    I would do Miller for Necas, a 1st and Keane.

I think it's possible the Canes could include Morrow instead Keane if Vancouver pressed, but don't know if that would be a deal breaker. Might depend on whether Mr. Waddell reads these forums or not, if he does he might think Morrow is going to be the best defenseman that ever lived, I mean he's supposed to be the next Cale Makar!

I think it might be pretty close to being one
    Knuckl3s liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: phillyjabroni
    Yo have you heard of this Scott Morrow guy...? Dude's basically Cale Makar

IKR, it seems like half of the canes fans think hes going to be the next cale because of one tweet
    Knuckl3s and phillyjabroni liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
    IKR, it seems like half of the canes fans think hes going to be the next cale because of one tweet

I understand everyone overrates their own prospects and I've certainly done my fair share with the Flyers when they were loaded but now they suck. Glad at least one fanbase as a crystal ball.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
    I probably wouldn’t do either of those were the only options. Would be willing to do Necas 1st Keane and Bear but also understand if that’s not enough.

I just think Canes can address that need in FA without giving up all of those assets. Sure they might spend more money in year one versus having a retainer Miller but they can make it work next year either way and can use Necas the first and other pieces to trade for a guy like Chychrun.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 10:50 p.m.
    All of us Canes fans dont undervalue Miller. We understand his value and what Vancouver should ask. The Canes front MO is not to give high dollar, high year extensions for players who will play the majority of the deal in their 30s. It would be a complete waste of our resources to make this trade knowing JT Miller would not be re-signed before or after the trade was made.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: vikhodush
    I probably wouldn’t do either of those were the only options. Would be willing to do Necas 1st Keane and Bear but also understand if that’s not enough.

I just think Canes can address that need in FA without giving up all of those assets. Sure they might spend more money in year one versus having a retainer Miller but they can make it work next year either way and can use Necas the first and other pieces to trade for a guy like Chychrun.

I agree that they can address those needs but they cant do in a way that allows you to keep cap room. Forsberg will probably get 9.5m and will only play wing where as miller will probably come closer to 8.75 and plays centre and for the first year could cost you just 2.625M. That package just isnt enough, we need one of your top RD prospects and keen might be a tweener and that wont cut it
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
    I agree that they can address those needs but they cant do in a way that allows you to keep cap room. Forsberg will probably get 9.5m and will only play wing where as miller will probably come closer to 8.75 and plays centre and for the first year could cost you just 2.625M. That package just isnt enough, we need one of your top RD prospects and keen might be a tweener and that wont cut it

Yeah I get it, I just don’t think there’s a deal to be had there realistically with the extension Miller is looking for and the assets it would cost.

Maybe there’s other short term UFA options that fit the mold - Giroux, Malkin. Or somebody like Fiala in a trade makes a lot of sense to me from a CAR and MIN perspective. Fiala has proved himself out of MIN with their cap situation and would be the perfect goal scorer top 6 guy canes are looking for. Necas plus a first and maybe a sweetener seem like it could get it done. Necas will likely sign a bridge deal to prove himself before he signs a bigger deal which works with MIN cap situation.
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: ecupirate07
    All of us Canes fans dont undervalue Miller. We understand his value and what Vancouver should ask. The Canes front MO is not to give high dollar, high year extensions for players who will play the majority of the deal in their 30s. It would be a complete waste of our resources to make this trade knowing JT Miller would not be re-signed before or after the trade was made.

Staal? or is that going too far back to the JR period. it will probably be something close to 6y 9 M and when escrow gets paid off that will be probably 9% of the overall cap in year 6. it isnt a back breaking deal but it is a deal that needs to be done by a team that is looking to compete. you could probably convince him to do a 8x6.75m that would drop him to about 6% in year 8. this is all contingent on the escrow being paid off, I think that it will as how the TV viewings have been doing escrow will be paid off by 24-25 and in 26 the cap will go up to ~92M given a 50/50 split over 32 teams and 5.9B generated. Sorry I went on a tangent, but I think that it would work
    Jun. 1, 2022 at 11:24 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: vikhodush
    Yeah I get it, I just don’t think there’s a deal to be had there realistically with the extension Miller is looking for and the assets it would cost.

Maybe there’s other short term UFA options that fit the mold - Giroux, Malkin. Or somebody like Fiala in a trade makes a lot of sense to me from a CAR and MIN perspective. Fiala has proved himself out of MIN with their cap situation and would be the perfect goal scorer top 6 guy canes are looking for. Necas plus a first and maybe a sweetener seem like it could get it done. Necas will likely sign a bridge deal to prove himself before he signs a bigger deal which works with MIN cap situation.

I think that could be a real option as how the wild now have wild amount of cap problems and have a player who will not fit in the cap
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jun. 2, 2022 at 12:05 a.m.
    Quoting: Mediumyeet
    If I'm the Canucks I think I need both Morrow and Necas involved in the deal. If there is no better offers on the table I guess I could live with Necas + Keane + 1st but I think there could be a more enticing RHD offered elsewhere.

Not really interested in Bear unless he's a throw in. He's 24 and was just healthy scratched all playoffs. Don't mind him as a reclamation project but he doesn't have enough value as one of the core pieces in a Miller trade.

For sure, Allvin will shop him around if he's available, definitely take the best package. I personally like Necas, 1st, Keane more than the reported NYR offer but I hear ya on it feeling a little low, I'm just not convinced we are going to see the return Canucks fans are hoping for. If Keane becomes a reliable 3rd pair RD with snarl I think it would work out alright, I think Necas will become a legit 2C, then a 1st in what's supposed to be a deep draft.
    Mediumyeet liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll