Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/VGK) - Weber for Dadonov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:13 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: DongLord23
A guy with negative value while helping Vegas with their cap issues. Not even a pick in return. A guy that you're hoping can get you a pick at the deadline. A guy that also has a NTC.

I really don't know how Vegas keeps doing it. Taking advantage of sucker GMs.

Why does Dadonov have (-) value? It's clear you're trolling and likely going to end up on my block list because of how ignorant you are.

Just another guy who will be gone in 6 months because he's too embarrassed to come back to this site.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:15 p.m.
WentWughes
It is about getting a pick back lmao. You just helped out Vegas for free in that scenario. That's why you don't base a trade off how much you hypothetically get if you flipped a guy at the TDL. Sabres last year did a similar thing with Will Butcher. They weren't able to flip him because he sucked. They at least got a 5th round pick back so they didn't get nothing. If that happens with Dadonov or he gets hurt you get nothing. It's really not that hard to understand.

I'm impressed with how bad your example was.

And got back a 40 PT player. You're missing that point entirely.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:16 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Pretty much a win/win trade here.

Stone is expected to start the season injured. Meaning, Vegas is already going to have LTIR contracts activated. Adding another doesn't change anything in the short term. They are ahead a 2nd round pick asset wise compared to the deal that got vetoed at the deadline. They can always attach a 2nd to Weber next summer when he only has 2 years of term remaining, and the rebuilding team du jeur (did I get that French right?) will take him off their hands.

Montreal avoids LTIR for the next 3 seasons. LTIR is a hassle for most teams, and a huge competitive disadvantage. Dadonov also could get them a pick or a prospect at some point in the season. He has improved his play, and is a pending UFA, which makes him a lot more marketable as a trade piece since a team can simply walk away from him at the end of the season if doesn't play well. When the Senators were shopping him last season, he still had 2 years remaining after coming off a disappointing contract, and people speculating that he was a product of Barkov.
KSIxSKULLS and weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:18 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Why does Dadonov have (-) value? It's clear you're trolling and likely going to end up on my block list because of how ignorant you are.

Just another guy who will be gone in 6 months because he's too embarrassed to come back to this site.

He has negative value because of his cap hit and up and down play.

You can pretty much put that together by the fact that he was dumped in this kind of cap based arrangement.

He will have value with retained salary, or at the deadline as a rental because the dynamic changes. I'm sure Montreal would prefer to dump Weber for future a 2-way contract or future considerations than to get Dadonov.

It's still a great trade for Montreal to get out of that Weber LTIR contract, even if they get nothing from Dadonov.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: budgeteam
He has negative value because of his cap hit and up and down play.

You can pretty much put that together by the fact that he was dumped in this kind of cap based arrangement.

He will have value with retained salary, or at the deadline as a rental because the dynamic changes. I'm sure Montreal would prefer to dump Weber for future a 2-way contract or future considerations than to get Dadonov.

It's still a great trade for Montreal to get out of that Weber LTIR contract, even if they get nothing from Dadonov.

He was dumped because it's the Knights. Are you going to argue with me that the Reigning Vezina winner was dumped because his contract was bad? Knights are known for underselling their players. They dumped Dad because it was a last minute thing (literally) and were desperate.
jpsnow13 and weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Western Champs
So Dadonov blocks the Anaheim trade because of state taxes to end up in Montreal 😄 He's probably getting flipped before the beginning of the season
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
A guy with negative value while helping Vegas with their cap issues. Not even a pick in return. A guy that you're hoping can get you a pick at the deadline. A guy that also has a NTC.

I really don't know how Vegas keeps doing it. Taking advantage of sucker GMs.

How about KH and JG (sucker GMs? :P ) are trading SW contract to have more cap space to give real money to Caufield next year?

If Dadonov plays well you get a decent return at the TDL. IF not, you made ~32M over the next four years.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
Western Champs
Quoting: mondo
mccrimmon woke up this morning and decided he never wants to accure cap space ever again

Finally a Leafs fan who gets it
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte
So Dadonov blocks the Anaheim trade because of state taxes to end up in Montreal 😄 He's probably getting flipped before the beginning of the season

His NTC was submitted before the Ottawa trade so it was likely because Anaheim wasn't contenders at the time and MTL was
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
the great one
This tells me Weber will never play again
Jun. 16, 2022 at 7:41 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Rightwing513
This tells me Weber will never play again

That was official like a year ago lol
weirfanno1 and Rightwing513 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:33 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
He was dumped because it's the Knights. Are you going to argue with me that the Reigning Vezina winner was dumped because his contract was bad? Knights are known for underselling their players. They dumped Dad because it was a last minute thing (literally) and were desperate.

So you're suggesting Dadonov is worth something, but they took a negative value LTIR contract instead of assets, for what reason?

Ditto for at the deadline, when they had to pay to move him, and take negative value contracts on top of that.

What am I missing?
DongLord23 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:35 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
His NTC was submitted before the Ottawa trade so it was likely because Anaheim wasn't contenders at the time and MTL was

He had a 10 team NTC. His list was likely all the Canadian teams, California teams, and the New York teams. Those are the teams that end up on most lists because they have the worst tax situations. The reason Montreal wasn't on it might have been because they are in the same division as Ottawa. His agent likely felt that the odds of Ottawa trading him to Montreal was unlikely because they are in the same division. It bought him an extra spot by proxy.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:42 p.m.
WentWughes
So you're suggesting Dadonov is worth something, but they took a negative value LTIR contract instead of assets, for what reason?

Ditto for at the deadline, when they had to pay to move him, and take negative value contracts on top of that.

What am I missing?

Because to Vegas, that LTIR has value to them while Dadonov does not. To Montreal, Dadonov has value to them, while that LTIR space does not. It works for both teams.

They paid to move him because they were desperate to relieve cap in order to take Eichel off of LTIR. Anaheim was stealing a trade, but Dadonov blocked it.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
WentWughes
He had a 10 team NTC. His list was likely all the Canadian teams, California teams, and the New York teams. Those are the teams that end up on most lists because they have the worst tax situations. The reason Montreal wasn't on it might have been because they are in the same division as Ottawa. His agent likely felt that the odds of Ottawa trading him to Montreal was unlikely because they are in the same division. It bought him an extra spot by proxy.

His list was made before he was even traded to Vegas, I'm ASSUMING it was the 10 worst teams in the league (which Montreal wasn't on at that time). Not sure why Anaheim would be on it and not Montreal.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
WentWughes
Because to Vegas, that LTIR has value to them while Dadonov does not. To Montreal, Dadonov has value to them, while that LTIR space does not. It works for both teams.

They paid to move him because they were desperate to relieve cap in order to take Eichel off of LTIR. Anaheim was stealing a trade, but Dadonov blocked it.

This is similar to when they traded Fleury + Schmidt. They dumped them because they wanted Pietrangelo. Both players had more value than that, but Vegas was getting better even though they lost both trades. It works in this situation too.

Vegas gets better even though they lose the trade. Montreal gets better by getting a decent player while offloading something that doesn't benefit them (hurts them really). Very similar situation
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.

If he had positive value why didn't they just trade him for picks?
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Remember that LTIR doesn't count on day 1 of the regular season so yes Vegas gets cap relief but will need to comply on day 1 for the next 4 years. Short term solution from Vegas as always so we'll see how this one works out.

Montreal gets much needed cap space and a guy they'll likely showcase all year to take at TDL. Worked out well for Chiarot so I'm all in on this one.

The above is inaccurate and incorrect.

To clear up a common misconception:

A team does NOT need to be below the upper limit to start the season on LTIR.

They can use the LTIR training-camp equation on the day prior to season start and place players on LTIR while already above the limit.

https://t.co/HJNDm7O3Sm
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: ElectroMan
If he had positive value why didn't they just trade him for picks?

1. Teams knew the situation Vegas was in and didn't really want to help them
2. It was last minute
3. He wasn't ever listed as trade bait so I don't think Vegas was shopping him (IE last minute trading him)

"If Fleury had positive value why was he dumped" It's all on the situation my dude
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
exo2769
My curiosity is whether McCrimmon will or will not force a retirement vs LTIR in 2 years.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
1. Teams knew the situation Vegas was in and didn't really want to help them
2. It was last minute
3. He wasn't ever listed as trade bait so I don't think Vegas was shopping him (IE last minute trading him)

"If Fleury had positive value why was he dumped" It's all on the situation my dude

Or he doesn't actually have positive value so they traded him for a LTIR contract instead of trading him for a mid round pick. Trading him for a pick is way more preferable than taking on a LTIR contract for a few years. That seems way more plausible than "it was last minute or teams didn't want to help" lol.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: ElectroMan
Or he doesn't actually have positive value so they traded him for a LTIR contract instead of trading him for a mid round pick. Trading him for a pick is way more preferable than taking on a LTIR contract for a few years. That seems way more plausible than "it was last minute or teams didn't want to help" lol.

They traded him for an LTIR contract because that has a lot of value for Vegas, it's not just a dead contract to them.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Your logic is so bad lol.

You are basing the entire trade off a HYPOTHETICAL flip at the TDL

You are getting upset that I pointed out it doesn't always work that way. A lot of things can go wrong. Dadonov could get hurt or he plays bad. The guy is 33 it's not some crazy unlikely possibility that he declines or gets hurt.

That's why you get a pick WITH the return. It's not that hard to understand.

So your silence means you woulnt trade a pick for Crosby and can't find one serious injury to Dadonov...LOL

But, but, why trade for a pick when the prospect drafted could get a career ending injury?!? WhAt ThEn?!?
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
Edited Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:34 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
So your silence means you woulnt trade a pick for Crosby and can't find one serious injury to Dadonov...LOL

But, but, why trade for a pick when the prospect drafted could get a career ending injury?!? WhAt ThEn?!?

It's fairly easy to understand but for some reason you just don't get it.

Crosby doesn't have negative value. Dadonov does. Obviously. Dadonov didn't even get a pick back you don't make any sense.

Your whole trade hinges on a future hypothetical TDL flip. Like the Sabres when they got Will Butcher and thought they'd be able to flip him. Guess what? He didn't play good and got hurt. They weren't able to flip him at the TDL. AT LEAST they got a 5th round pick for taking the contract so it worked out.

Habs are not getting ANY picks back. If Dadonov gets hurt or plays bad. You may get NOTHING at the deadline. Meaning you just helped out Vegas for free pretty much. Good GMs are able to get assets like picks back for helping teams like that.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:31 p.m.
Looks like Vegas bought cap space.
weirfanno1 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit