SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

What should the Oilers do at the Draft

Jun. 3, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
I make typos
what should the Oilers do at the draft? in my opinion they need to use their first on a dman specifically a RD because LD is pretty much set with Nurse/Broberg/Nemo(Kulak?)/Sammy, but other then Bouchard and maybe Barrie if he is still in Oil country in a couple years the Oilers don't really have an other guys how look like they are going to make the NHL, maybe Kemp or Desharnais but those guys will probably be 7/8 Dmen. The Oilers need to focus on Dmen and Goaltending this year because they already have enough quality forwards in the system with Holloway, Savoie, Petrov, Lavoie, Tullio, Hamblin etc. and with Konovalov leave the org. for the KHL and Skinner going to the NHL full time that leaves Fanti and Rodrigue as the only goalies in the system so they really need to add a goalie this draft. to some up, the Oilers need to prioritize Right Defense and Goaltending in 2022.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 11:27 a.m.
Guide Record Book
I'm willing to bet that Tyler Wright and their amateur scouting staff will trade down to recoup lost assets with another team. The Oilers are missing a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round selection in the upcoming draft. A trade down to pick in the 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th would be ideal. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to trade down in the scenario that their desired prospect goes off the board. With the example of obtaining a 2nd and an additional pick in either the 3rd or 4th round, that 2nd could also be traded down to having a 3rd and 4th pick. The point is to create more picks in the later rounds that started with a single late 1st round pick. And they still have picks in rounds 5, 6, and 7.

All that being said, my philosophy on this year's draft is... draft by best player available instead of drafting by need (with some exceptions to the goalie position). Considering how late the picks are and they're not certain to make it to the NHL, get the best player whether its a F, D, or G(again with some exceptions). Fill up any need via trades or free agency.

The Oilers have a good mix of F and D prospects in the system, but light on the G prospect. Broberg and Niemelainen should see more time in the NHL. Samorukov will either be with the team in the fall or be traded in the off season since he is not waiver eligible anymore. Oilers still hold the rights to defencemens, Luca Münzenberger and Max Wanner, they haven't been offered contracts yet. They haven't selected a goalie since picking Konovalov from the 2019 draft, and he's recently departed for the KHL. So it's expected that they'll select a goalie with one of the picks in this year's draft.
oilersguy liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
I make typos
Quoting: ThirdPeriodCringe
I'm willing to bet that Tyler Wright and their amateur scouting staff will trade down to recoup lost assets with another team. The Oilers are missing a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round selection in the upcoming draft. A trade down to pick in the 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th would be ideal. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to trade down in the scenario that their desired prospect goes off the board. With the example of obtaining a 2nd and an additional pick in either the 3rd or 4th round, that 2nd could also be traded down to having a 3rd and 4th pick. The point is to create more picks in the later rounds that started with a single late 1st round pick. And they still have picks in rounds 5, 6, and 7.

All that being said, my philosophy on this year's draft is... draft by best player available instead of drafting by need (with some exceptions to the goalie position). Considering how late the picks are and they're not certain to make it to the NHL, get the best player whether its a F, D, or G(again with some exceptions). Fill up any need via trades or free agency.

The Oilers have a good mix of F and D prospects in the system, but light on the G prospect. Broberg and Niemelainen should see more time in the NHL. Samorukov will either be with the team in the fall or be traded in the off season since he is not waiver eligible anymore. Oilers still hold the rights to defencemens, Luca Münzenberger and Max Wanner, they haven't been offered contracts yet. They haven't selected a goalie since picking Konovalov from the 2019 draft, and he's recently departed for the KHL. So it's expected that they'll select a goalie with one of the picks in this year's draft.

I agree with you about Trading down I was thinking maybe they could trade for the Krakens 35th and 61st picks. But I really think with their first pick they need to pick a RD, because other then Broberg all of the Dmen prospects the Oilers have are projected to be bottom pair/depth Dmen, I think they should pick someone like Elias Salomonsson or Seamus Casey
Jun. 9, 2022 at 8:14 p.m.
Guide Record Book
Edited Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:53 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
I agree with you about Trading down I was thinking maybe they could trade for the Krakens 35th and 61st picks. But I really think with their first pick they need to pick a RD, because other then Broberg all of the Dmen prospects the Oilers have are projected to be bottom pair/depth Dmen, I think they should pick someone like Elias Salomonsson or Seamus Casey

Assuming that either Salomonsson or Casey are still available when the Oilers pick. But what are the chances either player are still on the board? You can never have enough Ds in the prospect pool, especially RDs. There's just so many teams picking ahead of the Oilers which makes it challenging.

Seattle would be a good target to trade down but I'm not sure how realistic that is considering they're not only a divisional rival but also an expansion team with a bare prospect pool.
oilersguy liked this.
Jun. 11, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
Ban Price trades
If neither Chesley or Miroshnichenko are available, I'd be happy with trading the pick for immediate help and I would tolerate trading back to recoup more assets.

I still think a name like Barrie fetches a 2nd rounder in this draft so I'm not exactly pining for maximizing draft capital with the #29 pick. I'd much prefer to see the organization gamble on some CHL and NCAA grads to keep the pipeline full than prioritizing having Holland's requisite six picks. McDavid and Draisaitl just showed how far they're capable of dragging a flawed, injured roster. Give them more support to land a Stanley or two while they're still under these contracts.
oilersguy liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
I make typos
Edited Jul. 8, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
nvm
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
Guide Record Book
I didn't like our picks at the draft but at least we gained cap space but we'll have to fill in the roster for Kassian and Keith.

This ensures we'll have enough room to sign Kane, McLeod, Yams, Kulak, and I think the Bison King gets traded for another player that needs a change of scenery.
Sep. 19, 2022 at 6:16 p.m.
I make typos
Edited Sep. 19, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.
removed
Sep. 19, 2022 at 7:58 p.m.
I make typos
Edited Sep. 22, 2022 at 8:48 p.m.
removed
Sep. 23, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
I make typos
nevermind

To create a post please Login or Register