Forums/Armchair-GM

Cognitive Dissonance

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 4, 2022
Published: Jul. 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Legit curiosity on how NYI and DET fans would react if Anderson and Petry actually get traded to their teams..... You've trained your brains to hate these guys (more then they deserve...), that you would have to deal with them being on your team....

Let's talk about it! What would your reactions be if these trades actually happen?
Trades
MTL
    Something NYI don't want to give up
    MTL
      Had another thread where I agreed Petry isn't a good fit for DET, but how would CapFriendly DET fans cope with having someone they've hated on so much on here, somehow gets traded to their team.
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the EDM
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      19$82,500,000$64,564,999$1,132,500$1,990,000$17,935,001
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $7,875,000$7,875,000
      C
      UFA - 8
      $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      C
      UFA - 3
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 5
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C
      UFA - 3
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $875,000$875,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $10,500,000$10,500,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      $2,875,000$2,875,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $762,500$762,500
      RD
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
      Blue
      Quoting: Billy12Bob
      If Petry were to be traded to Detroit it (more or less) forces a Hronek trade and we'd get a 34 year old expensive player in decline instead of a 24 year old cheaper player still improving. And with Detroit having no RD prospects apart from Tuomisto we could well be in a situation of having to acquire a new top-4 RD in only two years time.

Petry makes absolutely no sense at all from a team building perspective neither does it fit with any other move Yzerman has done earlier. If Hronek is to be replaced it should be with a better and younger player not a 34 year old declining one on a massive monster of a contract.

I suppose it doesn't make sense if you don't see the value in having a good, veteran to pair with Edvinsson to help his development. I'm not all that worried about the contract, especially if there's a bit of retention, because the Wings won't be stressed by the cap (in all likelihood) during its duration. You obviously like Hronek, I get it, but at this point I'm skeptical that there are any RHD in the organization that will end up being long term pieces aside from Seider.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
      Bo Horvat enjoyer
      Quoting: aedoran
      What or Who is a credible source?

Friedman, McKenzie, Dreger, Weeks, etc. I’d also say athletic writers are credible
      aedoran liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
      Seiders on the Storm
      Quoting: Blazingbat11
      I watch every Habs game. They main issue with Anderson since he arrived in MTL (and every Habs fan will agree with me here) is consistency (either with injuries or with how he plays). When he's off his game, yes, it does look like he's floating around. When he's on his game. Everyone notices him on the ice. He can snipe in the offensive zone and in transition he becomes a beast (forechecking and getting back on D).

I can assure you Anderson doesn't have poor vision. etc...... I'm not saying it's elite either, granted. but it's also not his style of play. He's a Power Forward, not a playmaker. He uses his size and speed to create space for his teammates. All this non-sense about low IQ seems more rooted in the Power Forward stereotype....

People criticizing his stats.... last year in his 1st year with the Habs he had 17goals in 52 games (that's on a 27goal pro-rated pace...) last year he had 19goals in 69games (that's still a 22-23goal pro-rated pace)... all while still being, rightfully, labelled as inconsistent.

He's not perfect, nobody is denying it. and the rumored value Hughes is asking for does seem over the top. but the hate you (and many others) have for him is unjustified.... period.

When a player signs a big contract he becomes easier to nitpick and criticize. Fans will accept players flaws when they're making peanuts. But as soon as he's getting millions he becomes a big target for mudslinging. Narratives are created even if they aren't true. The player then becomes labelled for something he isn't.

Fans love building up player's but love tearing them down even more. It's human nature.
      Blazingbat11 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
      Seiders on the Storm
      Quoting: AndrewLadd
      Friedman, McKenzie, Dreger, Weeks, etc. I’d also say athletic writers are credible

Friedman had another thought, did he? Let me guess. It began with "I'm wondering..."
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      Quoting: ISeeBlueHeLooks
      I suppose it doesn't make sense if you don't see the value in having a good, veteran to pair with Edvinsson to help his development. I'm not all that worried about the contract, especially if there's a bit of retention, because the Wings won't be stressed by the cap (in all likelihood) during its duration. You obviously like Hronek, I get it, but at this point I'm skeptical that there are any RHD in the organization that will end up being long term pieces aside from Seider.

If I can give more insight on Petry for you. If DET do intend on acquiring him as a veteran dman, I'd make sure any younger dman being pair with him be either a two-way D or pure Defensive D. Petry is a puck carrier offensive right shooting Dman. Expecting Petry to suddenly become a defensive D to look after a younger offensive dman is a no go... That's why Petry meshed so well with guys like Edmundson, Chiarot, Jordie Benn, etc. over the years.
      ISeeBlueHeLooks liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
      Quoting: AndrewLadd

That's about what I was thinking but even those guys are only right about half of the time.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
      Quoting: Db1899
      There has been no legitimate connection between the isles and Habs on an Anderson trade. The winger the isles are looking for is someone who can put up 60-70 pts and play with Barzal. Requirements would be high IQ and being a good passer to play give and go with Barzal. Anderson has low hockey IQ and can’t make a pass to save his life.

The most legitimate source who’s spoken about Anderson is the fourth period who said the isles are not linked to Anderson.

It is amazing how a blogger created the whole Anderson to NYI thing.
      Db1899, bagelbob, Jester9881 and 1 other person liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
      I watch every Habs game. They main issue with Anderson since he arrived in MTL (and every Habs fan will agree with me here) is consistency (either with injuries or with how he plays). When he's off his game, yes, it does look like he's floating around. When he's on his game. Everyone notices him on the ice. He can snipe in the offensive zone and in transition he becomes a beast (forechecking and getting back on D).

I can assure you Anderson doesn't have poor vision. etc...... I'm not saying it's elite either, granted. but it's also not his style of play. He's a Power Forward, not a playmaker. He uses his size and speed to create space for his teammates. All this non-sense about low IQ seems more rooted in the Power Forward stereotype....

People criticizing his stats.... last year in his 1st year with the Habs he had 17goals in 52 games (that's on a 27goal pro-rated pace...) last year he had 19goals in 69games (that's still a 22-23goal pro-rated pace)... all while still being, rightfully, labelled as inconsistent.

He's not perfect, nobody is denying it. and the rumored value Hughes is asking for does seem over the top. but the hate you (and many others) have for him is unjustified.... period.

Anders Lee is one of the best Power forwards in the NHL and he can pass fairly well. Just go type in “Josh anderson hockey Iq “ on Twitter search and you’ll see. This is a known flaw about his game.

Everything I’ve said about him is true. It’s not my opinion. I’m arguing why there is no legitimacy to this rumor and that Anderson would be a terrible fit on the islanders
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
      Quoting: ISeeBlueHeLooks

I don't mind trading Hronek but I wouldn't do it to replace him with Petry. Liljegren is a player I could see as a Hronek replacement.

Yzerman isn't going to bank on either Edvinsson or Johansson making the team out of camp. He's going to sign two veteran LD that can shore up the left side and in case one of the kids should force the issue in camp he will simply move Walman to #7 and Oesterle to GR and let the kid start on the 3rd pair with Lindström (which would be fine for both Simon and Albert).
      ISeeBlueHeLooks liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      Anders Lee is one of the best Power forwards in the NHL and he can pass fairly well. Just go type in “Josh anderson hockey Iq “ on Twitter search and you’ll see. This is a known flaw about his game.

Everything I’ve said about him is true. It’s not my opinion. I’m arguing why there is no legitimacy to this rumor and that Anderson would be a terrible fit on the islanders

Ah yes, referring to twitter, I forgot how that makes everything legitimate...

it's the exact opposite what you wrote. There is no definitive truth to what you're saying, and it's absolutely just you're opinion.

As I wrote in my previous reply to you. I agreed that there is no "real" source that links Anderson to NYI. but putting 2 and 2 together with the NYI legitimately looking for a winger, and the Habs legitimately fielding offers on Anderson. There is a connection to be made, even if you don't like it. and yes, that's my opinion. The whole explosion between fan bases has been on the reported asking price Hughes wants for Anderson, which has Habs fans excited, and NYI not so much...
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.

it's the exact opposite what you wrote. There is no definitive truth to what you're saying, and it's absolutely just you're opinion.

As I wrote in my previous reply to you. I agreed that there is no "real" source that links Anderson to NYI. but putting 2 and 2 together with the NYI legitimately looking for a winger, and the Habs legitimately fielding offers on Anderson. There is a connection to be made, even if you don't like it. and yes, that's my opinion. The whole explosion between fan bases has been on the reported asking price Hughes wants for Anderson, which has Habs fans excited, and NYI not so much...

It is the truth , Anderson is a terrible passer (just look at his assist rates) for starters and it’s well known that Anderson is a very dumb hockey player. If he wasn’t, he’d put up better results.

NYI are looking for a proven top line winger, not a bottom 6 plug. The “explosion” from isles fans is from Habs fans acting like Anderson to the isles for a 1st is realistic and spamming this site with bizarre trades. Isles fans know that Anderson to the isles isn’t happening.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      It is the truth , Anderson is a terrible passer (just look at his assist rates) for starters and it’s well known that Anderson is a very dumb hockey player. If he wasn’t, he’d put up better results.

NYI are looking for a proven top line winger, not a bottom 6 plug. The “explosion” from isles fans is from Habs fans acting like Anderson to the isles for a 1st is realistic and spamming this site with bizarre trades. Isles fans know that Anderson to the isles isn’t happening.

You (and people like you) are the reason for my post lol

if by a miracle of a chance that Anderson does get traded to the Islanders. The title of my post is what you will be experiencing.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.

if by a miracle of a chance that Anderson does get traded to the Islanders. The title of my post is what you will be experiencing.

It seems like you can’t accept the fact that Anderson is a pretty bad hockey player. The numbers don’t lie. Over the last 3 seasons Anderson has been in the 14th percentile in overall impact, meaning 86% of NHL forwards have performed better than him.

If Anderson does get traded to the isles, i still can’t lose. If Anderson struggles on the islanders , which is a guarantee then I’ll be happy
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.

<a href=61-AFCA8-D-888-E-4-F8-D-A5-D4-65214-FC0-A4-BB">
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      <a href=61-AFCA8-D-888-E-4-F8-D-A5-D4-65214-FC0-A4-BB">

You conveniently (perhaps unintentionally) included Anderson's last season with CBJ (where he only had 1 goal). and it even specifies in the notes that it pro-rates all seasons. So that last CBJ season would destroy anyone's analytics lol

Could you redo it just with the Habs seasons? (just the past 2 seasons). I'm genuinely curious what it looks like.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.
      You conveniently (perhaps unintentionally) included Anderson's last season with CBJ (where he only had 1 goal). and it even specifies in the notes that it pro-rates all seasons. So that last CBJ season would destroy anyone's analytics lol

Could you redo it just with the Habs seasons? (just the past 2 seasons). I'm genuinely curious what it looks like.

This is just last seasons card
      <a href=FC837675-12-C6-49-BE-9562-9-C8407530-D07">
      AndrewLadd liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:48 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      This is just last seasons card
      <a href=FC837675-12-C6-49-BE-9562-9-C8407530-D07">

cool thanks. There's no way for you to do it with both Habs seasons? 2 year range?
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
      cool thanks. There's no way for you to do it with both Habs seasons? 2 year range?

It only allows 1 or 3 season sample size, which is why I did the last 3
      Blazingbat11 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:01 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      It only allows 1 or 3 season sample size, which is why I did the last 3

I never subscribed, so I don't get to see these charts unless someone else posts them.

Last request! Could you do the 2021-2022 season? (1 year range). Ironically this past season would probably be his best analytically. the one you posted is for his 2020-2021 season.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
      I never subscribed, so I don't get to see these charts unless someone else posts them.

Last request! Could you do the 2021-2022 season? (1 year range). Ironically this past season would probably be his best analytically. the one you posted is for his 2020-2021 season.

It is his best, he’s still below average offensively but it’s the first time since the 18-19 season he’s been above average defensively. Overall he still has the impact of a low end 3rd liner.

<a href=7-D5366-B6-EDB7-49-DB-AFFC-3169852878-E1">
      Blazingbat11 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:33 p.m.
      Molson beer is meh
      It is his best, he’s still below average offensively but it’s the first time since the 18-19 season he’s been above average defensively. Overall he still has the impact of a low end 3rd liner.

Hmmmmm interesting.... well all 3 charts definitely confirm that you do not want Josh Anderson on your PP lol

In all seriousness, although GAR and xGAR aren't an all encompassing evaluation. the 3 charts do show that Anderson does indeed drive play (his xGAR is actually really solid), but rarely has anything to show for it, which is indicative of 3rd line players.

Can we at least agree this plays into the whole "maybe we can fix him" that makes him such an appealing asset to other GMs. The guy has still managed to put up "pro-rated" 20+goal seasons with the Habs with those analytics...
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
      No one wants to give up anything of value for Anderson. You've trained your brain to think otherwise.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:47 p.m.

Christ on a pony... this bogus rumor that the Islanders are interested in Anderson started on Twitter.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:47 p.m.
      Hmmmmm interesting.... well all 3 charts definitely confirm that you do not want Josh Anderson on your PP lol

In all seriousness, although GAR and xGAR aren't an all encompassing evaluation. the 3 charts do show that Anderson does indeed drive play (his xGAR is actually really solid), but rarely has anything to show for it, which is indicative of 3rd line players.

Can we at least agree this plays into the whole "maybe we can fix him" that makes him such an appealing asset to other GMs. The guy has still managed to put up "pro-rated" 20+goal seasons with the Habs with those analytics...

Anderson doesn’t drive play, his xGAR being above average in 21-22 is due to being an above average finisher. He’s pretty much a passenger at 5v5 but occasionally he can score a nice goal by himself off the rush.

I never doubted that GMs are interested in him, I’m just saying the isles aren’t that team. They have multiple players with Andersons skillset.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.

I'm as optimistic as they come, and I have always supported Lamoriello.

If this stupid trade went through, I'd be first in line demanding he gets fired.
      Blazingbat11 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll