Forums/Armchair-GM

Fiala in Necas out

Created by: vikhodush
Team: 2022-23 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 2, 2022
Published: Jun. 2, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Have seen the Fiala - Necas+ deal on here quite a bit recently and have seen it as an idea floated elsewhere as well. I think it makes a ton of sense for both sides. CAR clearly needs a pure goal scorer and Fiala simply fits the bill. MIN is in a cap crunch for the next couple of years but needs to remain competitive so can't just ship Fiala out for draft picks and futures. Necas didn't take the next step forward in CAR like many thought he would but he was still a productive player and given the way he was deployed and handled it's not a stretch to believe he could take off with a change of scenery and a good opportunity - which playing in the Wild top 6 would certainly be w/ some of their talent. Based on this past season Necas will also likely want a bridge deal which fits in perfectly w/ Wild cap in short term.

Not sure if Kulikov is available and if that messes the deal up than can certainly take him out but Canes are probably looking for a 3rd pair guy like him on a good, short-term contract. Can replace him with Cole or some other FA if necessary.

This lineup is a little more top heavy than last season's but still has fairly good balance throughout. Probably can fit in Troch at ~6m if needed but figured Nino provides what is needed for a lower cap hit. Can also go after guys like Burra, Strome, Giroux, Copp, Palat, etc. if Nino goes elsewhere to fill out the top 9.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,500,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
8$8,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
3$5,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  2. Kulikov, Dmitry
Additional Details:
Add / change whatever is needed
MIN
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
  2. Suzuki, Ryan
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Add / change whatever is needed
CAR
PIT
  1. Trocheck, Vincent
Additional Details:
Ignore - meant to sign Nino
CAR
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Bear, Ethan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
To whoever for whatever
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$81,163,584$112,500$582,500$1,336,416

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$839,167$839,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Agree that a Fiala and Necas swap makes a lot of sense, but I think the Canes are overpaying here. I could absolutely see us moving Kulikov so if he's a fit for the Canes then that works out well for us too. Necas and the 2023 1st for Fiala and Kulikov feels pretty close. I still think it's a bit tilted in the Wild's favor, but I'm also high on Necas.
vikhodush and IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Agree that a Fiala and Necas swap makes a lot of sense, but I think the Canes are overpaying here. I could absolutely see us moving Kulikov so if he's a fit for the Canes then that works out well for us too. Necas and the 2023 1st for Fiala and Kulikov feels pretty close. I still think it's a bit tilted in the Wild's favor, but I'm also high on Necas.

Happy to send less to close the deal haha - I just wanted to try to be unbiased. I'm still high on Necas but don't think he'll ever break out here unfortunately.
TanSor and IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
What in tarnation
I like the deal. Good work.
IcemanJoe, vikhodush and villenash liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:21 a.m.
MN accepts for sure. This deal definitely beats a OTT 7OA offer. This would force NJD to dangle 2OA if they wanted Fiala. If not, I’d love this deal for MN.

To even the deal out more it’d probably be Fiala, Kulikov, 3rd for Necas, 2023 1st, and Suzuki. I don’t know exactly how high Suzuki is valued though, so maybe that’s still off?
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
I think Kuli is likely avail and can be had for like a 4th. Fiala for a 2023 1st and Necas seems pretty dang close. So I think you can drop Suzuki and bump the 3rd back a round or two.

This is obviously pure conjecture, but IMO, for a team like Carolina, you could get Fiala on a 7.5x7. No basis for that, but I view $8M as his premium rate which I don’t think would be required in the case of a young and successful team like CAR.
vikhodush, TanSor and futurehofer liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: IcemanJoe
MN accepts for sure. This deal definitely beats a OTT 7OA offer. This would force NJD to dangle 2OA if they wanted Fiala. If not, I’d love this deal for MN.

To even the deal out more it’d probably be Fiala, Kulikov, 3rd for Necas, 2023 1st, and Suzuki. I don’t know exactly how high Suzuki is valued though, so maybe that’s still off?

Suzuki has fallen out of favor a bit because of bad luck injuries. He's still a young prospect w/ high upside but he did have an eye injury which will never 100% recover. He's supposedly able to play despite that but obviously isn't as highly rated as he once was. It's tough w/ him b/c he has top 6 upside but if he can't get there I don't think he'll be a middle/bottom 6 type guy. Risk/reward is boom or bust imo
IcemanJoe, TanSor and evelutions2 liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
I think Kuli is likely avail and can be had for like a 4th. Fiala for a 2023 1st and Necas seems pretty dang close. So I think you can drop Suzuki and bump the 3rd back a round or two.

This is obviously pure conjecture, but IMO, for a team like Carolina, you could get Fiala on a 7.5x7. No basis for that, but I view $8M as his premium rate which I don’t think would be required in the case of a young and successful team like CAR.

That's good to know - every penny counts but wouldn't mind stretching up to 8 if that meant he'd sign here long term. Would be fun to watch Fiala w/ guys like Aho, Turbo, Jarvis & Svech.
MNCountryClub, IcemanJoe and TanSor liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
Happy to send less to close the deal haha - I just wanted to try to be unbiased. I'm still high on Necas but don't think he'll ever break out here unfortunately.

And that's why I think he's a perfect fit for us. There's lots of flexibility to our roster so we have spots to give him an opportunity to succeed. I think Hartman and Gaudreau are prime candidates to regress next season and Necas should like a glove (on paper) on either of those lines if he shows he can stick at center. If he can't stick at center, we could just keep Hartman and Gaudreau at center and play him on the wing with Boldy. He won't get that same opportunity in Carolina with Jarvis breaking out and Kotkaniemi getting the long-term extension. And while Hartman and Gaudreau had good seasons, we've needed a skilled right shot forward (ideally that can play center) for a very long time, and Necas ticks that box.

I will say, our beat writer Michael Russo just came out with a podcast yesterday and a twitter user asked him a question about getting a center prospect in return for Fiala and Russo said (paraphrasing): "I think if Guerin is offered a good center prospect they would take that straight up". So maybe it's as simple as Necas for Fiala which I don't like as much, but wouldn't hate it compared to, say, moving him for the 7th overall pick. I'll try to find where it is in the podcast and post it.
vikhodush and IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
And that's why I think he's a perfect fit for us. There's lots of flexibility to our roster so we have spots to give him an opportunity to succeed. I think Hartman and Gaudreau are prime candidates to regress next season and Necas should like a glove (on paper) on either of those lines if he shows he can stick at center. If he can't stick at center, we could just keep Hartman and Gaudreau at center and play him on the wing with Boldy. He won't get that same opportunity in Carolina with Jarvis breaking out and Kotkaniemi getting the long-term extension. And while Hartman and Gaudreau had good seasons, we've needed a skilled right shot forward (ideally that can play center) for a very long time, and Necas ticks that box.

I will say, our beat writer Michael Russo just came out with a podcast yesterday and a twitter user asked him a question about getting a center prospect in return for Fiala and Russo said (paraphrasing): "I think if Guerin is offered a good center prospect they would take that straight up". So maybe it's as simple as Necas for Fiala which I don't like as much, but wouldn't hate it compared to, say, moving him for the 7th overall pick. I'll try to find where it is in the podcast and post it.

Wow, surprised Guerin wouldn't expect more but I guess he knows he doesn't have a ton of leverage? Any concerns around Fiala's work ethic / coachability? I think I read stuff about him butting heads with Evason in the past but not sure if that was actually an issue or what the deal was there. RBA is a pretty even keeled, players coach who generally gets the most out of guys and haven't ever heard of a player having an issue with him outside of guys being frustrated with not getting more playing time (usually they don't deserve the increased PT in those instances) so don't think that would be a concern w/ Fiala in CAR.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
Wow, surprised Guerin wouldn't expect more but I guess he knows he doesn't have a ton of leverage? Any concerns around Fiala's work ethic / coachability? I think I read stuff about him butting heads with Evason in the past but not sure if that was actually an issue or what the deal was there. RBA is a pretty even keeled, players coach who generally gets the most out of guys and haven't ever heard of a player having an issue with him outside of guys being frustrated with not getting more playing time (usually they don't deserve the increased PT in those instances) so don't think that would be a concern w/ Fiala in CAR.

Found it. Link to podcast, question is asked at 23:40, and the specific comment I was referring to starts at 24:05

So the thing with Fiala is that he sort of grew up with Dean as his coach in the AHL (Dean was the coach of the Admirals when Fiala was in their system). They have a history, and have always butted heads. He didn't have this "issue" (if you want to call it that) with Boudreau. Work ethic is absolutely not a question with Fiala, he works his ass off every game. He will definitely make dumb mistakes by turning over the puck, but it's not due to lack of effort. I don't think there would be any issues with coachability/work ethic in Carolina.
IcemanJoe and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
Fiala is perfect for Carolina, another perimeter player to go with the rest of roster that cant play playoff hockey
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.

Price all comes down to how many teams are in on him. I think the base is a 23 1st and a young guy like Necas (CAR), Mercer (NJD), Kupari (LAK), Pinto (OTT).

I do think an extra piece is involved or somebody puts up a top 10 first in 22 is gonna be what takes to get it done. I’m personally high on Suzuki and think he’s be a great addition we don’t need to rush.
IcemanJoe, TanSor and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: yztnuK
Fiala is perfect for Carolina, another perimeter player to go with the rest of roster that cant play playoff hockey

I think Fiala’s playoff performance was directly linked to his line mates playing very poorly. Boldy and Gaudreau were awful in the playoffs. That made Fiala try to do everything himself, which got him in trouble with TO’s. Fiala needs another offensive weapon to best utilize his skills. Most of the one on one stuff ends in playoffs because of better defense, so you need line mates.
TanSor and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
Price all comes down to how many teams are in on him. I think the base is a 23 1st and a young guy like Necas (CAR), Mercer (NJD), Kupari (LAK), Pinto (OTT).

I do think an extra piece is involved or somebody puts up a top 10 first in 22 is gonna be what takes to get it done. I’m personally high on Suzuki and think he’s be a great addition we don’t need to rush.

Agreed. I think OTT really wants Fiala and would offer 7OA. So any team wanting Fiala needs to beat that offer. Which I think this offer does.
TanSor, jnowariak and vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Agreed. I think OTT really wants Fiala and would offer 7OA. So any team wanting Fiala needs to beat that offer. Which I think this offer does.

If OTT offers 7 OA and Pinto that is correct, that’s unless NJD comes in with Mercer and another blue chip or 2 OA. The prospect is gonna matter big time.
IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
If OTT offers 7 OA and Pinto that is correct, that’s unless NJD comes in with Mercer and another blue chip or 2 OA. The prospect is gonna matter big time.

This could start a big bidding war. I’m expecting a lesser return because we’re MN, it’s what usually happens to us haha. But I’m hoping for the best. 2OA or Pinto and 7OA would be a HR in my book.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Hii
This could start a big bidding war. I’m expecting a lesser return because we’re MN, it’s what usually happens to us haha. But I’m hoping for the best. 2OA or Pinto and 7OA would be a HR in my book.

Pinto is off the table!
Jun. 2, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: yztnuK

Another invaluable comment
Jun. 2, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
Found it. Link to podcast, question is asked at 23:40, and the specific comment I was referring to starts at 24:05

So the thing with Fiala is that he sort of grew up with Dean as his coach in the AHL (Dean was the coach of the Admirals when Fiala was in their system). They have a history, and have always butted heads. He didn't have this "issue" (if you want to call it that) with Boudreau. Work ethic is absolutely not a question with Fiala, he works his ass off every game. He will definitely make dumb mistakes by turning over the puck, but it's not due to lack of effort. I don't think there would be any issues with coachability/work ethic in Carolina.

Nice! Thanks for providing - that's helpful context too. Really hope Waddell and Guerin get on the horn and talk through this type of deal!
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.
Quoting: Hii
Pinto is off the table!

I mean that’s entirely possible. But I think it’s possible he’s available if a bidding war ensues. Dorian personally scouted Fiala numerous times last season. He supposedly really wants him. I wouldn’t be shocked if He panics and offers 7 and Pinto to get it done. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if it’s only 7OA coming back.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
Hii
I mean that’s entirely possible. But I think it’s possible he’s available if a bidding war ensues. Dorian personally scouted Fiala numerous times last season. He supposedly really wants him. I wouldn’t be shocked if He panics and offers 7 and Pinto to get it done. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if it’s only 7OA coming back.

If he offers Pinto I think the Sens fanbase will storm his twitter and the CTC and personally fire him. The Sens fanbase loves him.

I wouldn't be suprised if it is the popular 7th OA and Jarventie going back for Fiala but I could totally see Ottawa just kicky back and letting their players develop and then contend cause the East is going to be killer.
IcemanJoe liked this.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: Hii
If he offers Pinto I think the Sens fanbase will storm his twitter and the CTC and personally fire him. The Sens fanbase loves him.

I wouldn't be suprised if it is the popular 7th OA and Jarventie going back for Fiala but I could totally see Ottawa just kicky back and letting their players develop and then contend cause the East is going to be killer.

Haha now that would be something. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m very curious to see what the package ends up being.
Hii liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll