Forums/Armchair-GM

Barrie Getting Trade Take 1

Created by: Greed
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2022
Published: Jun. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First of a few trade paths involving Tyson Barrie. Personally I like this one the best because it gives us a replacement (Hakanpaa) plus a young player/pick (If you want to say the Oilers don't get Tufte in this deal, then just have Holloway in his spot). Kassian + Puljujarvi for Brown seems to be extremely likely to happen, and same with the Kane trade (which in this case we are shipping out Foegele and a pick to get the salary retention).

Other than that, I signed players to around what they are rumored to get (McLeod around 2 mil on a bridge, Kulak around 2 mil short term, Campbell around 5 mil, Tufte to around 1 mil), and the Gagner spot can be any 4th line forward of quality for around that salary (clearly a bit biased towards Gagner though). All of it still leaves about 2 million of wiggle room to spend on players in case I underpaid (or we dont get salary retention for Kane). Overall I think this team at the very least won't be a regression. It still should be a 2nd/3rd round playoff team depending on matchups, which is where the Oilers need to be.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
3$1,800,000
4$3,000,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
4$5,000,000
1$900,000
3$5,500,000
Trades
EDM
    Evander Kane with salary retained
    SJS
    1. Foegele, Warren
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$80,264,333$896,000$1,700,000$2,235,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $3,600,000$3,600,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $762,500$762,500
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 5:39 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    I don't know if DAL accepts. Value is fair, but we'd effectively just fill a hole with creating another.

Barrie needs top tier players to play with in order to be able to produce - guys like MacKinnon, Matthews, Marner, McDavid ir Draisaitl. DAL doesn't have such players to offer.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 5:47 a.m.
    No reason to give McL over $1mill if they are only going to bridge him. He doesnt have arb rights.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 5:52 a.m.
    Malone will be a full time 4th liner before shore is, Woodcroft loves Malone and even put him in a playoff game before Shore.
    McL needs to be full time 3C next yr. plus he doesnt ever play RW.
    Keith will be back unfortunately.
    I like the idea of signing Gags, and if they gave him a bit of term he would probably sign for $800-850k. But if they did get him they should trade Ryan as Gags essentially plays the same role for less, plus he is 3 yrs younger. Ryan is coming off a decent season, they could probably get a 3rd or 4th rnd pick for him from a team looking for some vet C depth.
    Greed liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 6:28 a.m.
    Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
    A very easy NO from Ottawa. I'm not against moving Brown but there'll be much, much better offers on the table.
    TheBoyDuddus liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 6:51 a.m.
    BORDEGOD
    That isn’t getting Kane with retention. Get real.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:11 a.m.
    Quoting: Kjell_Forsman
    That isn’t getting Kane with retention. Get real.

Okay then keep paying a player 7 million for 3 years when he refuses to play for you and you actively despise him. Not like you have a ton of leeway as SJ.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:14 a.m.
    Quoting: TCMonkey
    A very easy NO from Ottawa. I'm not against moving Brown but there'll be much, much better offers on the table.

I think Sens fans extremely overvalue Brown. Every Sens fan I hear from thinks that he is worth a 1st round pick + a high prospect. Brown =/= Fiala and Fiala had a lower return. I think this is plenty fair and it gives you a player that can protect your teenagers in the lineup and a solid 2-way player that can compliment your stars for years to come. Meanwhile we get 1 year of Connor Brown.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:16 a.m.
    Quoting: justaBoss
    I don't know if DAL accepts. Value is fair, but we'd effectively just fill a hole with creating another.

Barrie needs top tier players to play with in order to be able to produce - guys like MacKinnon, Matthews, Marner, McDavid ir Draisaitl. DAL doesn't have such players to offer.

I see this moreso as: Dallas doesnt resign Klingberg and gets another player to fill that role. Finding a 5/6 defenseman for cheap is a lot easier than overpaying for a Klingberg replacement IMO.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:24 a.m.
    I just can't get behind moving Barrie. He's similar age to most of the core group and have liked his game more specifically this past season saw a ton of extra attention to defensive side am absolutely fine with his on ice contributions but his off ice impact I think is severally undervalued by fans. His personality seems like an incredible asset in the dressing room.
    Greed liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:27 a.m.
    Quoting: justaBoss

Who says Barrie needs those types of players? He's been fortunate to get to play with some great players but that shouldn't be used against him.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:29 a.m.
    Quoting: ceeque84
    Malone will be a full time 4th liner before shore is, Woodcroft loves Malone and even put him in a playoff game before Shore.
    McL needs to be full time 3C next yr. plus he doesnt ever play RW.
    Keith will be back unfortunately.
    I like the idea of signing Gags, and if they gave him a bit of term he would probably sign for $800-850k. But if they did get him they should trade Ryan as Gags essentially plays the same role for less, plus he is 3 yrs younger. Ryan is coming off a decent season, they could probably get a 3rd or 4th rnd pick for him from a team looking for some vet C depth.

I know McLeod has spent time on the wing when he was playing up with Draisaitl at times during the season. But yeah if you would prefer McLeod at Center, they could run:
    Kane - McDavid - Hyman
    RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
    Tufte - McLeod - Brown
    Malone - Gagner - Ryan

Id figure that it would be fine to keep both Gags and Ryan because its never a bad thing to have good players on your team. Im not exactly sure who I would replace Ryan with either... maybe Malone at Center and Benson on LW? But then you are just making the team weaker when we have the cap space for both. If you have a better fit though I'm all ears! And as for Keith, I think at the moment I'm just assuming he's gone so i can have more freedom when creating a team. If he's back then the amount of options in roster creation is far fewer. I also heard that theres a chance that they trade him to Arizona, Arizona buys him out, and then Keith signs a 1 year 1 mil contract with the Oilers again. Would be crazy if that were to happen but i dont think that situation is likely to include here (though it would fit cap space wise within this team).
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:31 a.m.
    Quoting: Timmah007
    I just can't get behind moving Barrie. He's similar age to most of the core group and have liked his game more specifically this past season saw a ton of extra attention to defensive side am absolutely fine with his on ice contributions but his off ice impact I think is severally undervalued by fans. His personality seems like an incredible asset in the dressing room.

I agree; personally I wouldnt mind keeping Barrie around. But the problem of the Oilers is the defense, and Barrie eat up a roster spot and 4.5 Mil in cap. When Bouchard is on the roster doing the same role as him, it's pretty easy to point to Barrie as the first piece to move on the team.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:37 a.m.
    Quoting: Greed
    I agree; personally I wouldnt mind keeping Barrie around. But the problem of the Oilers is the defense, and Barrie eat up a roster spot and 4.5 Mil in cap. When Bouchard is on the roster doing the same role as him, it's pretty easy to point to Barrie as the first piece to move on the team.

Who's to say bouchard doesn't fall into a soft more slump? Who's to say bouchard stays healthy? I look at it as a combined just over 5 million for both that's solid really good value. Move Barrie when bouchard starts actually effectiving the cap until then enjoy the luxury of having both. That's just my thinking tho obviously most don't share that opinion.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: Timmah007
    Who says Barrie needs those types of players? He's been fortunate to get to play with some great players but that shouldn't be used against him.

I mean that guy is one of the biggest PP merchants in the league, and those three teams are all known to have extremely effective power plays. They definitely impact his numbers.

I will hold it against him if I were to trade for him.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.
    I know McLeod has spent time on the wing when he was playing up with Draisaitl at times during the season. But yeah if you would prefer McLeod at Center, they could run:
    Kane - McDavid - Hyman
    RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
    Tufte - McLeod - Brown
    Malone - Gagner - Ryan

Ryan could be replaced with anyone really, especially a bigger body who plays a bit more physical on the 4th line.
    Kane-McD-Hyman
    Nuge-Drai-Yamo
    holloway-McL-Brown
    Tuft-Malone-Gags or Tuft/Malone-Gags-Deslauriers(would be awsome, not sure he would sign in yeg tho)

Id figure that it would be fine to keep both Gags and Ryan because its never a bad thing to have good players on your team. Im not exactly sure who I would replace Ryan with either... maybe Malone at Center and Benson on LW? But then you are just making the team weaker when we have the cap space for both. If you have a better fit though I'm all ears! And as for Keith, I think at the moment I'm just assuming he's gone so i can have more freedom when creating a team. If he's back then the amount of options in roster creation is far fewer. I also heard that theres a chance that they trade him to Arizona, Arizona buys him out, and then Keith signs a 1 year 1 mil contract with the Oilers again. Would be crazy if that were to happen but i dont think that situation is likely to include here (though it would fit cap space wise within this team).
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 10:02 a.m.
    I think Sens fans extremely overvalue Brown. Every Sens fan I hear from thinks that he is worth a 1st round pick + a high prospect. Brown =/= Fiala and Fiala had a lower return. I think this is plenty fair and it gives you a player that can protect your teenagers in the lineup and a solid 2-way player that can compliment your stars for years to come. Meanwhile we get 1 year of Connor Brown.

people place Brown at the value of roughly a late first. Fiala needed to be signed to a huge deal, Brown with retention is a 0.5ppg penalty killer at under 2M AAV. I'd be hesitant to move him for Puljujarvi alone (although it's not unreasonable), but I'd instantly say no to needing to take on Kassian and his contract too
    TheBoyDuddus and TCMonkey liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:01 p.m.

Apples to oranges. Hagel got two 1sts, the fact that Fiala only got one is irrelevant because hes signed for more than double the money. A large part of Brown's value, much like Hagel, Goodrow, Coleman, Paul... is the quality of play you get vs the cap hit.

He's scored at a 50 point pace each of his 3 seasons in Ottawa. One of the leagues leading pkers at forward and can play pp as well. Goes up and down the lineup with ease because hes trusted by coaches as a defensively responsible forward. Zero reason he cant net a late first especially if Ottawa retains a little money. He's already good bang for your buck but under 2m would have contenders calling.

All that to say, hes not being swapped for Puljujarvi and Ottawa's certainly not doing you the favor of eating Kassians contract on top of that. Easy pass.
    emoprettyboy and TCMonkey liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
    Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
    Apples to oranges. Hagel got two 1sts, the fact that Fiala only got one is irrelevant because hes signed for more than double the money. A large part of Brown's value, much like Hagel, Goodrow, Coleman, Paul... is the quality of play you get vs the cap hit.

He's scored at a 50 point pace each of his 3 seasons in Ottawa. One of the leagues leading pkers at forward and can play pp as well. Goes up and down the lineup with ease because hes trusted by coaches as a defensively responsible forward. Zero reason he cant net a late first especially if Ottawa retains a little money. He's already good bang for your buck but under 2m would have contenders calling.

All that to say, hes not being swapped for Puljujarvi and Ottawa's certainly not doing you the favor of eating Kassians contract on top of that. Easy pass.

yep, exactly all this. I don't hate the idea in a trade that swaps Brown and Puljujarvi, but not one for one and definitely not taking on Kassian too
    TheBoyDuddus liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
    Okay then keep paying a player 7 million for 3 years when he refuses to play for you and you actively despise him. Not like you have a ton of leeway as SJ.

The offer has to at least be better than buying his contract out or else why do you believe SJ help their opponents? Besides, if he refuses to play it's breach of contract, so that's another way SJ gets out of it.

Also his play for EDM completely revitalized his value and other teams will now have interest. It's not as dire of a situation as it was before.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll