Forums/Armchair-GM

Striking Black Gold

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 23, 2022
Published: Jun. 23, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Any serious AGM that tries to keep the Oilers as genuine contenders is going to find that solving every one of the team's issues in a single offseason is virtually impossible: unless there's some miracle trade out there yet unthought of, or some breakthrough player that Edmonton finds for pennies, the Oilers can realistically afford to do three of the following:

1. Improve the goaltending.
2. Improve the blueline.
3. Improve the depth scoring.
4. Maintain or bolster the prospect pool.
5. Eject bloat salary.

I went with options 1, 4, and 5, as I believe I ran par for the course on options 2 and 3. I don't believe in massive roster turnover - most NHL GMs don't - so I limited myself to 4 trades and tried to minimize the number of new faces. Ken Holland has biases with prospects, I tried to respect that. Josh Manson is on the record of not wanting to play in Edmonton, I've respected that as well. In all honesty, I still don't truly believe this is the season where the Oilers can do the thing: Varlamov is still only a temporary solution and the blueline needs more time to get to championship snuff, as I don't think there's a trade or signing the Oilers can afford that gets them over the hump. If they convince Jarry to sign with them the following summer, then I think the Oilers find themselves rightfully in the contender conversation. Vegas scares me, but this roster's good enough to make a series out of it that could go either way. If Colorado keeps the band together that third round series still looks like Everest.

Ducks trade sees two LTI contracts head to California to assist in cap floor-related business with Lavoie as a sweetener. They don't have a prospect like him in their system and I genuinely think he just needs a change in scenery as the Bakersfield staff (including Woody) haven't set him up for much success at all (a lot of non-NHL deals see a lot of icetime in the Oilers' system). I also have the Oilers doing a pick swap with the Ducks: if this is a weaker class, then Anaheim is going to have a want for quality over quantity whereas the Oilers have the opposite want. If the Ducks flip Gibson and Smith is healthy enough to finish his contract, he helps insulate Dostal while playing behind Stolarz. Decent fit.

Saw the Columbus trade on a Blue Jackets AGM. Heard of some Kassian interest coming out of the Ohio hockey media. I like it enough to consider it, as Edmonton is going to bleed assets in a Kassian dump regardless. Bemstrom could be worth betting on.

I think Varlamov's tune changes having seen how the far the Oilers went under Woodcroft and that the Isles' management is going to push hard on him moving on. Something tells me the Leafs win the Husso "sweepstakes". Saw Varly for next year's third rounder in an Isles' AGM. Edmonton needs the retention to accommodate this trade, so a B-prospect is sent to Long Island to compensate. Would be willing to upgrade to a second if the Isles send a fourth back.

I can't see Francis wanting to continue to suck as the newest team on the block after two essentially NHL-ready top-five picks. Mid-round picks and a bottom-sixer for pieces the Kraken could genuinely use while Edmonton saves a pile of cash. Goes to hell if the Kraken drop a Brinks truck on Klingberg, but I don't believe they'll be the team to do it as I firmly believe he stays in Dallas, how boring.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,175,000
1$775,000
2$1,175,000
2$1,175,000
1$2,500,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,500,000
3$2,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$950,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (PIT)
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (ANA)
  3. 2022 5th round pick (TOR)
ANA
EDM
  1. Bemström, Emil [RFA Rights]
CBJ
  1. Kassian, Zack
  2. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Varlamov, Semyon ($2,500,000 retained)
NYI
  1. Chiasson, Jake [Reserve List]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Geekie, Morgan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (CGY)
  3. 2023 4th round pick (COL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,864,462$896,000$850,000$635,538

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,175,000$1,175,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,175,000$1,175,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
There is absolutely no reason for Anaheim to trade anything here in this deal
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: GeneralLandro
There is absolutely no reason for Anaheim to trade anything here in this deal

I'd be curious to understand why you so hastily came to that conclusion.

Both Klefbom and Smith have insured deals and the Ducks are looking to be a cap floor team. Based on the going rates for these kinds of deals, Lavoie as a project prospect fits the slight add Edmonton would be expected to make. The stingy Ducks owners can see their team hit the cap floor while spending pennies on the dollar to do so. That makes complete sense to me.

By way of draft pick values, the Ducks make out with positive value gained from moving their three picks up into the first round. As I mention in the description, if this is expected to be a weaker class, then Anaheim should prioritize pick quality over pick quantity. Save the need for quantity of picks for the 2023 class.
Saskleaf, Bobcaygeon97 and Tintin liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
Jinx god
I feel like that NYI package is light and that CBJ package is too much. Maybe reduce the 1st to the highest 2nd and that 3rd to the lowest 2nd out of your picks.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
First of all, props for the detailed explanation and making this realistic by minimizing the roster turnover.

I don't see Kane returning for under 6 (he's looking for 7m+ in Edm, 8m+ elsewhere) unless he wins that grievance case against the Sharks and then they buy him out.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:13 p.m.
the isles aren't retaining 2.5mil for that package.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Mr.T 17
Idk if anyone knows this but there's a huge chance that Kane's Contract might not be terminated and the Sharks just might have to trade him after playing for the Oilers... Lol... Thanks for the awesome half a year Sharks... Was great, we just might have to trade for his contract and let go of unnecessary and unneeded contracts that clearly failed... You know... Guys like Kassian, Keith, Smith, Barrie and Foegele, although I personally believe that Foegele could still turn into a nice 4th liner
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:17 p.m.
If I’m jarmo I’m laughing aft then phone after fleecing holland. Way to much to dump kassian.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:20 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
I feel like that NYI package is light and that CBJ package is too much. Maybe reduce the 1st to the highest 2nd and that 3rd to the lowest 2nd out of your picks.

I think by the time the Blue Jackets and Oilers come to an agreement on this deal, the 2022 draft will have passed. What could Columbus add that Edmonton could then in turn send to the Islanders as part of the package for Varlamov?

Quoting: GMBL
First of all, props for the detailed explanation and making this realistic by minimizing the roster turnover.

I don't see Kane returning for under 6 (he's looking for 7m+ in Edm, 8m+ elsewhere) unless he wins that grievance case against the Sharks and then they buy him out.

I can't see the league not punishing the Sharks similarly to how the Kings were penalized for terminating Mike Richards as the NHLPA doesn't believe the Sharks had the grounds to terminate his deal the way they did. I don't think Kane is going to realistically find the number he's looking for on the open market without factoring in any recapture or termination fees. If the sum of those numbers roughly figures to $7M annually I'd hope he sticks around.

Quoting: bagelbob
the isles aren't retaining 2.5mil for that package.

How far off am I? Will a 2024 pick cross the gap?
EsoYeezus69 and GMBL liked this.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: cody_tugak
Idk if anyone knows this but there's a huge chance that Kane's Contract might not be terminated and the Sharks just might have to trade him after playing for the Oilers... Lol... Thanks for the awesome half a year Sharks... Was great, we just might have to trade for his contract and let go of unnecessary and unneeded contracts that clearly failed... You know... Guys like Kassian, Keith, Smith, Barrie and Foegele, although I personally believe that Foegele could still turn into a nice 4th liner

The precedence set by the Richards' fiasco suggests that the Sharks are losing Kane and will have to fork over some quantity of cash over a period of time. It's a far cleaner solution than trying to explain how Kane wasn't entirely Oilers property for half a season and that he's still a full-time Shark. The case you presented is the outcome that genuinely nobody in the league wants.

Quoting: The_Cannon
If I’m jarmo I’m laughing aft then phone after fleecing holland. Way to much to dump kassian.

Then pray tell what else Columbus adds?
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I think by the time the Blue JAckets and Oilers come to an agreement on this deal, the 2022 draft will have passed. What could Columbus add that Edmonton could then in turn send to the Islanders as part of the package for Varlamov?

I can't see the league not punishing the Sharks similarly to how the Kings were penalized for terminating Mike Richards as the NHLPA doesn't believe the Sharks had the grounds to terminate his deal the way they did. I don't think Kane is going to realistically find the number he's looking for on the open market without factoring in any recapture or termination fees. If the sum of those numbers roughly figures to $7M annually I'd hope he sticks around.

Something to attract the Isles would probably something that you combine with a 3rd to make a 2nd and then some (X +3rd = 2nd+ (emphasis on the plus not being that big)). Not too sure on what that asset would be, maybe a prospect that would be combined with the 3rd to make a little bit more than a 2nd in terms of value.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:26 p.m.

Yeah, I don't think he easily gets his ask on a new contract, especially if he's looking to go to a contender but I won't be surprised if he gets 6-6.5m at the very least.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:31 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: GMBL
Yeah, I don't think he easily gets his ask on a new contract, especially if he's looking to go to a contender but I won't be surprised if he gets 6-6.5m at the very least.

I don't doubt it but therein lies one of the massive issues I've had with ballparking this offseason: any team that can afford to give Kane that kind of money is likely aiming at names like DeBrincat, Forsberg, and Pastrnak. The Devils and Kings come to mind immediately as names linked to those three.

I haven't wanted to hit publish on many an AGM because this offseason appears to have far more moving parts than years past.

Also, if Kane's arbitration date goes past the opening day of free agency, will there be a contending team out there capable of offering $6M+? Does money become the precedent and wherever he ends up negligible? I can't make heads or tails of his situation.
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.

with 2.5mil i’d think at least 2nds would needed to be added, maybe a 2024 first. imo if they move him it’s either for assets of legit quality or for cap space, since they’re still looking to compete next year. at the deadline maybe it’s a bit less, similar to the fleury trade, but don’t see it happening without at least a second or two coming back
Jun. 23, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.
The precedence set by the Richards' fiasco suggests that the Sharks are losing Kane and will have to fork over some quantity of cash over a period of time. It's a far cleaner solution than trying to explain how Kane wasn't entirely Oilers property for half a season and that he's still a full-time Shark. The case you presented is the outcome that genuinely nobody in the league wants.

Then pray tell what else Columbus adds?

Nah we’re good. I’d throw you a third. But that would be about it. Kinda hard to add to a deal like this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 1:40 a.m.

By way of draft pick values, the Ducks make out with positive value gained from moving their three picks up into the first round. As I mention in the description, if this is expected to be a weaker class, then Anaheim should prioritize pick quality over pick quantity. Save the need for quantity of picks for the 2023 class.

Your assessment that ANA will favor quality I think is spot on. That's why they'll use their assets to move up from #22 or maybe even #10. For example I'd do #22 and #42 for #16 in a hot second. The type of quality at #29 is no where close to #16 supposedly (what do I know though).
Jun. 24, 2022 at 2:59 a.m.
Dude! Wicked job on the team explanation. Seriously, well done my friend.

As an Oilers fan I have a couple suggestions not criticism.

1) way to much for Kassian, a buyout makes more sense and saving that pick and using it on something that has real value.
2) I’d like to see a Foegele trade for something similar in return, I see a lot of trades with Foggy but nothing real coming back, a suggestion would be Soucy, Sissons or Labanc but that would involve a prospect for that later.
3) I can think of 3 goalies I’d rather have that are the same price point or cheaper & better than Varlomov. Soupy - Kuemper - Husso - Gibson - Skinner……ya, I think Skinner would be better.

Having said that, great job. I have zero issues with anything you did here.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 3:39 a.m.
I think by the time the Blue Jackets and Oilers come to an agreement on this deal, the 2022 draft will have passed. What could Columbus add that Edmonton could then in turn send to the Islanders as part of the package for Varlamov?

Use the kuemper deal as a blueprint so yes youre way off
Jun. 24, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
If there was a feature to "like" ACGMs, this would be it. Very well detailed and it seems like the kind of moves the Oilers should make.

Edit: Minus the Kassian trade. Should include Kassian in a package or buy him out.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
The Kassian contract isn't bad enough to warrant a first round pick to dump that contract. Anaheim's second might be the highest you have to go even with Bemstrom. I like Bemstrom a lot, but he's getting overtaken by younger players with Columbus.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: CHAR
Your assessment that ANA will favor quality I think is spot on. That's why they'll use their assets to move up from #22 or maybe even #10. For example I'd do #22 and #42 for #16 in a hot second. The type of quality at #29 is no where close to #16 supposedly (what do I know though).

In using this draft pick value resource, I've noted that teams that trade back do so at a surplus value of about 1.00vcs (value chart score). The combination of #22 and #42 has enough buying power to maybe get the Ducks to #17, but that all depends on if teams in that window are even interested in trading back at all. Out of curiosity, adding #53 to that deal as well can really only push the Ducks up to #14 if the Jets were hyper-interested in trading back. I suspect the Kings are privy to trade their selection and the Sabres might trade their selection up if a name they really like slides out of the top-10. I don't know if there's a fit for the Ducks to trade up without it being marginal (ie: with the Capitals or Penguins). Maybe the Stars? Nashville's pool seems pretty mediocre and trading back doesn't necessarily help that.

From what I've read about this draft, the third-tier talent pool is the large and spans from about #18 to #40. That was more or less where my thought process was in making that move for Anaheim: maximize who they select from that window instead of hoping for stragglers with their seconds. Either way, predicting draft-day trades is like having a chimp bet on the stock market. Nobody knows what's going to happen.

Quoting: Bobcaygeon97
Dude! Wicked job on the team explanation. Seriously, well done my friend.

As an Oilers fan I have a couple suggestions not criticism.

1) way to much for Kassian, a buyout makes more sense and saving that pick and using it on something that has real value.
2) I’d like to see a Foegele trade for something similar in return, I see a lot of trades with Foggy but nothing real coming back, a suggestion would be Soucy, Sissons or Labanc but that would involve a prospect for that later.
3) I can think of 3 goalies I’d rather have that are the same price point or cheaper & better than Varlomov. Soupy - Kuemper - Husso - Gibson - Skinner……ya, I think Skinner would be better.

Having said that, great job. I have zero issues with anything you did here.

You're massively undervaluing Varlamov. He's been an almost statistical replica of Kuemper over the past three seasons. Besides, it's a one-year target. Jarry as a UFA the following summer is the real prize. Husso is too raw (can't see him not signing in Toronto anyways) and Gibson's reputation costs to much in terms of assets and cap for the gamble he would be to acquire. I don't hate the idea of Campbell or Kuemper himself, but there's still a salary cap to contend with.

Quoting: Islesforthecup
Use the kuemper deal as a blueprint so yes youre way off

I hadn't realized exactly how close the two were statistically over the past three seasons. Granted that Varlamov is older, unlikely to extend in Edmonton long-term, and has a GSAA three-quarters that of Kuemper's, I'd be more interested in doing a first round pick plus Berezkin/Chiasson straight up for a fully-retained Varlamov than having to add a conditional pick to boot. Fair?

Quoting: SevenLeg
If there was a feature to "like" ACGMs, this would be it. Very well detailed and it seems like the kind of moves the Oilers should make.

Edit: Minus the Kassian trade. Should include Kassian in a package or buy him out.

Buyout isn't an option given how finite the cap space is this year and the following two. I think scaling the value back is probably fair enough.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.

From what I've read about this draft, the third-tier talent pool is the large and spans from about #18 to #40. That was more or less where my thought process was in making that move for Anaheim: maximize who they select from that window instead of hoping for stragglers with their seconds.

That 3rd tier range for sure starts in about the same place I have in mind for it, and whether it goes down to #40 is not super relevant for me. I say that because I'm seeing the 2nd tier of kids going from #6 to #17 and that's my focus. Already having #10 it would be stellar if the Ducks could move up from #22 to get a second kid from the 2nd tier. To me that's better than 1 from 2nd tier and 2 from 3rd tier (quality!).

FWIW, I don't necessarily think #22 and #42 alone get #16. There easily could be more needed... I just didn't want to get too far off into the weeds on a complete hypothetical. I have no idea if Buffalo would be open trading down either. On the plus side of that though is they have #9 also and maybe that gets them thinking about turning this into a quantity haul with 9, 22, 41, 42 and so on. All it takes there is a pair of teams going off board a bit and Buffalo could easily end up with three of the 3rd tier kids and a 2nd tier.

Vancouver at #15 is another one I wonder about. Their prospect pool is so shallow that I could see them wanting some quantity of picks.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 10:39 p.m.
I hadn't realized exactly how close the two were statistically over the past three seasons. Granted that Varlamov is older, unlikely to extend in Edmonton long-term, and has a GSAA three-quarters that of Kuemper's, I'd be more interested in doing a first round pick plus Berezkin/Chiasson straight up for a fully-retained Varlamov than having to add a conditional pick to boot. Fair?

So a couple things.
1 - is GSAA supposed to be GSVA or goals saved above expected or something else? Ive just never seen that so im a bit confused.
2 - if you exclude kuempers year in COL bc that happened post trade over their last 3 years before the trade varlamov was the better goalie. Not to mention while success is a team accomplishmemt varlamov led his team to back to back ECFs which while i dont think that should matter i think gms look for that stuff.
Its not just kuemper. MAF got a conditional 1st in a really down year and CHI had also made it very clear they were going to trade him to where he wanted to go so they really didnt have much leverage.
The kuemper trade was a top 10 protected 1st and at that time a solid prospect in connor timmins. In return kuemper (1m retained so 3.8m to COL). Now the fact that varly cant be a long term fix like kuemper can be is a real factor but without a prospect going in the deal i think it balances out.
My proposal would be varly (no retention from nyi) for a top 16 protected 1st that becomes a top 10/5 protected 1st in 24 and unprotected in 25 if it hasnt conveyed.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
Ban Price trades
So a couple things.
1 - is GSAA supposed to be GSVA or goals saved above expected or something else? Ive just never seen that so im a bit confused.
2 - if you exclude kuempers year in COL bc that happened post trade over their last 3 years before the trade varlamov was the better goalie. Not to mention while success is a team accomplishmemt varlamov led his team to back to back ECFs which while i dont think that should matter i think gms look for that stuff.
Its not just kuemper. MAF got a conditional 1st in a really down year and CHI had also made it very clear they were going to trade him to where he wanted to go so they really didnt have much leverage.
The kuemper trade was a top 10 protected 1st and at that time a solid prospect in connor timmins. In return kuemper (1m retained so 3.8m to COL). Now the fact that varly cant be a long term fix like kuemper can be is a real factor but without a prospect going in the deal i think it balances out.
My proposal would be varly (no retention from nyi) for a top 16 protected 1st that becomes a top 10/5 protected 1st in 24 and unprotected in 25 if it hasnt conveyed.

Goals saved above average. Decent metric to see how good a netminder is compared to a regular schmo.

I have no interest in moving goalposts that much as Kuemper could still be an option for the Oilers sans Kane. A comparison over their body of work right now is sufficient.

The deal cannot happen without max retention. Edmonton does not have the cap space to accommodate Varlamov without it. If no retention can be offered, Edmonton keeps their assets and signs Campbell or Kuemper. I'm looking at the 2024 1st, the 2023 5th, and Berezkin as the maximum I'd pay.
Jun. 26, 2022 at 7:54 a.m.
Goals saved above average. Decent metric to see how good a netminder is compared to a regular schmo.

I have no interest in moving goalposts that much as Kuemper could still be an option for the Oilers sans Kane. A comparison over their body of work right now is sufficient.

The deal cannot happen without max retention. Edmonton does not have the cap space to accommodate Varlamov without it. If no retention can be offered, Edmonton keeps their assets and signs Campbell or Kuemper. I'm looking at the 2024 1st, the 2023 5th, and Berezkin as the maximum I'd pay.

If we are talking about what varlys trade value is based on the kuemper deal then you cant count kuempers year in COL bc that didnt affect his trade value.

Never heard of GSAA who calculates that?

I wouldnt touch that deal. A 1st 3 years from now, a late pick and a prospect thats not really worth anything for varly with full retention just isnt worth it. Maybe theres something to be worked out in terms of a 3rd team retaining but i wouldnt do that.
Jun. 26, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.

Never heard of GSAA who calculates that?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kuempda01.html

Take a look at that page and mouse over any of the column headers for a brief description of what goes into that stat. People love the advanced stats now so it's good the know what they are.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll