SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #4

Jul. 2, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The NHL does not need a luxury cap, it’s a hard cap or tax adjusted cap that’s the best move, levels the playing field the most that way, I’d much rather have 32 teams on decently equal payrolls, than the rich teams having a cap of 100mil and the poor teams having a 70mil team

News flash: they already do that. Your team literally spent over 10mil above the cap last year. Teams like Arizona, Buffalo, and Ottawa have regularly spent below the floor thanks to guys on the tail-end of back-loaded contracts. The amount of actual dollars the Leafs are projected to spend next year vs. the Coyotes is already like 25mil more, and I’d be willing to bet that even if they keep Crouse/Fischer, the coyotes are gonna reach the floor by picking up another insured LTIR contract, while the Leafs probably use their 6mil remaining cap room to shell out 8-10mil actual dollars on a front-loaded goalie contract.

The only way what you’re saying works is if every owner spends to the cap every year. But they don’t, so all you’re doing is parroting Bettman’s bs about parity that everyone can see through. And the players suffer by getting underpaid as a result, while the owners continue to line their pockets.
yikes, LeafsFanForSomeReason, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 4:06 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jul. 2, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'm actually incredibly optimistic given the way the corporate sponsors have ejected themselves from Hockey Canada's revenue stream. Everything that's gone wrong with Hockey Canada is a textbook example of - and I know there is a group of you that will roll your eyes at this - unchecked privilege. Canada has sat atop the world leaderboards in ice hockey for virtually my entire life and with this comes the notion of complacency. Perhaps not in the direct on-ice result but in terms of background checks, ethics, and general human decency. Winning becomes the only essential mantra when you've been #1 for the better part of two and a half decades, which will lead the off-ice decisions down very immoral pathways. Cover-ups, scandals, we're seeing these things come to light today.

Losing that revenue stream will force change and hopefully the vetting process improves. An injection of new voices is sorely overdue: the process by which Canadian talent is being developed is stagnating when compared to the American and Swedish programs. The status quo doesn't work anymore, top to bottom.

Oh 1000% I wrote about Finland for a major paper. I loved learning through their systems and Canada has definitely gotten way too complacent. The USNTDP is an amazing program, Finland has a world class mentality for development, and it goes on and on, like you mentioned with Sweden. Even the smaller nations like Swiss are getting good.

Canada has seemed to just “wait” for gems to come along. And the culture is all to wrapped up in winning rather than developing professionals (a key quote I remember from Finlands program). If losing in the “World Juniors” and whatever crap happens for a handful years in result to a clean up; who cares. I’m still going to watch every event. If you’re Canadian and can’t watch hockey without Canadians… there’s problem.. and I don’t want to say it’s race but it’s definitely way too much national pride if you can’t cheer on another country or support them if your country sucks.

I cheer against the States all the time but man watching them wipe the floor with Cozens Team (WJ) was awesome.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
The NHL does not need a luxury cap, it’s a hard cap or tax adjusted cap that’s the best move, levels the playing field the most that way, I’d much rather have 32 teams on decently equal payrolls, than the rich teams having a cap of 100mil and the poor teams having a 70mil team

Quoting: DirtyDangle
the game is way better with a salary cap than it was before. no thanks going to a pay to win system

A cap is essential but the NHLs is way to mundane.

The NBA is the best league in major sports (imo); they have their flaws for sure but their product is awesome. I don’t want the kinda “players” running the league crap like the Nets and Lakers but that’s also just bad luck and stupidity.

The NHL can learn a lot from the NBA and finding a form of luxury cap or new system would be best for the NHL success as it would create so much more buzz and flair for the league and more importantly actually let players get paid. I mean if Byram was in the NBA he would be the talk of the town and going for the bag/ there would be way more fun.

I mean even the Raptors became champs; and if Leonard made the right choice to stay; Canada woulda won another chip. The NBA just has a better thing going and quite literally Bettman helped implement it.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Jul. 2, 2022 at 4:54 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: yikes

Same but different

He has played 85 games since being drafted in 2019 lol
yikes and AndrewLadd liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So Strome and Copp plan to test the UFA market so most likely both are gone as I'm guessing NYR lowballed both of them

Meaning NYR either rely on Chytil as the 2c or trade for JT Miller
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 6:42 p.m.

I think SJS is an ideal fit for Laine. He needs to be on a line with two above average play drivers who do most of the work (Hertl + Meier). I think it would cost Bordealeau + 1st and I don’t think it’s worth it at that point
Jul. 2, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
Anyone else wonder if Pittsburgh could be an under the radar destination for Kadri? They've got the cap, an open 2C slot if Malkin leaves and the Burke connection... Just a thought.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 6:56 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Db1899
I think SJS is an ideal fit for Laine. He needs to be on a line with two above average play drivers who do most of the work (Hertl + Meier). I think it would cost Bordealeau + 1st and I don’t think it’s worth it at that point

I just imagine Hertl between Meier and Laine being a chance for Laine to become a 30g+ again; but I agree, it’s too risky to move Eklund/ Bordeleau for Laine when the package would also cost 11th + more assets.

Bords performance at this upcoming WJC is going to a must watch if he’s selected to see where he’s at after a great debut, and Eklund has added 10 pounds of muscle this offseason so far (we still got months left too).

I know it’s bold to say Eklund/ Bords > Laine because of his resume but I think SJS cannot afford losing young talent.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
retired
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Anyone else wonder if Pittsburgh could be an under the radar destination for Kadri? They've got the cap, an open 2C slot if Malkin leaves and the Burke connection... Just a thought.

possibly but if they have kadri money why not just keep malkin
Jul. 2, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

They are yes but there is a local kid also available who better fits the mold of what Sullivan wants

That guy is Trocheck

Kadri either goes to Washington or Seattle as one team is run by a braindead GM who spends to much in FA and the other has a 9.2mill guy out for potentially the remainder of his deal and need a 2c.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 9:19 p.m.
possibly but if they have kadri money why not just keep malkin

From what I've been hearing/reading, supposedly it might not be entirely financial when it comes to Malkin. Potentially just ready for a change on both sides.
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Farewell
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for the Sharks to just buy out Vlasic.

From ProHockeyRumors.com:

"Under a Vlasic buyout, the Sharks would save $3.3MM against the cap in 2022-23, $5.5MM in 2023-24, $2.8MM in 2024-25, and $1.8MM in 2025-26, at the cost of a $1.68MM dead cap charge from 2026-27 to 2029-30."

Seems worth it to me. A $1.68 million dead cap charge for 4 years straight seems worth it to save nearly $9 million in cap space over the course of the four years prior.
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 10:59 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for the Sharks to just buy out Vlasic.

From ProHockeyRumors.com:

"Under a Vlasic buyout, the Sharks would save $3.3MM against the cap in 2022-23, $5.5MM in 2023-24, $2.8MM in 2024-25, and $1.8MM in 2025-26, at the cost of a $1.68MM dead cap charge from 2026-27 to 2029-30."

Seems worth it to me. A $1.68 million dead cap charge for 4 years straight seems worth it to save nearly $9 million in cap space over the course of the four years prior.

paying Vlasic till the end of 2030 instead of 2025/6 saving little money in his final years (when we need the money realistically, so little gain) doesnt seem worth it to me
Jul. 2, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: yikes
paying Vlasic till the end of 2030 instead of 2025/6 saving little money in his final years (when we need the money realistically, so little gain) doesnt seem worth it to me

My thinking goes like this: You only have $1.68 million in dead cap space each year for 2026/27-30. Wouldn't they rather free up more space now to get players alongside Hertl, Meier, Eklund, Bordeleau, etc. and free up spots being filled by pylons at the same time?
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
My thinking goes like this: You only have $1.68 million in dead cap space each year for 2026/27-30. Wouldn't they rather free up more space now to get players alongside Hertl, Meier, Eklund, Bordeleau, etc. and free up spots being filled by pylons at the same time?

I want Vlasic gone asap.

Lol but yea, its not nearly worst idea in the end.
Jul. 2, 2022 at 11:58 p.m.
JwillNYR82
Its a one way contract, so they would have to put him on waivers if he doesnt make the team out of camp. He has speed and is big, but he isnt physical and has zero idea what to do with the puck when he gets close to the net.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 8:17 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
McDonagh.

33 year old top 4LD.
View his game to be quiet and steady, good in suppressing scoring chances and not a liability in transition.
He also carry 6.75m cap hit for another 4 years, has a NTC and Tampa’s got next to no cap space to resign Palat or make any other moves of note.

How long do you think McDonagh remains a top 4 defender in the NHL and do you think Tampa may get anything in terms of a positive return for him?
Curious to hear what you guys think.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 8:21 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Tintin
McDonagh.

33 year old top 4LD.
View his game to be quiet and steady, good in suppressing scoring chances and not a liability in transition.
He also carry 6.75m cap hit for another 4 years, has a NTC and Tampa’s got next to no cap space to resign Palat or make any other moves of note.

How long do you think McDonagh remains a top 4 defender in the NHL and do you think Tampa may get anything in terms of a positive return for him?

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, McDonagh's been really good for a long time and is a great veteran leader. On the other, he's coming off a really rough playoffs (with a couple of brutal mistakes against the Avs), is getting older, and has a pricey contract. Depending on the return (especially since the Lightning should prioritize re-signing Palat, plus they'll need to extend Cernak soon), much as it hurts to see McDonagh leave, might be a good move to trade him. They might need to throw in a pick or prospect to do it though.
Tintin liked this.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 8:55 a.m.
Quoting: Tintin
McDonagh.

33 year old top 4LD.

I think we’d have another Dadonov situation with McDonagh where the player does have value but won’t get much of a return due to a cap crunch even if he’s a serviceable 2nd pair guy
Tintin liked this.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.

Either Tony’s issues flared up during the year or he wants a long term deal ( something no team should give him )
Jul. 3, 2022 at 9:14 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

Either Tony’s issues flared up during the year or he wants a long term deal ( something no team should give him )

Maybe DeAngelo to Pittsburgh if Letang leaves? But I doubt he gets the contract he wants
DirtyDangle liked this.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 10:22 a.m.
retired
Quoting: Devil
Maybe DeAngelo to Pittsburgh if Letang leaves? But I doubt he gets the contract he wants

or the habs if they dont land letang
Jul. 3, 2022 at 10:36 a.m.
do not Devil my ass

Quoting: Devil

or the habs if they dont land letang

If he doesn't have too much against living in Canada, I could see Edmonton being a decent option.
Holland doesn't seem to mind guys with questionable reputations.
If Barrie gets moved, TDA would be a great fit for the Oilers.
Jul. 3, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Philly could’ve just drafted Caufield instead of possibly giving up so many assets for DeBrincat
A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll