SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Entry Draft Discussion thread

May 6, 2017 at 8:25 p.m.
Go Jackets
Let's hold all discussion related to the entry draft here. Good ideas from here will be considered for implementation into the entry draft.
May 6, 2017 at 8:35 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I'm going to say no to that draftsite. I'd prefer we settled on a professional ranking rather than an amateur one.
You're bound to get some strangely ranked players as well as some echo chamber effect with any of those lists.

Here are NHL Central Scoutings lists http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2017
What we need is all of those lists merged into one.
May 6, 2017 at 8:38 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Sorry to clog up the thread with confusion, but why is it that we need to use a ranking? What do we need it for?
May 6, 2017 at 8:39 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
I'm going to say no to that draftsite. I'd prefer we settled on a professional ranking rather than an amateur one.
You're bound to get some strangely ranked players as well as some echo chamber effect with any of those lists.

Here are NHL Central Scoutings lists http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2017

As long as a Dman is my 1st round pick. I'm fine with using a scouting list. However, drafting each player one by one is better IMO.
DirtyRebound liked this.
May 6, 2017 at 8:42 p.m.
It's for people who miss their selection...to auto select for them and move on
May 6, 2017 at 8:44 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Quoting: Duster

Ok thanks
May 6, 2017 at 8:44 p.m.

Thanks. That makes much more sense.
May 6, 2017 at 8:51 p.m.
Banned
My opinion is that we draft round 1 and then just take whatever the real team selects in that spot for the rest.
nobody liked this.
May 6, 2017 at 8:55 p.m.
Danaultisabike
Quoting: DirtyDangles
My opinion is that we draft round 1 and then just take whatever the real team selects in that spot for the rest.

I want to make my own draft choices for this game.
May 6, 2017 at 8:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: backflip

I want to make my own draft choices for this game.

You can, but only if you make the pick in time.
May 6, 2017 at 9:00 p.m.
Times for picks have to be reasonable.
May 6, 2017 at 9:04 p.m.
Banned
Nobody outside of round 1 is making an NHL team next year so there is no point actually drafting beyond that.
May 6, 2017 at 9:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17
Times for picks have to be reasonable.

I agree. I think we should give GMs at least 3 hours, but that's just me.
May 6, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.
VegasGMV2.LeafsGMV1
Some seem insistent on making selections....for those that don't care I suggest when you complete the selections you want you simply say you'll auto draft the rest...
May 6, 2017 at 9:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jdp
Some seem insistent on making selections....for those that don't care I suggest when you complete the selections you want you simply say you'll auto draft the rest...

The only possible way to actually auto draft is by taking what the actual pick was.
May 6, 2017 at 9:15 p.m.
Edited May 6, 2017 at 9:37 p.m.

The only possible way to actually auto draft is by taking what the actual pick was.

No ...it's by agreeing to the draft ranking list to use ...rather than make your selection everyone refers to who is highest available on the list...Iagree the later rounds are pointless for our purposes.
Jdp liked this.
May 6, 2017 at 9:20 p.m.

No ...it's by agreeing to the draft ranking list to use ...ratjer than make your selection everyone refers a to who is highest available on the list...Iagree the later rounds are pointless for our purposes.

I totally intend on using my 7 6th round picks
nobody liked this.
May 6, 2017 at 9:51 p.m.
Danaultisabike
I acquired late round draft picks, I want to use them. If you want to let another list make your late round picks for you, that's your loss.
May 6, 2017 at 10:28 p.m.
Banned
I acquired late round draft picks, I want to use them. If you want to let another list make your late round picks for you, that's your loss.

Ya because it makes a big difference in this game...rolling eyes
May 6, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.
Go Jackets

Is there anywhere that combines all 4 of NHL central scoutings lists? Cause NHLCS is the best list for sure... but it's not consolidated into one "master list". Anyone know of any better options?

And for everyone concerned about the list and not getting the right guy, like some people already said, it's just to be used for people unable to make the draft pick at the time they want to.

That'd suck for everyone who doesn't have a first rounder. i don;t have a 17 pick until the 3rd, but I'm still really excited to get in on the fun for the draft and finding late round gems. Also, I'd like to see this game pan out for awhile, cause even though it'd be fun to start anew each season... I really like the team I have now, and I'd love to have the chance to test my skills at managing a roster over multiple years. I think there's some ways we can try and see which teams get the best "results" maybe by compiling individual player game scores (an advanced stat used to measure the impact of each player) that way we don't get players leaching off their IRL linemates to pad stats in the game.

I agree that going a full 7 rounds is the most fun, and realistic way to go. If you don't want to do the research, cool you can just go the autodraft route. But if you want to get into it, you can go hardcore and have some fun with it.
May 6, 2017 at 10:35 p.m.
Go Jackets

I'd like to see if this game could continue for awhile... I know it's a longshot, but if we can keep clarity in the rules and maintain interest in the game, I'd really like to tend to this roster I have now and see how it shapes up over time. I'd love to have the challenge of managing a young roster with room to grow, and managing contracts and that stuff.

We could always start a separate new game for those who want to start fresh and with a new groundwork, and I'd be ok with playing two games at once.
May 7, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.
Danaultisabike

The worst GMs don't pay attention to detail.
May 7, 2017 at 2:21 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Worst case scenario, once we find a ranking, we throw all of the names onto a google spreadsheet, in order, and mark the selections as they are made.
That would require work from the people in control of the sheet, so there might be some slight delays, but we have a number of members who are fairly active.
May 7, 2017 at 2:43 p.m.
BreKel
Worst case scenario, once we find a ranking, we throw all of the names onto a google spreadsheet, in order, and mark the selections as they are made.
That would require work from the people in control of the sheet, so there might be some slight delays, but we have a number of members who are fairly active.

Is there an issue with the rankings you posted? Seems pretty good to me. I posted my idea for the draft in a couple threads. Should I repost it here as well?

Nevermind....Realized that it's NA skaters then Euro Skaters.
May 7, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: BreKel

Is there an issue with the rankings you posted? Seems pretty good to me. I posted my idea for the draft in a couple threads. Should I repost it here as well?

Nevermind....Realized that it's NA skaters then Euro Skaters.

Yeah, we need a list that combines them and slides non-NA skaters and goalies in where they would belong.

and yes, if you'd like. better to have everything in one thread.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll