Forums/Armchair-GM

NJD attempt

Created by: villenash
Team: 2022-23 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2022
Published: Jun. 15, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
another option could be trading Severson to WPG for picks and then OS-ing for Liljegren
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
7$6,750,000
3$3,000,000
3$3,250,000
1$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,000,000
3$4,000,000
Trades
NJD
  1. 2023 5th round pick (ARI)
NJD
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (MIN)
NJD
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Tatar, Tomas ($2,250,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Walker, Sean
  2. 2023 4th round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$79,518,333$0$1,732,500$2,981,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 8
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,750,000$6,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
C
RFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,650,000$2,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,825,000$1,825,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 15, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
MN declines, no money
Jun. 15, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
I like that for the Avs. Good possession player on a cheap 1 year deal
villenash and Devil liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Would New Jersey want Puljujarvi for Blackwood? You get a cheaper top 9 forward, we get a struggling goalie that I believe can bounce back in Edmonton and become a starter again. Just thinking of teams we can trade Puljujarvi to, just incase he gets traded. I personally would like a goalie for him, and Blackwood would be a great target! I’ve always liked Blackwood, and I have wanted him for years. I believe if Edmonton gets a good shutdown guy like Braun, Mayfield, Pysyk, or Gudas that defence could be very good.
Devil liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: IcemanJoe
MN declines, no money

Fair enough -- I thought he'd just be a cheaper option for the top 9 that can play center or wing. Not sure what he signs at, but I don't see it really being north of $3m. But if that's too much, they I'm sure another team would take Zacha at that price.

Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Would New Jersey want Puljujarvi for Blackwood? You get a cheaper top 9 forward, we get a struggling goalie that I believe can bounce back in Edmonton and become a starter again. Just thinking of teams we can trade Puljujarvi to, just incase he gets traded. I personally would like a goalie for him, and Blackwood would be a great target! I’ve always liked Blackwood, and I have wanted him for years. I believe if Edmonton gets a good shutdown guy like Braun, Mayfield, Pysyk, or Gudas that defence could be very good.

I probably don't have the insight to answer this question (NSH fan), but I'll do my best. It does feel like NJD aren't as confident in Blackwood after some disappointing recent play, but I'm not sure they move him this off-season. I think a Husso-Blackwood 1a/1b would be a good tandem for NJD. And if he bounces back, he should have more value in a trade or can be re-signed. Puljujarvi is an interesting option though-- and if Bernier is healthy, maybe they are more likely to move on from Blackwood now instead of carrying 3 goalies. I agree that he would be a good, cheap option for EDM-- hopefully he would bounce back.
Nhl_oilers and Devil liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.

I think Fitz would do it if the Devils are able to get a guy like Vanecek or Samsonov from Wash.

Hard to tell from a fan's perspective on how bad the falling-out between him and Fitz actually was. But I also think Blackwood can rebound, couldn't care less about how he played last year, as he didn't play a single healthy game.
villenash, Nhl_oilers, Devil and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
Thanks for doing a Devils ACGM, @villenash

I think the trades look reasonable.
The contracts alright...but maybe a little tweaking for a couple.

On the lines. I'd move Mercer to 1RW, Boqvist to 3C and Holtz to 3LW

Good stuff.
villenash, Devil and Tintin liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
I probably don't have the insight to answer this question (NSH fan), but I'll do my best. It does feel like NJD aren't as confident in Blackwood after some disappointing recent play, but I'm not sure they move him this off-season. I think a Husso-Blackwood 1a/1b would be a good tandem for NJD. And if he bounces back, he should have more value in a trade or can be re-signed. Puljujarvi is an interesting option though-- and if Bernier is healthy, maybe they are more likely to move on from Blackwood now instead of carrying 3 goalies. I agree that he would be a good, cheap option for EDM-- hopefully he would bounce back.

Quoting: MellowK
I think Fitz would do it if the Devils are able to get a guy like Vanecek or Samsonov from Wash.

Hard to tell from a fan's perspective on how bad the falling-out between him and Fitz actually was. But I also think Blackwood can rebound, couldn't care less about how he played last year, as he didn't play a single healthy game.

Thank you both for your comments! I completely agree. Blackwood just has so much potential, and I love the fit with Edmonton. Gets a good defensive defence man, and he would be very good. If New Jersey keeps him, I understand, and I think we need to give him another year to see what he is made of. If you guys got Vanecek, or Samsonov, I would love it if they did a Puljujarvi for Blackwood trade! I wonder if the players are not confident with him being the goalie. That can be an issue as well. Everyone should trust him more, and I agree I think he will be a good goalie as of next year!
villenash liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.

I don't think they would this summer. I believe the plan is to get another goalie to compete with Blackwood, not to replace him.

I believe a big problem with Blackwood has been giving him the job without him really earning it. The entitlement to #1 role. He came into this season unprepared. Didn't get himself healthy and ready to play, and when he did, he played hurt for a while without telling staff. During that time, they had to put Wedgewood on waivers and lost him. Once Blackwood spoke up, it was too late and it compounded our goalie situation into a worse one as we had to go out and replace him and Wedgewood. This is likely why our GM was so upset with him. It is also a reason Blackwood fired his agent. Sounds like all sides have smoothed things over, but we shall see.

That said, Puljujarvi would likely be a guy Devils would have interest in.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Thanks for doing a Devils ACGM, villenash

I think the trades look reasonable.
The contracts alright...but maybe a little tweaking for a couple.

On the lines. I'd move Mercer to 1RW, Boqvist to 3C and Holtz to 3LW

Good stuff.

Yeah, I looked up the lines they were using at the end of the season on dailyfaceoff.com, and it had Holtz 1RW, Mercer 2C, and Boqvist 3C-- so I just tried to move as few players as possible, so just shifting Boqvist to LW.

I also toyed with the idea of trading Severson to WPG for a 1st + 3rd or something and then sending an OS for Liljegren-- what are your thoughts on that?
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I don't think they would this summer. I believe the plan is to get another goalie to compete with Blackwood, not to replace him.

I believe a big problem with Blackwood has been giving him the job without him really earning it. The entitlement to #1 role. He came into this season unprepared. Didn't get himself healthy and ready to play, and when he did, he played hurt for a while without telling staff. During that time, they had to put Wedgewood on waivers and lost him. Once Blackwood spoke up, it was too late and it compounded our goalie situation into a worse one as we had to go out and replace him and Wedgewood. This is likely why our GM was so upset with him. It is also a reason Blackwood fired his agent. Sounds like all sides have smoothed things over, but we shall see.

That said, Puljujarvi would likely be a guy Devils would have interest in.

Thank you. I didn’t know about what happened with the GM, and Blackwood. I completely understand if they don’t trade Blackwood, maybe it’s just a little bit of wishful thinking… next season, he will be better I bet. I was thinking you would get a veteran and play Daws in the NHL. Do you think they call Daws up?
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Fair enough -- I thought he'd just be a cheaper option for the top 9 that can play center or wing. Not sure what he signs at, but I don't see it really being north of $3m. But if that's too much, they I'm sure another team would take Zacha at that price.

Yeah we’re looking for ELC contracts, we’ve got cheap top 9 options. Our 3 line is set, GREEF, and out top 6 is fairly set as well. Zuc, Kaprisov, Hartman L1, Boldy, Rossi, Freddie L2. One could argue Freddie shouldn’t be in the top 6 at wing but Evason loves him. He refused to put him on L4, even when he deserved it. Feels like if they’re going to add in the top 6, it’s gonna have to be for someone more highly regarded than Zacha. That’s just me trying to think like BG. Me personally, I wouldn’t mind taking a shot on Zacha and kicking Freddie and/or Hartman to L4 duties.
villenash liked this.
Jun. 15, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Yeah, I looked up the lines they were using at the end of the season on dailyfaceoff.com, and it had Holtz 1RW, Mercer 2C, and Boqvist 3C-- so I just tried to move as few players as possible, so just shifting Boqvist to LW.

I also toyed with the idea of trading Severson to WPG for a 1st + 3rd or something and then sending an OS for Liljegren-- what are your thoughts on that?

I believe the conventional wisdom around NJ is that Severson gets extended pretty quickly here (final year next season, so can re-sign this summer). By all reports, Severson wants to stay, NJD wants him back. Some have even noted that he doesn't want big $$, just term.

I am guessing he re-ups for maybe a Faulk-sized deal...7 x $6.5m...give or take.

If, for whatever reason, that falls through. Then I definitely think Winnipeg would be good spot for him.
villenash and Wpgman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll