SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Columbus Blue Jackets Draft Guide

Columbus Blue Jackets Draft Guide

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: BruinsFan35
Published: Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
Description
My plan is to make a big board for each team prior to the draft, looking at guys who's abilities would match up well with what the team in question should be looking for on draft night. I'm using my Draft Guide for the rankings, and the goal is to select multiple players within the range of each teams' selections that they should consider. These players are ranked by my ranking numerically, not necessarily who the team should value first, second, third, etc. at that spot (hopefully that makes sense). The plan was to provide explanations for the first round picks for every team, then just provide the list for rounds 2-7. However, since it's been a while since I've posted these, and I'm running low on time to get all 32 boards out, I'll be just posting players, not descriptions, for every pick. If you want clarification on a specific player, comment and I'll provide it.

Columbus is next, three key needs are:

Center
Right Wing
Right Defense
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
First Round
#6 and #12 Overall
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-My Ranking: #3
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-My Ranking: #4
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-My Ranking: #5
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-My Ranking: #7
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksMy Ranking: #9
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-My Ranking: #10
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-My Ranking: #12
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-My Ranking: #14
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-My Ranking: #15
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Second Round
#44 Overall
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-My Ranking: #38
13Logo of the New York Islanders-My Ranking: #39
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-My Ranking: #40
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-My Ranking: #42
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsMy Ranking: #43
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-My Ranking: #44
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Third Round
#96 Overall
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-My Ranking: #91
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-My Ranking: #93
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-My Ranking: #97
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsMy Ranking: #102
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Fourth Round
#109 Overall
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Kazimier Sobieski
My Ranking: #106
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-My Ranking: #107
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary FlamesMy Ranking: #108
27Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina HurricanesMy Ranking: #114
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
Seventh Round
#203 Overall
29Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-My Ranking: #199
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York RangersMy Ranking: #203
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-My Ranking: #204
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado AvalancheMy Ranking: #205
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-My Ranking: #207
34Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
35Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
36Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
37Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
38Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
39Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
40Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
41Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
42Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
43Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
44Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
45Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the New York Islanders
46Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
47Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
49Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Nashville Predators
50Logo of the Dallas Stars-
51Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
52Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
53Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
54Logo of the Boston Bruins-
55Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
56Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
57Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Minnesota Wild
58Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
59Logo of the Calgary Flames-
60Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
61Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Florida Panthers
62Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
63Logo of the New York Rangers-
64Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
65Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
power forward
Could I perhaps get explanations on Kemell and McGroarty? Btw, I can't wait for more, this is a solid idea.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:56 a.m.
CBJ imo needs RD and C which is why I think they hope for jiricek or Savoie to be there at 6
Jun. 20, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
CBJ have not drafted Americans since 2017. Fun fact, they have drafted more Columbus-born players than Americans in that span. Sillinger is Columbus-born, but Canadian citizen.
Will they continue the trend or draft or draft 100 Americans? I would say in 1st round that fact is not unimportant. Columbus is small market, unpopular among North-American players (especially Americans). They draft non-Americans, because they are more likely to be satisfied in CBJ. So I think they will continue to draft many international players.

So:
no.6... It's unlikely Nemec will be available, but Jiricek might be. Kemell should be still there. So Jiricek could be option A, Kemell could be option B.
no.12... Lambert, Lekkerimaki, Kasper. Nazar and Savoie might also be available and I think both would be acceptable for CBJ. As cast off Savoie would have a chip on his shoulder, Nazar is from Detroit suburb (100 miles away).
no. 44... Make it 2F, 1RHD after this pick. If they have 2F after first round, go BPA RHD. If they have 1F, 1D after 1st round, go BPA F.
lower rounds... BPAs. Their prospect pool is not very deep, so diversify your selections.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
CBJ imo needs RD and C which is why I think they hope for jiricek or Savoie to be there at 6

Agreed. In a perfect world, Jiricek is there for them at 6. Issue would be that there's a very good chance that Nemec/Jiricek go to Philly, and that the other goes to either Seattle or NJ.

Honestly, if there's any team that trades up, I'd bet on Columbus. I don't know how exactly they do it, but I really think there's a deal to be made with the Devils. Getting Cooley at 2OA would answer a ton of questions in CLB.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

RW (despite being the second listed need) was my 3rd priority, just because it was weaker than LD, LW, and G
Savoie or Jiricek would be great selections.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
Quoting: christianyog
Could I perhaps get explanations on Kemell and McGroarty? Btw, I can't wait for more, this is a solid idea.

Thanks

Kemell: Electric sniper with elite skating, shot, and handles, among other top-tier attributes. His biggest knock is his defense, which, admittedly, sucks, so much so that it probably keeps him from being a day 1 NHLer. Has all of the offensive tools that teams covet, and was able to display them against men in Liiga and against his peers at the World U18s. For Columbus, they get a future elite top 6 winger (probably top line) that'll pair beautifully across from Laine on the power play as two shooting options, and with the speedy playmaking Kent Johnson at 5 on 5, which would be one of the best dynamic duos in the league.

McGroarty: McGroarty, ideally, would be a pick at #12 over #6, but he fills a bigger need than Kemell would as a future top six center to pair with Sillinger. and McGroarty provides a lot of key attributes that the Blue jackets should be looking for with anchor their skilled wingers: 200-foot effort, high IQ, and a willingness to go into the dirty areas to collect pucks and screen the goalie. Needs to work on his acceleration, which is the only skating attribute that is below average in his game, despite many saying that his skating is weak. The top speed is perfectly fine, but it takes him too long to reach it. He is also largely undisciplined, particularly with his stick, which could be accredited to his slow first steps losing him races and needing to make up for it by reaching. But, considering the downsides, McGroarty has been a consistent three-zone stud for the NTDP this year, and reminds me of Anze Kopitar in a lot of ways, which, as I've already mentioned, is the exact archetype of center that the Blue Jackets should covet to help anchor lines with their poor-defensive wingers (Laine, Johnson, Chinakhov to lesser extent)
Jun. 21, 2022 at 8:31 a.m.
Yegor bomb
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
Their prospect pool is not very deep, so diversify your selections.

Why do you think CBJ's prospect pool isn't that deep?
Jun. 21, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
Why do you think CBJ's prospect pool isn't that deep?

Compare it with prospect pools of other franchises. It is one of the less star-loaded. Realistically, how many players do you consider as potential stars, or maybe legit top 6 forwards and top 4 D-men? Probably Marchenko (who will turn 22 soon) and Ceulemans. Very quickly we are into pedestrian territory:

- Foudy is 22, with 27 GP, 5A. Disappointment given high draft position.
- Pyhhtia is yet to test smaller ice surface. For now you can just hope he will do well. He will turn 21 in December.
- Angle is yet to play in NHL, he will be 22 at the beginning of the season.
- Fix-Wolansky is 23, small, with 6 GP, 2P. Do you count on him to be franchise's cornerstone?
- Malatesta is small and still less than 1 PPG in QMJHL.
- Rysavy is still in WHL, a bit over 0.5 PPG.
- Voronkov is below 0.33 PPG in KHL. He will turn 22 soon.
- Richard might actually turn into something. Decent first season in college. Fingers crossed.
- Christiansen will turn 23 soon. He scores a lot in AHL, but in the NHL he has 8GP, 1G.
- Knazko is still in WHL. He will be 20 soon.
-Svozil was OK in his first season in WHL. Wait if there is more.
- Bjorgvik Holm is 20 and still in OHL.
- Hreschuk had average first season in Boston.
- Makarov struggles to keep his position on 2nd pairing in MHL team.

Now compare that group to other groups in the league. It is in the bottom third, possibly even lower. And many of these prospects are LHDs. They would not all play (if they make it), spots are limited.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 11:53 a.m.
Yegor bomb
Compare it with prospect pools of other franchises. It is one of the less star-loaded. Realistically, how many players do you consider as potential stars, or maybe legit top 6 forwards and top 4 D-men? Probably Marchenko (who will turn 22 soon) and Ceulemans. Very quickly we are into pedestrian territory:

- Foudy is 22, with 27 GP, 5A. Disappointment given high draft position.
- Pyhhtia is yet to test smaller ice surface. For now you can just hope he will do well. He will turn 21 in December.
- Angle is yet to play in NHL, he will be 22 at the beginning of the season.
- Fix-Wolansky is 23, small, with 6 GP, 2P. Do you count on him to be franchise's cornerstone?
- Malatesta is small and still less than 1 PPG in QMJHL.
- Rysavy is still in WHL, a bit over 0.5 PPG.
- Voronkov is below 0.33 PPG in KHL. He will turn 22 soon.
- Richard might actually turn into something. Decent first season in college. Fingers crossed.
- Christiansen will turn 23 soon. He scores a lot in AHL, but in the NHL he has 8GP, 1G.
- Knazko is still in WHL. He will be 20 soon.
-Svozil was OK in his first season in WHL. Wait if there is more.
- Bjorgvik Holm is 20 and still in OHL.
- Hreschuk had average first season in Boston.
- Makarov struggles to keep his position on 2nd pairing in MHL team.

Now compare that group to other groups in the league. It is in the bottom third, possibly even lower. And many of these prospects are LHDs. They would not all play (if they make it), spots are limited.

I see, you are ignoring (maybe not ignoring, I may not know what the term "prospect" encompasses) Sillinger, K. Johnson, Chinakhov, and Boqvist who all have potential to be top 6 forwards (boqvist top 4 D-man) and are younger than Marchenko and almost all other players you listed. They are just already with the main team. I agree none of those players you listed will be top 6 or top 4 d-man but Columbus just pushed all their young players to the main squad cause they knew they weren't a playoff team. CBJ isn't a team like LA/Anaheim/Montreal who sent their young players back to the AHL to not burn and ELC year so idk if those players like Mctavish or Turcotte count as prospects, because if they do then Kent/Sillinger/Chinakhov can as well. CBJ had more players 21 and under on their main squad than most other teams to end the season.

Also I appreciate the discussion. CBJ's AHL team sucks and most players wont make the main squad minus maybe foudy would be a 4th line grinder but a good one hopefully. and maybe a bottom paring d-men or 2.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
I see, you are ignoring (maybe not ignoring, I may not know what the term "prospect" encompasses) Sillinger, K. Johnson, Chinakhov, and Boqvist who all have potential to be top 6 forwards (boqvist top 4 D-man) and are younger than Marchenko and almost all other players you listed. They are just already with the main team. I agree none of those players you listed will be top 6 or top 4 d-man but Columbus just pushed all their young players to the main squad cause they knew they weren't a playoff team. CBJ isn't a team like LA/Anaheim/Montreal who sent their young players back to the AHL to not burn and ELC year so idk if those players like Mctavish or Turcotte count as prospects, because if they do then Kent/Sillinger/Chinakhov can as well. CBJ had more players 21 and under on their main squad than most other teams to end the season.

Also I appreciate the discussion. CBJ's AHL team sucks and most players wont make the main squad minus maybe foudy would be a 4th line grinder but a good one hopefully. and maybe a bottom paring d-men or 2.

There's definitely a solid argument to be made that Sillinger, Boqvist and Chinakhov don't qualify as prospects anymore. Johnson should certainly still be in that category though with only 9 games played. That being said, the Jackets were a top 10 prospect system on a lot of lists last season so I don't think they fall off that far with Sillinger and Chinakhov graduating from their pool. They're still likely a top 15 system before they add the 2022 draft.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Yegor bomb
Quoting: dk325
There's definitely a solid argument to be made that Sillinger, Boqvist and Chinakhov don't qualify as prospects anymore. Johnson should certainly still be in that category though with only 9 games played. That being said, the Jackets were a top 10 prospect system on a lot of lists last season so I don't think they fall off that far with Sillinger and Chinakhov graduating from their pool. They're still likely a top 15 system before they add the 2022 draft.

But do McTavish and other same draft year players count for other teams? If they do in rankings I think ours should.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
But do McTavish and other same draft year players count for other teams? If they do in rankings I think ours should.

McTavish is another guy with only 9 games played. I would consider him a prospect still just like Johnson. Sillinger has 79, Chinkhov has 62 and Boqvist has 128. I think all three have become NHL players now which would make them no longer prospects. It's a good thing when they're that young.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.

I forgot about Johnson, he is prospect. On the other hand, Sillinger, Chinakhov and Boqvist are young roster players. It might seem like a lot, but it's really not.

In non-covid years teams need around 30 players who are capable to play in NHL. Injuries are common. That would mean 20-25 older players and 5-10 prospects (who are capable to jump in). I would say on average team should raise 3 new roster players every year. Not necesserely top-6 Fs and top-4 D-men, that would be unreal, but at least players who can play at least 10 minutes per night on their own. After some age, let's say 30, number of players from draft class begin to quickly fall down. By the age of 35 usually there are way less than 10 players from draft class still active. So you can't count on players to play on average 10 seasons (that would be on average up to 820 GP). In fact, 10 seasons per player is rather exception than rule. But I will say franchise needs 30 players per season and (for easier calculation) they play 10 seasons on average. 30:10= 3. On average teams need 3 new faces every season. 2 is not much, 3 is enough. Because, to be fair, drafting is not the only way to get new people. There is also UFA signing, including NCAA and European players. But young players have another advantage, they are cheap (ELC) and waivers-exempt.

To say it differently, CBJ's problem is not bad scouting or development. CBJ is paying price for past effort to jump over first round in the playoffs. Look at 2019 draft, CBJ ended with 3 new prospects, none before 4th round. Over the past several years they have had below-average number of draft picks and below-average position of first selection in the draft. These things usually have to be paid in arrears. 2021 draft was good starting point for revitalization, but it takes more than that.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Yegor bomb
I forgot about Johnson, he is prospect. On the other hand, Sillinger, Chinakhov and Boqvist are young roster players. It might seem like a lot, but it's really not.

In non-covid years teams need around 30 players who are capable to play in NHL. Injuries are common. That would mean 20-25 older players and 5-10 prospects (who are capable to jump in). I would say on average team should raise 3 new roster players every year. Not necesserely top-6 Fs and top-4 D-men, that would be unreal, but at least players who can play at least 10 minutes per night on their own. After some age, let's say 30, number of players from draft class begin to quickly fall down. By the age of 35 usually there are way less than 10 players from draft class still active. So you can't count on players to play on average 10 seasons (that would be on average up to 820 GP). In fact, 10 seasons per player is rather exception than rule. But I will say franchise needs 30 players per season and (for easier calculation) they play 10 seasons on average. 30:10= 3. On average teams need 3 new faces every season. 2 is not much, 3 is enough. Because, to be fair, drafting is not the only way to get new people. There is also UFA signing, including NCAA and European players. But young players have another advantage, they are cheap (ELC) and waivers-exempt.

To say it differently, CBJ's problem is not bad scouting or development. CBJ is paying price for past effort to jump over first round in the playoffs. Look at 2019 draft, CBJ ended with 3 new prospects, none before 4th round. Over the past several years they have had below-average number of draft picks and below-average position of first selection in the draft. These things usually have to be paid in arrears. 2021 draft was good starting point for revitalization, but it takes more than that.

appreciate the explanation!
Jun. 26, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: BruinsFan35
Thanks

Kemell: Electric sniper with elite skating, shot, and handles, among other top-tier attributes. His biggest knock is his defense, which, admittedly, sucks, so much so that it probably keeps him from being a day 1 NHLer. Has all of the offensive tools that teams covet, and was able to display them against men in Liiga and against his peers at the World U18s. For Columbus, they get a future elite top 6 winger (probably top line) that'll pair beautifully across from Laine on the power play as two shooting options, and with the speedy playmaking Kent Johnson at 5 on 5, which would be one of the best dynamic duos in the league.

McGroarty: McGroarty, ideally, would be a pick at #12 over #6, but he fills a bigger need than Kemell would as a future top six center to pair with Sillinger. and McGroarty provides a lot of key attributes that the Blue jackets should be looking for with anchor their skilled wingers: 200-foot effort, high IQ, and a willingness to go into the dirty areas to collect pucks and screen the goalie. Needs to work on his acceleration, which is the only skating attribute that is below average in his game, despite many saying that his skating is weak. The top speed is perfectly fine, but it takes him too long to reach it. He is also largely undisciplined, particularly with his stick, which could be accredited to his slow first steps losing him races and needing to make up for it by reaching. But, considering the downsides, McGroarty has been a consistent three-zone stud for the NTDP this year, and reminds me of Anze Kopitar in a lot of ways, which, as I've already mentioned, is the exact archetype of center that the Blue Jackets should covet to help anchor lines with their poor-defensive wingers (Laine, Johnson, Chinakhov to lesser extent)

Thank you.

I feel like Columbus also lacks some physical youth up front. Maybe they consider taking Yurov with the 6th pick?
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2022 at 8:34 p.m.
Quoting: christianyog
Thank you.

I feel like Columbus also lacks some physical youth up front. Maybe they consider taking Yurov with the 6th pick?

Yeah Yurov wouldn’t be a terrible option, nor would Slafkovsky should he somehow fall to them at 6.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll