Forums/Armchair-GM

Forget about Kane

Created by: RWellington
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2022
Published: Jun. 29, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is still without a doubt a flawed team however I expect/hope Holland can make a few in season deals to improve his team.
Couple Ideas for In-Season move:
1. Foegele + traded to OTT for Connor Brown (w/ retained salary)
2. James Reimer or Cam Talbot IF the Skinner/Holtby duo is not strong enough
3. Keith traded or LTIR, he is likely going to start the season however if he struggles EDM will need to address that position asap. COL showed how important defensive depth is this playoffs, so if Keith is not able to play solid 3rd pair minutes then Holland will need to free themselves of Keith in order to address the short comings of that LHD position.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
1$2,250,000
2$2,800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
2$1,250,000
1$2,000,000
3$2,850,000
1$1,000,000
1$900,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (SEA)
EDM
  1. 2022 1st round pick (COL)
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
Picks #32 & #66?
ARI
  1. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Pick #29
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$81,594,462$896,000$2,200,000$905,538
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RW
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 29, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
I'm against moving Barrie but outside of that I like this.
RWellington liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 12:07 p.m.
RW90
Quoting: Timmah007
I'm against moving Barrie but outside of that I like this.

If EDM were able to move Keith's money I would keep Barrie & replace Keith with a Veteran LHD (Edler, Cole, Staal).
In a 3rd pair role with Kulak Barrie showed very well in the playoffs.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
Seattle is not trading 35 OA, or any picks for that matter, to acquire Tyson Barrie . . . none from this year's draft, anyhow. (Doubtful from next season's draft, either!) Draft picks are more important to the Kraken franchise than any other team in the league, currently. Furthermore, free agent period falls AFTER the draft. Kraken will take a stab at Klingberg and others before even considering a trade for Tyson Barrie. (for all the times EDM fans want to propose this trade, I'm happy to paste why it's not happening!)
Jun. 29, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: RWellington
If EDM were able to move Keith's money I would keep Barrie & replace Keith with a Veteran LHD (Edler, Cole, Staal).
In a 3rd pair role with Kulak Barrie showed very well in the playoffs.

Personally was my favorite pairing threw the playoffs.
In the two years Barrie has been here I've noticed a wild change in his game and his playoff performances I have zero complaints about both years he brought his game to the level team needed from him. I don't think he was on the third pair as a reflection of his play had more to do with a balance among the pairings to be able to roll them out there.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
Quoting: Quillanrocks
Seattle is not trading 35 OA, or any picks for that matter, to acquire Tyson Barrie . . . none from this year's draft, anyhow. (Doubtful from next season's draft, either!) Draft picks are more important to the Kraken franchise than any other team in the league, currently. Furthermore, free agent period falls AFTER the draft. Kraken will take a stab at Klingberg and others before even considering a trade for Tyson Barrie. (for all the times EDM fans want to propose this trade, I'm happy to paste why it's not happening!)

If Seattle is considering taking a run at Klingberg then why won't they want Barrie who is cheaper better and less of a commitment? Kinda an all around win isn't it?
RWellington liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
If Seattle is considering taking a run at Klingberg then why won't they want Barrie who is cheaper better and less of a commitment? Kinda an all around win isn't it?

Barrie is better, is he? Hmm. Okay. Regardless, I just think Seattle will maximize what they do in the draft, only trade picks to move up and pick higher or to acquire young players/prospects that truly move the needle for the franchise. All those 2nd rounders everyone trades for on here I think are capital that Francis hopes to utilize to acquire another 1st round pick. Next year, also.

Do you honestly think that Seattle would trade their second highest draft pick this year for Tyson Barrie??!!
Jun. 29, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
Most rational person
Barrie is better, is he? Hmm. Okay. Regardless, I just think Seattle will maximize what they do in the draft, only trade picks to move up and pick higher or to acquire young players/prospects that truly move the needle for the franchise. All those 2nd rounders everyone trades for on here I think are capital that Francis hopes to utilize to acquire another 1st round pick. Next year, also.

Do you honestly think that Seattle would trade their second highest draft pick this year for Tyson Barrie??!!

seattle has multiple 2nd rounders, make it a later one and a 4th and its fine.
RWellington liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
RW90

Hi Ron
Jun. 29, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.

No I do agree draft capital should be a priority for Seattle. Also think Edmonton would be making a large mistake moving Barrie. However if adding an offensive d is high on the list I'd absolutely give up that pick to avoid taking on the contract klingberg is wanting. If money was equal I'd take Barrie everyday over him the fact money and term is more limited on Barrie just makes more of a positive.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: RWellington
Hi Ron

Hi Kenny?
Jun. 29, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: jacobla
seattle has multiple 2nd rounders, make it a later one and a 4th and its fine.

There are numerous ways to utilize those picks that would further the goals of the Kraken . . . Like bundling picks to move into higher rounds. A puck mover would be nice, and Barrie may very well be an option . . . I just don't see it being an option they explore until after free agency, and thus, after the draft. And with a better draft class next season, I think they'd be hard-pressed to pay too highly there, either. (?)
Jun. 29, 2022 at 3:05 p.m.
No I do agree draft capital should be a priority for Seattle. Also think Edmonton would be making a large mistake moving Barrie. However if adding an offensive d is high on the list I'd absolutely give up that pick to avoid taking on the contract klingberg is wanting. If money was equal I'd take Barrie everyday over him the fact money and term is more limited on Barrie just makes more of a positive.

I don't disagree with you; I dread to think what $$ and term Seattle may be stuck with if Francis goes hard after Klingberg and would prefer they pivot elsewhere if too rich and too long. (God knows his first 3 BIG signings aren't looking too good!!) But Klingberg can defend and has a history with Oleksiak, so I get the appeal if I'm Francis. And I just hesitate to spend draft picks on players who aren't sure to be a fit for this team how it is currently designed. Barrie doesn't seem like the guy. He ran the PP with 2 of the top 5 players on earth. His numbers are inflated and no one would ever confuse him for a defender that you'd trust to preserve a lead!! Nothing about Seattle's roster says "that's the guy to make the team better." JMO!
Jun. 29, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
I don't disagree with you; I dread to think what $$ and term Seattle may be stuck with if Francis goes hard after Klingberg and would prefer they pivot elsewhere if too rich and too long. (God knows his first 3 BIG signings aren't looking too good!!) But Klingberg can defend and has a history with Oleksiak, so I get the appeal if I'm Francis. And I just hesitate to spend draft picks on players who aren't sure to be a fit for this team how it is currently designed. Barrie doesn't seem like the guy. He ran the PP with 2 of the top 5 players on earth. His numbers are inflated and no one would ever confuse him for a defender that you'd trust to preserve a lead!! Nothing about Seattle's roster says "that's the guy to make the team better." JMO!

Well both Tippett and woodcroft have used Barrie late in games to hold leads and woodcroft actually moved Barrie onto the pk when it was struggling to snap out of it. The reputation about Barrie not being able to defend are very much over blown and inaccurate. That being said not suggesting he's a shut down type definitely a playmaker more than defender but much more capable than most on this site will credit him for. Kinda like how you pointed out he ran a pp with two extremely talented players personally don't think it's right to view it in a way that takes away from giving the credit earned. Multiple other players have ran that pp over the years klef nurse bouch but with Barrie it hit historic heights for extended period of time. The perception of Barrie on this site just seems well off what it should be in my opinion.
RWellington and Friendly_Giant liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
Well both Tippett and woodcroft have used Barrie late in games to hold leads and woodcroft actually moved Barrie onto the pk when it was struggling to snap out of it. The reputation about Barrie not being able to defend are very much over blown and inaccurate. That being said not suggesting he's a shut down type definitely a playmaker more than defender but much more capable than most on this site will credit him for. Kinda like how you pointed out he ran a pp with two extremely talented players personally don't think it's right to view it in a way that takes away from giving the credit earned. Multiple other players have ran that pp over the years klef nurse bouch but with Barrie it hit historic heights for extended period of time. The perception of Barrie on this site just seems well off what it should be in my opinion.

Maybe so. Good points. Defenseman who are creative & drive offense will always look worse for their gaffes, I suppose.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
Most rational person

we get it, you would rather pay way more for a player who also has defensive warts to his game in klingberg rather than trade a late 2nd and 4th or a early second.

2nd and 4th rounders have a much lower chance of making the NHL and the rumored 3 million more that klingberg wants is also likely a factor. THe seattle PP is not great, their offense from the blue line is not great on the right side.

The fact that the majority of seattles dmen are defensively minded means that yes, most ppl look at the d corps and say it would improve it to have a puck moving pp quarterback who can make a nice zone exit pass and join the play.
Friendly_Giant liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
Edited Jun. 29, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: jacobla
we get it, you would rather pay way more for a player who also has defensive warts to his game in klingberg rather than trade a late 2nd and 4th or a early second.

2nd and 4th rounders have a much lower chance of making the NHL and the rumored 3 million more that klingberg wants is also likely a factor. THe seattle PP is not great, their offense from the blue line is not great on the right side.

The fact that the majority of seattles dmen are defensively minded means that yes, most ppl look at the d corps and say it would improve it to have a puck moving pp quarterback who can make a nice zone exit pass and join the play.

It's not what "I'd rather," as you put it. Only what I've observed as a follower of the Kraken . . . what Francis has done and said he'd do. Also how he GM'd in Carolina. You're right . . . Kraken PP was horrible; a RH puck mover on the back-end is definitely on the shopping list! Barrie may ultimately be that player. All I really tried communicating initially (before my own thoughts on the player crept in!) was the importance Seattle puts in it's draft possibilities, being so new a franchise. Seattle is doing the "tortoise" approach, as opposed to Vegas' "hare" mentality! Just hoping Kraken win the race in the end!! ✌️

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll