Forums/Armchair-GM

After feedback

Created by: Islesforthecup
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 24, 2022
Published: Jun. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I experimented with some ideas in a different acgm and it worked out. I just wanted to put values in and complete the acgm.
Im also going to make an acgm for the other teams to see how it looks from the other side.
I tried to use the overall direction of what i would do while using specifics of what lou would do. (For example greiss over comrie and wedgewood even though id rather both over TG).

After closer examination of the darcy kuemper trade the WSH 1st is top 10 protected.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
2$800,000
8$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
3$2,500,000
1$1,500,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Puljujärvi, Jesse$3,500,000
2023 2nd round pick
Trades
NYI
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (CBJ)
WPG
  1. Bailey, Josh
Additional Details:
Assuming trotz gets hired by winnipeg. Barry loves bailey and it looks like hes on his way out of NY so its a win win.
NYI
  1. Pacioretty, Max
Additional Details:
They need to clear a ton of cap and pacioretty isnt the shiny toy he once was.
VGK
  1. Bellows, Kieffer [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 5th round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
I wasnt sure about value but in my previous acgm a knights fan told me bellows and a late pick.
NYI
  1. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Top 5 protected. If washington really flops they wont lose out on a potential franchise player. If it is top 5 it becomes an unprotected 2024 1st.
WSH
  1. Varlamov, Semyon
Additional Details:
This might seem a little ambitious but when compared to the kuemper trade the value makes sense. Also its a divisional trade.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,489,963$245,796$1,287,500$10,037
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,150,000$6,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 24, 2022 at 6:58 a.m.
If WSH is willing to give up that firs, I would be surprised if it wasn't top 10 protected, not just top 5.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 8:04 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I like this team
Islesforthecup liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 9:24 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
If WSH is willing to give up that firs, I would be surprised if it wasn't top 10 protected, not just top 5.

So ill be honest youre right. I just looked and in the kuemper trade the pick was top 10 protected. I thought it was unprotected there and the reason i protected it at all here is bc the 22 draft doesnt have the elite franchise level potential that 23 does.
vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
With all of the high end targets out there this summer I really doubt the caps are moving their first for Varlamov. Kuemper returned so much because 1) he was AZ's starting goalie and they didn't have any cap crunch whatsoever and 2) COL was left holding the bag with Grubauer and had literally no other option. I would be surprised if Varlamov with no retention returned a second, let alone a full first even with top 10 protection.
Kalopsia liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
With all of the high end targets out there this summer I really doubt the caps are moving their first for Varlamov. Kuemper returned so much because 1) he was AZ's starting goalie and they didn't have any cap crunch whatsoever and 2) COL was left holding the bag with Grubauer and had literally no other option. I would be surprised if Varlamov with no retention returned a second, let alone a full first even with top 10 protection.

Varlamov even though he didnt start so many games was still a top 20 goalie last year. He led his team to back to back ECFs the 2 years before that. I dont think starting goalie has much to do with it.
You talk about ARI not having a cap crunch, neither do the isles. They have 12m in cap space with only dobson to sign and a LD2.
Grubauer left and COL had no other options, if husso signs somewhere else (say NJD or EDM) WSHs pretty much out of options as well.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: Islesforthecup
Varlamov even though he didnt start so many games was still a top 20 goalie last year. He led his team to back to back ECFs the 2 years before that. I dont think starting goalie has much to do with it.
You talk about ARI not having a cap crunch, neither do the isles. They have 12m in cap space with only dobson to sign and a LD2.
Grubauer left and COL had no other options, if husso signs somewhere else (say NJD or EDM) WSHs pretty much out of options as well.

If they want to pay big money to an older goalie that has been good but not vezina good in a very favorable system they would either throw money at Kuemper in FA or take Bob retained and gain an asset for it. 2c and a top 6w are now even bigger priorities than goalie with the Backstrom and Wilson injuries, so I really doubt they use a first on Varlamov when it could be used on Miller or PLD. If Lou only wants a first thats fine -- have fun paying your backup 5m.
Kalopsia liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.

Husso's not the only other goalie option. Kuemper, Campbell, Fluery, and Holtby are also UFAs, Bobrovsky's definitely available via trade and Gibson, Lehner, Ullmark, Allen, Talbot, and Reimer could all be available as well. Not all of those guys are better than Varly, but only Gibson would likely cost more than you're asking for here. Even if half those guys aren't actually available there's still more than enough options to not need to make a desperation move like the Avs did.
qc14 liked this.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: Kalopsia
Husso's not the only other goalie option. Kuemper, Campbell, Fluery, and Holtby are also UFAs, Bobrovsky's definitely available via trade and Gibson, Lehner, Ullmark, Allen, Talbot, and Reimer could all be available as well. Not all of those guys are better than Varly, but only Gibson would likely cost more than you're asking for here. Even if half those guys aren't actually available there's still more than enough options to not need to make a desperation move like the Avs did.

Ok lets start you named a whole bunch of fringe goalies that once theyre acquiring them theyd be better off keeping VV and sammy. Reimer allen talbot holtby are all in the same class as those 2 (not to mention 3 of them were available last summer too).
Ullmark and bob both have nmcs (and ullmark was available last summer). Lehner makes no sense for VGK to deal. Colorado didnt move a 1st+ to not re-sign kuemper. Fleury is either staying in MIN or going back to PIT. Anaheims gonna want a kings ransom for gibson even though he hasnt been starter material for 3 seasons already. 95% of these options dont make any sense. You just threw in a lot of names to get likes.
Jun. 24, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Ok lets start you named a whole bunch of fringe goalies that once theyre acquiring them theyd be better off keeping VV and sammy. Reimer allen talbot holtby are all in the same class as those 2 (not to mention 3 of them were available last summer too).
Ullmark and bob both have nmcs (and ullmark was available last summer). Lehner makes no sense for VGK to deal. Colorado didnt move a 1st+ to not re-sign kuemper. Fleury is either staying in MIN or going back to PIT. Anaheims gonna want a kings ransom for gibson even though he hasnt been starter material for 3 seasons already. 95% of these options dont make any sense. You just threw in a lot of names to get likes.

You said the Caps have no other options besides Husso. Those are options. But if you wanna do this, fine.

Quote:
Reimer allen talbot holtby are all in the same class as those 2 (not to mention 3 of them were available last summer too).

Vitek and Sammy combined for a .902 SV% last year. You're underestimating how low the bar is for an improvement. Anyway, those guys are established starters and most importantly, they're cheap, so the Caps could go for more than one. The Caps could trade for Allen and sign Holtby and end up paying roughly the 5M Varlamov makes on his own. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I could see them going that rout and re-investing the savings in the skaters.

I don't know what being available last summer matters. The Caps gambled on going cheap with their young guys and it didn't pay off. MacLellan's said goaltending is a priority this summer, so they're clearly going to change up their strategy.

Quote:
Ullmark and bob both have nmcs (and ullmark was available last summer).

Ullmark signed in Boston to be the starter on a playoff team, and now he's been passed by Swayman and the Bruins are falling apart. Bob's on the verge of being passed by Knight, and he's reportedly best friends with Orlov. If you get to assume Varly isn't blocking a trade to a team that dumped him in the past, I get to assume these guys wouldn't block a trade to DC.

Quote:
Lehner makes no sense for VGK to deal.

Even with Dadonov gone Vegas is still over the cap and needs to dump salary. Could also see Lehner wanting out after the team let DeBoer throw him under the bus.

Quote:
Colorado didnt move a 1st+ to not re-sign kuemper.

We all thought they'd re-sign Grubauer too.

Quote:
Fleury is either staying in MIN or going back to PIT.

Probably, those teams are pretty strapped for cash, so the Caps could offer way more than he'd get on the Wild or Pens. How many millions is loyalty to a former team worth?

Quote:
Anaheims gonna want a kings ransom for gibson even though he hasnt been starter material for 3 seasons already.

Honestly, I hate Gibson as an option and most of the proposals I've seen for him to the Caps make me cringe harder than yours, but the fact remains he's an option.

Quote:
You just threw in a lot of names to get likes.

No, I did it to show that assuming the Isles can squeeze the Caps for Varly cause there aren't other options is stupid. If we get to late July and the last starting caliber goalie signs elsewhere then the Kuemper-to-Colorado comparisons work, but that's a long way away.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 2:27 a.m.
Quoting: Kalopsia
You said the Caps have no other options besides Husso. Those are options. But if you wanna do this, fine.

Quote:
Reimer allen talbot holtby are all in the same class as those 2 (not to mention 3 of them were available last summer too).

Vitek and Sammy combined for a .902 SV% last year. You're underestimating how low the bar is for an improvement. Anyway, those guys are established starters and most importantly, they're cheap, so the Caps could go for more than one. The Caps could trade for Allen and sign Holtby and end up paying roughly the 5M Varlamov makes on his own. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I could see them going that rout and re-investing the savings in the skaters.

I don't know what being available last summer matters. The Caps gambled on going cheap with their young guys and it didn't pay off. MacLellan's said goaltending is a priority this summer, so they're clearly going to change up their strategy.

Quote:
Ullmark and bob both have nmcs (and ullmark was available last summer).

Ullmark signed in Boston to be the starter on a playoff team, and now he's been passed by Swayman and the Bruins are falling apart. Bob's on the verge of being passed by Knight, and he's reportedly best friends with Orlov. If you get to assume Varly isn't blocking a trade to a team that dumped him in the past, I get to assume these guys wouldn't block a trade to DC.

Quote:
Lehner makes no sense for VGK to deal.

Even with Dadonov gone Vegas is still over the cap and needs to dump salary. Could also see Lehner wanting out after the team let DeBoer throw him under the bus.

Quote:
Colorado didnt move a 1st+ to not re-sign kuemper.

We all thought they'd re-sign Grubauer too.

Quote:
Fleury is either staying in MIN or going back to PIT.

Probably, those teams are pretty strapped for cash, so the Caps could offer way more than he'd get on the Wild or Pens. How many millions is loyalty to a former team worth?

Quote:
Anaheims gonna want a kings ransom for gibson even though he hasnt been starter material for 3 seasons already.

Honestly, I hate Gibson as an option and most of the proposals I've seen for him to the Caps make me cringe harder than yours, but the fact remains he's an option.

Quote:
You just threw in a lot of names to get likes.

No, I did it to show that assuming the Isles can squeeze the Caps for Varly cause there aren't other options is stupid. If we get to late July and the last starting caliber goalie signs elsewhere then the Kuemper-to-Colorado comparisons work, but that's a long way away.

Allen hasnt been a starter since like 2018. Holtby hasnt been a starter since WSH, reimer was a backup till this year whenhe took a 1a role and talbot is the only one who was a starter was terrible this year.
Tge reason being available matters is bc i said varly gets a 1st bc of the kuemper deal and was countered with there are way more options this year. So im trying to find all the options this year that werent around last year that would make varlys market worse than kuempers.
Im not assuming anything abiut players waiving. Bob and ullmark have full nmcs so they have to approve any trade. Varlamov has a 16 team ntc so half the teams he has no choice about. Now its been widely reported that all 7 canadien are on his no trade list leaving 24 teams that he could be traded to. He can veto a trade to 9 of them leaving 15 that hed have no choice over. So without pretending i have any idea of what hes thinking or how he feels chances are he wont have a choice in the matter.
Deboer is gone and they have to clear cap but moving their only starting goalie is not the way theyre going to do it.
As for the grubauer/kuemper debate, they didnt move a 1st and a solid prospect for grubauer but they did for kuemper.
I personally dont think youre right that WSH could offer way more than PIT but either way i think its pretty obvious at this point that fleury wants to be in a place that he likes considering hes said that multiple times.
Gibson sure WSH could offer a monster package for a backup caliber goalie in the hopes that he finds his game again but i dont think either affects the others market. Varly is a ahort term solution for a team (1 year with maybe a second contract of 1-2 years). A high level stopgap until the goalie of the future (hopefully) takes over. Gibson is a long term massively underperforming goalie that someone might think can find his game again and become a top 10 goalie for the next half a decade. Its 2 completely different markets and i dont think they really impact each other at all.
I dont think the isles are squeezing the caps. I think its market value for a player like him. Kuemper got similar value to what im proposing. Fleury got a conditional 1st rounder and CHI didnt have full leverage bc they made it clear they were gonna move him where he wanted to go.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll