SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Buffalo Sabres

Is Tage Thompson the 1C solution long-term?

Jul. 3, 2022 at 6:44 a.m.
Banned
Just clarifying
Jul. 4, 2022 at 8:02 a.m.
No.
Jul. 4, 2022 at 8:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
No.

Wait a sec, he's not? If so, do the Sabres even have that potential 1C solution elsewhere currently in their system?
Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Wait a sec, he's not? If so, do the Sabres even have that potential 1C solution elsewhere currently in their system?

No.
Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.
Banned
No.

Do you have anything else in your vocabularly?
Jul. 5, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Do you have anything else in your vocabularly?

Indeed.
zk97 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Banned
Indeed.

Sorry, wasn't sure
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
It’s a little early to say, ask me after this season. If he puts up another season like last season, yes. Although I don’t think that the Sabres in a few years will be a traditional team. I think they want to be able to run 4 lines that are all highly skilled and fast, and I think it’s KA’s goal to have at least 3 lines of top 6 caliber players. While they may not end up with an elite first line, I think they may end up with 2 lines that are low end first lines, and a 3rd line made up of 2nd line guys. This could be built with some combination of Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Kulich, Ostlund, Quinn, JJP, Cozens, Krebs, Mitts, Savoie, Oloffson?, Neuchev, or anybody else that surprises.
Throw in Dahlin, Power, and Samuelson, and Johnson? on the backend, and we will have a very solidly built team. And hopefully Levi will provide the elite goaltending to put us over the top, and one of UPL, Leinonen, or Portillo can be a more than competent backup.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:47 a.m.
Just clarifying

No.

Quoting: sabresparaavida
It’s a little early to say, ask me after this season. If he puts up another season like last season, yes. Although I don’t think that the Sabres in a few years will be a traditional team. I think they want to be able to run 4 lines that are all highly skilled and fast, and I think it’s KA’s goal to have at least 3 lines of top 6 caliber players. While they may not end up with an elite first line, I think they may end up with 2 lines that are low end first lines, and a 3rd line made up of 2nd line guys. This could be built with some combination of Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Kulich, Ostlund, Quinn, JJP, Cozens, Krebs, Mitts, Savoie, Oloffson?, Neuchev, or anybody else that surprises.
Throw in Dahlin, Power, and Samuelson, and Johnson? on the backend, and we will have a very solidly built team. And hopefully Levi will provide the elite goaltending to put us over the top, and one of UPL, Leinonen, or Portillo can be a more than competent backup.

I'd say there is no 1C right now, Thompson and Cozens are the obvious choices for 1C of the future. Cozens has the most potential to become an elite 1C. I think also there is some guys in the pipeline that could break out and become that Elite 1C, all the first rounders we drafted this year have that type of potential.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I'd say there is no 1C right now, Thompson and Cozens are the obvious choices for 1C of the future. Cozens has the most potential to become an elite 1C. I think also there is some guys in the pipeline that could break out and become that Elite 1C, all the first rounders we drafted this year have that type of potential.

Yeah, Savoie and Ostlund could be solutions as well, not so sure about Kulich though. There is definitely a bright future in Buffalo, a lot of different variables to break right for them within their prospect system
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.

I think Thompson is for sure the 1C this season, unless someone breaks out in a big way (similar to how Thompson did last year) He scored 38 goals last year and was a ppg player after the first third or so of the season. With respect to the future is another question, someone out of Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich could surpass his play of last season, or he could regress to ~25 goals ~60 points and get beat out for 1 C. Or he could be shifted to wing later if enough of the centers hit, and Granato thinks he can keep up his play at wing.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Yeah, Savoie and Ostlund could be solutions as well, not so sure about Kulich though. There is definitely a bright future in Buffalo, a lot of different variables to break right for them within their prospect system

I think Thompson is for sure the 1C this season, unless someone breaks out in a big way (similar to how Thompson did last year) He scored 38 goals last year and was a ppg player after the first third or so of the season. With respect to the future is another question, someone out of Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich could surpass his play of last season, or he could regress to ~25 goals ~60 points and get beat out for 1 C. Or he could be shifted to wing later if enough of the centers hit, and Granato thinks he can keep up his play at wing.

I agree that our 1C this year is Thompson. I think the question stated by original poster is meant to be who is the Sabres ELITE 1C of the future. Some teams can have a 1C that is a point per game but probably isn't going to win you a cup. Look at the teams that have won cups, each team had a Elite/Superstar 1C to lead them to the cup. Mackinnon, Stammer/Point, ROR, Backstrom, Crosby, Teows, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk. I just am not sure if Thompson will every be to the level of those player. Cozens reminds me of a Teows/Kopitar player, Savoie, Ostlund, Kimmich are more a Point type players. IF any can become a top 10 elite center that is the real question IMO.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
I agree that our 1C this year is Thompson. I think the question stated by original poster is meant to be who is the Sabres ELITE 1C of the future. Some teams can have a 1C that is a point per game but probably isn't going to win you a cup. Look at the teams that have won cups, each team had a Elite/Superstar 1C to lead them to the cup. Mackinnon, Stammer/Point, ROR, Backstrom, Crosby, Teows, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk. I just am not sure if Thompson will every be to the level of those player. Cozens reminds me of a Teows/Kopitar player, Savoie, Ostlund, Kimmich are more a Point type players. IF any can become a top 10 elite center that is the real question IMO.

I don’t want to come across like I’m attacking you, but I think your definition of elite 1C is poor. Elite 1C I believe refers to the top 5 centers in the game. The 10th best C is an above average 1C but not really elite IMO. It’s unlikely in my mind that the Sabres get an elite 1C. Right now the elite 1Cs are McDavid, Draisaital, Matthews, Mackinnon, and arguments could be made for a few others. ROR has never been an elite 1C IMO, same with a few others on your list.
Now just because I don’t think the Sabres will have an elite 1C doesn’t change my perspective that the team being built will have legitamite cup aspirations. I think we could end up with 2 guys in the 10-20 best centers range, and that will be plenty for a deep team in all positions, which is what the Sabres are building. I think we could end up with 1 average production first line. A second line that produces like a below average first line, and a third line that produces like an average second line. Throw in a very strong defense headlined by Dahlin, power, and Samuelson, and hopefully elite goaltending from Levi (backed up by Portillo/UPL/Leinonen)
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
I don’t want to come across like I’m attacking you, but I think your definition of elite 1C is poor. Elite 1C I believe refers to the top 5 centers in the game. The 10th best C is an above average 1C but not really elite IMO. It’s unlikely in my mind that the Sabres get an elite 1C. Right now the elite 1Cs are McDavid, Draisaital, Matthews, Mackinnon, and arguments could be made for a few others. ROR has never been an elite 1C IMO, same with a few others on your list.
Now just because I don’t think the Sabres will have an elite 1C doesn’t change my perspective that the team being built will have legitamite cup aspirations. I think we could end up with 2 guys in the 10-20 best centers range, and that will be plenty for a deep team in all positions, which is what the Sabres are building. I think we could end up with 1 average production first line. A second line that produces like a below average first line, and a third line that produces like an average second line. Throw in a very strong defense headlined by Dahlin, power, and Samuelson, and hopefully elite goaltending from Levi (backed up by Portillo/UPL/Leinonen)

Completely agree with you, I think the list I made above applied to the season that the players had specifically. When the Blues won the cup ROR probably was a top 5 center including playoffs. Teows, Kopitar and Bergeron are all perennial world class centers. All of them are elite defensively right now as well.

I do completely agree the sabres are still building a great team and have a chance to win a cup even without a top5 world beater at center.

Franchise Centers who can win you a cup right now -
MacKinnon, Matthews, Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, Barkov.

Elite would include, Zib, Point, Aho, Stamkos, Bergeron, Eichel
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Just clarifying
tn

Just a comment to your comment "Is Tage Thompson the long term # 1 C solution problem?."

Well with the long term signing today....certainly the Sabres think is at least a long term # 2.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 3:07 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
tn

Just a comment to your comment "Is Tage Thompson the long term # 1 C solution problem?."

Well with the long term signing today....certainly the Sabres think is at least a long term # 2.

Yeah, I mean, high end 2C's getting 7+ million seems to be par for the course in today's market. I suppose the Sabres will have to look towards either Savoie or Ostlund now
palhal liked this.
Oct. 31, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Yes
CoopsTroops liked this.
Dec. 3, 2022 at 12:10 a.m.
Yes
Dec. 3, 2022 at 3:30 a.m.
Banned
Yes

Only took ya 5 months to finally settle on that conclusion tears of joy
Dec. 8, 2022 at 2:37 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Yes
Knuckl3s liked this.
Dec. 20, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
UnbiasedSabre
Only took ya 5 months to finally settle on that conclusion tears of joy

Hot take I still dont think hes a true C1. I think he could be doing the same thing lining up as a winger but a C1 needs to be winning faceoffs and right now the team is 31 in faceoff winning percentage. Being able to win big faces offs at the end of games or pp and get that possession is huge and I think it could have saved them a couple games/ games going into OT.

At the same time I dont want to break up that group but they need a top center they can put in and leave out at the end of games and on the pp. I think they should try for toews before the trade deadline, Hes #1 in the league right now, He could bounce between 2nd and 3rd line, He would bring some real playoff and veteran experience when the sabres have a chance at a late wild card push.

going into the summer they have an elite player with Tage, a young core, promising goaltending with UPL and Levi, strong backend and make the playoffs. They become a realistic landing spot for when top end guys reach free agency.
Jan. 2, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
Bedard23
Edited Mar. 15, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
If you asked me before the season I would’ve called you a moron for even asking that question as my answer was no. But as the season goes on it’s clear he very much could be
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
"Is Tage Thompson the 1C solution long-term?" Yes.

Would the Sabres have issues having Thompson and Dylan Cozens as 1C and 1AC?
Feb. 26, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: DragonKnight
"Is Tage Thompson the 1C solution long-term?" Yes.

Would the Sabres have issues having Thompson and Dylan Cozens as 1C and 1AC?

The think the Atlantic division rivals do, Thompson and Cozens signed long term for a total 14m. Great signings....one reason the Sabres are going to force in the East very soon.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
The think the Atlantic division rivals do, Thompson and Cozens signed long term for a total 14m. Great signings....one reason the Sabres are going to force in the East very soon.

The Sabres are already making noise this year. Thompson is contributing to that noise. The noise will be louder next season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll