SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

goalies for next year

Who do you want be the goalies?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 21, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I think with Campbell wanting 5 million, it's time to move on.
He hasn't been consistent enough or played enough a full season to warrant that kind of money.

Mzraek I feel is done here too.
Hell even at 4 million on Campbell, the price may be too steep.

So I think it's a good possibility that we 2 new goalies next year.
My opinon is look at analytics and make a choice, mine are trade for Vanecek and sign Comrie.

Tandem setup, I'm worried about adding a systems goalie.

Would appreciate other ideas and input.
oneX liked this.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Minni might be willing to trade Talbot. Think Kallgren has earned a shot with the Leafs. But unless a high cap player is traded, not much cap space for goalie. I'm assuming 1m X 4 years buyout of Mrzarek.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
Minni might be willing to trade Talbot. Think Kallgren has earned a shot with the Leafs. But unless a high cap player is traded, not much cap space for goalie. I'm assuming 1m X 4 years buyout of Mrzarek.

Do you really think Mzraek is not moveable?
Look at all the contracts being moved that shouldxsurely cost heavy assets to move but costing little to none.

I think Mzraek is moveable and the only way he is not if he cant play... I'd he cant play, most dont matter.

I'm not against Kallgren but I'd rather him the insurance guy right now.

Vanecek and Comrie have good numbers, i like them.

Is there anyone else beyond Talbot you might bite on??
Jun. 21, 2022 at 8:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Trickster
Do you really think Mzraek is not moveable?
Look at all the contracts being moved that shouldxsurely cost heavy assets to move but costing little to none.

I think Mzraek is moveable and the only way he is not if he cant play... I'd he cant play, most dont matter.

I'm not against Kallgren but I'd rather him the insurance guy right now.

Vanecek and Comrie have good numbers, i like them.

Is there anyone else beyond Talbot you might bite on??

Gotta think Vanecek is needed by Washington. Comrie is interesting. I betcha he would sign with a team that gave him chance at a # 1 job. Hey the Leafs cap situation may force to sign a guy like Comrie. IMO he could be a good signing. Mrzarek, yea I think his play and contract makes him untradeable.
Jun. 21, 2022 at 10:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 21, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
I would honestly sign Campbell and wait to see if Murray gets bought out or try and bring in Desmith or Comrie to back him up

Now Siegel and Mirtle hinted MAF could happen but idk hes to unpredictable. That said of all the goalie options via FA hes the best guy

There is Husso but idk I dont trust it. I feel hes gonna be like Grubauer

So my best guess rn is we see one of these tandems

1. Campbell/Desmith
2. Campbell/Comrie
3. Campbell/Kallgren
4. Campbell/Murray

1. MAF/Kallgren
2. MAF/Desmith
3. MAF/Comrie
4. MAF/Murray
Jun. 22, 2022 at 12:23 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
Gotta think Vanecek is needed by Washington. Comrie is interesting. I betcha he would sign with a team that gave him chance at a # 1 job. Hey the Leafs cap situation may force to sign a guy like Comrie. IMO he could be a good signing. Mrzarek, yea I think his play and contract makes him untradeable.

I gotta disagree, Mzraek is likely traded to me.
Jun. 22, 2022 at 12:24 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: aadoyle
I would honestly sign Campbell and wait to see if Murray gets bought out or try and bring in Desmith or Comrie to back him up

Now Siegel and Mirtle hinted MAF could happen but idk hes to unpredictable. That said of all the goalie options via FA hes the best guy

1. Campbell/Desmith
2. Campbell/Comrie
3. Campbell/Kallgren
4. Campbell/Murray

1. MAF/Kallgren
2. MAF/Desmith
3. MAF/Comrie
4. MAF/Murray

Is Campbell worth 5 or 4 million you think?
I dont.
What has he done till now say he is?

MAF I think will go to Pittsburgh to finish his career.
Jun. 22, 2022 at 12:36 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 22, 2022 at 1:03 a.m.
I dont.

If we look at comparable's and what he has done yes he is worth 5mill rn. Since Joining the Leafs Campbell in 3 seasons is

51-14-9 with a 2.47 GAA and a 0.917 SV

Injuries are a concern but a healthy Campbell is a monster we all have seen it

Now for comparison

Ullmark 5mill x 4 years
Perersen 5mill x 3 years
Merzlinkens 5.4mill x 5 years
Jun. 22, 2022 at 1:56 a.m.
I think with Campbell wanting 5 million, it's time to move on.
He hasn't been consistent enough or played enough a full season to warrant that kind of money.

Mzraek I feel is done here too.
Hell even at 4 million on Campbell, the price may be too steep.

So I think it's a good possibility that we 2 new goalies next year.
My opinon is look at analytics and make a choice, mine are trade for Vanecek and sign Comrie.

Tandem setup, I'm worried about adding a systems goalie.

Would appreciate other ideas and input.

I like your idea of getting Comrie. Outside of that, I'm lost on goaltending. I'd like Campbell back but 5 million seems steep for a guy with injury concerns.

I hope the Leafs steer clear of Matt Murray. IMO he's not good enough anymore.
Jun. 22, 2022 at 6:31 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Edited Jun. 22, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.

1. Campbell/Desmith
2. Campbell/Comrie
3. Campbell/Kallgren
4. Campbell/Murray

1. MAF/Kallgren
2. MAF/Desmith
3. MAF/Comrie
4. MAF/Murray

I dont.

If we look at comparable's and what he has done yes he is worth 5mill rn. Since Joining the Leafs Campbell in 3 seasons is

51-14-9 with a 2.47 GAA and a 0.917 SV

Injuries are a concern but a healthy Campbell is a monster we all have seen it

Now for comparison

Ullmark 5mill x 4 years
Perersen 5mill x 3 years
Merzlinkens 5.4mill x 5 years

The point is he hasn't been healthy and is getting a track record of not being able to stay healthy.

With the sample size he has, this should not be a concern but it is.

This is where I cant do it.
Jun. 22, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
I like your idea of getting Comrie. Outside of that, I'm lost on goaltending. I'd like Campbell back but 5 million seems steep for a guy with injury concerns.

I hope the Leafs steer clear of Matt Murray. IMO he's not good enough anymore.

If Murray gets bought out I'd take a chance at low cost.
We cant pretend the cap is not real.
Jun. 22, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.
Mrazek is easily movable, they might have to add a minor sweetener or include him in a larger trade, but the whole "no choice but a buyout" is ridiculous.
I tend towards the Ville Husso route, but that could also get expensive for an unproven starter because there are other teams interested. it could become a bidding war. The same goes for Eric Comrie.
Dubas will pull a surprise out of his hat. Part of that surprise might even be holding onto Mrazek to see how he responds with a new goaltender coach. It's not a bad way to determine his value for a future trade closer to the trade deadline. Sign a goalie, hold onto Mrazek, keep Kalgren as a contingency... rather than signing a forward this offseason, hold onto what we have, move some young players from the minors to see how things play out and re-evaluate throughout the season. It creates more pieces to play with.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: X27
Mrazek is easily movable, they might have to add a minor sweetener or include him in a larger trade, but the whole "no choice but a buyout" is ridiculous.
I tend towards the Ville Husso route, but that could also get expensive for an unproven starter because there are other teams interested. it could become a bidding war. The same goes for Eric Comrie.
Dubas will pull a surprise out of his hat. Part of that surprise might even be holding onto Mrazek to see how he responds with a new goaltender coach. It's not a bad way to determine his value for a future trade closer to the trade deadline. Sign a goalie, hold onto Mrazek, keep Kalgren as a contingency... rather than signing a forward this offseason, hold onto what we have, move some young players from the minors to see how things play out and re-evaluate throughout the season. It creates more pieces to play with.

I can't remember which Sportsnet guy did a piece on Mrazek but in that piece it mentioned that Mrazek really is not open to new ideas from goalie coaches. He has his aggressive style and has pretty much stuck to it through his career.

To me, that sounds like it's time to move him and get a tandem because a starter seems out of reach with what the cap situation is.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Should the Leafs not be able to get Campbell back on a reasonable deal that works for both sides, I would really love to get either Ilya Samsonov or Vitek Vanecek out of WSH. Whoever they deem not their number 1.

My first choice would be Samsonov. You are banking on talent coming back since his numbers where not very good last year. However, this is a former first-round pick who the Capitals felt at one time was their goalie of the future. He’s struggled a lot against high-danger chances (he was tied with Campbell with a .676). It will be really important for him to improve in that area. Samsonov is just 25 years old, might be an intriguing option to put him next to another vet (Holtby/DeSmith/Wedgewood or maybe pair him with another Russian if Georgiev if he goes unqualified). Yes this is like buying a lottery ticket hoping to hit which is scary for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations, but I see a lot of value in Ilya.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Should the Leafs not be able to get Campbell back on a reasonable deal that works for both sides, I would really love to get either Ilya Samsonov or Vitek Vanecek out of WSH. Whoever they deem not their number 1.

My first choice would be Samsonov. You are banking on talent coming back since his numbers where not very good last year. However, this is a former first-round pick who the Capitals felt at one time was their goalie of the future. He’s struggled a lot against high-danger chances (he was tied with Campbell with a .676). It will be really important for him to improve in that area. Samsonov is just 25 years old, might be an intriguing option to put him next to another vet (Holtby/DeSmith/Wedgewood or maybe pair him with another Russian if Georgiev if he goes unqualified). Yes this is like buying a lottery ticket hoping to hit which is scary for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations, but I see a lot of value in Ilya.

I have both Samsonov and Georgiev at the same level.
Vanecek seems like he has better analytics.

Also why I like Comrie too.
Desmith has good analytics too.

If Ottawa buys out Murray I'd sign him as insurance type guy.

I really thought Samsonov would be better by now TBH, so that is bit of red flag in my mind.
oneX liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Quoting: X27

I agree. I thought Mrazek was a good signing at the time, but I’m beginning to think Carolina makes goalies look better than they are. I liked him in Detroit too though. He wasn’t good in Philly but he wasn’t there very long. I could see somebody with enough excess cap space to pay $3.8M for a guy they don’t need to be #1 taking a chance on him to see if he can bounce back. Nobody picked him up on waivers in March though, so I expect the Leafs will have to pay at least some small price to get somebody to take him, but they shouldn't need to buy him out.
Jul. 4, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Man goalie decision getting harder.

Dont think I want to gamble on Gibson and the term he has scares me.
Husso is unproven.
Other UFA options looking bleak.
I would hot 1 of DeSmith or Comrie but is for goalie #2
Both would be tough I feel.
Varlamov doesnt interest me.
I like Vanecek but also unproven.
Blackwood is gamble.
I don't think Hellabyuck is available even a little.
Talbot? Is he done in Minnesota?

I still feel Campbell and Mzraek are done here.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:59 a.m.
... and viola... Mrazek is proven to be easily movable. Dropping down from 25th to 38th in the draft is not a significant drop-off in potential talent.
Trickster liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Husso signed too, overpaid by Detroit.
I dont want Campbell back at 5 million, that would be bad move.

I'm hoping we are trading for a goalie
Jul. 8, 2022 at 12:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Husso signed too, overpaid by Detroit.
I dont want Campbell back at 5 million, that would be bad move.

I'm hoping we are trading for a goalie

There is only one good goalie for trade and its worse than a 5mill Campbell if it goes bad

If its 5 mill x 3 or 4 years im fine with Campbell
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
There is only one good goalie for trade and its worse than a 5mill Campbell if it goes bad

If its 5 mill x 3 or 4 years im fine with Campbell

I'm hoping for Blackwood trade
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'm hoping for Blackwood trade

Blackwood is to much of a gamble for my liking
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Blackwood is to much of a gamble for my liking

How about Talbot?
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
How about Talbot?

I like Talbot

And if Toronto can also bring back Reimer imagine a Talbot/Reimer tandem which costs 5.85mill total
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I like Talbot

And if Toronto can also bring back Reimer imagine a Talbot/Reimer tandem which costs 5.85mill total

A 3rd rounder sounds like fair value to acquire him.
He has to want out though.

And I want Comrie as backup

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit