Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/VGK) - Weber for Dadonov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 17, 2022 at 4:36 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Saskleaf
He was literally traded 3 months ago with a 2nd round pick for LTIR contracts. That’s the literal definition of a player having negative value. There has never been a more concrete case of negative value like Dadonov.

So because Ghost was dumped with a 2nd + 3rd you think he has a bad contract? It all comes down to how a certain team values that player.
Remus liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 4:56 p.m.
Dadonov is still a good player. imo MTL wins this for sure

ZfSoWsPl.png
Remus liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 5:03 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Dadonov is still a good player. imo MTL wins this for sure

ZfSoWsPl.png

Yeah he'll be a very good middle 6 player. What we wanted Hoffman to be.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
So is it because of his 40 pts + contract or because his name is Dadonov? Because I can list a bunch of 40 PT players who make more than Dadonov that you wouldn't say have negative value.

Because they weren’t traded for with a 2nd for nothing 3 months ago.

To clarify: this is far more a Vegas win than a Montreal loss. But if he costed a 2nd to dump 3 months ago, he should cost at least a little bit to dump.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 5:57 p.m.
Go leafs go
So because Ghost was dumped with a 2nd + 3rd you think he has a bad contract? It all comes down to how a certain team values that player.

That’s like a year and a bit ago, not 3 months.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 6:03 p.m.
WentWughes
Because they weren’t traded for with a 2nd for nothing 3 months ago.

To clarify: this is far more a Vegas win than a Montreal loss. But if he costed a 2nd to dump 3 months ago, he should cost at least a little bit to dump.

So your logic makes no sense. It's negative value just because it's Dadonov. Any other player who puts up the exact same stats on that contract is positive, but ONLY Dadonov is negative.

That's your Montreal hate showing I'm afraid.
Remus and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
WentWughes
New conspiracy;

Hughes acquired Dadonov so he can help mentor Kravtsov when he becomes a hab
Jun. 17, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
Go leafs go
So your logic makes no sense. It's negative value just because it's Dadonov. Any other player who puts up the exact same stats on that contract is positive, but ONLY Dadonov is negative.

That's your Montreal hate showing I'm afraid.

How on earth is this Montreal hate?!?! It has nothing to do with hating Montreal, and everything to do with Vegas. How do you not understand the concept that because Dadonov was traded 3 months ago with a 2nd round pick, and now was essentually traded for nothing that it's bad for Montreal in comparison to the Anaheim deal?

Also when did I say other players earning over 5 mil and getting 40 points had positive value? I never did at any point. 40 point players should be earning like 3 mil.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
WentWughes
How on earth is this Montreal hate?!?! It has nothing to do with hating Montreal, and everything to do with Vegas. How do you not understand the concept that because Dadonov was traded 3 months ago with a 2nd round pick, and now was essentually traded for nothing that it's bad for Montreal in comparison to the Anaheim deal?

Also when did I say other players earning over 5 mil and getting 40 points had positive value? I never did at any point. 40 point players should be earning like 3 mil.

I don't even think you know what your argument is. Just because Vegas wins doesn't mean Montreal loses, it's very possible that both teams win.

I DO think that Vegas wins more in this trade, but Montreal also wins.
Saskleaf and seb87 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 6:24 p.m.
Go leafs go
I don't even think you know what your argument is. Just because Vegas wins doesn't mean Montreal loses, it's very possible that both teams win.

I DO think that Vegas wins more in this trade, but Montreal also wins.

I agree, it's very plausible Montreal could come out on top if Dadonov improves and they flip or resign him. But it's absolutly undebatable that Vegas is the bigger winner here right now. But I can accept calling it a win-win, as long as we can understand one win was bigger.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
Quoting: DongLord23
Vegas was in a tough position and you just helped them for free. Didn't cost them anything.

But if he costed a 2nd to dump 3 months ago, he should cost at least a little bit to dump.

The Canadiens didn't help them for free, we got them to take Shea Weber's contract. People asking why we didn't get a 2nd, the answer is, because we didn't enter into this transaction to acquire picks, we entered into it to ditch that contract and have less LTIR commitments. Mission accomplished.

For the moment, this is a fair trade, both parties benefit. Both also in theory could derive additional benefits in the future that may tip the balance one way or another. It's possible, for instance, that the Golden Knights might be able to flip this to the Coyotes for an asset at some point in the future (perhaps after Bryan Little's contract is done); conversely, if it's causing performance bonus cap problems whenever they actually bring some draftees onboard, they may have to pay to get rid of it. In Montreal's case, they could potentially get something for Dadonov at next year's trade deadline.
palhal liked this.
Jun. 17, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
Just thoughts

The only worrying thing for the Habs is that they added a guy who can play and will definitely improve our top9

Probably 1-2 wingers will be traded because there are just too many now. Byron buy out?

Does that mean Hughes already knows Price’s not coming back? If it’s positive in his case and he knows that Price will be at the next camp, he needs Weber’s contract on LTIR to lessen the other’s impact. No?

Retirement or LTIR? What does that mean for Mtl if he retires?
Jun. 17, 2022 at 11:57 p.m.
Quoting: GO_HABS_GO

Does that mean Hughes already knows Price’s not coming back? If it’s positive in his case and he knows that Price will be at the next camp, he needs Weber’s contract on LTIR to lessen the other’s impact. No?

No, if Price was coming back, Weber being on LTIR wouldn't change anything.

They're still waiting on Price, and won't know anything for a while.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: Colonel_Green
No, if Price was coming back, Weber being on LTIR wouldn't change anything.

What do u mean?
Jun. 18, 2022 at 2:41 a.m.
Go leafs go
The Canadiens didn't help them for free, we got them to take Shea Weber's contract. People asking why we didn't get a 2nd, the answer is, because we didn't enter into this transaction to acquire picks, we entered into it to ditch that contract and have less LTIR commitments. Mission accomplished.

For the moment, this is a fair trade, both parties benefit. Both also in theory could derive additional benefits in the future that may tip the balance one way or another. It's possible, for instance, that the Golden Knights might be able to flip this to the Coyotes for an asset at some point in the future (perhaps after Bryan Little's contract is done); conversely, if it's causing performance bonus cap problems whenever they actually bring some draftees onboard, they may have to pay to get rid of it. In Montreal's case, they could potentially get something for Dadonov at next year's trade deadline.

The only commitment of an LTIR contract is the actual money. In other words, the Weber contract is worth nothing to Montreal, but it’s not a dump either.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
WentWughes
The only commitment of an LTIR contract is the actual money. In other words, the Weber contract is worth nothing to Montreal, but it’s not a dump either.

and the fact that Money can't accrue salary space throughout the season.

It's noteworthy because they can't take on bad contracts at the TD and recieve picks back.

I also read that because the player is 35+ the team has to pay 30% of his contract.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.

No, there are other implications to being in LTIR (especially if Price also ends up on LTIR, which is increasingly likely). Hence why the Canadiens wanted to move it. It's not a neutral matter, it's a positive benefit for them.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 10:37 a.m.
Go leafs go
and the fact that Money can't accrue salary space throughout the season.

It's noteworthy because they can't take on bad contracts at the TD and recieve picks back.

I also read that because the player is 35+ the team has to pay 30% of his contract.

No, there are other implications to being in LTIR (especially if Price also ends up on LTIR, which is increasingly likely). Hence why the Canadiens wanted to move it. It's not a neutral matter, it's a positive benefit for them.

Fair enough, but don’t forget Vegas was going to take back Kessler in the Anaheim deal.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Western Champs
W for Montreal

Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Brownc15
I’m curious, what would you have traded for to take on webers contract? I’m assuming nothing? I’m assuming you’d ask montreal to toss in a pick to take on webers contract actually. They didn’t have to get rid of any of their picks and they get a player back.

I’m not saying I don’t like this for either team. It helps Vegas now and provides montreal cap flexibility in future off seasons. Vegas didn’t get a pick… montreal didn’t get a pick… both teams get what they wanted. If dadonov gets injured no big deal he’s off the books next year and provides 5 mil in cap space after next year.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:19 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Huge win for MTL! Dadonov is so underrated.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Missouri
Huge win for MTL! Dadonov is so underrated.

Let's just hope he has a huge year so we can get a boat load at the deadline
Missouri liked this.
Jun. 18, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
GO KNIGHTS GO
Win for VGK. I liked Dadonov, but that cap hit was too rich for our blood. I figured we’d have to move something/someone with him, so this comes as a pleasant surprise.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 1:02 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Vegas wins cause 5m Dadonov is off their cap...and Vegas has no bonus payment. Montreal wins cause an LTIR can affect when a team has the ability to pay it's bonuses. And Montreal has so bonuses to pay most likely because of their high draft picks on ELCs
SadSensFan14 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
sen krak fan
You sure? Thanks Ducks for saying that.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit