SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Entry Draft Discussion thread

May 9, 2017 at 11:56 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
where is the draft taking place. On one of the forum threads?
May 9, 2017 at 11:57 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ricochetii
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So is the draft date still not decided?

We're getting there. Patience grasshopper.

ok. And is it okay if everyone get's a good amount of time to make their pick? or at least with 1st round pick?
May 9, 2017 at 1:29 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93

If it has to happen that way, yes. I'm trying to come up with alternatives that will be easier/cleaner.

We're getting there. Patience grasshopper.

ok. And is it okay if everyone get's a good amount of time to make their pick? or at least with 1st round pick?

We'll make sure people have a reasonable time/opportunity to make their picks.
May 9, 2017 at 2:32 p.m.
Go Jackets
Set up a spreadsheet for tracking picks if we don't end up with a better option.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yo8xQyv9ueo-D1BRo2y3J0t2hwKU5UqKaSlw2HNT7i0/edit?usp=sharing

Should we have a simple yes/no vote on whether to use this as the ranking list?

Was looking through this and it looks great and ready to use. Only concern/ question I have is with the order of picks in the farthest left column, is that based on the picks everyone currently has or what? Cause Columbus had the 20th or so pick, Edmonton appeared to be around 27 or so. I'm confused whether I'd be picking w/ the Columbus pick (which I traded away) or Edmontons (which I acquired).
May 9, 2017 at 2:54 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: matt59
Set up a spreadsheet for tracking picks if we don't end up with a better option.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yo8xQyv9ueo-D1BRo2y3J0t2hwKU5UqKaSlw2HNT7i0/edit?usp=sharing

Should we have a simple yes/no vote on whether to use this as the ranking list?

Was looking through this and it looks great and ready to use. Only concern/ question I have is with the order of picks in the farthest left column, is that based on the picks everyone currently has or what? Cause Columbus had the 20th or so pick, Edmonton appeared to be around 27 or so. I'm confused whether I'd be picking w/ the Columbus pick (which I traded away) or Edmontons (which I acquired).

That's the current draft order for the real NHL, final changes are dependent on the playoffs.
If we gather the picks from every team here that they currently hold, we'll be able to modify that accordingly.
May 9, 2017 at 3:32 p.m.
Go Jackets

That's the current draft order for the real NHL, final changes are dependent on the playoffs.
If we gather the picks from every team here that they currently hold, we'll be able to modify that accordingly.

Ok cool. Have we come to a decision yet on how we're doing the time procedure? 1 hour for each pick or a half hour? And just to be certain, the list in the spreadsheet is the "Uniform draft order" we'll use for people who want autopick or don't make one themselves?
May 9, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Ok cool. Have we come to a decision yet on how we're doing the time procedure? 1 hour for each pick or a half hour? And just to be certain, the list in the spreadsheet is the "Uniform draft order" we'll use for people who want autopick or don't make one themselves?

We haven't set timing yet. I'm still considering personally, while I'm working on it.
The players are in rank according to the mock draft list though.
May 9, 2017 at 7:09 p.m.
Go Jackets

We haven't set timing yet. I'm still considering personally, while I'm working on it.
The players are in rank according to the mock draft list though.

Ok sounds good. Will we continue debate on the draft format/ timing/ schedule of picks or is that something you want to work on yourself then propose?
May 9, 2017 at 7:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93

If it has to happen that way, yes. I'm trying to come up with alternatives that will be easier/cleaner.

We'll make sure people have a reasonable time/opportunity to make their picks.

ok thanks!
May 12, 2017 at 12:06 a.m.
Go Jackets
Ok so more than half of the GMs have voted in the poll set up regarding time for each pick and the uniform draft list. Everyone seems to be in support of the uniform draft list given so that will be a part of the final draft plans.

However, the timing we may have a new idea for. Rangersfan and JDP both supported a scaled time system where first round picks get a certain block of time, but for each round, that decreases such that each round goes by faster and faster. What I'm thinking is maybe we go two to three hours for the first round per pick. The second round would decrease to about 1-1.5 hours per pick. Third round 45 mins to an hour, then the 4th through 7th rounds can all be 30 mins to expedite the process. That's just my initial idea for time, if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know and in more than willing to accept criticism on this smile
May 12, 2017 at 1:32 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Ok so more than half of the GMs have voted in the poll set up regarding time for each pick and the uniform draft list. Everyone seems to be in support of the uniform draft list given so that will be a part of the final draft plans.

However, the timing we may have a new idea for. Rangersfan and JDP both supported a scaled time system where first round picks get a certain block of time, but for each round, that decreases such that each round goes by faster and faster. What I'm thinking is maybe we go two to three hours for the first round per pick. The second round would decrease to about 1-1.5 hours per pick. Third round 45 mins to an hour, then the 4th through 7th rounds can all be 30 mins to expedite the process. That's just my initial idea for time, if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know and in more than willing to accept criticism on this smile

Looks good to me, but maybe 3.5 or 4 hours for the 1st round, but i don't really care that much.
matt59 liked this.
May 12, 2017 at 1:35 a.m.

Maybe we should have a poll on this? But most people would most likely agree anyways I would think...I do like the idea myself
matt59 liked this.
May 12, 2017 at 4:35 a.m.
Go Habs Go

12-8 for 1.5 hours, 8 GM's in favor of longer than 1.5 hours (which we could extrapolate to 12ish). Which is significant enough to justify 3 hours.
We were voting to see what time GM's preferred, not to see which would win anyway.

3 hours 1st round
1.5 hours 2nd and 3rd round
30-60 minutes rounds 4-7

Is a possibility. It makes sense and might be practical, as most trading would be in the 1st round I would imagine.
I'll look at scheduling options later today and see what could work.
May 12, 2017 at 9:47 a.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: DavidBooth7

Maybe we should have a poll on this? But most people would most likely agree anyways I would think...I do like the idea myself

I'll start a poll for the scaled time idea soon here.
May 12, 2017 at 9:49 a.m.
Go Jackets

12-8 for 1.5 hours, 8 GM's in favor of longer than 1.5 hours (which we could extrapolate to 12ish). Which is significant enough to justify 3 hours.
We were voting to see what time GM's preferred, not to see which would win anyway.

3 hours 1st round
30-60 minutes rounds 4-7

Is a possibility. It makes sense and might be practical, as most trading would be in the 1st round I would imagine.

Start a poll regarding the scaled time blocks?
Propose:
3 hours round one
1.5 hours round two
1 hour round three
45 mins round four
30 mins rounds five through seven

Is that good enough to be put to a poll?
May 12, 2017 at 9:50 a.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan

3 hours 1st round
30-60 minutes rounds 4-7

Propose:
3 hours round one
1.5 hours round two
1 hour round three
45 mins round four

Sounds good to me.
May 12, 2017 at 9:51 a.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: Zach

Propose:
3 hours round one
1.5 hours round two
1 hour round three
45 mins round four

Sounds good to me.

Ok sweet
May 12, 2017 at 11:20 a.m.
Go Jackets
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/61025
New poll for scaled time frame regarding the draft. Will be posted in important thread too.
May 13, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.
Go Habs Go
I added a tentative schedule for rounds 2/3 to the spreadsheet so you can see what it looks like.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VASKmFtGKo5QS5-dcsr3UmKz1ext1TtBeQcSr1_6ghA/edit?usp=sharing
(Click the tab at the bottom to switch between rounds)

This will end up being a 3 week process. These would be the schedules for the first 3 rounds, and then we can condense the last 4 rounds into a single, third week.

Also, to help with the early morning Pacific picks, once the last pick for a day is made, the first team for the next day may post their pick.
That way nobody has to pick really early in the morning, as they can pick the night before instead.
Basically the first pick of the next day gets all of the off hours to make their pick.

Sound good for Pacific folk?
May 13, 2017 at 11:48 a.m.
I added a tentative schedule for rounds 2/3 to the spreadsheet so you can see what it looks like.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VASKmFtGKo5QS5-dcsr3UmKz1ext1TtBeQcSr1_6ghA/edit?usp=sharing
(Click the tab at the bottom to switch between rounds)

This will end up being a 3 week process. These would be the schedules for the first 3 rounds, and then we can condense the last 4 rounds into a single, third week.

Also, to help with the early morning Pacific picks, once the last pick for a day is made, the first team for the next day may post their pick.
That way nobody has to pick really early in the morning, as they can pick the night before instead.
Basically the first pick of the next day gets all of the off hours to make their pick.

Sound good for Pacific folk?

This looks good. I like it
May 13, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.
has anyone proposed the idea that we have everyone go into a google doc to make their selections? it could be hard to track but I guess we can do it on an honor system. we can have them then submit their pick into a thread so nobody can cheat and re-pick.
May 13, 2017 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
has anyone proposed the idea that we have everyone go into a google doc to make their selections? it could be hard to track but I guess we can do it on an honor system. we can have them then submit their pick into a thread so nobody can cheat and re-pick.

you can also track who types what on a google doc so we could know very easily who cheated
May 13, 2017 at 12:32 p.m.
Quoting: l9guysports

you can also track who types what on a google doc so we could know very easily who cheated

right. I think that having a Google Doc is the most efficient way to track the Entry Draft
May 13, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: l9guysports

Wouldn't it be better to have everyone submit their selection on an official draft pick thread, with one person (a BOG member) adding the pick to a google doc just so everyone can see who has been picked
ricochetii liked this.
May 13, 2017 at 12:39 p.m.
deleted

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll