Hakuna Matata
Edited Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy

Leafs got enough LW prospects what they need now is C and LD's

Button didnt do his homework again
Saskleaf and oilersguy liked this.
Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
He is the total package, hands down my favourite prospect. He is the most dynamic player in this draft, his skill set is very translatable to the NHL level. He is easily the most effective rush attacker in this class, he creates almost all of his offence off the rush. He won’t need to be helped by anyone, he will be able to drive a line and makes those around him better. There is not much that separates him and Cooley. He has excellent speed and edge work that seems to be effortless. He uses his skating to his advantage over all 200 feet of the ice. He can keep pace, and get into defensively strong positions quickly. He uses this skill to make him a dangerous weapon in transition.

100% i would take him over Savoie, I think he’s the 6th best player in this class.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:09 p.m.
currently re-evaluating my draft board because if you swap mcgroarty/rinzel and snuggerud/mateychuk my list looks fairly similar to button’s final mock draft (like, apart from the bichsel snub i could see everyone going within a couple picks of where he has them)
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Pronman has Reid Schaefer (didn’t know who he was before today) and Nathan Gaucher ahead of Lambert, Nazar, Pickering, and Ostlund in his rankings. Is he out of his mind? Lol
EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf, TZ11 and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Db1899
Pronman has Reid Schaefer (didn’t know who he was before today) and Nathan Gaucher ahead of Lambert, Nazar, Pickering, and Ostlund in his rankings. Is he out of his mind? Lol

Yeah there be a problem if Gauncher is higher than all those guys

Hes probs going 28-Early 2nd round
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

TheAthletic just looks like they're down bad for content. This must be the 10th mock draft/prospects ranking of the last month.
aadoyle, Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg
TheAthletic just looks like they're down bad for content. This must be the 10th mock draft/prospects ranking of the last month.

Before the draft bet an article will come out going why Cooley should go #1 OA
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.

Yeah I think Pronman hears a few good things from scouts, maybe one guy says “oh he could go top 20” and bam, you get Schaefer to 16 lmao. I think Gaucher is a possibility in the top 20 if there’s a run on centres before you get to the next tier of W/D, but I’d think Geekie and Nazar would be off the board first (he’s more in the Kulich/Ostlund tier of centres for me, probably behind Ostlund, 50/50 with Kulich because Gaucher’s defensive game is better, but Kulich’s shot is better). My bet would be that Montreal would like to take Gaucher at 26 and that would be fine. Schaefer I just don’t see as a better power winger than McGroarty, who I think will go in the early 20s. I’d have Schaefer fighting with Snuggerud to go in the mid- to late-20s, probably to Arizona with one of their picks.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Before the draft bet an article will come out going why Cooley should go #1 OA

Chris Peters from DFO has that covered lol, Wheeler is a Wright believer and Pronman’s all-in on Slafkovsky (thanks to a question I asked several months ago no doubt 😎)
aadoyle and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
I talked about goalies the other day, so today let’s talk about overagers. Who do you guys like for overagers? My top 5 (in no particular order) are Lucas Edmonds, Logan Morrison, Mikey Milne, Ben King, and Miguel Tourigny, with honourable mentions to Thomas Milic and Brett Brochu as two overage goalies that I like. I wouldn’t hate to see my teams draft any of these guys in the middle or late rounds, as I think they all have intriguing skillsets and have developed enough that they’re worth a selection. Couple other guys I’m a little more iffy on but wouldn’t mind with a 6th or 7th are Luke Mittelstadt and Jeremy Wilmer. There are also a few interesting re-entry guys, including Connor McClennon, Bear Hughes, and Ryan Francis.

One other point on overagers: I think Seattle will probably nab at least one or two of those guys to help populate the Coachella Valley Firebirds roster. It would be nice to have guys on their minor league team that are actually property of the organization, so they can work on their development. Otherwise that team will be a lot of AHL only contracts and loans from other clubs. Like drafting Brochu to back up Daccord next year, and a couple of these project guys in important positions (like Tourigny and King) would probably be a good draft strategy for them with some of their plentiful mid-round picks. And if I’m not mistaken, two of their picks last year were 1-year overagers who are likely going to the AHL next year (Ryker Evans and Ville Ottavainen).
MatthewsFan and Remus liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
I talked about goalies the other day, so today let’s talk about overagers. Who do you guys like for overagers? My top 5 (in no particular order) are Lucas Edmonds, Logan Morrison, Mikey Milne, Ben King, and Miguel Tourigny, with honourable mentions to Thomas Milic and Brett Brochu as two overage goalies that I like. I wouldn’t hate to see my teams draft any of these guys in the middle or late rounds, as I think they all have intriguing skillsets and have developed enough that they’re worth a selection. Couple other guys I’m a little more iffy on but wouldn’t mind with a 6th or 7th are Luke Mittelstadt and Jeremy Wilmer. There are also a few interesting re-entry guys, including Connor McClennon, Bear Hughes, and Ryan Francis.

One other point on overagers: I think Seattle will probably nab at least one or two of those guys to help populate the Coachella Valley Firebirds roster. It would be nice to have guys on their minor league team that are actually property of the organization, so they can work on their development. Otherwise that team will be a lot of AHL only contracts and loans from other clubs. Like drafting Brochu to back up Daccord next year, and a couple of these project guys in important positions (like Tourigny and King) would probably be a good draft strategy for them with some of their plentiful mid-round picks. And if I’m not mistaken, two of their picks last year were 1-year overagers who are likely going to the AHL next year (Ryker Evans and Ville Ottavainen).

Benjamin King to me is someone Dubas should eye if he can get a lower pick for Holl

Malik Monk (Goalie) is also someone to eye as this kid could probs be got in the 7th round and has the potential to become a descent tandem goalie
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:15 p.m.
Benjamin King to me is someone Dubas should eye if he can get a lower pick for Holl

Malik Monk (Goalie) is also someone to eye as this kid could probs be got in the 7th round and has the potential to become a descent tandem goalie

Not sure where your original post went but yeah Nick Malik is a double overager. He’d be an okay pickup late too.
aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not sure where your original post went but yeah Nick Malik is a double overager. He’d be an okay pickup late too.

7th round to me is where Malik should go and Benjamin probs 4th or 5th round

But man if he works on his game Benjamin would make for a great bottom 6 guy
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:27 p.m.
7th round to me is where Malik should go and Benjamin probs 4th or 5th round

But man if he works on his game Benjamin would make for a great bottom 6 guy

Yeah Ben King is one of the more intriguing guys. A big centre with a good 200-foot game, led the WHL in goals. There’s a toolkit there for sure. He could be a bottom six centre in a couple years.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 6:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah Ben King is one of the more intriguing guys. A big centre with a good 200-foot game, led the WHL in goals. There’s a toolkit there for sure. He could be a bottom six centre in a couple years.

Like his scouting report made me laugh

He was hungry on the forecheck and scored after ripping the puck off the goaltender's stick.

And honestly to me if he can work on his game that would make for a perfect 3rd or 4th liner for us. Heck maybe he surprised people enough and works his way into a 2nd line role as a gritty winger
Jul. 5, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I’ll be very surprised if these guys go undrafted again:
Theo Rochette, Zach Bookman, David Spacek, Jacob Guevin, Ryan Kirwan, Stephen Halladay, Avery Hayes and James Stefan
Alfie11 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:05 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
What do you all think about this years' Russian draft eligibles with today's Kaprizov news?

Before today there were reports of teams being unafraid of any potential challenges to getting Russian players over to NA, but if there's no updates, or its confirmed that Kaprizov is stuck in Russia, before the draft does someone like Yurov tank down the draft order?
Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CoopsTroops
What do you all think about this years' Russian draft eligibles with today's Kaprizov news?

Before today there were reports of teams being unafraid of any potential challenges to getting Russian players over to NA, but if there's no updates, or its confirmed that Kaprizov is stuck in Russia, before the draft does someone like Yurov tank down the draft order?

I would say if all GM's agree to make a statement or feel its to risky to do so we could see no Russian drafted in 2022

As whats the point for a team to draft a player who is at risk of military service or detained once their russian deals are up because they belong to a North American team

It sucks but man its not looking good rn

Like lets say Yurov goes 15 OA but wait a minute right after hes drafted the Russian police arrest him and send him to that military base Fedorov is stuck at. That team is screwed

Good news for Miro is hes in Germany along with Amirov
CoopsTroops and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops

I think Mintyukov will go where he should because he’s been playing in NA and I believe he’s still here (so somewhere in the mid-1st). Yurov will likely slip a fair bit, but I doubt he leaves the first still. Miroshnichenko might slip out of the 1st, but probably gets taken in the 2nd. It’s the rest of the guys that are most at risk. Guys like Neuchev, Trikozov, Duda, Sapovaliv, Perevalov, etc. (the known quantities, good prospects expected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round in a typical year) could easily slip to the 4th or later, and I think there will be far less fringe guys taken in the last couple rounds, because the added risk is just not worth it when you could draft a fringe guy of equal talent from any other country.

There are also reportedly at least 10 teams that straight up had all Russians on their do not draft list as of a week ago. I expect that number will rise, but not to 32 unless the NHL specifically says something about it (i.e. bans Russians from getting drafted).
CoopsTroops liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 10:32 p.m.
This could be one of the most diverse first rounds in a while, and will almost certainly be the most diverse top 10. Canada, USA, Finland, and Sweden will obviously be represented in the first round, but for the first time in a while we’ve got Slovakia (at least 2, possibly 3 players) and Czechia (at least 1, probably 2) as locks as well. Russia’s iffy because of real world things, but I still expect Mintyukov and probably Yurov to go in the 1st (if healthy and not Russian, Yurov and Miroshnichenko would probably both be top 10 picks). So that’s already 7, and Kasper (Austrian) being a first round lock brings that total up to 8 different countries, which edges 2020 (which had the big 5 countries + Germany and Austria for Stutzle/Reichel and Rossi). And speaking of Germany, there’s a chance Julian Lutz sneaks into the late first round as well, and if he’d been healthy all year he probably would be more established there (I personally like him more than Snuggerud, but Snuggerud had the better season). And then there’s Lian Bichsel, who I’ve seen outside the 1st on some lists but don’t really understand, I think he’s pretty close to a 1st round lock (I prefer Pickering, but he’s the next best big LD) and he’s Swiss. So imo there are 8 countries that are locks, 9 likely, and 10 possible to go in the 1st round, which is crazy.

Also for the top 10: Canada, USA, Slovakia, and Czechia are locks, and I reckon at least two of Finland, Sweden, and Austria will fill out the top 10, possibly all 3 (2020 had 5 different countries in the top 10 even with Stutzle/Rossi, because Askarov and Lundell went 11/12).
Saskleaf, oilersguy and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 6:33 a.m.
WentWughes
This could be one of the most diverse first rounds in a while, and will almost certainly be the most diverse top 10. Canada, USA, Finland, and Sweden will obviously be represented in the first round, but for the first time in a while we’ve got Slovakia (at least 2, possibly 3 players) and Czechia (at least 1, probably 2) as locks as well. Russia’s iffy because of real world things, but I still expect Mintyukov and probably Yurov to go in the 1st (if healthy and not Russian, Yurov and Miroshnichenko would probably both be top 10 picks). So that’s already 7, and Kasper (Austrian) being a first round lock brings that total up to 8 different countries, which edges 2020 (which had the big 5 countries + Germany and Austria for Stutzle/Reichel and Rossi). And speaking of Germany, there’s a chance Julian Lutz sneaks into the late first round as well, and if he’d been healthy all year he probably would be more established there (I personally like him more than Snuggerud, but Snuggerud had the better season). And then there’s Lian Bichsel, who I’ve seen outside the 1st on some lists but don’t really understand, I think he’s pretty close to a 1st round lock (I prefer Pickering, but he’s the next best big LD) and he’s Swiss. So imo there are 8 countries that are locks, 9 likely, and 10 possible to go in the 1st round, which is crazy.

Also for the top 10: Canada, USA, Slovakia, and Czechia are locks, and I reckon at least two of Finland, Sweden, and Austria will fill out the top 10, possibly all 3 (2020 had 5 different countries in the top 10 even with Stutzle/Rossi, because Askarov and Lundell went 11/12).

The top 10 is always quite diverse, I'm still expecting Atleast 10 Canadians + 7 or 8 Americans in the first round. Which puts it on par with other drafts.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:24 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
The top 10 is always quite diverse, I'm still expecting Atleast 10 Canadians + 7 or 8 Americans in the first round. Which puts it on par with other drafts.

I mean, most of the time we only get the big 5 in the first round, plus 1-2 other countries represented once. This year we’ll probably have 2 Czechs and 2 Slovaks (maybe 3), and 8 countries represented at least once. The last time there were 8 different countries represented in the 1st round was 2017 I believe, and this draft will probably have 9, maybe 10.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:30 a.m.
Since Lou has been isles GM

2018: A draft. Was pumped when Dobson and Wahlstrom fell to 11&12. I thought iskhakov was a great pick as well.

2019: expected Tomasino to be the pick and we went with Simon f*cking Holmstrom. One of the worst draft experiences ever lol

2020: no 1st rd pick, Lou drafted some kid who wasn’t even ranked in the 3rd rd, somewhat made up for it by drafting Dufour in the 5th

2021: Stole Raty at 52, Eetu Liukas and Alexis Malinen we’re good value picks. Lou loves the Fins

2022: praying for Nazar , Yurov or Lambert. If it’s Bischel or Nathan Gauthier…
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Who’s Ricky Savoie
Saskleaf, zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Quoting: yikes

Who’s Ricky Savoie

Käsper Frendly-Gjost is a steal at 19, but Sobeys Bagge at 22 is way off the board
yikes, A_Habs_fan and Remus liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll