Forums/Armchair-GM

Same goal Different Strategy

Created by: Sagecoll
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 17, 2022
Published: Jun. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
General Concept: In spite of advancing well into the playoffs primarily on the back of elite goaltending and special teams (Similar to the mid 2010's AV run squads), Rangers 5v5 play was very poor. They were bottom 5 in the league in several 5v5 metrics measuring possession scoring chances, etc.

From the data tracking and video tape it became clear that most of the problems were starting from the back end and in transition. NYR were one of the worst in the league at conceding the blue line, had the 2nd most zone clears in the league, and were towards the bottom of the league in terms of exiting the zone with control and entering the offensive zone with control.
In practice, what that looks like (which should be all too familiar to Ranger fans) is the opposition easily getting into our zone, firing off a bunch of shots, Igor doing heroic work to keep them out of our goal, and a dman chipping the puck out to center for the same thing to happen all over again.
The fix is pretty simple tbh, revamp the back end to feature Dmen who can handle the puck under pressure and move it with control. As well as replacing the bottom 6 with players who can also control the puck effectively while doing all the stuff you'd expect a 4th line to do. I think this roster accomplishes that.

Trade Rationale:
1) Lindgren and Sanheim with extension value is pretty comparable. Lindgren also fits the Torts mold a bit better. Goodrow vs. Laughton is also pretty close, Laughton brings a bit more offensively. Goodrow brings more flexibility in the lineup and positionally, he's been healthier and has considerably more playoff experience. Reaves evens out the edges.
2) Buffalo needs some goaltending, Georgiev's record as a starter is very impressive. This avoids the need for a big swing on a UFA goaltender that almost never works out. Cost avoids any significant draft picks or prospects for Buffalo. Mutually beneficial.
3, Arizona avoids a large portion of Schmaltz's heavily back loaded contract and gets a better D prospect than they'd get for just about anyone not named Chychrun. They open up even more cap space so ownership can take on more dead weight for their never ending tank.
4. Trouba goes back to the midwest and Burke/Hexstall gets the big all situations Dman they crave. Price is actually a bit below market value -> This is less than what Risto got. Seattle takes on less than a mil in retention to go get what for them is a top 6 winger. Pitt still has enough cap left at that point to keep at least one of Tang/Malkin if not both.
5. Chicago avoids having to send a sweetener to take Toews and nets a 2nd and Blais who slides into their 3rd line in the process. This is a bit more than what Keith got. Additional picks and stuff to make cap work.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,450,000
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
1$1,250,000
3$2,850,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Laughton, Scott
  2. Sanheim, Travis
Additional Details:
Sanheim signs ~5.5mil x 6 extension.
NYR
  1. Asplund, Rasmus
  2. 2022 4th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar [RFA Rights]
NYR
  1. Schmaltz, Nick ($1,850,000 retained)
ARI
  1. Schneider, Braden
  2. 2022 4th round pick (BUF)
NYR
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi [RFA Rights]
  2. 2022 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
3way Deal:

NYR gets: Pit 1st + Will Borgen
Pitt gets: Trouba (750k retained by Seattle)
Seattle gets: Kapanen
NYR
  1. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Blais, Samuel
  2. Nemeth, Patrik
  3. 2023 6th round pick (WPG)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,024,802$0$4,100,000$3,475,198

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$2,450,000$2,450,000
RW
RFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$825,000$825,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,675,000$4,675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
Buffalo doesn't even look at the phone
wojme, mac11_716, Shibbal18 and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
Easy decline from the sabres. "Georgiev's record as a starter is very impressive" but his stats aren't.
Bond007, Shibbal18, sabres89 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Funksoljah
Georgievs record is far from impressive, and treating Asplund like a toss in is silly. Asplund is an important player for the Sabres and is one of their best defensive forwards, they won't deal him for a goalie who wasn't much better than the 6 others they had to play this past season. Asplund is more valuable to Buffalo than to another team.
Bond007, Shibbal18, wojme and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.
who? what?
Philly is definitely out on this. I get the Laughton/Goodrow comparison. No way Lindgren and Reaves equals Sanheim.
Farabee liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: Funksoljah
Georgievs record is far from impressive, and treating Asplund like a toss in is silly. Asplund is an important player for the Sabres and is one of their best defensive forwards, they won't deal him for a goalie who wasn't much better than the 6 others they had to play this past season. Asplund is more valuable to Buffalo than to another team.

If he was a toss in, the pick would be a 2nd. Again, as a starter (under 4 days rest) Georgiev's numbers were pretty great and have been any time he's in that scenario for his entire career. Asplund's no throw in, but to act like Georgiev doesn't immediately slot into #1 on the depth chart displays a lack of understanding of the position.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: smkruzik
Philly is definitely out on this. I get the Laughton/Goodrow comparison. No way Lindgren and Reaves equals Sanheim.

Lindgren and Sanheim value around the league is honestly pretty comparable. Lindgren having 2 years of being cost controlled as an RFA while Sanheim is essentially a rental takes away any disparity there is in value.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
Funksoljah
Quoting: Sagecoll
If he was a toss in, the pick would be a 2nd. Again, as a starter (under 4 days rest) Georgiev's numbers were pretty great and have been any time he's in that scenario for his entire career. Asplund's no throw in, but to act like Georgiev doesn't immediately slot into #1 on the depth chart displays a lack of understanding of the position.

Buffalo has 3 very young highly touted goalies in the system right now in UPL, Levi and Portillo. They are looking at probably platooning UPL in the next season or 2 with another goalie who can be a mentor until Levi or Portillo are ready to make the jump to the NHL. This means they need a bridge starter and eventual 1B for a few years based upon the comments Kevyn Adams has made about not having roadblocks. Georgiev does not fill that need for the Sabres. Sounds like you have a lack of understanding of the position from the Sabres perspective.
wojme, sabres89 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
Flyers easily decline this.
Farabee liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: Funksoljah
Buffalo has 3 very young highly touted goalies in the system right now in UPL, Levi and Portillo. They are looking at probably platooning UPL in the next season or 2 with another goalie who can be a mentor until Levi or Portillo are ready to make the jump to the NHL. This means they need a bridge starter and eventual 1B for a few years based upon the comments Kevyn Adams has made about not having roadblocks. Georgiev does not fill that need for the Sabres. Sounds like you have a lack of understanding of the position from the Sabres perspective.

I can't really think of a better player to be a bridge starter/ 1B than Georgiev. Campbell / Husso / Kuemper will all demand significant long term cap commitments (5+ mil x 5+ years). Fleury behind a similar development roster in Chicago put up the same numbers as Tokarski - so unless this is a tanking year and UPL is making 60 starts after next season that's not an option. And every other UFA goaltender has less and worse experience than Georgiev. He's kinda the perfect option for you.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
I can't really think of a better player to be a bridge starter/ 1B than Georgiev. Campbell / Husso / Kuemper will all demand significant long term cap commitments (5+ mil x 5+ years). Fleury behind a similar development roster in Chicago put up the same numbers as Tokarski - so unless this is a tanking year and UPL is making 60 starts after next season that's not an option. And every other UFA goaltender has less and worse experience than Georgiev. He's kinda the perfect option for you.

Do you have actual numbers/link to numbers that prove Georgiev is good with less than 4 days rest? It just sounds like a cherry picked stat. All the goaltending analytics say he's not very good. Why would the Sabres take the risk? Better yet, why would they trade a guy who was a top 5 defensive forward, an archetype they desperately need more of, for what is at best a massive risk based on limited data that allegedly says he's good with less than 4 days rest?
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Shibbal18
Asplund is worth 4x what Georgiev is worth. hard pass
wojme liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Shibbal18

Georgiev is not a number 1 goalie in the NHL
wojme and sabres89 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Quoting: Stadel
Do you have actual numbers/link to numbers that prove Georgiev is good with less than 4 days rest? It just sounds like a cherry picked stat. All the goaltending analytics say he's not very good. Why would the Sabres take the risk? Better yet, why would they trade a guy who was a top 5 defensive forward, an archetype they desperately need more of, for what is at best a massive risk based on limited data that allegedly says he's good with less than 4 days rest?

I gotta dig around where I find it. Feel free to scope out his game logs / GSAx numbers if you like. But he does seem to have a less risky track records than other non-starters. 120+ GP almost all while under age 26 with a positive GSAx dwarfs most of the competition. I think there's like less than 25 goalies in the past 15 years with those kind of metrics. And the track record of former Benoit Allaire goalies is pretty stellar between Raanta and Talbot.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Flyers would need much much more to accept that. Only interesting piece is Lindgren, and Sanheim's better anyways
sk540 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
I gotta dig around where I find it. Feel free to scope out his game logs / GSAx numbers if you like. But he does seem to have a less risky track records than other non-starters. 120+ GP almost all while under age 26 with a positive GSAx dwarfs most of the competition. I think there's like less than 25 goalies in the past 15 years with those kind of metrics. And the track record of former Benoit Allaire goalies is pretty stellar between Raanta and Talbot.

His 5v5 GSAx this year was -6.8

20-21: -7.2

19-20: -0.1

So idk where you got positive gsax from. This doesn't strike me as a less risky option. Certainly not a sure enough bet for the Sabres to move assets. Unless its a legit long term solution where the reward out weighs the risk, they're just gunna sign someone for a year or two and wait on UPL, Levi and maybe whoever they draft this year. Or just wait a year or two till they're in a position to trade for a legit starter.

Edit: I searched on twitter and found a tweet for an 11 game sample this year where georgiev was a starter and the numbers were good. Aside from the fact that only 4 of those games were against playoff teams, I could probably find an 11 game sample where craig anderson looks like a vezina candidate. Its just not enough to go on to move assets for Georgiev. Definitely not someone like Asplund either, thats the part most sabres fans will have an issue with.
wojme and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
His 5v5 GSAx this year was -6.8

20-21: -7.2

19-20: -0.1

So idk where you got positive gsax from. This doesn't strike me as a less risky option. Certainly not a sure enough bet for the Sabres to move assets. Unless its a legit long term solution where the reward out weighs the risk, they're just gunna sign someone for a year or two and wait on UPL, Levi and maybe whoever they draft this year. Or just wait a year or two till they're in a position to trade for a legit starter.

Edit: I searched on twitter and found a tweet for an 11 game sample this year where georgiev was a starter and the numbers were good. Aside from the fact that only 4 of those games were against playoff teams, I could probably find an 11 game sample where craig anderson looks like a vezina candidate. Its just not enough to go on to move assets for Georgiev. Definitely not someone like Asplund either, thats the part most sabres fans will have an issue with.

Why would you isolate 5v5 when talking about GSAx? We do that with skaters to account for differences in deployment but not with goaltenders... The number is all strengths.

I understand Asplund is pretty prized and if the preference is to send a 2nd that's fine too!
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
Why would you isolate 5v5 when talking about GSAx? We do that with skaters to account for differences in deployment but not with goaltenders... The number is all strengths.

I understand Asplund is pretty prized and if the preference is to send a 2nd that's fine too!

Because the majority of the game is played at 5v5? what do i care if georgiev is great 3v3 if we can never get there cause he's swiss cheese throughout 90% of regulation?

Edit: lol i just checked and actually those numbers are all situations, not 5v5

5v5 numbers:

21-22: +0.8

20-21: -5.7

19-20: -0.3

So better than all situations, but still kinda *ss . Bottom line, this isn't without major risk and not the kind of goalie a smart team will send a second rounder for.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: Xertalz
Flyers would need much much more to accept that. Only interesting piece is Lindgren, and Sanheim's better anyways

So we have a pretty even swap between Goodrow and Laughton. And we have an interesting piece in Lindgren who is totally cost controlled while Sanheim is a rental and the Rangers are adding.

Sounds pretty even to the rest of us!
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
So we have a pretty even swap between Goodrow and Laughton. And we have an interesting piece in Lindgren who is totally cost controlled while Sanheim is a rental and the Rangers are adding.

Goodrow and Laughton are absolutely not even. Laughton's younger, cheaper, and scores at a better rate on a worse team.
Ryan Reaves doesn't count as adding. He's not worth anything.
sk540 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.

Wait is this for real? I thought this was a troll post. Sanheim is = to Lindgren because of contracts? I gotta get off this site. Why would you want Sanheim if Lindgren is so good and cost controlled? Doesn’t NYR have as many issues with the cap as PHI?
sk540 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
Because the majority of the game is played at 5v5? what do i care if georgiev is great 3v3 if we can never get there cause he's swiss cheese throughout 90% of regulation?

Right but that doesn't control for anything... A goalie plays the entire game. Why would you break it down by game state? I mean a goalie who's above average at 5v5 but well below average on the PK isn't any better than the inverse. Goals are allowed and xGA occurs at a rate of 3:1 on the PK vs. 5v5 play.

Obviously it makes sense for a skater because special teams schemes and deployments vary from team to team and don't have statistical reliability on the individual level. But that's not the case with goalies.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Right but that doesn't control for anything... A goalie plays the entire game. Why would you break it down by game state? I mean a goalie who's above average at 5v5 but well below average on the PK isn't any better than the inverse. Goals are allowed and xGA occurs at a rate of 3:1 on the PK vs. 5v5 play.

Obviously it makes sense for a skater because special teams schemes and deployments vary from team to team and don't have statistical reliability on the individual level. But that's not the case with goalies.

Check my edit to the post you replied to lol. His all situation numbers are worse than his 5v5.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
Quoting: radtad
Wait is this for real? I thought this was a troll post. Sanheim is = to Lindgren because of contracts? I gotta get off this site. Why would you want Sanheim if Lindgren is so good and cost controlled? Doesn’t NYR have as many issues with the cap as PHI?

Different type of player. We need a bit more dynamic puck movement and we concede the blue line continuously almost by design. Lindgren's a much better blue line defender and more conservative puck mover. Samheim's worse in his own zone and a bit riskier with the puck. Both of those things favor Lindgren in a Torts style system where risky play gets you benched and blue line defense is stressed.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: Xertalz
Goodrow and Laughton are absolutely not even. Laughton's younger, cheaper, and scores at a better rate on a worse team.
Ryan Reaves doesn't count as adding. He's not worth anything.

Stretching the dollar pretty far there. Difference in cap is less then the league minimum, age difference is one year. Laughton's injury history honestly puts a damper on both of those. And the only scoring he's doing at a better rate is on secondary assists simply by being on the ice with Konecny and JVR and Lindblom as opposed to say Kevin Rooney.

They're pretty close.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
Stretching the dollar pretty far there. Difference in cap is less then the league minimum, age difference is one year. Laughton's injury history honestly puts a damper on both of those. And the only scoring he's doing at a better rate is on secondary assists simply by being on the ice with Konecny and JVR and Lindblom as opposed to say Kevin Rooney.

They're pretty close.

If they're that close, just keep Goodrow then.
A one-for-one swap of Lindgren for Sanheim makes more sense anyways, although the Flyers would likely decline it
smkruzik and sk540 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll