SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

Options with PLD

Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:01 p.m.
These are the 3 options imo for the Jets and PLD, ranked from most likely to least likely.

1. Hold on for another year and trade him at the 2023 draft: Based on the past decisions by Chevy this is the most likely outcome. When Trouba told Chevy that he didn't want to sign long-term, Chevy waited until the last minute to trade him. This probably brings less value than trading him right now, but I feel like Chevy will probably go this route.

2. Trade PLD now: This option is probably the one that I would pick unless there is a real chance of signing PLD long-term. If we do trade PLD we have to get a young center back, I don't know if Perfetti is a center in the long run. I would be extremely sad if it comes to this, but if he truly wants out then this is the best way for the team.

3. Convince PLD to sign long-term now: This one is probably the least likely. I believe that PLD has already made his decision
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
Sabresguy1897
zk97 liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:07 p.m.
I would imagine option 1 is the most likely. Then depending on how the team is going, maybe even waiting until the TDL of the last season or using him as an own rental.

Least likely would be trading him for an underwhelming return now.
Mr_Canoehead and njlaforte liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.
Calgary was the runner up (as usual) last time on him. I would love to try and get him again even if it is just 2 years. Im very confident Tre will do his due diligence as per usual.

Assuming it would have to be cap in - cap out what would you ask for with the guaranteed term being 2 years?
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
I would be pretty concerned about the potential for him to sulk his way out of Winnipeg like he did in Columbus if he plays at all again. Money might motivate him to not play that game though since he is much closer to UFA than he was when he pulled that stunt.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
I can see Option #1 being the road Cheveldayoff takes again. He did that for Trouba hoping he could convince him to stay and when he couldn't he moved Trouba. If he trades both PLD and Scheifele now, there will be an incoming trade request from Hellebuyck.
njlaforte liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Calgary was the runner up (as usual) last time on him. I would love to try and get him again even if it is just 2 years. Im very confident Tre will do his due diligence as per usual.

Assuming it would have to be cap in - cap out what would you ask for with the guaranteed term being 2 years?

We would need a top center prospect (Not sure who that would be), a young roster player (Maybe one of the RFA's you can't resign), some high picks. The price will be probably more than your offer for Eichel.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
I can see Option #1 being the road Cheveldayoff takes again. He did that for Trouba hoping he could convince him to stay and when he couldn't he moved Trouba. If he trades both PLD and Scheifele now, there will be an incoming trade request from Hellebuyck.

Yes, that is my next ACGM. The only problem with trading both Scheif and PLD is that Perfetti will have to be our 1C and Lowry will probably be our 2C, I dont think Perfetti is a center in this league.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
I would be pretty concerned about the potential for him to sulk his way out of Winnipeg like he did in Columbus if he plays at all again. Money might motivate him to not play that game though since he is much closer to UFA than he was when he pulled that stunt.

If he says he will stay long term for $9M and we find a way to move Wheeler, then I give him the $9M and the 'C'.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
I would imagine option 1 is the most likely. Then depending on how the team is going, maybe even waiting until the TDL of the last season or using him as an own rental.

Least likely would be trading him for an underwhelming return now.

I have a feeling that trading him now could be the best option. The 2023 draft is what the Jets should look forward too. Trade Scheif, Wheels, PLD, and Helle, collect the next wave of Jets and go on a 1-2 year rebuild.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: njlaforte
I have a feeling that trading him now could be the best option. The 2023 draft is what the Jets should look forward too. Trade Scheif, Wheels, PLD, and Helle, collect the next wave of Jets and go on a 1-2 year rebuild.

Yes, the Jets would probably get the best trade return that way, but unless guys start demanding trades, I think the Jets just push with a new coach and see how far they can get in two years.

Trading now isn't Chevy's MO.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 10:56 a.m.
Bedard23
Give him a one year deal then trade him at the deadline to a contending team that needs a top center similar to Andrew Copp
palhal liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I wonder if the Jets are in the situation and it might be good situation in summer of 2024.....PLD, Schiefelle, Wheeler and Hellebuyck are all UFAs...that's about 28m. Before that maybe even at TDL 2024, the Jets if they aren't contenders....trade all three. Start the summer of 2024 with cap and futures.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll