Forums/Armchair-GM

Long Term Sens and 2022 Draft Targets

Created by: Alfie11
Team: 2022-23 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 5, 2022
Published: Jun. 9, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All old players are gone for the purpose of this ACGM, the point is to look at where the guys we have have proven they can play and where prospects might fit, as well as the holes we have. Not bothering with contracts.

Top 6 RW: Mathieu Joseph may have filled this hole. If he can continue his chemistry with Tkachuk and Norris that would be excellent, as 3RW is an easier hole to fill (one of Boucher or Sokolov can probably fill that from within, or someone we draft this year). I do think this should be the position we draft for if we keep the 7th overall pick. My two choices would be Kemell (although I’d probably stick him with Stutzle) and Savoie (who I think could work on either top line).

Top 6 LW: This one is more up in the air, but hopefully gets filled this summer. I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in a guy like Burakovsky or Palat in UFA or trading for Fiala. From within, Greig might fill this spot, he’s looking really good (if Pinto can’t handle 3C, which I doubt, Greig’s also a candidate to steal that job). Jarventie is another option to potentially become the 2LW but he’ll take another year or two to develop. If either of Crookshank or Lodin hit, it’s likely they fill this spot, not sure I see either as a 4th line type.

4LW: Probably just Parker Kelly, or some random veteran. Ostapchuk has thrown his hat into the ring as an intriguing option though too. He didn’t have a mind-boggling DY+1 in terms of offensive production, but he really turned it on in the playoffs. He helped lead the Giants to an upset over the Silvertips before falling to the Blazers, and finished with 23 points in only 12 games (notably he had the same number of games with 3+ points as he did with 0 points on this run, which is wild). A natural centre, he might push Kastelic for the 4C spot, but I like the sound of him at 4LW too, because he’s big, physical, and obviously has that X-factor in big situations. Depth scoring is vital in the playoffs, so if we can develop a solid 4th liner with the upside of providing a few timely goals in the spring, that will almost be worth passing on Stankoven, Raty, Chibrikov, Pinelli, etc. Hopefully he can learn to PK (not sure if he does that yet, haven’t been able to find much on the defensive side of his game from the scouting reports I’ve read). Reinhardt might also fill this role, possibly as soon as next year, iirc he had a great camp this year. Good PKer and good skater, which is what you like from your 4th line.

4RW: Watson for now, Boucher or Sokolov should be able to slide in there if they don’t end up further up the depth chart. Maybe White for the duration of his contract if we keep him around.

Top 4 RD: Big position of need here. Chabot + Sanderson (projected obviously) looks the type of 1-2 punch that lead contenders. Zub is a quality top 4 guy that can be relied on to log big defensive minutes, and particularly be a PK ace. I hope we start looking at signing him to an extension a year out, he’s the type of guy you need to win. But even if we retain Zub, we’re missing a top 4 RD. Hopefully Thomson or JBD can become that guy. Both have shown flashes of it this year, and I anticipate one of them will have a very good opportunity to make the team out of camp next season, and both should see plenty of playing time when injuries inevitably occur. This is a weird one because neither is a lock (both mid- to late-1sts, rather than a bona fide guy like Sanderson), but both look solid enough that they still project to lock down that #4 slot, yet there is still a chance that neither makes it, which would kinda leave us floundering, and having to desperately fill that hole via trade or free agency in a couple years when we’re contending. I think drafting more RD should be a priority (Max Guenette has been a nice surprise but doesn’t look like a top 4 guy, not a huge fan of Ben Roger personally), but unless we somehow get gifted the no-brainer option of Nemec or Jiricek inexplicably slipping to 7, this should be a target with our 2nd or later (which also would mean 4+ years of development most likely, so best to get on that ASAP). I’ll talk about some targets I like later.

3LD: Another weird one. Brannstrom has shown he’s more than capable of locking down this role imo, but playing him at 3LD means that both our remaining hols on the right side NEED to be effective PKers, not giving us much wiggle room in terms of stylistic mix and matching. I’ve always been a big Brannstrom fan, and think he’s an excellent PP QB, but I’m not sure Smith is the biggest fan, and he should be a decent trade piece, so he might be on the move for help up front. Conversely, if he does get moved this off-season, that opens up the need for a PP2 QB (presumably Chabot/Sanderson/Holden would be the left side and Zub/Hamonic would be on the right, possibly with Zaitsev, but hopefully with Thomson), because Chabot can’t keep playing 43 minutes a night forever. Sanderson might be the PP2 guy eventually, but that might be a lot of pressure for a rookie (and Thomson DOES have a bomb, I hope he makes the team out of camp lol, either over one of Zaitsev/Hamonic or ideally, if Zaitsev is moved). Anyway, if Brannstrom does get moved, Kleven is our only real option at 3LD, which is solid enough, but he’s minimum 2-3 years away from the NHL. Holden might be able to lock things down until then though, and luckily 3LD might just be the easiest position on the roster to find for cheap in free agency.

3RD: This is an interesting one. In an ideal world, both Thomson and JBD hit, one of them or Zub gets “stuck” on the 3rd pair, and we have an elite D corps for years (or, alternatively, one of them becomes expendable as a trade chip, likely Zub in this scenario, not that he should be moved in any other scenario). Guenette may also be able to fill this role in a couple years. I think RD is a very important position, so I’d advise the Sens to draft another one to develop while they still have some time to work with, and another year with four top 75 picks.

Starting Goalie: By far the biggest organizational need. Any team without a legitimate, established 1G should always be making that a very high priority, because very rarely do successful teams have average or worse goaltending. Right now I think we have a few solid candidates, but none particularly close. Gustavsson has shown flashes of the required talent throughout his career, including a solid cameo last season, but regressed a bit this year (at the NHL level at least, although our atrocious team defense + injuries could be to blame because he was still pretty good on a middling Belleville team). Hopefully he can get back on track, starting with claiming the 1B spot and ideally getting into 30 games next year. Sogaard is my favourite for this position, because I love big goalies and they don’t get much bigger than 6’8”. He was solid as an AHL rookie, but could probably use another couple years to hone his game. He’s the best shot we have at developing a high-end starting netminder in-house. Merilainen was just okay in his North American debut for Kingston. Like Gustavsson, he shows flashes of brilliance, and apparently has the competitiveness/attitude to improve, but he’ll need a lot of seasoning. Might start with a heavy workload in the ECHL for reps, although I’d hope he gets a look in Belleville next year too.

Backup/1B Goalie: I’m less worried about this position tbh. Forsberg’s floor is this for the next 5 years, and all 3 of the guys above should ideally at least reach backup capability. Plus there’s Kevin Mandolese (2020 QMJHL goalie of the year) for solid organizational depth, it wouldn’t surprise me if he “comes out of nowhere” to play backup solidly for a stretch a few years down the line. Backups also aren’t too difficult to find in UFA for an affordable price (look at guys like Raanta and Brossoit that seem to switch teams every year). But in my opinion, good teams take a goalie every year, because having your own guy taking one of those two spots on his ELC/close to league min 2nd contract is invaluable, and young backups that deserve to be there are typically the hungriest and among the most talented backups, especially for the price. So I also think we should be drafting another goalie this year, and honestly, because we’re more or less set long term in a lot of positions, we might as well just take the best goalie available (imo that’s Leinonen, who I would be fine with taking with our 63-65 or at 72, because even though this is a weak goalie year, I highly doubt he slips much further).

So now for the draft. With our 4 top 75 picks I think it’s critical that we pick up a scoring line winger with 7oa, and then with the two 2nds + early 3rd I’d take a RD, another forward, and a goalie (we didn’t take one last year and I’m a big believer in taking one every year so the pipeline is always stocked, you can never have too many good goalies).

At 7oa my ideal choice would probably be Joakim Kemell. He plays hard and has a great shot. Solid enough skater. Seems like he’d fit very well with a guy like Stutzle who can create space for him and then feed him the puck. I also wouldn’t mind Matthew Savoie, who has one of the highest skill ceilings in the draft. His only flaw is his size, but we have enough big guys. He’d be great as the driver for Norris and Tkachuk, or him and Stutzle would just dazzle. He’d be a great pick too. Other acceptable picks: Jonathan Lekkerimaki (similar to Kemell, but with a better shot and significantly worse compete level apparently, so Kemell has the edge if both are available imo), Cutter Gauthier (big, fast, great shot, he’s everything the Sens have been coveting for years, but he’s going to be developed as a centre starting next year so he’d have to shift back to the wing to crack our top 6, which is fine, although I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by 7, bonus points for an awesome name), any of the presumptive top 5 that fall (Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek).

At 39oa this is where I’d take the RD. Given how this draft lines up, I’d expect a run on RD to start somewhere in the late 20s (wouldn’t surprise me to see 3-5 LD taken in the top 25 along with plenty of forwards, but after the big two RD, I could see the next one not getting taken until ~25oa). Luckily, there are a LOT of decent RD in this range, and we should be taking one, preferably that can play defense effectively (and ideally kill penalties for us one day). I think Seamus Casey will be gone, and probably Ryan Chesley and Tristan Luneau as well, but those would probably be my top 3 RD available starting in the late 1st (although I’m not sure Luneau fits what we need as well as the other two). I would consider trading up to nab Casey or Chesley, but honestly there are so many RD options it might not be worth it. Realistically I would take one of these 4:
- Elias Salomonsson: decent frame, poor season, but oodles of talent, if we get him to NA and develop him for 4 years he could be a top 4 guy
- Sam Rinzel: big, solid skater, decent on the rush and can play both special teams. Being able to skate is so important for defensemen nowadays (I just watched Calgary get burned by Edmonton because despite having 6 guys solid defensively overall, they only have 1 that’s a high-end skater), but bringing some size to 2RD or 3RD is really nice for the ability to box guys out on the PK as well
- Maveric Lamoureux: doesn’t have the talent upside or skating of Rinzel, but he’s EVEN bigger, the dude’s like 6’7” lol. Should be a lock to at least be a 3RD PK ace, and he moves the puck decently well
- Mattias Havelid: tiny, but a great skater, great offensively, and he defends the rush well. If his defensive side translates up (which might be a struggle given his size), he has a good chance to play top 4 minutes (probably the most talented/best skater of these 4, just also by far the smallest)

Not a big fan of Miguel Tourigny or Ty Nelson personally, I’d rather take Havelid if we go for a smaller, skilled guy that has question marks around his ability to defend at the pro level. Other big guys like Noah Warren and Jack Sparkes are probably too much of a reach (Lamoureux is maybe a reach as well, but he’ll probably end up going in the 2nd because he’s the most enormous, and I think he did really well at the combine too).

The only exception I’d make to not take a RD here is if a forward that should absolutely not be there falls. I’m talking like Ivan Miroshnichenko, Jiri Kulich, or Rutger McGroarty level (guys that should be gone in the top 20-25 guaranteed).

At 63-65 (wherever it ends up) and 72, we should probably take a goalie and another forward. If we took one of the forwards at 39, I’d take a RD like Warren/Sparkes/Tourigny/Kasper Kulonummi. If not, I’d target forwards like Jani Nyman, Filip Bystedt, Gleb Trikozov, Julian Lutz, Danny Zhilkin, or Vinzenz Rohrer (Rohrer might be a guy that slips to the 4th due to his size and low production in his first NA season on a bad 67’s team, so if we don’t take him here and he falls to the Boston 3rd or our 4th, we should definitely snag him). I’m hesitant to be the first team to take a goalie in a year with not many quality goalie options, because realistically there isn’t a goalie that probably deserves to go in the first two rounds, but it’s kind of inevitable that one probably will be. If one of the goalies is gone (the best two being Topias Leinonen and Tyler Brennan) I would take the other goalie here to be safe. If neither goalie is taken at 63-65, wait until 72, and then maybe grab one of them there. If we miss both goalies, just take another forward or RD. My preferred goalie would be Leinonen, because we can leave him in Finland for 2-3 years while our current logjam of goalies works itself out (we have Forsberg, Murray, Gustavsson, Sogaard, Merilainen, and Mandolese all needing pro minutes next year).

So an ideal/realistic draft would look something like:
7oa: Kemell (RW)
39oa: Rinzel (RD)
63-65oa: Lutz (LW)
72oa: Leinonen (G)
87oa: Rohrer (RW)
104oa: Isaiah George (LD)
136oa: Jere Lassila (C)
143oa: Servac Petrovsky (C)
151oa: Michael Fisher (RD)
168oa: Liam Steele (RD)
206oa: Florian Elias (C)

Haven’t fully scouted the lower end of the draft yet though, so the later picks are just some guys I’ve heard about one way or another that seem to be ranked outside the top 100. I might have some new favourites in a couple weeks.

Some other sleepers: Jordan Dumais is a must select at any point after the start of the 3rd imo. I think it's kinda crazy that some mocks have him slipping to the 4th or 5th. Jagger Firkus is a guy I'd keep my eye on, if he falls to our late 2nd I'd snap him up hella fast. If we miss out on Leinonen and Brennan, I’d keep picking forwards and defensemen for the first few rounds, and just pick a goalie with one of our 5ths or later. There are a lot of decently skilled, but tiny goalies, like Brett Brochu, Florian Bugl, Hugo Havelid, and Sergei Ivanov. One of them will almost certainly be available in the 7th. There’s probably a goalie that’s like 6’5”+ but unpolished that we could snag in the 5th (this year’s Talyn Boyko), which are usually my favourites, because you can teach positioning, but you can't teach size. Maybe Mason Beaupit or Maxim Arefyev? Haven’t done much research into goalies outside of Brennan/Leinonen yet, and I only know Brochu and Bugl from the WJC.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Top 6, RW
1$1,000,000
Top 6, LW
1$1,000,000
4th Line, LW
1$1,000,000
4th Line, RW
1$1,000,000
Top 4, RD
1$1,000,000
3rd Pair, RD
1$1,000,000
3rd Pair, LD
1$1,000,000
Starting, Goalie
1$1,000,000
Backup or 1B, Goalie
1$1,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$82,500,000$51,155,714$0$4,890,000$31,344,286
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 8
Top 6, RW
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Top 6, LW
$1,000,000$1,000,000
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
RFA
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
4th Line, LW
$1,000,000$1,000,000
$821,667$821,667
C, RW
RFA - 1
4th Line, RW
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
Top 4, RD
$1,000,000$1,000,000
3rd Pair, RD
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Starting, Goalie
$1,000,000$1,000,000
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD
UFA - 2
Backup or 1B, Goalie
$1,000,000$1,000,000
3rd Pair, LD
$1,000,000$1,000,000
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$818,333$818,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 3
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RW
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
G
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$820,000$820,000
G
RFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 9, 2022 at 7:05 p.m.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 7:05 p.m.
@sensibleguy @PLDGEY @Green4D4Again thoughts?
Jun. 9, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Alfie11
Claesson4Norris csick sensonfire thoughts?

My sense is that Kemell will be the BPA at #7.

Other than that, I have no idea what will happen exactly by the time we get to #39.

Because by that point, there will have been a few trades and some teams will have made surprising picks.
csick and Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
I'll go point form and keep it to things I have something to say about.

-TOP 4 RD: regardless of your opinion on JBD/Lassi, neither are top 4 ready. Ottawa should recognize the opportunity they have this season and aggressively target a long term upgrade. If Boston is looking at moving Pasta, that points toward a rebuild coming up, and Ottawa should aggressively target Brandon Carlo as their big add. Adds some size to the back end (6'5, 215lbs) and his defensive results speak for themselves.

-3LD: Kleven WILL play 3LD for significant time in Ottawa's peak era. The org loves this player. Optimistically, the version of him where he ends up being good defensively is that perfect final piece for this blueline. Frankly, until he plays some AHL games I'm not convinced at all he's that guy, and could be the next Ben Harpur. If he's the 2nd one he'll need to be replaced, but no team has ever struggled to find a good 3LD. Brannstrom easily fills this role imo.

3RD: I think one of Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker or Thomson gets traded this summer, so the other two can fight it out. I'm very sure all three are/will be NHL players, so it's just a matter of one of them taking that step ahead.

4th line: I'd be pretty confident that a Kelly-Kastelic duo will feature significantly through the Sens prime. Tyler Boucher seems to make a lot of sense in a 4RW role for Ottawa. Not convinced he has much offensive upside, even though he's a freakish athlete and has a lot of the raw physical tools.
Alfie11, sensonfire and OwnGoal liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I'll go point form and keep it to things I have something to say about.

-TOP 4 RD: regardless of your opinion on JBD/Lassi, neither are top 4 ready. Ottawa should recognize the opportunity they have this season and aggressively target a long term upgrade. If Boston is looking at moving Pasta, that points toward a rebuild coming up, and Ottawa should aggressively target Brandon Carlo as their big add. Adds some size to the back end (6'5, 215lbs) and his defensive results speak for themselves.

-3LD: Kleven WILL play 3LD for significant time in Ottawa's peak era. The org loves this player. Optimistically, the version of him where he ends up being good defensively is that perfect final piece for this blueline. Frankly, until he plays some AHL games I'm not convinced at all he's that guy, and could be the next Ben Harpur. If he's the 2nd one he'll need to be replaced, but no team has ever struggled to find a good 3LD. Brannstrom easily fills this role imo.

3RD: I think one of Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker or Thomson gets traded this summer, so the other two can fight it out. I'm very sure all three are/will be NHL players, so it's just a matter of one of them taking that step ahead.

4th line: I'd be pretty confident that a Kelly-Kastelic duo will feature significantly through the Sens prime. Tyler Boucher seems to make a lot of sense in a 4RW role for Ottawa. Not convinced he has much offensive upside, even though he's a freakish athlete and has a lot of the raw physical tools.

Good points! Agree with pretty much everything. I wouldn’t mind bringing in a top 4 RD this summer (love Carlo, seems like exactly the kinda rock that would complement Chabot or Sanderson), but A.) I’m not sure there are many out there that I’d like, B.) I’d rather bring in a top 6 forward if we make only one big move, and C.) I just don’t think it’s gonna happen unfortunately (with Hamonic, Zub, and Zaitsev under contract and both Thomson and JBD knocking on the door). Do I agree that Zub is the only guy there that can handle top 4 minutes and be good next year? Yeah, duh, but unfortunately they clearly don’t. I think they’re higher on Hamonic/Zaitsev than us and will prefer to wait for Thomson or JBD to step up (which won’t happen out of camp most likely, but could potentially happen by the end of the season or next year, and I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Thomson be a regular player next year mostly on the 3rd pair).

Kelly-Kastelic-Boucher does sound like a nightmare checking line to face. Just gotta make sure probably two, ideally three, of the guys on our 4th line turn into responsible PKers (cuz like, Joseph/Formenton kill penalties but the rest of the top 9 doesn’t look like they should be among our 4 best PKers, maybe Pinto will be, but I’d prefer Norris be like our backup PKer, 5th or 6th among forwards for SHTOI). I know Kelly killed some penalties this year, but he’ll have to step up and prove he can be that Trevor Lewis type imo. Also partially why Reinhardt might have a shot at making the team tbh.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:46 p.m.
KFTW
Watch them draft Snuggerud 😂
Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Watch them draft Snuggerud 😂

perish the thought 😂😂
csick liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.
KFTW
perish the thought 😂😂

Same height , same position as Boucher. Both at 1 point per game in the US program in their draft year
Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 10:21 p.m.
Same height , same position as Boucher. Both at 1 point per game in the US program in their draft year

At least he’d be a 1st round talent this time, even if it’s a late 1st 🙄
csick liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 10:22 p.m.
KFTW
At least he’d be a 1st round talent this time, even if it’s a late 1st 🙄

Dylan James is a Sens pick in the 2nd . Commited to UND

Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2022 at 10:35 p.m.
Dylan James is a Sens pick in the 2nd . Commited to UND

Wheeler has him at 86, Pronman has him at 64. I wouldn’t hate it if we used a 3rd on him, but I probably wouldn’t use Tampa’s 2nd on him, and I definitely wouldn’t take him at 39. I feel like we need to be going after more talent at this point though. A guy like that is the type of guy Tampa loves, because they know he’ll be on their 4th line in 4 years for a couple seasons. If we’re targeting big forwards I’d go after Jani Nyman, Filip Bystedt, or Julian Lutz, guys with some upside.
csick liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Serf
sensibleguy PLDGEY Green4D4Again thoughts?

I think I have some reading to do, lol
Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
Serf
I read most of the first parts, but skipped over a lot of the draft, too volatile to predict.

Goalies

I don’t have an issue with 3 goalies, especially since the best one has concussion issues. Having Gus around as the 3rd goalie doesn’t hurt, imo. If Murray is healthy and feeling fine, he’s as good as anyone in the league on any given night. If his concussion symptoms return, put him on IR and keep going. Make sure Murray is good to go before he starts, and run him as long as he’s able, to the end of this contract. If cap is tight in Murray’s final season, then he needs to step up, or sit on LTIR, and let insurance pay 80% of his salary, I think that’s the going rate.

Forsberg is not a good #1 goalie, and neither is Gus, but Gus could be a solid starter, an average #1 goalie.

Ottawa goalie prospects since 2007
2020 #71 Leevi Merilainen
2019 #37 Mads Sogaard
2018 #157 Kevin Mandolese
2017 #183 Jordan Hollett
2016 #55 Filip Gustavsson (included because his NHL debut was with Ottawa)
2015 #199 Joey Daccord
2013 #78 Marcus Hogberg
2012 #76 Chris Driedger
2012 #166 Francois Brassard
2009 #46 Robin Lehner

Most goalies are drafted in the 3rd round, which are now picks #65-#96, but before 2016, it was picks #61-#90. Goalies considered better than avg, based on draft position;
2009 #46 Robin Lehner
2016 #55 Filip Gustavsson
2019 #37 Mads Sogaard

Gus is fine for now, until Sogaard is ready, and Forsberg should be fine for now, as Gus gets better. Murray just gives that hope of dominating, when the concussion symptoms aren’t there. We’ll see where this trio goes, but these three guys, Murray, Forsberg, and Gustavsson, are holding the spot for Sogaard.

Defence

Chabot - a true #1D
Sanderson - a definite #2D-#3D even never having played an NHL game
Zub a very solid #3D-#4D

Zaitsev - the never complaining workhorse that the farmer relies on to pull the plow, while everyone wants to see the thoroughbred horses pull the plow
Hamonic - just another workhorse
Brannstrom - the thoroughbred that looks like a thoroughbred, acts like a thoroughbred, but doesn’t perform like a thoroughbred
JBD - the workhorse that’s undersized, but gets the job done
Thomson - the wildcard, might be a #2D-#3D, might be a #4D-#5D, we want the former, of course, but he isn’t, yet

I always come back to missing out on Graves last offseason, and now watching Chabot pair with Graves at the WC, it stings worse 😆

This is the season that one or both of Thomson and JBD work their way into the lineup. They don’t need to be there on opening day, but eventually injuries will get them into the lineup.

The team doesn’t need a top4 D unless they think Thomson and or JBD aren’t going to be top4D, since they have Chabot, Sanderson, Zub. They’re not getting anyone better than Chabot or Sanderson. BTW, when I say top4D, I mean playoff team top4D.

Have to go, I’ll do the forwards later
Alfie11 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
I read most of the first parts, but skipped over a lot of the draft, too volatile to predict.

Goalies

I don’t have an issue with 3 goalies, especially since the best one has concussion issues. Having Gus around as the 3rd goalie doesn’t hurt, imo. If Murray is healthy and feeling fine, he’s as good as anyone in the league on any given night. If his concussion symptoms return, put him on IR and keep going. Make sure Murray is good to go before he starts, and run him as long as he’s able, to the end of this contract. If cap is tight in Murray’s final season, then he needs to step up, or sit on LTIR, and let insurance pay 80% of his salary, I think that’s the going rate.

Forsberg is not a good #1 goalie, and neither is Gus, but Gus could be a solid starter, an average #1 goalie.

Ottawa goalie prospects since 2007
2020 #71 Leevi Merilainen
2019 #37 Mads Sogaard
2018 #157 Kevin Mandolese
2017 #183 Jordan Hollett
2016 #55 Filip Gustavsson (included because his NHL debut was with Ottawa)
2015 #199 Joey Daccord
2013 #78 Marcus Hogberg
2012 #76 Chris Driedger
2012 #166 Francois Brassard
2009 #46 Robin Lehner

Most goalies are drafted in the 3rd round, which are now picks #65-#96, but before 2016, it was picks #61-#90. Goalies considered better than avg, based on draft position;
2009 #46 Robin Lehner
2016 #55 Filip Gustavsson
2019 #37 Mads Sogaard

Gus is fine for now, until Sogaard is ready, and Forsberg should be fine for now, as Gus gets better. Murray just gives that hope of dominating, when the concussion symptoms aren’t there. We’ll see where this trio goes, but these three guys, Murray, Forsberg, and Gustavsson, are holding the spot for Sogaard.

Defence

Chabot - a true #1D
Sanderson - a definite #2D-#3D even never having played an NHL game
Zub a very solid #3D-#4D

Zaitsev - the never complaining workhorse that the farmer relies on to pull the plow, while everyone wants to see the thoroughbred horses pull the plow
Hamonic - just another workhorse
Brannstrom - the thoroughbred that looks like a thoroughbred, acts like a thoroughbred, but doesn’t perform like a thoroughbred
JBD - the workhorse that’s undersized, but gets the job done
Thomson - the wildcard, might be a #2D-#3D, might be a #4D-#5D, we want the former, of course, but he isn’t, yet

I always come back to missing out on Graves last offseason, and now watching Chabot pair with Graves at the WC, it stings worse 😆

This is the season that one or both of Thomson and JBD work their way into the lineup. They don’t need to be there on opening day, but eventually injuries will get them into the lineup.

The team doesn’t need a top4 D unless they think Thomson and or JBD aren’t going to be top4D, since they have Chabot, Sanderson, Zub. They’re not getting anyone better than Chabot or Sanderson. BTW, when I say top4D, I mean playoff team top4D.

Have to go, I’ll do the forwards later

That’s pretty much my opinion on the need for a top 4 RD too. It only becomes an issue if both Thomson and JBD unexpectedly flop hard. I will say though, Graves may be an option next offseason. He’s a UFA, and NJD will still have Smith and Siegenthaler, and L. Hughes will turn pro next year as well, so they might let Graves walk. I wouldn’t mind bringing him in, even if (ideally) he’s like our #5 next season, we should be able to afford a 3-4mil 3rd pair guy for a couple years, pay a little extra for quality depth while Sanderson is on his ELC and Thomson/JBD are cheap (plus by the time Sanderson’s ELC is up, hopefully the cap will be going back up again), or in the worst case scenario he can safely handle bigger minutes if Thomson and JBD are still easing in.
sensibleguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll