SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Columbus Blue Jackets

CBJ Big Game Hunting for Laine tell me what you want

Jun. 8, 2022 at 9:40 a.m.
Trying to find a player that works with Laine on the top line. Trying to see if there's anything out there to help our sweet boy.

Obviously we would prefer to not give up young core such as SIllinger and Johnson. On D it doesn't make sense to give up Werenski or Gavrikov since we are only getting an F back. Nothing is off the table though, let's make a deal grin
Jun. 8, 2022 at 9:54 a.m.
Banned
Well i can tell you, You aren't getting Dylan Larkin without one of Cole Sillinger or Kent Johnson heading the other way. And since Kent Johnson does have some Michigan roots Yzerman would want him as a starting piece.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
Demidov to MTL
I imagine Fiala, Konecny, Karlsson or Nylander are the most realistic targets here
SK101, pocke, Ajp_18 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
Thomas is not available. Kyrou would take a big return to get back which would likely include Gavrikov and a pick from Columbus which Jarmo won't do.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Yegor bomb
JT Miller probs the best option if VAN decides to move on from him
Ajp_18 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Quoting: TampaBayLightning22
Well i can tell you, You aren't getting Dylan Larkin without one of Cole Sillinger or Kent Johnson heading the other way. And since Kent Johnson does have some Michigan roots Yzerman would want him as a starting piece.

It would be tough to do, but I think the Larkin-Werenski juice would go a long way. If we keep 6OA this year I can theoretically see it. Definitely not an easy trade to make by any means, but Larkin's skating gives Laine a lot to work with.

Quoting: Cadyn
I imagine Fiala, Konecny, Karlsson or Nylander are the most realistic targets here

Yeah, but I want Meier, Kyrou or Sam Reinhart more. Karlsson only makes sense if it's a value play. Konecny likely only makes sense if we can trade up prospects. We would have to see where the deals are.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
JT Miller probs the best option if VAN decides to move on from him

I'm worried about him falling off too soon in comparison to other targets.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
Thomas is not available. Kyrou would take a big return to get back which would likely include Gavrikov and a pick from Columbus which Jarmo won't do.

Definitely hard to move Gavrikov. If Jarmo finds the assets elsewhere with a Boqvist or something move for Chychrun I could see it. This also makes our Russian assets more tradeable as we don't have Gavvy in the room. Kyrou would unlock Laine and would make a great line with Sillinger in a couple of years.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: pocke
It would be tough to do, but I think the Larkin-Werenski juice would go a long way. If we keep 6OA this year I can theoretically see it. Definitely not an easy trade to make by any means, but Larkin's skating gives Laine a lot to work with.

Larkin with an extension would cost Kent Johnson+Chicago's 2022 1st round pick #6 Columbus 2023 1st round pick top 10 protected and a 2022/2023 2nd round pick at the very least. basically Kent Johnson 2 1st and a 2nd is a fair offer for Dylan Larkin say at $8,500,000 x 8 years.

Yeah, but I want Meier, Kyrou or Sam Reinhart more. Karlsson only makes sense if it's a value play. Konecny likely only makes sense if we can trade up prospects. We would have to see where the deals are.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:15 a.m.
So, in my mind, I would remove all the potentials that are older than Laine (or not close). No reason to trade someone that young and accomplished for someone older. In many of those cases, you aren't saving much in the cap anyway, and you are shortening the runway to UFA.

After doing that, you are left with:

Hischier - Interesting thought. Cs are worth much more than Ws, but Laine is probably slightly more valuable. Hischier and a B+ prospect/late 2nd round pick might be the equivalent. But, I don't think NJD would do it, their C depth might be one of the best things about their future, and they can get a top W in this draft with 2OA and lock in cost certainty.

Travis Konecny - Slightly older, but close enough. Again, Cs are more valuable, but I think Laine is way better than Konecny, unless Konecny really turns around his trends from the last 2 years for his underlying numbers. It would have to be Konecny, an A prospect, and a pick to start.

Dylan Larkin - Again, slightly older, and a C. No way DET trades its hometown captain. The Illitches don't trade their captains unless they beg them to. They vetoed the Yzerman trade to OTT when Bowman was begging them to do it. Since Steve, all DET captains have been Wings lifers, once they made Larkin the captain that defined the UFA strategy for DET. Larkin is 1 year from UFA as well, so even if you could get him to sign an extension, you aren't saving any money, he'll command at least 8.5m/year. A realistic trade would be close to 1 for 1, but the required Yzerman trade would have DET winning HUGE, something to the effect of Laine + Johnson or Sillinger for Larkin, which is obviously a no-go.

Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas - Both interesting names, both in the right age ranges, but would that improve the team? Trades for either of them would be Kyrou/Thomas plus a B+ prospect/2nd round pick for Laine. Each would give you cost savings, and Thomas would add more runway to the UFA timeline.

Matthew Tkachuk - Tkachuk has played 1 more year, but is only slightly older. From an underlying numbers perspective, Tkachuk has more value than Laine, scores at a slightly higher pace (fewer goals, but more assists, and does it with fewer shots and a more sustainable shooting percentage), plays a much tougher game and can play on the defensive side too (does have future Selke consideration in him). Salaries will be about the same (8-8.5M/year). At best, CGY would do it as a 1-for-1 trade, but most likely CLB would have to pay more to get Tkachuk.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:15 a.m.
Definitely hard to move Gavrikov. If Jarmo finds the assets elsewhere with a Boqvist or something move for Chychrun I could see it. This also makes our Russian assets more tradeable as we don't have Gavvy in the room. Kyrou would unlock Laine and would make a great line with Sillinger in a couple of years.

Problem is Blues need to hold on to the young forwards they do have because they dont have a ton of NHL top 6 talent in the pipeline. I only see Kyrou being dealt for one of two types of people: Matthew Tkachuk or a top LD under 25 (or close to that). So unfortunately for Columbus there's only one guy which is Gavrikov but even then he wouldn't be enough.
pocke liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: TMarch
So, in my mind, I would remove all the potentials that are older than Laine (or not close). No reason to trade someone that young and accomplished for someone older. In many of those cases, you aren't saving much in the cap anyway, and you are shortening the runway to UFA.

After doing that, you are left with:

Hischier - Interesting thought. Cs are worth much more than Ws, but Laine is probably slightly more valuable. Hischier and a B+ prospect/late 2nd round pick might be the equivalent. But, I don't think NJD would do it, their C depth might be one of the best things about their future, and they can get a top W in this draft with 2OA and lock in cost certainty.

Travis Konecny - Slightly older, but close enough. Again, Cs are more valuable, but I think Laine is way better than Konecny, unless Konecny really turns around his trends from the last 2 years for his underlying numbers. It would have to be Konecny, an A prospect, and a pick to start.

Dylan Larkin - Again, slightly older, and a C. No way DET trades its hometown captain. The Illitches don't trade their captains unless they beg them to. They vetoed the Yzerman trade to OTT when Bowman was begging them to do it. Since Steve, all DET captains have been Wings lifers, once they made Larkin the captain that defined the UFA strategy for DET. Larkin is 1 year from UFA as well, so even if you could get him to sign an extension, you aren't saving any money, he'll command at least 8.5m/year. A realistic trade would be close to 1 for 1, but the required Yzerman trade would have DET winning HUGE, something to the effect of Laine + Johnson or Sillinger for Larkin, which is obviously a no-go.

Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas - Both interesting names, both in the right age ranges, but would that improve the team? Trades for either of them would be Kyrou/Thomas plus a B+ prospect/2nd round pick for Laine. Each would give you cost savings, and Thomas would add more runway to the UFA timeline.

Matthew Tkachuk - Tkachuk has played 1 more year, but is only slightly older. From an underlying numbers perspective, Tkachuk has more value than Laine, scores at a slightly higher pace (fewer goals, but more assists, and does it with fewer shots and a more sustainable shooting percentage), plays a much tougher game and can play on the defensive side too (does have future Selke consideration in him). Salaries will be about the same (8-8.5M/year). At best, CGY would do it as a 1-for-1 trade, but most likely CLB would have to pay more to get Tkachuk.

Sorry, I meant to complement Laine. Not trading for Laine.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
I have had a sneaking suspicion that Columbus could be a dark horse team for Fiala. They have tons of cap and a lot of good prospects along with high picks in the draft this year. Personally I don't think it's wise for them to trade for Fiala since they're probably still a couple years out from being competitive, but Jarmo has been known to be aggressive.

Fiala's price will depend on how many teams are in on him. Obviously Sillinger or Johnson would be great from the Wild's perspective but I highly doubt Jarmo moves either for Fiala. If Ottawa is offering the 7th overall pick in a package, I would bet the ask from Columbus would be 6 OA at least and maybe a lesser prospect. Texier could be an interesting piece, but I don't think Columbus would add him to 6 OA. Is Texier and the 12th overall pick too rich?
pocke liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
Larkin will likely not be traded but if his asking price is too high Yzerman could move on. It would likely take Johnson and 6 OV. Maybe another piece as well. I doubt CBJ would pay that price.
pocke liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
Yegor bomb
I'm worried about him falling off too soon in comparison to other targets.

We'd have to give up more than anyone would want if we got a younger 1C. JT may fall off or he could be a bergeron and play well for many years. JT could be obtained for the 12 OA and a prospect or 2. Larkin would take Kent + 6 OA + another top prospect. If you would be okay with giving up all that for Larkin then go for it, if not then JT is the only player in our price range that fills that 1C void
pocke liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:21 a.m.
mokumboi
Thomas is out of the question. Kyrou probably is, as well, considering what you want to give up.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
Sorry, I meant to complement Laine. Not trading for Laine.

Oh, sorry. I read it as a trading Laine. Then ignore all that smile
pocke liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:25 a.m.
Patient gm
I could see a deal between Minnesota and Columbus just going a little
Bigger. Dumba and fiala not just fiala, good locker room to cultivate the young roster and get better efforts from liane and bring the young pieces to a more cohesive route. No idea on that type of package, but would be a larger move and be good for the team in several ways
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
Quoting: TanSor
I have had a sneaking suspicion that Columbus could be a dark horse team for Fiala. They have tons of cap and a lot of good prospects along with high picks in the draft this year. Personally I don't think it's wise for them to trade for Fiala since they're probably still a couple years out from being competitive, but Jarmo has been known to be aggressive.

Fiala's price will depend on how many teams are in on him. Obviously Sillinger or Johnson would be great from the Wild's perspective but I highly doubt Jarmo moves either for Fiala. If Ottawa is offering the 7th overall pick in a package, I would bet the ask from Columbus would be 6 OA at least and maybe a lesser prospect. Texier could be an interesting piece, but I don't think Columbus would add him to 6 OA. Is Texier and the 12th overall pick too rich?

I don't think we can do 6. I think there's something here depending on who is available at 12 (if its Nazar/Gauthier we have to pass, but many people have those two all over the place and Gauther has been trending way up). Depends on whether Fiala likes Columbus at all either. We can't really afford to have players that don't want to be here.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: Lightman13
I could see a deal between Minnesota and Columbus just going a little
Bigger. Dumba and fiala not just fiala, good locker room to cultivate the young roster and get better efforts from liane and bring the young pieces to a more cohesive route. No idea on that type of package, but would be a larger move and be good for the team in several ways

I like Dumba, and I wouldn't mind a trade for him for the right price. The problem here is that it kicks our contention window open which means we have to be able to succeed with Jenner/Roslovic/Sillinger/Johnson as our C options in the top 6. I am not sure they are ready, but maybe a year or two of playoff experience changes that. It would certainly mean a lot more wheeling and dealing from Jarmo and he certainly has the 'nads for it.
TanSor and Lightman13 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Patient gm
I like Dumba, and I wouldn't mind a trade for him for the right price. The problem here is that it kicks our contention window open which means we have to be able to succeed with Jenner/Roslovic/Sillinger/Johnson as our C options in the top 6. I am not sure they are ready, but maybe a year or two of playoff experience changes that. It would certainly mean a lot more wheeling and dealing from Jarmo and he certainly has the 'nads for it.

I know dumba is going to get more in the 4m range after his current deal and fiala will sign for 7-8 years, so it would set up the team some a bit more of a leadership core, but yea would make the expectation to contend after the upcoming season, be playoffs in the next 2 years and have a long stretch for years like 3-7 maybe. Idk just thinking outside the box about how it could serve both clubs well.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: TampaBayLightning22

"Starting piece" laugh
Larkin has 1 year left, and for sure is he not returning a former 5th overall pick
Jun. 12, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
you could try meier for 6OA + something

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll