Forums/Armchair-GM

Move up in Draft

Created by: Spaceman
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2022
Published: Jun. 27, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Flyers have traded their second round picks in both 2022 and 2023 away but regain them for dropping 3 spots from 5th to 8th. Detroit uses the 5th to take David Jiricek. Further building their future Defense. Seider, Jiricek, Edvinsson, Wallinder, McIssac, Johansson, Tuomisto. Loads of young talent on the backend for the next decade.

This trade makes Hronek expendable to be traded away for forward help. Traded to Dallas for Gurianov. Dallas will be in need of replacing Klingberg's lost offence on RD. Hronek is a much cheaper option they could be drawn to. Gurianov is likely value for Hronek.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Jiricek, David
3$925,000
Trades
DET
  1. 2022 1st round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
5th Overall
PHI
  1. 2022 1st round pick (DET)
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (WSH)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
8th Overall. and 2 second rounders. Flyer have traded second round picks in both 2022 and 2023 and regain them for dropping 3 spots.
DET
  1. Gurianov, Denis
Additional Details:
Detroit flips Hronek for a solid forward who's capable of 20 goals per season.
DAL
  1. Hronek, Filip
Additional Details:
Dallas acquires Hronek as a cheaper replacement for Klingberg
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the COL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$82,500,000$41,153,889$0$3,350,000$41,346,111
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,375,000$2,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,900,000$2,900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
Jiricek, David
$925,000$925,000
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Philadelphia should take that offer.
Spaceman, aedoran and B_seka17 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Banned
Way too much to only climb 3 spots, That should get us up to #3 at the very least.
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: TampaBayLightning22
Way too much to only climb 3 spots, That should get us up to #3 at the very least.

That's realistic of what it would cost to move into the top 5. If you want the top 3 you're trading away an impact roster player instead of the 2nd rounders. It would likely be 8th + Vrana for the 3rd. Not interested. They are the Washington and St. Louis picks as well so mid 2nd rounders or later. Detroit has had so many draft picks in the past 4 drafts and they will not have roster spots for all these guys to play. This is now about quality of quantity. Get the player you want vs having 3 you settled on.
aedoran, B_seka17 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
Quoting: Old_Snowman
That's realistic of what it would cost to move into the top 5. If you want the top 3 you're trading away an impact roster player instead of the 2nd rounders. It would likely be 8th + Vrana for the 3rd. Not interested. They are the Washington and St. Louis picks as well so mid 2nd rounders or later. Detroit has had so many draft picks in the past 4 drafts and they will not have roster spots for all these guys to play. This is now about quality of quantity. Get the player you want vs having 3 you settled on.

I think he’s more saying it shouldn’t happen, which I’d agree with especially for a D. I see no issue with the value.

Also I get you are justifying moving Hronek to draft D here, but Hronek has more value as a 2nd pairing offensive D than Gurianov.
aedoran and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:34 p.m.
Jiricek is a RHD and will need time in the minors probably about 2 seasons before makes the NHL and Lindstrom isn't ready for 2nd pair ice time. Kampfer is 33 and he wasn't all that good in his prime. So you bring in Kampfer move Lindstrom to the 2nd pair so you can trade Hronek for Gurianov who scored 20 goals 3 seasons ago and has struggled to hit double digits in goals the last 2 seasons. I don't think these make much sense for Detroit.
Jfstompers and RedWings86 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:36 p.m.
Pop Pop
So I think the values great but if they move up to 5 its because somehow Cooley is still on the board otherwise ill be happy with Gauthier or savoie or whoever we get at 8. If they did get jiricek he isn't NHL ready and I'd hold onto hronek for another season.
RedWings86 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
Quoting: RedWings86
I think he’s more saying it shouldn’t happen, which I’d agree with especially for a D. I see no issue with the value.

Also I get you are justifying moving Hronek to draft D here, but Hronek has more value as a 2nd pairing offensive D than Gurianov.

Based on points alone, yes he does have more value than Gurianov. But when you factor in d zone brain farts Hronek tends to have, usually one a night. His value goes down to a 3rd line forward. I overall like Hronek but I think he's overvalued by Wings fans. Gurianov is a big winger who's good on the forecheck and can score. He was a big part of Dallas 2020 cup final run.

Jiricek will be a much better player than Hronek and a better 2nd pair Defenseman who's actually more like a 1st pair but he's have to overtake Seider on the top pair. If he did that'd be incredible for the Wings. Likely scenario is he'll be similar or slightly less than Seider on the right side. Still could be a top pair right D on most teams one day. Detroit would have Seider + Edvinsson as top pair. Walliner/Johansson + Jiricek on the 2nd pair. That's a hell of a future top 4. No room for Hronek and trading him for a forward is a good option. If Detroit could acquire Stankoven for Hronek I'd be thrilled but I doubt Dallas would let go.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:42 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: aedoran
Jiricek is a RHD and will need time in the minors probably about 2 seasons before makes the NHL and Lindstrom isn't ready for 2nd pair ice time. Kampfer is 33 and he wasn't all that good in his prime. So you bring in Kampfer move Lindstrom to the 2nd pair so you can trade Hronek for Gurianov who scored 20 goals 3 seasons ago and has struggled to hit double digits in goals the last 2 seasons. I don't think these make much sense for Detroit.

I think that the move up makes sense because I see a qualitative difference between the top 6 and the next stratum, but the Hronek trade-away doesn't, Plus, Stevie being the horse trader that he is, I can see him getting at least one low-level draft pick back, just because.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
Based on points alone, yes he does have more value than Gurianov. But when you factor in d zone brain farts Hronek tends to have, usually one a night. His value goes down to a 3rd line forward. I overall like Hronek but I think he's overvalued by Wings fans. Gurianov is a big winger who's good on the forecheck and can score. He was a big part of Dallas 2020 cup final run.

Jiricek will be a much better player than Hronek and a better 2nd pair Defenseman who's actually more like a 1st pair but he's have to overtake Seider on the top pair. If he did that'd be incredible for the Wings. Likely scenario is he'll be similar or slightly less than Seider on the right side. Still could be a top pair right D on most teams one day. Detroit would have Seider + Edvinsson as top pair. Walliner/Johansson + Jiricek on the 2nd pair. That's a hell of a future top 4. No room for Hronek and trading him for a forward is a good option. If Detroit could acquire Stankoven for Hronek I'd be thrilled but I doubt Dallas would let go.

As a 2nd rounder, Hronek is playing above his potential. He is 14th in points in his draft class, only behind 5 other D the likes of which include McAvoy, Serg, Fox, and Chych. Fox is the only one of those listed who’s played less games than Hronek.

Hronek is for sure a defensive liability, I think that changes with a higher quality partner which he has yet to have. But he is for sure worth more than Gurianov. That is a lost trade 1 for 1 and not happening. Even if G was a center.

Jiricek will also not immediately play in the show.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.

Jiricek will not be NHL ready next year. That's fine if he needs 1 or 2 years in the AHL. I think a guy like PK Subban can be signed for 1-2 years on a cheaper deal. Most of the forward UFA's (Forsberg, Trocheck, Niederreiter, Palat, Smith, Kadri, Buravovsky, Rakell) this year are going to want longer terms for too much money. Detroit needs better forwards though. But after drafting a Defenseman, Trading Hronek away for a forward who's cheap and under contract control and then replacing Hronek for a similar offensive output vet on a cheap short term deal is a smart thing to do. Maybe Detroit could swing Hronek for Gurianov + a forward prospect (Bourque?) for Hronek? i picked Dallas as they will be looking to replace Klingberg for a cheap option and Hronek fits the bill. Maybe Detroit can pry Stankoven out of Dallas...would you do the trade then?

I honestly just dont see Hronek as part of the long term future with how Detroit's been drafting D. I'm also not 100% sold on the forward talent in this years draft. I think the Defence guys Nemec and Jiricek are going to be studs. 2023 draft has far better forwards. Detroit will likely suck again and have another top 10 pick. Who knows, maybe they get lottery lucky and get Bedard or Michkov? Even if they aren't lottery lucky, there's so many high quality forwards in 2023 to target and no bonified D guy out there.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:11 p.m.

I think wings fans overvalue Hronek to be honest. He's in Detroit's top 4. That doesn't necessarily mean he should be or is a top 4 Dman.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:22 p.m.
As a 2nd rounder, Hronek is playing above his potential. He is 14th in points in his draft class, only behind 5 other D the likes of which include McAvoy, Serg, Fox, and Chych. Fox is the only one of those listed who’s played less games than Hronek.

Hronek is for sure a defensive liability, I think that changes with a higher quality partner which he has yet to have. But he is for sure worth more than Gurianov. That is a lost trade 1 for 1 and not happening. Even if G was a center.

Jiricek will also not immediately play in the show.

I'm aware Jiricek won't play next year. He's 1-2 years away. That's fine. Replace Hronek's lost offense with PK Subban on a 1 or 2 year deal at 4 million per while we wait for Jiricek to come on RD. PK is another vet, still a gamer for his age. You honestly wouldn't notice much in difference of play between Hronek and Subban. Jiricek though will be a far superior long term solution on RD vs investing in Hronek.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
I'm aware Jiricek won't play next year. He's 1-2 years away. That's fine. Replace Hronek's lost offense with PK Subban on a 1 or 2 year deal at 4 million per while we wait for Jiricek to come on RD. PK is another vet, still a gamer for his age. You honestly wouldn't notice much in difference of play between Hronek and Subban. Jiricek though will be a far superior long term solution on RD vs investing in Hronek.

I don’t even care whether they invest in Hronek or not, I’m just not trading him for Gurianov straight up. That’s a trade L.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
I don’t even care whether they invest in Hronek or not, I’m just not trading him for Gurianov straight up. That’s a trade L.

That's a fair analysis. Detroit could likely get more than just Gurianov.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
Why not just draft a forward at 8 and keep Hronek? Seems like there are a lot of extra steps.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:04 a.m.
Quoting: JhonnyCanuck5
Why not just draft a forward at 8 and keep Hronek? Seems like there are a lot of extra steps.

Because Hronek actually isn’t as great as Wings fans believe and investing in him when a far better RD could be had through the draft isn’t that smart. Hronek does have some good value though so flipping him for forward help where Detroit’s thin would be a good option. Hronek can be replaced by a UFA on a short term deal. Why do all this? I believe most impact UFA forwards available will want long term inflated cap hit contracts and it’s wise to stay away from that. Trade Hronek for forward help that’s on RFA expiry contracts and can be resigned at cheaper value vs overpaying on the UFA market for someone like Rakell or Trocheck.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 6:32 a.m.
To be fair, thats a really well thought out AND fair proposal.

PHI only drops 3 spots, which is probably acceptable given the return. The 2nds are not high round and DET retains their own, but the difference in the top 5-6 in this draft and the next 7-8 guys is fairly huge this year.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
Jiricek will not be NHL ready next year. That's fine if he needs 1 or 2 years in the AHL. I think a guy like PK Subban can be signed for 1-2 years on a cheaper deal. Most of the forward UFA's (Forsberg, Trocheck, Niederreiter, Palat, Smith, Kadri, Buravovsky, Rakell) this year are going to want longer terms for too much money. Detroit needs better forwards though. But after drafting a Defenseman, Trading Hronek away for a forward who's cheap and under contract control and then replacing Hronek for a similar offensive output vet on a cheap short term deal is a smart thing to do. Maybe Detroit could swing Hronek for Gurianov + a forward prospect (Bourque?) for Hronek? i picked Dallas as they will be looking to replace Klingberg for a cheap option and Hronek fits the bill. Maybe Detroit can pry Stankoven out of Dallas...would you do the trade then?

I honestly just dont see Hronek as part of the long term future with how Detroit's been drafting D. I'm also not 100% sold on the forward talent in this years draft. I think the Defence guys Nemec and Jiricek are going to be studs. 2023 draft has far better forwards. Detroit will likely suck again and have another top 10 pick. Who knows, maybe they get lottery lucky and get Bedard or Michkov? Even if they aren't lottery lucky, there's so many high quality forwards in 2023 to target and no bonified D guy out there.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Subban is the last thing a young locker room needs his attitude isn't worth it at all. We save the draft picks and draft Kasper. We aren't a playoff yet there will be free agents next year as well. Recently Hronek has been the most requested Wing in ACGM for a reason there aren't nearly enough good RHDs and while his defense may not be great but putting him with a defensively minded partner is better than trading him for a bottom 6 forward we already have enough Erne's. Moving Hronek to the wing is smarter than trading him for Gurianov. Honestly the only way to get a good young RHD is to draft him and trading one with out a someone who can replace him is just not smart. Thinking you can trade and buy your way out of the end of a rebuild is how you end up in a never ending rebuild. Look at Arizona and Buffalo or the Leafs who are at 50years and can't leave out the Wings who went 42 years. Yzerman has preached patients from day 1. He is doing it the right way by not spending assets when he doesn't need to. Detroit has awful lottery luck and betting on them to get a good lottery pick is like counting on the Mega-Millions to make your mortgage payment. It why for the time being Detroit can't afford to trade multiple picks for one pick. Think about it if Yzerman keeps to his plan so far once the team starts to fall into place he will have a ton of trade capital to trade for that last piece or 2 of the puzzle.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Edited Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Subban is the last thing a young locker room needs his attitude isn't worth it at all. We save the draft picks and draft Kasper. We aren't a playoff yet there will be free agents next year as well. Recently Hronek has been the most requested Wing in ACGM for a reason there aren't nearly enough good RHDs and while his defense may not be great but putting him with a defensively minded partner is better than trading him for a bottom 6 forward we already have enough Erne's. Moving Hronek to the wing is smarter than trading him for Gurianov. Honestly the only way to get a good young RHD is to draft him and trading one with out a someone who can replace him is just not smart. Thinking you can trade and buy your way out of the end of a rebuild is how you end up in a never ending rebuild. Look at Arizona and Buffalo or the Leafs who are at 50years and can't leave out the Wings who went 42 years. Yzerman has preached patients from day 1. He is doing it the right way by not spending assets when he doesn't need to. Detroit has awful lottery luck and betting on them to get a good lottery pick is like counting on the Mega-Millions to make your mortgage payment. It why for the time being Detroit can't afford to trade multiple picks for one pick. Think about it if Yzerman keeps to his plan so far once the team starts to fall into place he will have a ton of trade capital to trade for that last piece or 2 of the puzzle.

I hardly think a guy who won the King Clancy trophy this year has a major attitude problem. Sure, he can be a little cocky sometimes but most of this was always blown way out of proportion because he played in Montreal and was subject to Montreal writers.
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
I hardly think a guy who won the King Clancy trophy this year has a major attitude problem. Sure, he can be a little cocky sometimes but most of this was always blown way out of proportion because he played in Montreal and was subject to Montreal writers.

It just seems every team that acquires him is all excited and less than a season later they are trying to ship him out. Plus with young locker room it doesn't take much to disrupt things. Normally using a fanbase's reaction probably doesn't mean much but when it is every fanbase he has played for maybe there is something to it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll