SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/VGK) - Weber for Dadonov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
There are better short term bets than Dadanov at $5mil, even if the Habs retain 50%... i dont see a big return.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.
to be banned soon
don't worry everybody when the new CBA comes vegas is gonna be well screwed for taking on this contract
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 10:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: ColonelX
Remember that LTIR doesn't count on day 1 of the regular season so yes Vegas gets cap relief but will need to comply on day 1 for the next 4 years. Short term solution from Vegas as always so we'll see how this one works out.

Montreal gets much needed cap space and a guy they'll likely showcase all year to take at TDL. Worked out well for Chiarot so I'm all in on this one.

LTIR doesn't work like that. Heck the Leafs had Lupul and Horton on LTIR for years and didn't have to be "cap compliant" on the first day of the season.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: DongLord23
It's fairly easy to understand but for some reason you just don't get it.

Crosby doesn't have negative value. Dadonov does. Obviously. Dadonov didn't even get a pick back you don't make any sense.

Your whole trade hinges on a future hypothetical TDL flip. Like the Sabres when they got Will Butcher and thought they'd be able to flip him. Guess what? He didn't play good and got hurt. They weren't able to flip him at the TDL. AT LEAST they got a 5th round pick for taking the contract so it worked out.

Habs are not getting ANY picks back. If Dadonov gets hurt or plays bad. You may get NOTHING at the deadline. Meaning you just helped out Vegas for free pretty much. Good GMs are able to get assets like picks back for helping teams like that.

but if you draft someone with a pick, and then he gets injured the year later, and cant conitnue his career, do.you get something? so its safer to never do any trade right, because hypoteticly it might turn bad is what you are saying. makes 100% sense, dont trade for any players because they might get injured, dont get draft pick, because you could draft someone and they could get injured, dont sign any free agent, because they can get injured. yeah i get it, its smart to think hypotechly like that...

and you know, maybe he doesnt have negative value.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
but if you draft someone with a pick, and then he gets injured the year later, and cant conitnue his career, do.you get something? so its safer to never do any trade right, because hypoteticly it might turn bad is what you are saying. makes 100% sense, dont trade for any players because they might get injured, dont get draft pick, because you could draft someone and they could get injured, dont sign any free agent, because they can get injured. yeah i get it, its smart to think hypotechly like that...

and you know, maybe he doesnt have negative value.

"but if you draft someone with a pick, and then he gets injured the year later, and cant conitnue his career, do.you get something? so its safer to never do any trade right, because hypoteticly it might turn bad is what you are saying. makes 100% sense, dont trade for any players because they might get injured, dont get draft pick, because you could draft someone and they could get injured, dont sign any free agent, because they can get injured. yeah i get it, its smart to think hypotechly like that..."

You're really missing the point. Don't trade for negative contracts without getting some picks back. Vegas was in a tough position and you just helped them for free. Didn't cost them anything.

"and you know, maybe he doesnt have negative value."

If he had positive value they would've traded him for a pick.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Why does Dadonov have (-) value? It's clear you're trolling and likely going to end up on my block list because of how ignorant you are.

Just another guy who will be gone in 6 months because he's too embarrassed to come back to this site.

Yup, that's ignore list material. That guy really is a Dong Lord.

I better not get in trouble with moderators with this...

HE LITERALLY CHOSE THAT NAME FOR HIMSELF.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 7:14 a.m.
$12.85M in cap relief - wow! And all it cost was one slightly overpaid player.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 8:20 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: CD282

there's a reason you only have 5k likes on your 18k posts. ****ty take lol
Jun. 17, 2022 at 9:38 a.m.
Go leafs go
Why does Dadonov have (-) value? It's clear you're trolling and likely going to end up on my block list because of how ignorant you are.

Just another guy who will be gone in 6 months because he's too embarrassed to come back to this site.

Dude, of course Dadonov had negative value. He was literally traded with a 2nd as a cap dump. Could this work out in Montreals favour down the road? Absolutly. Right now I'm just pissed off at them for deciding to do Vegas a favour and let them not pay to dump Dadonov this time around.
Brian2016 and MasterLevi liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Dude, of course Dadonov had negative value. He was literally traded with a 2nd as a cap dump. Could this work out in Montreals favour down the road? Absolutly. Right now I'm just pissed off at them for deciding to do Vegas a favour and let them not pay to dump Dadonov this time around.

Dadonov has negative value to Vegas, not to MTL. Big difference, one team was desperate to move him, the other can wait and see or flip him for value
Saskleaf and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Dadonov has negative value to Vegas, not to MTL. Big difference, one team was desperate to move him, the other can wait and see or flip him for value

Yes, I realize that, and Montreal could come out of this trade looking good, but right now they just did Vegas a massive favour, essentially for free.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 10:23 a.m.
WentWughes
Yes, I realize that, and Montreal could come out of this trade looking good, but right now they just did Vegas a massive favour, essentially for free.

Montreal just took a negative value to them and turned it into a positive one for them
Jun. 17, 2022 at 10:38 a.m.
Go leafs go
Montreal just took a negative value to them and turned it into a positive one for them

It’s simply bad asset management by Montreal. His value was a negative 2nd rounder. He was traded for some one that was worth basically nothing. Not a good look on Hughes.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 10:41 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: CD282

You are incorrect sir. Although it's very simple to just add both Dadonov's contract with Weber's and think "that's how much they're saving in cap space", it's wrong. VGK replaced Dadonov's contract with Weber's... so the only cap relief they will get is from Weber's contract. $7.85mil. Not the addition of both.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 10:48 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
It’s simply bad asset management by Montreal. His value was a negative 2nd rounder. He was traded for some one that was worth basically nothing. Not a good look on Hughes.

Shea Weber is not an asset, man, Competitive teams don't want those contracts unless they're forced to & Weber will prevent them from accruing cap space for the next four years while Vegas is competing.
Saskleaf, Joe_La_Garnotte, Kotkaniemi15 and 3 others liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Go leafs go
Edited Jun. 17, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Shea Weber is not an asset, man, Competitive teams don't want those contracts unless they're forced to & Weber will prevent them from accruing cap space for the next four years while Vegas is competing.

I said he was worth basically nothing. I meant, but didn't say, that he has negative value, but only slightly.

Edit: I see now what you are getting at since I called it bad asset management. I should have used a different term. I agree Weber is not an asset, he’s a slight liability.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Vegas has made some very costly, very impetuous decisions over the last couple seasons. This is a move in the right direction, but they have a long, long way to go to get back to elite status.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
WentWughes

so sick of people saying he is a negative value. He is not.

Hagel isn't worth 2 1st.
Fleury is worth more than a throwaway player

Understand the situation
Jun. 17, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
WentWughes

Let me ask you this , what makes him negative value?
Jun. 17, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Go leafs go
so sick of people saying he is a negative value. He is not.

Hagel isn't worth 2 1st.
Fleury is worth more than a throwaway player

Understand the situation

Let me ask you this , what makes him negative value?

He was literally traded 3 months ago with a 2nd round pick for LTIR contracts. That’s the literal definition of a player having negative value. There has never been a more concrete case of negative value like Dadonov.
MasterLevi liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
We are all equal
Simply put both teams won.

Vegas dumped a player that was active and a high cap hit at 5 million and gets them one step closer to icing a team next season. The LTIR contract (Weber) goes from the IR in the off season to the LTIR on opening day and will help fix there cap issues for the season. They better have a good capologist in there organization that has it down to the last dollar wink

Montreal gets out from that high cap hit contract and opens up the cap space to the deadline and has a movable asset who has 1 year left on his contract can have some retention without any long term repercussions.

Too bad teams would let Vegas sit in there mess for a bit, before teams like the Canadiens came to the rescue...
Jun. 17, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
I don't like it. This makes them better and I want the Habs to keep rebuilding for the next few years but looks like management wants the Habs to compete as soon as next year
Jun. 17, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
the great one
That was official like a year ago lol

i still had hope
Jun. 17, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.
Awesome trade for both teams. Maybe slightly better for MTL but its really negligible if anything. In order to see the true value of it, you'll need to be patient though.

Vegas gets their cap situation fixed for the next 4 years practically and given that they will be going all in every year for a while, they'll be able to go over the cap to squeeze everyone in nicely.

MTL instead of paying a 4th or whatever to get rid of Weber's contract to a team like Arizona, they take on salary instead, which wasn't what they wanted originally, but a player who is still good enough to raise his value this season so that he could be traded with max retention for a potential draft pick, prospect, etc. So they get a warm body for most of the year and an asset to potentially move at the TDL.

There really isn't any downside to this trade. Even if Dadanov stinks the bed this year, Habs are still out of LTIR hell without having to pay anything other than money. Which the Habs owner is loaded with. They don't expect to be a playoff team next year so they aren't expecting to spend up to the cap anyway so its all good.
weirfanno1 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
WentWughes
He was literally traded 3 months ago with a 2nd round pick for LTIR contracts. That’s the literal definition of a player having negative value. There has never been a more concrete case of negative value like Dadonov.

So is it because of his 40 pts + contract or because his name is Dadonov? Because I can list a bunch of 40 PT players who make more than Dadonov that you wouldn't say have negative value.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit