Will Florida Panthers Locate
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 6, 2017 at 11:53 p.m.
Banned
Florida Panthers Relocation Options
May 7, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quite possibly i think, as Florida's really not much of a hockey place.
May 7, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Nashville, and Tampa Bay aren't really "hockey places" either, to the eyes of most hockey fans up north, but you don't see people clamoring for those teams to relocate, no?
May 7, 2017 at 12:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Nashville, and Tampa Bay aren't really "hockey places" either, to the eyes of most hockey fans up north, but you don't see people clamoring for those teams to relocate, no?

But i've actually been hearing that the Panthers might move.
May 7, 2017 at 1:04 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

Are the sources that you're getting that information from credible? People can make up anything on the Internet.

(This is not to say that there's a 0% chance that the Panthers might relocate. Ownership's a bit of a mess right now, and Bettman kept saying that the Thrashers wouldn't relocate, up until they did, and ownership was a disaster there. I do think Bettman's committed to the Sun Belt, though, and not without reason; when you see players like Auston Matthews and Jakob Chychrun coming out of the Sun Belt, it stands to reason that they're still markets worth having a foothold in.)
May 7, 2017 at 1:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Are the sources that you're getting that information from credible? People can make up anything on the Internet.

(This is not to say that there's a 0% chance that the Panthers might relocate. Ownership's a bit of a mess right now, and Bettman kept saying that the Thrashers wouldn't relocate, up until they did, and ownership was a disaster there. I do think Bettman's committed to the Sun Belt, though, and not without reason; when you see players like Auston Matthews and Jakob Chychrun coming out of the Sun Belt, it stands to reason that they're still markets worth having a foothold in.)

But look, there's almost nobody at all who cares about hockey in Florida. Here's my top 5 for most likely to move to another city/state:
1 - Yotes
2 - Isles
3 - Canes
4 - Cats
5 - Flames
Redwingsfan_24 liked this.
May 7, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

But look, there's almost nobody at all who cares about hockey in Florida. Here's my top 5 for most likely to move to another city/state:
1 - Yotes
2 - Isles
3 - Canes
4 - Cats
5 - Flames
...That didn't answer my question. You said you'd heard that the Panthers might actually move but didn't give a source for that information when asked.

- The Coyotes aren't going anywhere. Auston Matthews has entirely validated Bettman's efforts to keep the Coyotes in Arizona for all of these years. A market that can produce a generational talent is definitely worth staying in. And the team, as a whole, is on the up and up, should John Chayka play his cards right.
- The Islanders' arena situation is, indeed, a hairy one. I doubt they're leaving the Tri-State Area, though. (insert snide remark about the Islanders moving to Hartford here)
- Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with Peter Karmanos and his ownership of the Hurricanes. They do have a lot of young players there, though, and they could maybe be the Maple Leafs-lite next year, in terms of being a up-tempo, high-offense team with loads of young players (although the Metro's a tough division right now). If they can do that, winning ultimately puts butts in seats, and ticket sales should be just fine. If they're not, and Karmanos still doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing, *then* you start asking questions.
- Sunrise really isn't the greatest location if the Panthers are attempting to convince people to drive out that far to go to games, and ownership's made some pretty puzzling moves this year. But, if the market can generate players like Jakob Chychrun that are top-tier talent, then it's worthwhile to maintain a presence in the market. And they're still in the position that the Hurricanes are: a team with a core of young players in their prime, and they're in a better position to succeed, what with the Atlantic Division looking like a trash heap as of now. They need to establish a track record of winning games and making the playoffs consistently, and then I think people will be attracted.
- The hubbub surrounding the Flames is, in my opinion, bluster to try and get a new arena deal.
May 7, 2017 at 1:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

1 - Yotes
2 - Isles
3 - Canes
4 - Cats
5 - Flames
...That didn't answer my question. You said you'd heard that the Panthers might actually move but didn't give a source for that information when asked.

- The Coyotes aren't going anywhere. Auston Matthews has entirely validated Bettman's efforts to keep the Coyotes in Arizona for all of these years. A market that can produce a generational talent is definitely worth staying in. And the team, as a whole, is on the up and up, should John Chayka play his cards right.
- The Islanders' arena situation is, indeed, a hairy one. I doubt they're leaving the Tri-State Area, though. (insert snide remark about the Islanders moving to Hartford here)
- Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with Peter Karmanos and his ownership of the Hurricanes. They do have a lot of young players there, though, and they could maybe be the Maple Leafs-lite next year, in terms of being a up-tempo, high-offense team with loads of young players (although the Metro's a tough division right now). If they can do that, winning ultimately puts butts in seats, and ticket sales should be just fine. If they're not, and Karmanos still doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing, *then* you start asking questions.
- Sunrise really isn't the greatest location if the Panthers are attempting to convince people to drive out that far to go to games, and ownership's made some pretty puzzling moves this year. But, if the market can generate players like Jakob Chychrun that are top-tier talent, then it's worthwhile to maintain a presence in the market. And they're still in the position that the Hurricanes are: a team with a core of young players in their prime, and they're in a better position to succeed, what with the Atlantic Division looking like a trash heap as of now. They need to establish a track record of winning games and making the playoffs consistently, and then I think people will be attracted.
- The hubbub surrounding the Flames is, in my opinion, bluster to try and get a new arena deal.

I don't even know where, but in a few places a while ago i've been seeing things about the Panthers maybe moving, but can't remember where.

Here's one place: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/professional-franchises-relocation-article-1.2758177
May 7, 2017 at 2:24 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

I don't even know where, but in a few places a while ago i've been seeing things about the Panthers maybe moving, but can't remember where.

Here's one place: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/professional-franchises-relocation-article-1.2758177
The NY Daily News article makes its argument based on 2 things:
a) low attendance numbers
b) "not seeming like a hockey market"

Argument a) is definitely a concern, but when the Senators don't sell out their playoff games, the media rushes to make excuses about "government employees not being paid" this and "low season ticket sales" that. If Ottawa gets to make excuses about low attendance, every other team with attendance issues should, as well.

Argument b) is made fairly often, but the idea with having hockey in these Sun Belt markets to pick up new fans and expand the sport as a whole. Moving a team to Québec City doesn't produce any new ticket sales; they're all going to come from Nordiques fans who have been going to Canadiens games ever since. They also left Québec City because the Canadian dollar was weak at the time, and it still is today. Seattle could have a new arena in the next few years (maybe), but *expansion* generates the most amount of money and new fans, not relocation. If the NHL's ever going to try and compete with the other Big Three sports, they need to have a footprint across the US; otherwise, it's just going to be marginalized as a regional sport. Fans who call for relocation ultimately don't get to complain when the sport still takes a backseat to football, basketball, and baseball.
May 7, 2017 at 3:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Argument a) is definitely a concern, but when the Senators don't sell out their playoff games, the media rushes to make excuses about "government employees not being paid" this and "low season ticket sales" that. If Ottawa gets to make excuses about low attendance, every other team with attendance issues should, as well.

Argument b) is made fairly often, but the idea with having hockey in these Sun Belt markets to pick up new fans and expand the sport as a whole. Moving a team to Québec City doesn't produce any new ticket sales; they're all going to come from Nordiques fans who have been going to Canadiens games ever since. They also left Québec City because the Canadian dollar was weak at the time, and it still is today. Seattle could have a new arena in the next few years (maybe), but *expansion* generates the most amount of money and new fans, not relocation. If the NHL's ever going to try and compete with the other Big Three sports, they need to have a footprint across the US; otherwise, it's just going to be marginalized as a regional sport. Fans who call for relocation ultimately don't get to complain when the sport still takes a backseat to football, basketball, and baseball.

I don't know where they'd move if they do. Not saying i think they will, but i'm just saying they could. That's why i voted for maybe. And if it's anything to do with the team not being very good, well that's nothing to do with it. Not sure i understand this post you made but are you saying that it could be because they aren't very good? Because 1st of all: they aren't good now, but like every non playoff team right now, they will make it SOMETIME. And 2nd of all, if a team's not very good, moving doesn't help, as you still have the same players and everything.
May 7, 2017 at 4:16 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

I don't know where they'd move if they do. Not saying i think they will, but i'm just saying they could. That's why i voted for maybe. And if it's anything to do with the team not being very good, well that's nothing to do with it. Not sure i understand this post you made but are you saying that it could be because they aren't very good? Because 1st of all: they aren't good now, but like every non playoff team right now, they will make it SOMETIME. And 2nd of all, if a team's not very good, moving doesn't help, as you still have the same players and everything.
"Winning (and also the semblance of a well-run organization) puts butts in seats" was my main point there. People only have so much money to invest in their daily lives, and they're not going to invest it in a team that's not good. When people talk about "oh, well, Team X doesn't have good attendance numbers and should be relocated," most of them are expansion Sun Belt teams that have been comically mismanaged and have terrible ownership, and they can't attract free agents as a result because of the uncertainty over ownership. When you combine that with terrible drafting and an inability to retain home-grown talent (see: every good player that got drafted by the Panthers and inevitably left for various reasons), you get a crappy team that no one wants to watch.
The argument of "Market X doesn't seem like a hockey market" is not a very good argument for moving most of these teams. It's not an inherent quality of the market, it's the market not caring about a crappy team that's poorly managed. Tampa and Miami are in the same general area, but no one's clamoring for the Lightning to relocate because Steve Yzerman is a capable GM and Jeff Vinik is a competent owner. If you give the Panthers the same quality of management, they'll turn it around pretty quickly.
May 7, 2017 at 5:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

"Winning (and also the semblance of a well-run organization) puts butts in seats" was my main point there. People only have so much money to invest in their daily lives, and they're not going to invest it in a team that's not good. When people talk about "oh, well, Team X doesn't have good attendance numbers and should be relocated," most of them are expansion Sun Belt teams that have been comically mismanaged and have terrible ownership, and they can't attract free agents as a result because of the uncertainty over ownership. When you combine that with terrible drafting and an inability to retain home-grown talent (see: every good player that got drafted by the Panthers and inevitably left for various reasons), you get a crappy team that no one wants to watch.
The argument of "Market X doesn't seem like a hockey market" is not a very good argument for moving most of these teams. It's not an inherent quality of the market, it's the market not caring about a crappy team that's poorly managed. Tampa and Miami are in the same general area, but no one's clamoring for the Lightning to relocate because Steve Yzerman is a capable GM and Jeff Vinik is a competent owner. If you give the Panthers the same quality of management, they'll turn it around pretty quickly.

Oh, ok. Fair enough.
May 10, 2017 at 11:13 p.m.
Keep the Panthers! Keep the Florida rivalry!
Jun. 5, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.

It says SHOULD not WILL. It's an opinionated piece not a fact one
Jun. 17, 2017 at 5:39 a.m.
The Panthers should move. The move should be to a better location in the Miami area. Their arena is in an awful spot in Sunrise.
Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: wabit
The Panthers should move. The move should be to a better location in the Miami area. Their arena is in an awful spot in Sunrise.
Can't disagree with that. Location's terrible; the BB&T Center is almost out in the Everglades.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit