SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(MIN/LAK) - Fiala for Faber

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 29, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
That's because Reinhart was playing for the worst team in the league while Fiala was playing for a playoff team.

That only affects so much. Besides sometimes people get more ice time for playing on a ****ty team and more opportunity.
oneX liked this.
Jun. 29, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
LA wins this easily. They took advantage of MN's problems; which they should have.

MN should have signed Fiala long term last offseason when he was asking for a $7m x 7 deal.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Maybe take the hint and follow the rules lol

"Welcome to Capfriendly, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!"

That clever reference is humor. You'll probably call it trolling.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Wasn't Faber 100% untouchable? Not a knock on anyone, just curious about what those Kings fans think of the deal.

Few LAK ACGMs biases:

- I doubt LAK fans would make 1:1 trade Bjornfot:Chychrun, because they "need another LD, not just upgrade". Bjornfot is not acceptable trading piece in any trade
- MTL got Kale Clague for free. LAK fans are probably still refusing his trades for late 1st round pick and see him as their future on the blue line
- Faber/Grans dilemma. LAK ACGMS would trade away Grans (LAK's only bigger D-prospect) for a bag of pucks. On the other hand, for some to LAK ACGM's known reason, should Faber be untouchable. But think for a second, they play the same position and they were both 2020 Draft picks. Grans was higher pick than Faber. There are odds LAK's management might be higher on Grans than on Faber wink And if rival fans want to strip away Grans and not Faber, there must be something they don't see on Swede
- who is next on the block? Kings fans are saying Roy is untouchable ("he is the only LAK D-man who can play defense". Who's Doughty?). That's a kiss of death, Roy won't last for long in LA
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Im just kinda here
Knew this was coming since the buyouts
Still hurts
The package is okay, but Fiala could have got much more for us
Good luck in LA Kevin
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:58 a.m.
Fair deal. LA gave up less than they would had they just signed him as a RFA, while not needed to compete with a dozen other teams.

That said, I'm not sure Fiala will live up to this contract, as last season was clearly his best and I don't know if it was a fluke.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:00 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: jpsnow13
"Welcome to Capfriendly, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!"

That clever reference is humor. You'll probably call it trolling.

Humour is fine but of the last six (ish) posts of yours that us moderators have either deleted, warned, or infracted, you're blatantly out of line. At some point you need to take responsibility for what you call "humour".
Jun. 30, 2022 at 6:28 a.m.
Quoting: drambui
i think the fact he had such a good season this year increased his return. who was the last winger who got that much return? faber is a hell of a good prospect.

Fiala played only 5% of the time with Kaprizov. He had a hell of an impressive run in Minnesota on the 2nd line with little PP time.
drambui liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 6:28 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Big LA win. I was expecting 7OA.

Agreed. Little leverage but Fiala is a game changer and LA gave up practically nothing,
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 6:30 a.m.
Humour is fine but of the last six (ish) posts of yours that us moderators have either deleted, warned, or infracted, you're blatantly out of line. At some point you need to take responsibility for what you call "humour".

What?
Jun. 30, 2022 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Fiala played only 5% of the time with Kaprizov. He had a hell of an impressive run in Minnesota on the 2nd line with little PP time.

he was playing in first pair of powerplay though. most of the timw though, was 5th total in power play ice time.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 8:19 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: futurehofer
Without the buyouts, Fiala would have been gone last year anyway. The buyouts bought us 1 more year of Fiala. Kevin has been playing here on borrowed time. It's been clear for a while that this day was coming, it was just a matter of when as opposed to if.

This is the part most people don't seem to understand. The buyouts allowed them to keep Fiala one more year to make another attempt at a playoff run. Maybe Guerin could have gotten a bit more last year (doubtful imo) but there was simply no way to keep him. With Boldy being due a pay raise next year, even if they moved Dumba and Jost to free up cap space to keep Fiala another year, how do you make it work next year when you have to replace them AND give Boldy a raise as well as account for a little bit more in dead cap for the buyouts? Simply put there was no reasonable way to keep Fiala and whether this deal ends up being good or bad for the Wild will be seen in a few years when we see what the pick ends up being and if Faber becomes a contributing presence on their defense.
futurehofer liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
You know nothing JS

Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
What?

The "blatantly out of line" qualification when 2 of them were retracted is pretty rich IMO.

If you have issues when I ask someone to "find a better argument" when they call me an idiot or when I answer to someone giving me the finger that he has "no class" (btw that's a fact, not a personnal attack, I don't do those), frankly it says more about your work than anything. I personally think I wasn't out of line at all, but like the saying goes "Nerver argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".

I would end by saying that if I was a troll I wouldn't have such a good like ratio, but I got an Infraction the only time I boasted about my number of likes, so I'll just shut up now. 🤷🏻

Have a great draft everyone!
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
I’m trying to judge only the trade here, not the signing, though given the timing they are obviously connected.

Good trade for LA. They’re already a playoff team and they add a top 6 winger in his prime without giving up a roster player. They may have to make some other moves to stay under the cap, but they got good value in this trade.

Everyone is saying that Minnesota had to trade Fiala, but I’m not convinced that they couldn’t have found a way to keep him, at least for this coming season. Yes, the buyouts are hurting them, but they have $6.5M in cap space with all their other core players signed. They do need to spend some of that on a couple of depth players and a backup goalie, but it didn’t seem insurmountable to me.

On the other hand, if Fiala didn’t want to sign in Minnesota for a number that the team thought was fair, and they want that cap space for something else (Fleury?), then trading him for the best package of draft picks and/or entry level players they could get makes sense. If somebody signed him to an offer sheet, the compensation would have been a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick, so if Faber is better than a 2nd and a 3rd, this is a good return. My opinion is that a good prospect from a recent draft is better than a pick in an upcoming draft because, being a little older, he should be closer to NHL-ready and more of a known quantity.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
The time to trade Fiala and get a big return was last year. They chose to keep him. Maybe they shopped him, and didn't like the outcome.

I’m not sure they would have got more for him last year. He wasn’t a point-per-game guy then.

Even if they could have got a bit more for him last year, it still made sense to keep him because it looked like they had a realistic chance at a cup run. The only benefit to trading him last year would have been to avoid having to protect him in the expansion draft, but that problem went away when they decided to buy out Parise and Suter.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
I really like this one for both sides. Would Fiala have brought more on the open market if he had term and Minnesota wasn't in a cap crunch? Probably. But I think the Wild got a fair return given the circumstances they're in. Meanwhile, LA solidifies their top 6 and now looks poised to return to the top of the Pacific.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Why did I just find out about this trade now?
Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Why did I just find out about this trade now?

Sorry, I was going to call you yesterday but forgot.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 5:46 p.m.
Quoting: futurehofer
Without the buyouts, Fiala would have been gone last year anyway. The buyouts bought us 1 more year of Fiala. Kevin has been playing here on borrowed time. It's been clear for a while that this day was coming, it was just a matter of when as opposed to if.

I hadn’t thought of that. I always thought that the buyouts were because of the expansion draft – Suter and Parise had no-move clauses so they would have had to protect them if they didn’t buy them out, which meant they would have lost Dumba or a top-6 forward to Seattle instead of Soucy – but now that you mention it, it also gave the team a one-time cap savings of about $10M last season to help them make a run at the cup. Though their cup run fell short, that’s an additional benefit to the buyouts that I hadn’t considered.

Quoting: budgeteam
They are in the situation based on two contracts that were signed in 2012, 3 GMs ago, and 2 CBAs ago. There is no reasonable or realistic way to blame their management for those buyouts. They were going to have dead cap either way either through an eventual cap recapture penalty, or a buyout.

I agree. The buyouts were a smart move making the best of a really bad situation. The only good thing about those contracts was that they were front-loaded, making it easy to buy out the last four years.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
sen krak fan
Big white n for the kings imo,
Jul. 1, 2022 at 2:29 a.m.
Banned
The market is beginning to take shape people

This is probably the minimum I expected Fiala to fetch, so I say fair deal
Jul. 1, 2022 at 8:22 a.m.
WentWughes
I understand Minnesota couldn't make it work Salary wise, but with the season Fiala just had, this is a steal for LA. A potential franchise level winger and LA gave up no substantial assets.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:13 a.m.
Wild couldn't afforded to re-sign him. Which makes this an opportunistic win for LA.
Jul. 1, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Considering the Wild were between a rock and a hard place, this haul is very good. The Kings win on the merit of getting the best player in the deal, of course, but it's one of those rare ones where both benefit a lot.
Jul. 1, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
Pens Fans lol'd at me for saying we got the wrong winger in the Zucker Trade.

Then they tried to tell me that we couldn't have got Fiala for what we gave up for Zucker, when Fiala was struggling.....

He just got the same package we wasted on Zucker.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit