SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

John Gibson is ELITE

Is John Gibson good?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 13, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.
LosPatos
It’s not uncommon to see that people on here have no idea how good Gibson actual is. He faces a LOT of shots per game and still has great advanced stats. To the eye, he may seem “washed” but his advanced stats are good!

This tweet is focused on Shesterkin but highlights all goalies on here as well.

What’re your opinions!

Jun. 13, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
LosPatos
Thoughts?

@OldNYIFan @Salzy @GeneralLandro

Sorry I don’t know every ducks fan on here!!
Jun. 13, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
me wan da poonani
edit: screwed the comment up, hang on a sec
Jun. 13, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
me wan da poonani
Quoting: AntreDiAnaheim
still has great advanced stats

oh no
LosPatos liked this.
Jun. 13, 2022 at 5:46 p.m.
LosPatos
Quoting: Tintin

oh no

Retain some salary and throw him into a contender and that’s a top 10 goalie again.
DirtyDangle liked this.
Jun. 13, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
He was one of the greatest.

He's still good, but bit of a question mark after a clear drop off in level.

However, I'd say there's about 15 goalies in this league that should be undisputed 1Gs in a team, and I'd say Gibson belongs in there.
LosPatos, AndrewLadd and zk97 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
It’s not uncommon to see that people on here have no idea how good Gibson actual is. He faces a LOT of shots per game and still has great advanced stats. To the eye, he may seem “washed” but his advanced stats are good!

This tweet is focused on Shesterkin but highlights all goalies on here as well.

What’re your opinions!

Thats from 2007 to 2022. His advanced stats in the most recent few seasons have been bad
Jun. 14, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.
LosPatos
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Thats from 2007 to 2022. His advanced stats in the most recent few seasons have been bad

And those happen to be years where ducks haven’t made playoffs and have had poor talented teams
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 4:38 p.m.
And those happen to be years where ducks haven’t made playoffs and have had poor talented teams

Yes but GSAx already accounts for quality of shots against and he is in the negative in each of the most recent 3 years. Plenty of goalies have positive GSAx even when playing for poor teams, I dont think thats a very good excuse
Jun. 14, 2022 at 6:17 p.m.
retired
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Yes but GSAx already accounts for quality of shots against and he is in the negative in each of the most recent 3 years. Plenty of goalies have positive GSAx even when playing for poor teams, I dont think thats a very good excuse

maybe just burnt out playing games that don't matter.
UpsideDownQue, LosPatos and zk97 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2022 at 11:24 p.m.
LosPatos
Quoting: DirtyDangle
maybe just burnt out playing games that don't matter.

That’s exactly what it is.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
Ban Price trades
That’s exactly what it is.

I think the biggest argument people have against acquiring Gibson is that because of his current body of work, he shouldn't cost a premium. Any deal likely stops and starts at a first, a prospect, and equal cap in and out for the acquiring team.

I doubt the Ducks and their fans would be thrilled about that kind of return, but unless there's a team willing to prove us wrong and pay a premium for Gibson, there's a disconnect between what he's worth to the Anaheim faithful and to, say, Leafs and Oilers fans for example.

My personal preference - if I were the Oilers and had to pay a premium - is to any of Hellebyuck, Jarry, and Ullmark over Gibson.
AndrewLadd and aadoyle liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
LosPatos
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I think the biggest argument people have against acquiring Gibson is that because of his current body of work, he shouldn't cost a premium. Any deal likely stops and starts at a first, a prospect, and equal cap in and out for the acquiring team.

I doubt the Ducks and their fans would be thrilled about that kind of return, but unless there's a team willing to prove us wrong and pay a premium for Gibson, there's a disconnect between what he's worth to the Anaheim faithful and to, say, Leafs and Oilers fans for example.

My personal preference - if I were the Oilers and had to pay a premium - is to any of Hellebyuck, Jarry, and Ullmark over Gibson.

Ullmark? He’s not much better than Gibson. Hellebuyck is really the only one of these goalies who topples Gibson.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
Farewell

IDK, Gibson isn't bad, but I wouldn't by any means call him underrated. Just average. Admittedly, he's played behind pylons for D-men the past couple of years, would be interesting to see how he'd do behind a half-decent blue-line. (This JFresh tweet is in response to a question "Which goalie is frequently called underrated despite putting up mediocre numbers?"?

Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Ullmark? He’s not much better than Gibson. Hellebuyck is really the only one of these goalies who topples Gibson.

Ullmark has one of the highest xGSAA/60 over the past three years. Jarry has been one of the best goaltenders year over year since he arrived.

If you want to have a serious discussion, take the Gibson-flavoured blinders off.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

That and its a gamble

Lets say a competitor with a better dcore trades for him and his numbers dont go up or he does not get them over the playoff hump they are stuck in then what.

That team is then stuck with a 6.4mill goalie who isnt solving their issues and what makes it worse is they probably spent good assets to get him making that sour taste even worse.
BeterChiarelli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit