Forums/Armchair-GM

Hypothetical karlson 3 way

Created by: Hullsy09
Team: 2022-23 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2022
Published: Jul. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Disclaimer: it looks like Letang is going to be signed soon, so this one is just for fun.

I made a post asking what karlson return would be like with 3-4 mil retention and sharks fans said it would be a lot but significantly less if it were just 1-2 mil, so let’s do that.

Hawks are about to enter a massively long rebuild. Some of the insiders predict it will be 6-8 years after all of the Bowman mistakes. So by the time they are ready to contend, the retention will be off the books. Even if you get Chicago to retain like 30% that could still workAs for strome, he seems like a player who has fallen out of favour in Chicago and apparently he could be non tendered.

I think Karlson at 10.5 million does not have much value, so it probably won’t take a ton to get him from San Jose. Even though Chicago retaining that much won’t affect them as a hockey team, it’s still 25 mil + that they have to spend so we will have to pay them a fair amount. And even though they have lost interest with strome he is still a good player.

What do you think each team would want in return for these trades?
Trades
PIT
  1. Karlsson, Erik ($1,000,000 retained)
SJS
    ????
    PIT
    1. Strome, Dylan [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    50% of Karlsons contract (5.25 million)
    CHI
      ????
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      17$82,500,000$66,791,842$0$0$15,708,158
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $5,125,000$5,125,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $3,125,000$3,125,000
      RW, C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $2,200,000$2,200,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,875,000$4,875,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      UFA - 5
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $4,100,000$4,100,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $4,025,175$4,025,175
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the San Jose Sharks
      $9,000,000$9,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:22 p.m.
      SJ likely wouldn't do it because of rebuild denial but I'd happy with something like Pettersson + unprotected 2023 1st going to SJ as a base with maybe some more late picks. That way you get $4mil out and then have to deal with $7.5mil
      The EK trade back in 2018 was: EK+Francis Perron to SJ and Tierney+Balcers+Demelo+Norris+ the infamous unprotected 1st going to OTT
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:24 p.m.
      Quoting: poeticentropy
      SJ likely wouldn't do it because of rebuild denial but I'd happy with something like Pettersson + unprotected 2023 1st going to SJ as a base with maybe some more late picks. That way you get $4mil out and then have to deal with $7.5mil
      The EK trade back in 2018 was: EK+Francis Perron to SJ and Tierney+Balcers+Demelo+Norris+ the infamous unprotected 1st going to OTT

Chi is going to want that pick and also the 2024 1st maybe for doing 50% retention on the rest of that contract. Moving Karlsson helps SJ a ton. They don't got cap and still have that Meier situation.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
      Quoting: GMBL
      Chi is going to want that pick and also the 2024 1st maybe for doing 50% retention on the rest of that contract. Moving Karlsson helps SJ a ton. They don't got cap and still have that Meier situation.

I imagine they'd keep EK if SJ didn't get at least a 1st out of it, so would have to do something else to get this to work
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
      I imagine they'd keep EK if SJ didn't get at least a 1st out of it, so would have to do something else to get this to work

I would think they would be happy getting a good defenseman+a ton of cap back+maybe something else small since I think pettersen had a bad year, not sure. Karlsson is injury prone, so aside from his contract which would still be expensive at 10.5m, SJ doesn't have any leverage.

Chi would be the team with the leverage doing that massive retention and will get some of the value that a 5.25m Karlsson carries.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.
      I would think they would be happy getting a good defenseman+a ton of cap back+maybe something else small since I think pettersen had a bad year, not sure. Karlsson is injury prone, so aside from his contract which would still be expensive at 10.5m, SJ doesn't have any leverage.

Chi would be the team with the leverage doing that massive retention and will get some of the value that a 5.25m Karlsson carries.

I would only do this trade if it meant giving up one first (none to San Jose, one to Chicago). I really don’t think karlson at 10.5 gets you a first in a package. As he said, SJ really has no leverage in that offer. Pettersson is like 96th percentile on even strength war on the Jfresh card or something like that, he is very solid defensively. I would be hesitant to move him as I feel he could be a good partner for karlson, this would mean the club would move on from Dumoulin instead (in a separate trade) if Letang walks. A d core of

Pettersson - karlson
      Matheson-Marino
      POJ-Ruhwedel

Would be pretty solid if you ask me, but I guess we could just keep Dumo and give you Pettersson.

50% maybe too much to ask of Chicago. Even if we got them to do 30 %, however much we could get them to do where we only have to give up one first in the trade. Strome +30% retention for like a first and a third and a couple prospects maybe. That would leave karlson contract at 7.35 which is pretty manageable
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:47 p.m.
      Temple of Ferraro
      Honestly, I’d be okay with like a B prospect and a mid round pic . That is if you’re taking the 10.5 mil of our hands
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.

Well I mean the leverage is that they don't have a gun to their head to trade EK65 and SJ definitely was more terrible without EK65 in the lineup from injuries. He adds a lot.
      SJ has contracts coming off the books and can move out other contracts to make room for Meier, which will at the end of the day will likely not end up being that crazy $10mil QO. Anyway, it's just my opinion, maybe the new GM will be nuts and trade EK out without getting a 1st or someone with significant upside back (Pitt doesn't really have a lot of prospect pool, so leaving that out of consideration)
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.
      Quoting: Bias_it_self
      Honestly, I’d be okay with like a B prospect and a mid round pic . That is if you’re taking the 10.5 mil of our hands

Yeah that’s about what I thought. Karlson at 10.5 really doesn’t have much value, that’s why a 3 team trade with Arizona/ Chicago retaining makes so much sense
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
      Well I mean the leverage is that they don't have a gun to their head to trade EK65 and SJ definitely was more terrible without EK65 in the lineup from injuries. He adds a lot.
      SJ has contracts coming off the books and can move out other contracts to make room for Meier, which will at the end of the day will likely not end up being that crazy $10mil QO. Anyway, it's just my opinion, maybe the new GM will be nuts and trade EK out without getting a 1st or someone with significant upside back (Pitt doesn't really have a lot of prospect pool, so leaving that out of consideration)

Yeah this situation is assuming new GM wants to rebuild and that Letang goes elsewhere, neither of which are givens and the latter being unlikely.

I think karlson at 10.5 million does not have a ton of value. Think about it: how much would he make if he were UFA? Prob in the 7s
      poeticentropy liked this.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.

I think Meier gets 8mx8 like the rest of the forward core lol, but that's going to put a strain, they will have some very budget goaltending. On the other hand, someone paying even 5m for an injury prone Dman that is up there in age is a problem, especially if he's not ending up on LTIR for the entire season. He's playing a good 60 games but if he's gone for the playoffs then what's the point? Would also be getting a good D-man back. Like solid defensively.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
      I think Meier gets 8mx8 like the rest of the forward core lol, but that's going to put a strain, they will have some very budget goaltending. On the other hand, someone paying even 5m for an injury prone Dman that is up there in age is a problem, especially if he's not ending up on LTIR for the entire season. He's playing a good 60 games but if he's gone for the playoffs then what's the point?

If karlson were UFA people would definitely take the chance on him at 5M. Despite being injury prone he is still very skilled offensively. If put in the right situation, around top tier offensive talent like Crosby, Malkin, guentzel he could excel
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
      I wonder though if Burns can be exchanged for Bobrovsky in some sort of deal. Even if Burns ends up on a 3rd team.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
      Quoting: Hullsy09
      If karlson were UFA people would definitely take the chance on him at 5M. Despite being injury prone he is still very skilled offensively. If put in the right situation, around top tier offensive talent like Crosby, Malkin, guentzel he could excel

Yeah, they would take the chance on him and pay him, but it's going to limit what they pay for him in assets to acquire him from the original team.

The team doing the retention of 5.25mx5 is taking an immense amount of risk taking on dead cap for that long, even if they are a rebuilder, years 4 and 5 might be them moving towards contention. So of course they will be getting paid in the necessary assets.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.
      I think Meier gets 8mx8 like the rest of the forward core lol, but that's going to put a strain, they will have some very budget goaltending. On the other hand, someone paying even 5m for an injury prone Dman that is up there in age is a problem, especially if he's not ending up on LTIR for the entire season. He's playing a good 60 games but if he's gone for the playoffs then what's the point? Would also be getting a good D-man back. Like solid defensively.

What playoffs for SJ are you speaking of? tears of joy
      Don't get too hung up on my proposal for Pettersson... I was just proposing that as a way to reduce the cap hit of EK because I saw other ACGMs from Pitt shipping him out.
      I do not think EK is a good choice for Pitt for exactly the injury proneness issues you stated. I think if Pitt has to replace Letang while still having playoff goals they should probably target other D
      BURGHgirl liked this.
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 10:08 p.m.
      What playoffs for SJ are you speaking of? tears of joy
      Don't get too hung up on my proposal for Pettersson... I was just proposing that as a way to reduce the cap hit of EK because I saw other ACGMs from Pitt shipping him out.
      I do not think EK is a good choice for Pitt for exactly the injury proneness issues you stated. I think if Pitt has to replace Letang while still having playoff goals they should probably target other D

Haha, not for SJ. Although with all that money and term on those players...what are they doing lol. Also, I saw something on twitter that led me to believe that they are only looking for former Sharks for the coaching staff? Maybe they are trying to convince someone to retire?
      Jul. 1, 2022 at 10:29 p.m.
      The ask for Chicago to retain 5.25 for 5 years is going to cost more then it would be to get Karlsson out of San Jose. It’s also a % of the money they have to pay the player, it’s not just cap hit but also salary. I’m just going to use his salary as the only team retaining (50%) so 5.75 vs 5.25.

Karlsson’s salary (50% retained)
      22-23 - 6.0 (12.0 full)
      23-24 - 5.75 (11.5 full)
      24-25 - 5.5 (11.0 full)
      25-26 - 4.5 (9.0 full)
      26-27 - 3.75 (7.5 full)

In total the hawks are paying 25.5 mil for Karlsson to play for Pittsburgh. You’re looking at a multitude of 1sts and that’s before you add Strome to the trade.
      oilersfan150 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll