Forums/Armchair-GM

Bottom Six Has Got To Hit

Created by: KingExLeafs
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 18, 2022
Published: Jun. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kerfoot, Engvall, Kase are nice players who can score and make plays but championship teams have warriors in the bottom six. The leafs need big, gritty hitters who wear down the defence and bring a different element to the game. When every line looks and acts the same then the opponent doesn't feel the need to adjust their gameplan or style of play.

Dubas shouldn't touch the top six or the defensive core. Those areas are good. All he needs to do is get two new goalies and put together a completely different bottom six, which is very easy and doable. There are cheap options in free agency and via trades.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,800,000
2$1,800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,800,000
4$1,500,000
3$2,500,000
3$2,000,000
1$900,000
Trades
TOR
    Future Considerations
    CHI
    1. Abruzzese, Nick
    2. Mrázek, Petr
    3. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
    TOR
    1. 2022 4th round pick (DAL)
    OTT
    1. Kase, Ondrej [RFA Rights]
    2. 2023 4th round pick (TOR)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$82,500,000$81,689,783$212,500$0$810,217
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    Taxi Squad
    $827,500$827,500 ($0$0$0$0)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:06 p.m.
    I like the look of the 3rd line, but I think Watson isnt a guy we should target at least Laughton and Sanford can play.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.
    Leblock_james
    Ottawa says no kase ain’t it
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
    Trad Breliving
    Sanford had 21 points last year.

I’d take him on the fourth line, sure. But not for $2.5M.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
    Don’t hate the Philly trade
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
    Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
    Sanford had 21 points last year.

I’d take him on the fourth line, sure. But not for $2.5M.

Overpayment is the name of the game in free agency.

I want the Leafs to go after proven 3rd and 4th liners, not dumpster dive for aging cheap veterans who are on their last legs. The bottom six needs to have an identity, and they need to play together for the duration of the season.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
    Quoting: Leblock_james98
    Ottawa says no kase ain’t it

Yeah but we'd just let him walk, he has no contract right now. So it's basically Watson for a 4th which is probably fair value but the Sens like him a lot

It kinda depends on the number's game but they don't need a 4th. They'll just keep Watson for this season as it's the last year of his contract

Quoting: jazzhandz321
    I like the look of the 3rd line, but I think Watson isnt a guy we should target at least Laughton and Sanford can play.

Watson is a better hockey player than Zach Sanford, easily

So how did you base yourself on to say that? Hockeydb.com?
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
    Trad Breliving
    Quoting: KingExLeafs
    Overpayment is the name of the game in free agency.

I want the Leafs to go after proven 3rd and 4th liners, not dumpster dive for aging cheap veterans who are on their last legs. The bottom six needs to have an identity, and they need to play together for the duration of the season.

How’d the Leafs end up with a top-6 forward and a defensively elite 3C for a combined price of $2,450,000 in FA if overpayment is the name of the game?
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
    How’d the Leafs end up with a top-6 forward and a defensively elite 3C for a combined price of $2,450,000 in FA if overpayment is the name of the game?

Kampf and Bunting are unicorns. If Dubas finds players of their equivalent to round out the top 9 and solidify the line up, then hats off to him.

Leafs will probably target RFAs who haven't been qualified by their teams and sign them to cheap deals. That's a good strategy.

But a lot of teams will be looking for big, gritty guys like Nick Paul, Marchment, and Sanford. There will be a bidding war for those types of players. I hope the Leafs manange to pick up at least one of them.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
    Quoting: Xspyrit
    Yeah but we'd just let him walk, he has no contract right now. So it's basically Watson for a 4th which is probably fair value but the Sens like him a lot

It kinda depends on the number's game but they don't need a 4th. They'll just keep Watson for this season as it's the last year of his contract

Watson is a better hockey player than Zach Sanford, easily

So how did you base yourself on to say that? Hockeydb.com?

I mean his underlying numbers seem to be better, Watson is a really solid PKer though I'll give you that
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
    I mean his underlying numbers seem to be better, Watson is a really solid PKer though I'll give you that

I haven't made an advanced stats analysis for such depth players but ask any Sens fan who had both players last season and Sanford really didn't convince anybody. I'm pretty confident saying that the vast majority would rather have Watson

Sanford could in theory be a better player, but he is missing "something"
    jazzhandz321 liked this.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
    I haven't made an advanced stats analysis for such depth players but ask any Sens fan who had both players last season and Sanford really didn't convince anybody. I'm pretty confident saying that the vast majority would rather have Watson

Sanford could in theory be a better player, but he is missing "something"

Hmm that is interesting, there definitely is an unknown element to the underlying numbers that can make them unpredictable.

Sanford strikes me as a guy who performs better when theres stake to games, I think being on a team that was in a transition year was the worst thing for him I remember he was a beast in the St Louis cup final. Could be Maroon lite in the right system
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
    Trad Breliving
    Quoting: KingExLeafs
    Kampf and Bunting are unicorns. If Dubas finds players of their equivalent to round out the top 9 and solidify the line up, then hats off to him.

Leafs will probably target RFAs who haven't been qualified by their teams and sign them to cheap deals. That's a good strategy.

But a lot of teams will be looking for big, gritty guys like Nick Paul, Marchment, and Sanford. There will be a bidding war for those types of players. I hope the Leafs manange to pick up at least one of them.

We don’t need to out-hit teams to win. We do need some tenacity though.

Miles Wood is awesome. I’d love to grab him.
    Jesse Puljujarvi is likely available for trade. He’s an amazing forechecker.
    Re-sign Blackwell.
    Hopefully Robertson can be a full-time guy this year. He plays with tenacity.
    Kase, at the right price, would be amazing as well.
    Even Kerfoot is a tenacious player.

I would like Watson for the 4th line. I’m not sure the Leafs can afford to have a $1.5M 4th liner this year though.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
    We don’t need to out-hit teams to win. We do need some tenacity though.

Miles Wood is awesome. I’d love to grab him.
    Jesse Puljujarvi is likely available for trade. He’s an amazing forechecker.
    Re-sign Blackwell.
    Hopefully Robertson can be a full-time guy this year. He plays with tenacity.
    Kase, at the right price, would be amazing as well.
    Even Kerfoot is a tenacious player.

I would like Watson for the 4th line. I’m not sure the Leafs can afford to have a $1.5M 4th liner this year though.

Bkackwell and Kerfoot are too small. And size matters in the playoffs. It just does. Big guys who can skate are more valuable. And Kase is always getting injured, he's not reliable. But the other guys you mentioned would be great additions.
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
    Hmm that is interesting, there definitely is an unknown element to the underlying numbers that can make them unpredictable.

Sanford strikes me as a guy who performs better when theres stake to games, I think being on a team that was in a transition year was the worst thing for him I remember he was a beast in the St Louis cup final. Could be Maroon lite in the right system

Yes all stats have limitations and don't tell the whole story. This is also not like baseball, hockey has way too many variable parts and a lot of context

Sanford is one of the most inconsistent players I have seen. He can look like a top-6 forward in some games, but like a total passenger in many others
    Jun. 18, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
    Marner rocks
    Yes all stats have limitations and don't tell the whole story. This is also not like baseball, hockey has way too many variable parts and a lot of context

Sanford is one of the most inconsistent players I have seen. He can look like a top-6 forward in some games, but like a total passenger in many others

So he's a less talented version of Nylander. Not what the leafs are looking for. They need to take a page out of TB's book. If it cost you a first for a role player that makes your team better for a true cup run you do it.
    Xspyrit liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2022 at 7:22 a.m.
    Quoting: jaok3
    So he's a less talented version of Nylander. Not what the leafs are looking for. They need to take a page out of TB's book. If it cost you a first for a role player that makes your team better for a true cup run you do it.

Well Sanford is a 6'3 power forward, he's less of a Nylander and more of a Ritchie/Maroon type player
    Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
    Quoting: jaok3

Exactly. Look how they acquire these Coleman, Goodrow, Paul, Hagel, etc. I didn't like the price they paid for Hagel but still, these guys were very efficient at a very low cap so they add tremendous depth while staying under the cap (I don't give a rat's about what conspiracists say). And that kind of quality depth is what wins you Cups in the playoffs. Look at the Avs right now and the depth they have added recently, that's why they are finally going all the way

Leafs should target Connor Brown. If the Sens (stupidly) don't extend him, then pry him out of their hands, he's a fantastic player, particularly for his cost.

Well Sanford is a 6'3 power forward, he's less of a Nylander and more of a Ritchie/Maroon type player

In what world is Sanford a "power forward"?

Do you want to see some comments from Blues fans about him?

- Lanky forward with good hands and a decent shot. Gets knocked off the puck pretty easily, but has talent.

- He's either a mid line PF who can score 15ish goals and 30ish points OR he's bambi on ice and doesn't belong in the NHL.
    And there's really no middle ground to be found there.

- His one problem is he can get knocked off the puck too easy

- total passenger, gets knocked off the puck WAY too easily for a guy his size.. disapears way too often

he'll put up a really good ~2 week stretch that will just frustrate you even more

I could go on if you want to see Sens fans comments too, or more blues'

When I saw Sanford play in Ottawa, I thought the exact same things as above and he did have an hat trick

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll