Forums/Armchair-GM

solid team

Created by: Hullsy09
Team: 2022-23 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2022
Published: Jun. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Buckle up because this is a long one, may only be for the Pitt fans lol. Please read through it if you have the time because I put a lot of thought into it (especially the draft) and am anxious to know what other pitt fans think.

Mike DeFabo said today that he thinks both Letang and Malkin will remain in pitt. This means that both sides will have to meet in the middle so these are the contracts in the middle of where I think the team and player are asking. I think both players should retire, with the club, so this is a team which is competitive while not destroying the future.

I know GMs don't like to offer sheet each other in this league and since it is especially unlikely with a couple older guys like Hextall and Burke this would probably be a trade if we were being realistic, but a 2nd is less compensation then what would be given in a trade. It isn't unrealistic in my opinion that edmonton would be able to match (if keith does not retire) because they are prioritizing yamamoto (per either darren dreger and or ryan rishaug I cant remember which if not both) and this would eat a lot of their cap space.

The motivation behind this team was to acquire puljuarvi (again, it would be through trade realistically) because I think rakell-malkin-puljuarvi would be a very strong and well rounded line in the present while it would also acquire a player who can be a part of the next generation of penguins which we desperately need. Besides that line I didnt really know what the team would look like. The result was this:

*Very solid top 9:
-you know what you are getting from that top line
-second line has already been talked about; it is very good
-third line took some shifts together in the rangers series (albeit with a half-dead version of zucker)) and looked very good. Carter can take key faceoffs but I think rodrigues is a better center once the puck is dropped

*Youthful, fast, and cheap 4th line. Any other AHL player (poulin, puustinen, nylander, hallander ect) who outplays o'connor/zo could replace them.

*Good Dcore (pairings may be different)
-solid top pair. Letang is still elite (finished 7th in norris voting I believe) and dumo is primed for some positive regression after playing through injury most of last year
-two high end second pairing guys but they haven't shown a ton of chemistry together although I feel like they have the potential to be good together if they can click. Marino has a great first pass and matheson has great skating ability, should mean easy breakouts.
-third pair could be high end or low end depending on what we get in POJ. Ruhwedel is a good stay at home guy to let POJ focus on offense. Worst case scenario POJ isn't ready for the NHL and we trade him or send him down. This would leave us with a friedman-ruhwedel pairing which looked satisfactory last year. If this pairing simply isn't cutting it we have a bit of wiggle room in cap space for a TDL trade.

*Very strong goaltending tandem. Elite starter in jarry with a HOF veteran backup in jarry. I would expect a 65-60/35-40 split to keep jarry fresh and drastically reduce chance of injury. Fleury would hold the backup spot until gauthier/lindberg/blomqvist is ready.

The addition of puljuarvi, bringing back rakell, a healthy (if all things go well) zucker, and some faster younger 4th liners in zohorna (obvioulsy not fast like Johnny Gaudreau is fast, but he can move well for a big guy) and O'connor make this team a bit closer to the colorado model of overwhelmiong speed. OBVIOUSLY not on their level, but a bit closer nonetheless.

Lastly, what to do with the first round pick, which we have kept in this scenario. There are a few scenarios.

1. There are a few high risk, high reward players available. The four that I am referring to are brad lambert, denton mateychuk, ivan miroshnichenko, and danilla yurov.
-lambert is highly touted due to his high skill level and big name, but he has received criticism for his poor season and alleged (some say this) lack of compete.
-Denton mateychuk is an excellent skater, but he is an undersized dman at 5"10.5-5"11. Some do not think he will be able to affectively defend at the next level, and with taller defenseman available in the same tier (bischell, korchinski, mintyukov) he may slip
-Miroshnichenko was touted as a top 5 talent coming into the year then got off to a cold start before getting diagnosed with cancer. He has been cleared to resume training but nobody knows how he will rebound from the cancer and lost development, He is also russian which is a factor.
-Yurov is kind of a wild card. Some see him as a top 10 talent, but there are similar players (scoring wingers) who are all a bit better than him in the eyes of some scouts (letteramaki, kemell, savoie who will prob be a winger at the NHL level). The fact that there are similar style players who may edge him out a bit, couple with the possibility that some dmen may go higher than expected (per scott wheeler) and yurov could slip. The russian factor could cause him to slip further. A nice bonus is that he is from the same hometown as malkin,

Some of these players are very unlikely to be available but I think there is a decent chance one of them is available and I think we should select them if that is the case. We are in a position where we have so many needs in our prospect pool where we should be taking risks. It is like when motivational speakers say you should be taking all kinds of risks in your 20s because you can avoid to take them, as you can make safer choices later in life if they do not work out (Gary Vee lol). We have a rebuild coming, but it is still a few years out and I think this is a time where we can take risks as we are still a ways out from picking top 10 and we are able to take high upside risks. If these work out, these players could be extremely valuable while playing on an ELC in the 87-71-58 era.

2. This is no time to waste our pick on some scrub that we don't like though. We should do everything in our power to make sure we get the guy Hextall has circled on his clipboard. Whether this means trading up to 17, trading down to 29. Whatever it is. Get the guy we like. Be aggressive.

3. So what happens if none of those 4 drop, and no other crazy players drop. I would be very happy with Rutger McGroarty at 21. First of all, incredible name, bravo. As for the player, he is physically mature and has goal scoring pedigree, he has a high compete level and is a leader. He is a great player. Only problem is he is a winger, and Pittsburgh's two weakest positions are centers and D (the most important positions) in terms of prospects. However, our prospect pool is so weak that we dont have the luxury of drafting for position. An anonymous NHL source who did a mock draft with the Athletics Corey Pronman stated (and I agree) that McGroarty would be a player that could contribute as a goal scoring winger sooner rather than later on an elc. Not next year but maybe the year after. If the team wanted to play it safe, I would not be too upset if we picked McGroarty over one of the 4 high risk high reward players.

4. Other guys I don't hate (these players range in how much I like them, but are in no particular order) include Nathan Gaucher, Jiri Kulich, Noah Ostlund, Ryan Chesley, Jimmy Snuggerud, Isaac Howard and Liam Ohgren.

Two Notes about the draft:
*Frank Nazar is a guy who I didnt mention because he probably isnt available at 21. But there are some polarizing opinions on him and there are a lot of people that have him ranked in the late teens. It isn't impossible he falls and I would be very happy with him. Probably a touch below mcgroarty but above the other guys listed in 4.
* IN the mock draft I mentioned with the anonymous NHL source and Corey Pronman, where they alternated picks (great read), lambert went #16, Yurov went #17, Miro went #19, and Mateychuk went #24. This is a perfect example of how one falls, just the way the draft flows and what each team needs, even though it is completely reasonable to rank them all in the top 20 it is also completely reasonable to think there is a realistic chance that one of them falls.

Overall, I think this team would be a contender but not a favourite. By this I mean they would have a realistic chance to win the cup but there would be multiple teams with a greater chance - probably close to as good as you can get without selling the farm. Without trading a first or any top prospects, or marino. Also without trading zucker which I think probably doesnt happen due to his family situation (not trading zucker may be a risk worth taking in many ways, since he only has 1 year left). And without making 7 trades lol. If we were to push this team to the category of a strong contender to low-end favourite (kinda like the tier calgary was in this year, also kinda where carolina was) it would probably involve trading marino and or the first which isnt out of the question but I didnt do it for this one.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
5$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
4$4,150,000
4$7,750,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Puljujärvi, Jesse$3,750,000
2023 2nd round pick
Trades
PIT
    traded out for best value (both have positive value imo)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$79,166,667$0$0$3,333,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 6
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,125,000$3,125,000
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:21 a.m.
    Grant
    Holy… I’d wish they draft miroschichenko or nazar if available but I think rutger might be the way to go in all likelyness
    Hullsy09 liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:43 a.m.
    I like it. Maybe you could've got something for Kapanen also.
    Hullsy09 liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:58 a.m.
    Quoting: mike384
    I like it. Maybe you could've got something for Kapanen also.

Yes. And Heinen. I just didn’t get that far
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:09 a.m.
    Quoting: Bigpapi
    Holy… I’d wish they draft miroschichenko or nazar if available but I think rutger might be the way to go in all likelyness

Let’s break this down into stats. Let’s assign a percentage value that each of the 5 players in question (Mateychuk, miroshnichenko, yurov, Nazar, and lambert) are available at 21. I am not going to actually come up with a value for each, but just for the sake of the exercise let’s assume the average of these 5 percentage values (the chance of each player being available) is 25%, so this means the chance of any one of these players being available is 25%. This also means that chance of anyone player being already taken is 75%. BUT this latter number is the more important, because we only want one of the 5. We want to find the percentage odds for one of them being available, because it doesn’t matter which all 5 would be tremendous value at 21. So since there is a 75% that any one player is already taken, and we want to find the odds of only one being available ( ie the odds of not all of them being taken), we can do 0.75^5 (or 0.75X0.75X0.75X0.75X0.75). This value is the chance that all the 5 players are already taken and it is equal to 0.2373046875. Once we round it and turn it to a percent this is 24%. So there is a 24% chance of them all being gone, and a 76% chance on at least one of them being available.

Assuming the average probablility of any one of Nazar, Mateychuk, miroshnichenko, yurov, or lambert being available is 25%, I really don’t hate the 76% chance that we land one of them.
    Bigpapi liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:10 a.m.
    I agree with a lot of what you have here. I might not be in the majority here but I am not a fan of bringing back Erod. A little because of his bonehead play in the playoffs but mainly due to how bad he fell off after his crazy start. Additionally I rather give a 3rd line wing spot to one of the rookies (Puustinen, Poulin, Nylander). I don't know how much more realistic it might be to pair that 2nd in that QO with Kap or Heinen for JP but either way he makes sense to target. I am in agreement that they should not play the draft safe and should take a chance on a boom or bust type prospect (ideally a center or dman) unless a high end winger falls to them. Really well thought out post
    Hullsy09 and Pens3lieve liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:14 a.m.
    Quoting: Mikescott22
    I agree with a lot of what you have here. I might not be in the majority here but I am not a fan of bringing back Erod. A little because of his bonehead play in the playoffs but mainly due to how bad he fell off after his crazy start. Additionally I rather give a 3rd line wing spot to one of the rookies (Puustinen, Poulin, Nylander). I don't know how much more realistic it might be to pair that 2nd in that QO with Kap or Heinen for JP but either way he makes sense to target. I am in agreement that they should not play the draft safe and should take a chance on a boom or bust type prospect (ideally a center or dman) unless a high end winger falls to them. Really well thought out post

I am assuming you are referring to the interference penalty he took as the “bonehead play”, but I don’t even think it was a penalty. It initially looks like he caught him up high, but once you see the replay he didn’t and Lindgren just got outmuscled and fell. The great one, 99 also agreed with this statement on TNT and said it was a bad call.

I feel like he could get a bit closer to his crazy start than he did in the second half if he played Center which is his natural position. I also think carter should be moved to wing so it is kind of a win win positional swap.

I don’t hate giving a third line wing spot to a rookie because it allows you to go big game hunting elsewhere.

Thanks!
    Mikescott22 liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:27 a.m.
    Quoting: Hullsy09
    I am assuming you are referring to the interference penalty he took as the “bonehead play”, but I don’t even think it was a penalty. It initially looks like he caught him up high, but once you see the replay he didn’t and Lindgren just got outmuscled and fell. The great one, 99 also agreed with this statement on TNT and said it was a bad call.

I feel like he could get a bit closer to his crazy start than he did in the second half if he played Center which is his natural position. I also think carter should be moved to wing so it is kind of a win win positional swap.

I don’t hate giving a third line wing spot to a rookie because it allows you to go big game hunting elsewhere.

Thanks!

Erod is definitely more productive at center but the 3c role has more defensive responsibilities (especially in the pens org). I do not remember off the top of my head but I feel like at the start of the season when Erod was a top 6 center he was not having as many dzone starts and receiving easier match up assignments as he would have if he was the 3c. I also think Malkin's contract will be a little bit more than 6.5. If that is the case not bringing back Erod is probably how the pens get that extra mil or half a mil. I am curious, have you posted a mock draft?
    Hullsy09 liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:37 a.m.
    Erod is definitely more productive at center but the 3c role has more defensive responsibilities (especially in the pens org). I do not remember off the top of my head but I feel like at the start of the season when Erod was a top 6 center he was not having as many dzone starts and receiving easier match up assignments as he would have if he was the 3c. I also think Malkin's contract will be a little bit more than 6.5. If that is the case not bringing back Erod is probably how the pens get that extra mil or half a mil. I am curious, have you posted a mock draft?

I think Pitt is asking for 6 and Malkin is asking for 7 so I just met in the middle but maybe Malkin is asking for 7.5 so it could be a bit more.

Erod played a little bit of PK in the playoffs, I remember him most notably scoring that backhand breakaway goal on the PK. Maybe he has more defensive potential than we realize? Last year was really his coming out party and with such high highs and low lows it is hard to know what the player really is and what else he has to bring. All things considered one year is a pretty small sample size even if it was all good or all bad.

I have not made a whole mock but I have a pretty decent idea of where I could see most players inside the top 35 ish going
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 5:49 a.m.
    I'm from Moose Jaw. I've seen Mateychuk play live many times. I will say this, with the exception of Brayden Point. I cant remember a better player in my lifetime. I'm not one to call certain hometown guys elite because of my bias either. I was quick to call Brett Howden a bad pick in the first round cause I'd seen him play live enough to know. Same with Brayden Tracey (however the jury is still out on him cause he is young). I will say this. Mateychuk should be a top 15 pick, at least. He is the best Moose Jaw warrior i have ever seen, if he slides to 21 and we grab him I will literally scream with Joy. He is a left handed kris letang I promise you. His questions about defending ability are non-existent to me. I watched him absolutely shutdown Connor Geekie and Matty Savoie every time they were on the ice with him, yes I know Winnipeg won that playoff series but I promise you, those two "elite" guys were never effective when Mateychuk was on them.
    Hullsy09 and Pens3lieve liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 6:52 a.m.
    Quoting: Jukesy
    I'm from Moose Jaw. I've seen Mateychuk play live many times. I will say this, with the exception of Brayden Point. I cant remember a better player in my lifetime. I'm not one to call certain hometown guys elite because of my bias either. I was quick to call Brett Howden a bad pick in the first round cause I'd seen him play live enough to know. Same with Brayden Tracey (however the jury is still out on him cause he is young). I will say this. Mateychuk should be a top 15 pick, at least. He is the best Moose Jaw warrior i have ever seen, if he slides to 21 and we grab him I will literally scream with Joy. He is a left handed kris letang I promise you. His questions about defending ability are non-existent to me. I watched him absolutely shutdown Connor Geekie and Matty Savoie every time they were on the ice with him, yes I know Winnipeg won that playoff series but I promise you, those two "elite" guys were never effective when Mateychuk was on them.

I feel the same way about Mateychuk. Kid is a stud
    Jukesy liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 9:23 a.m.

I think it depends on what the cost of Erod is. If $2mil gets him - it would be extremely difficult to say no. He's not perfect(slow 2nd half, one bad penalty in game 6 lol), but a guy who can play center and wing on all 4 lines and put up 40+points is a damn good deal for $2mil. If someone decides to overpay him though you gotta let him walk.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
    Hockey IQ

Thanks!

Quoting: JSEB93
    I think it depends on what the cost of Erod is. If $2mil gets him - it would be extremely difficult to say no. He's not perfect(slow 2nd half, one bad penalty in game 6 lol), but a guy who can play center and wing on all 4 lines and put up 40+points is a damn good deal for $2mil. If someone decides to overpay him though you gotta let him walk.

If Erod will resign for a 1 year (probe last year wasn’t a fluke deal) then I’m ok with it for like 2M…

But I think he probably has priced himself out… PIT would be better off giving 4th line duties to the kids or some low risk bounce back candidates… buy low on some guys if you can hextall… he’s done rlly well with that so far hopefully his luck keeps going…
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
    Quoting: Pens3lieve
    If Erod will resign for a 1 year (probe last year wasn’t a fluke deal) then I’m ok with it for like 2M…

But I think he probably has priced himself out… PIT would be better off giving 4th line duties to the kids or some low risk bounce back candidates… buy low on some guys if you can hextall… he’s done rlly well with that so far hopefully his luck keeps going…

With the recent reports I am not too impressed with Hextall at the moment. No one in FA would be able to replace Letang in my opinion.
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.
    With the recent reports I am not too impressed with Hextall at the moment. No one in FA would be able to replace Letang in my opinion.

Recent reports say he is prioritizing Letang over Malkin, so idk what you mean by that
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
    Recent reports say he is prioritizing Letang over Malkin, so idk what you mean by that

Article came out on the athletic today talking about Hextall is being stingy with Malkin and Letang. Losing one of Geno or Letang will be a real hard pill to swallow. Losing both is not acceptable in my opinion.
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
    Article came out on the athletic today talking about Hextall is being stingy with Malkin and Letang. Losing one of Geno or Letang will be a real hard pill to swallow. Losing both is not acceptable in my opinion.

I read the article, i think you misinterpreted it. What I got from the article is that geno is probably gone and Letang is probably coming back
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
    I read the article, i think you misinterpreted it. What I got from the article is that geno is probably gone and Letang is probably coming back

Ya its just tough because if that Carter extension means the pens don't get to keep Geno when you could possibly bring in someone like an Erod or whoever to play 3c. Hextall not providing a written plan to the owners is weird, no talks/no news with Rakell is disappointing (but I can understand it cause the priority should be on Geno and Letang). Just not very confident in Hextall because the team that you made here seems like a realistic option but I don't know Hextall is capable of that (hopefully I am wrong).
    Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Ya its just tough because if that Carter extension means the pens don't get to keep Geno when you could possibly bring in someone like an Erod or whoever to play 3c. Hextall not providing a written plan to the owners is weird, no talks/no news with Rakell is disappointing (but I can understand it cause the priority should be on Geno and Letang). Just not very confident in Hextall because the team that you made here seems like a realistic option but I don't know Hextall is capable of that (hopefully I am wrong).

To try and make you see the bright side a bit more, Hextall not having a written plan right away was super weird.m, but he has presented a written plan since then and since he is still the gm FSG must have liked the plan. FSG are not stupid and they want to win, so what Hextall told them must be in line with their values. That is encouraging to me despite some of the other errors he has made.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll