Trades everyone will question collecting draft picks defensive forwards and RHD

Created by: GMTD
Team: 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 5, 2022
Published: Jul. 6, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All trades suggested by other ACGM's.

Buffalo ranked 23rd among all NHL teams allowing an average of 33 shots against per game.
Buffalo was one of the worst PK teams last year ranking 23rd over all in the NHL.
Last year Toews and Compher won 59% and 51.4% of their FO respectively, Buffalo was the worse FO team in the NHL last year ranking 32nd.
Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson closed out the 2020-21 season on a roll, replacing Asplund with Iafallo (born just 20 minutes from KeyBank Center) should provide good defensive skills and more offense next year.
Puljujarvi on the top line to provide defense for Skinner and Thompson
Tuch on the second line to provide veteran leadership for Cozens and Mittelstadt.
Toews and Iafallo provide veteran leadership for Quinn.
Compher centers the teams checking line.
Mrazek starts the season in Rochester and will be brought up if either Anderson or Luukkonen are injured.

There are many options for the defensive pairing this is only one of them.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$925,000
1$925,000
3$1,500,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Compher, J.T.
  2. 2023 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Krebs, Peyton
Additional Details:
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3372511
LAK
  1. Johnson, Ryan [Reserve List]
  2. Portillo, Erik [Reserve List]
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (BUF)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/606533
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$61,305,001$0$3,207,500$21,194,999
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$847,500$847,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 6, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
Well he certainly hasn't helped anyone in Buffalo accomplish anything. Not saying he's a bad player just doesn't have enough tools to be used in different areas and situations more of a pp shooter which is nice but oilers have that role already locked in with Leon. I'd be open to having him if the deal made more sense and if the contract was reasonable for how he would be used that seems doubtful.

Being one of the best players on that team is an accomplishment in itself, especially when Hall and Skinner had awful seasons in 2020-21 and Eichel was out.

Olofsson had a better season than JP in 2021-22.
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
Remember that former captain in Buffalo that acted like a cry baby and demanded a trade. His market value didn't suffer at all and Buffalo still got a very generous return. If jp gets moved it won't be at a reduced value.

His market value did reduce but that was mostly due to the severity of his injury. In his case he was a superstar that is locked, so him wanting out would drive down his market value until the bidding war ensues. His return would have been much more significant because it's not often that a 1C superstar that is locked becomes available. His injury prevented that.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
His market value did reduce but that was mostly due to the severity of his injury. In his case he was a superstar that is locked, so him wanting out would drive down his market value until the bidding war ensues. His return would have been much more significant because it's not often that a 1C superstar that is locked becomes available. His injury prevented that.

So his injury prevent a larger return not that he demanded out so even if jp does request a trade that doesn't instantly mean he's going to be worth less. Tampa made out like bandits dealing with Drouin. Colorado made out like bandits with duchene. It's a supply and demand market young big forward that has excellent possession numbers and very positive effect on team mates absolutely will hold and create a bidding war. Guarantee Holland won't move for peanuts after the work he's put in with jp.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 11:33 a.m.
So his injury prevent a larger return not that he demanded out so even if jp does request a trade that doesn't instantly mean he's going to be worth less. Tampa made out like bandits dealing with Drouin. Colorado made out like bandits with duchene. It's a supply and demand market young big forward that has excellent possession numbers and very positive effect on team mates absolutely will hold and create a bidding war. Guarantee Holland won't move for peanuts after the work he's put in with jp.

The value of a 2nd/3rd came from pro scouts of other teams, he's not expected to be a superstar like Drouin was. That being said there might very well be a bidding war and they get a first for him.

My point is with Foegele not being worth too much, Olofsson is probably worth more than JP so the Oilers would be asked to add. That being said the 1st on top would probably be silly to add. Olofsson having a higher market value than Puljujarvi doesn't necessarily mean Olofsson will return more or that Puljujarvi would return nothing. Like you said, there is a supply and demand aspect to things so a team might overpay (based on how good he is now) and he returns a great value (perhaps for both teams in the long run).
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
How? Jp is miles better. Every single oiler had improved stats with jp on the ice even Connor and Leon.

Come on, Olofsson played 40 games with a bad wrist injury and still had more goals and more assists than Jesse and Olofsson wasn't playing with who Jesse was. Is there areas Jesse might be better, probably, but with McDavid or Draistal Olofsson would be deadly while adding 30 assists.
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: BUFF36
Come on, Olofsson played 40 games with a bad wrist injury and still had more goals and more assists than Jesse and Olofsson wasn't playing with who Jesse was. Is there areas Jesse might be better, probably, but with McDavid or Draistal Olofsson would be deadly while adding 30 assists.

Leon and Connor are deadly and I'd argue jp would be even better with them because he is capable of creating turn overs and getting then the puck more frequently.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Edited Jul. 6, 2022 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone
You know, if you're going to take trade ideas from other AGMs, at least read through the comment section of the AGMs you take from to see how the trade was received before adding it to yours. That EDM trade was rightfully panned as awful for EDM.
Quoting: Trevy
So by this logic I could make a Buffalo AGM trading Tuch for Pulijiarvi and since it came from a Buffalo AGM it’ll be realistic for Oilers fans to make the same trade?
Quoting: FullSend
I like this trade a lot!! let’s use this logic to our advantage
Quoting: BUFF36
Actually not really, might be a little light from the Buffalo side. But Olofsson on McDavid or Draistal wing would be deadly. Kid has one of the best shots I have ever seen. And his 5vs5 play is pretty good now. That wrist injury he played through last year IMO was a blessing cause his overall game improved immensely.
Buffalo is getting a first with the best player in the trade its very one sided.
Quoting: GMBL
JP is hardly the best player in the trade, he has slightly better career totals playing with one of two top point producers in recent years, while Oloffson played on a team that barely scored in recent years.

JP is two years younger but he also wants out (for the second time). Superstars wanting out can drive down their market value and JP is far closer to being a bust than a superstar. So even, if he is the best player in the trade, he isn't the most valuable.

It's true that trade is probably terrible for the Oilers since they would have to pay Oloffson and at the cost of a first but with Holland I wouldn't be surprised if he did trade JP+WF+picks (probably not a first) for Oloffson if he doesn't retain Kane or land Giroux.
I will be completely candid here, if one wanted to dispute all of the other trades sure, but not the Puljujarvi trade.
First, Jesse plays on a team that scored 58 more goals than Buffalo but Olofsson scored 50% more goals and pts than Jesse.
Second, Puljujärvi played with either Leon or Connor over 75% of the time and managed to scrape together 14 goals and 36 pts in 65 games. A chair could do as well!
Third, Olofsson played with Cozens, Asplund, Krebs, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Jankowski, Eakin, Ruotsalainen, Murray and Quinn about 50% of the time and managed 20 goals and 49 pts in 72 games, yet many think Jesse is the better player.
Fourth, take Jesse away from Connor and Leon and he may not get 10 goals.
Give Victor 75% of his ice time with Connor and Leon, he would probably more than double Jesse's 14 and get 30 goals at least.
Fifth, 14 goals in 65 games is only one more than Hinostroza got in 62 games, in other words, Vinnie is probably as good as Puljujärvi if Vinnie played wing for Connor or Leon!

Please stop pretending Puljujärvi has much value when a journey NHL RW playing on a team that is among the lowest scoring teams in the NHL has only ONE less goal than Jesse!
Foegele has a negative value, his 26 pts (playing for the Oilers, 26 pts! how can one only get 26? could be had from a player with half of his $2,750,000 until 2023-24.
If you want Buffalo to make a small add on as a third, but considering Buffalo is also taking Foegele that has to help out the Oilers.

Finally, I hear Jesse causes a lot of turn overs, well he should be getting assists from all of those turn overs, yet he does not.
I cannot see how Jesse makes Leon and David better, please try to explain that one to their agents.
GMBL liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
Please stop pretending Puljujärvi has much value when a journey NHL RW playing on a team that is among the lowest scoring teams in the NHL has only ONE less goal than Jesse!
Foegele has a negative value, his 26 pts (playing for the Oilers, 26 pts! how can one only get 26? could be had from a player with half of his $2,750,000 until 2023-24.
If you want Buffalo to make a small add on as a third, but considering Buffalo is also taking Foegele that has to help out the Oilers.

The argument from Sabres fans re: Olofsson V Puljujarvi always seems to boil down to "offense is all that matters".
Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:18 p.m.
Eichel Tower
@BUFF36
The argument from Sabres fans re: Olofsson V Puljujarvi always seems to boil down to "offense is all that matters".
Why do I bother.
Rasmus Asplund had a lower TOI and OZ$ and higher PK TOI than Jesse and played with vastly inferior team mates yet had ONLY 9 fewer points.
It must be the Edmonton fans who regard Jesse's defensive skills so highly because he only received one Selke award vote so no on else in the hockey world sees it.
I mention Asplund because his defensive skills are probably on the same level as Jesse (and recognized by more Selke votes), but no one would dream to say Rasmus is more valuable than Victor.
I conceded that if you wish take Foegele or add a pick or do both if you wish, but to maintain Jesse would be valued on the same level as Victor is just home town eyes.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 3:58 a.m.
Why do I bother.

"Same." he says, as he proceeds to type out an essay.

EDM fans aren't bullish on this player without reason. We're talking about a player who boosted Connor's on-ice numbers to a ridiculous degree last season. The splits were as follows:

On-ice together: 69.4% GF, 61.3% xGF
Connor w/o Puljujarvi: 47.8% GF, 53.9% xGF
Puljujarvi w/o Connor: 58.6% GF, 57.2% xGF

And such numbers aren't unique to McDavid, but the sample is notably smaller for any other examples I could point to (Nuge and McLeod) and aren't worth bringing up here as a result.

Now, this isn't to suggest for a second that I think Jesse is the one driving all these results- that's clearly Connor. But what this data suggests is that there are things that Jesse does on-ice that seem to have drawn out the best from McDavid. To my eye, the main 3 things I saw regularly are: 1.) giving the line another viable zone entry option (opens up ice and takes the sole burden off McDavid), 2.) defaulting to acting as F1 when backtracking (so McDavid doesn't have to), and 3.) using his body to create small pockets of space for McDavid in-zone (not touching the puck, but nuanced body positioning).

Notice how these things are mostly separate from getting points or even play in the D-zone but instead focus on transition play and off-puck play. This is what I was talking about when I said the game isn't all offense (and defense). Now, Jesse clearly has his deficiencies. He's not a great finisher, he isn't as physical as you would like him to be, and plays did "die on his stick" enough times to warrant that narrative at least somewhat. But all players have their flaws; I focus on what it is they do well and if that's something I value. In Jesse's case, I see a player like Jere Lehtinen. He rarely scored more than 50 points but was nonetheless an invaluable asset to his team.

If I'm to speak for Oilers fans, what we're worried about is losing a "details" player that should be cheap to retain cap-wise in exchange for a flashier player whose numbers will inflate alongside Connor (w/o actually enhancing the on-ice goal share because he doesn't cover for Connor's flaws) and then will price himself out of EDM as a result. That's what we see in Olofsson and that's why we don't value him the way Sabres fans do.

I hope this has sufficiently explained the gap between our positions so that you can better understand Oilers fans' POV.

Regarding Asplund, if I'm a team like EDM with a host of elite offensive talent that's trying to get over the hump to win a Cup, it's possible that I would value a player like Asplund about as much as a player like Olofsson. Winning Cups requires a broad array of skillsets and low game-to-game variance in performance- something one-dimensional snipers aren't well-known for.
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:57 a.m.
Eichel Tower
"Same." he says, as he proceeds to type out an essay...
It all depends on the line chemistry I suppose:
Alex Tuch
On-ice together:100.00% GF, 73.27% xGF
Tuch w/o Olofsson: 50.00% GF, 52.00% xGF

Casey Mittelstadt
On-ice together:56.52% GF, 45.29% xGF
Mittelstadt w/o Olofsson: 25.00% GF, 25.00% xGF

Rasmus Asplund
On-ice together:57.58% GF, 52.12% xGF
Asplund w/o Olofsson: 35.71% GF, 51.23% xGF
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:27 a.m.
It all depends on the line chemistry I suppose

Chemistry certainly plays a role, but that's not all it is.

He played all of 6 mins with Tuch so there's really no point in even looking at that data. Further, you neglected to include the results for Olofsson when away from each of those players:

Casey Mittelstadt
On-ice together: 56.5% GF, 45.3% xGF
Mittelstadt w/o Olofsson: 21.1% GF, 46.7% xGF
Olofsson w/o Mittelstadt: 37.0% GF, 48.4% xGF

Rasmus Asplund
On-ice together: 57.6% GF, 52.1% xGF
Asplund w/o Olofsson: 29.4% GF, 50.6% xGF
Olofsson w/o Asplund: 35.6% GF, 42.2% xGF
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:41 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Chemistry certainly plays a role, but that's not all it is.

He played all of 6 mins with Tuch so there's really no point in even looking at that data. Further, you neglected to include the results for Olofsson when away from each of those players:

Casey Mittelstadt
On-ice together: 56.5% GF, 45.3% xGF
Mittelstadt w/o Olofsson: 21.1% GF, 46.7% xGF
Olofsson w/o Mittelstadt: 37.0% GF, 48.4% xGF

Rasmus Asplund
On-ice together: 57.6% GF, 52.1% xGF
Asplund w/o Olofsson: 29.4% GF, 50.6% xGF
Olofsson w/o Asplund: 35.6% GF, 42.2% xGF

Thanks I think you proved my point that Olofsson makes some of line mates better.

As I said it all depends upon line chemistry.
Olofsson makes some line mates better, others not so much.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
Thanks I think you proved my point that Olofsson makes some of line mates better.

As I said it all depends upon line chemistry.
Olofsson makes some line mates better, others not so much.

Well, the point there is as much that the linemates also make him better. Both were mutually beneficial arrangements. The difficult part of using such splits is that a REALLY poor stretch with an even semi-common linemate can really skew numbers. Ideally, we'd want at least 500 minutes with each linemate before attempting to draw any conclusions.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 10:16 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: junoandkeisha
Toronto isn’t giving up a 1st to get rid of Mrazek. FINAL!
Would you like to comment on this again.
Nearly the same, Buffalo would have to have added another pick, nearly the actual trade.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 6:58 a.m.
Would you like to comment on this again.
Nearly the same, Buffalo would have to have added another pick, nearly the actual trade.

The 2nd that Chicago gave up is almost as good as Toronto’s 1st. Where as the Buffalo 3rd would be the 74th pick. I think you would agree that there is a big difference of giving up the 25th pick for the 38th rather than the 74th. But I will admit I still am shocked but happy all the same.
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 7:06 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: junoandkeisha
The 2nd that Chicago gave up is almost as good as Toronto’s 1st. Where as the Buffalo 3rd would be the 74th pick. I think you would agree that there is a big difference of giving up the 25th pick for the 38th rather than the 74th. But I will admit I still am shocked but happy all the same.
Thank you my friend.
You are 100% correct.
I actually thought Buffalo's 2nd for Toronto's first was fair, I over reached on this trade when I saw a Leaf's fan post it.
As you can see I was trying to get as many first picks.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll