SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

some reporter sadi the sens want josh anderson hes a cap dump and bad

Created by: sens4lifeeeeee
Published: Jul. 6, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Salary Cap: $82,500,000
Season Days: 185/186 (99%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because one of the teams does not meet the minimum 3 goaltender requirement

Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Anderson, JoshMontreal CanadiensNHL-$5,470,430011---0000--
Roy, JoshuaWaivers ExemptMontreal CanadiensMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Calgary FlamesCGY)---100------
2022 3rd round pick (Logo of the Anaheim DucksANA)---010------
2023 2nd round pick (Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMTL)---010------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOTT)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$1,923,3341933515917
Change$5,470,430-1-2-20-20
Final$7,393,764 (↑)18 (↓)31 (↓)49 (↓)57 (↓)17000

Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOTT)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Anderson, JoshMontreal CanadiensNHL-$5,470,430011---0000--
Roy, JoshuaWaivers ExemptMontreal CanadiensMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Calgary FlamesCGY)---100------
2022 3rd round pick (Logo of the Anaheim DucksANA)---010------
2023 2nd round pick (Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMTL)---010------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$27,131,7861434473816
Change-$5,470,430122020
Final$21,661,356 (↓)15 (↑)36 (↑)49 (↑)310 (↑)16000
Jul. 6, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
i saw a rumour that it’s pick 7 for Anderson and Dvorak. As a sens fan i’m hella pissed about it
zizougaffar liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
This trade won't happen while I like Anderson he's not bringing back the 7 overall. The #26 could be use to be swap and pick sooner but don't feel taking out good pick in 2023 + giving for free Joshua Roy as he's developing really good right now.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:22 p.m.
Quoting: GDubb2Shiesty
i saw a rumour that it’s pick 7 for Anderson and Dvorak. As a sens fan i’m hella pissed about it

Oof, yeah I wouldn't take that as the Sens. Dvorak is an absolute no go for me right now. He has negative value.
GDubb2Shiesty liked this.
Jul. 6, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: GDubb2Shiesty

I saw this rumor as well.

The only way this makes sense is if the Canadiens are taking Murray and Zaitsev. No one knows the Senators exact budget, but it is unlikely they can add 10 million in real cash without moving equivalent cash out.

I made another thread, but I think the basis of the trade will be Anderson/Dvorak/Edmundson for Murray/Zaitsev/Del Zotto/7th overall. Then add in a few more picks and prospects from Ottawa.

That would be win/win for both sides if you weigh the needs of each team. Don't mistake that as me saying I want Ottawa to do it, or that it is a good trade on paper. You have to understand that a good trade for Ottawa is one that gets them into the playoffs, and for Dorion saves his job. When the team cannot spend money, their options are limited. They can't just go into the season with the same roster and miss the playoffs, because then there is a risk of young players like Chabot and Tkachuk will want out. They both are rumored to have told Dorion they need the Senators to go out and acquire them real help on the ice. Which I assume translates into, spend money to surround them with talent to win.

So it's a win for Ottawa because it's cash in/cash out this year, but every player they move out is redundant dead weight. Say what you want about Anderson's contract long term, but he is a top 6 power forward who has averaged 30 goals per 82 games in his career. Dvorak is a good middle 6 center. Edmundson is a solid big and tough D who can play in the top 4 but might be better suited as a 4/5 tweener on a great team.

If Dvorak has a good season, Ottawa should be able to flip him next year for assets before his 8 team NTC kicks in. At 4.45M x 2 years, he might be a better option for teams who need a 3C but don't want to commit 3-5 years to a UFA. I assume the Senators would flip him to a cap team next year because his real money salary would escalate to almost 6 million. He might be worth a 2nd+3rd, or a high 2nd/very late 1st (Canadiens overpaid for him under duress). So what acquiring him for 1 year and flipping him for Ottawa accomplishes is that they get him as a rental for 1 year as their 3C, they recoup assets from the MTL trade, and the MTL trade ends up money in/money out over the first 2 years of it.

Why is it a win for Montreal? Well, we'll assume the market for Dvorak and Anderson is soft due to their term and money owed. The cap is tight, and teams are reticent to take on contracts with 3+ years of term left, unless the player is a good value on that contract. Both players aren't negative value, but they certainly aren't out playing their cap hits. Montreal extracts their 7th overall pick from the deal, along with whatever other assets Ottawa kicks in. Even more importantly, Montreal is rebuilding. They likely expect to start improving in 2 years. What happens in 2 years as a consequence of this trade? Murray/Zaitsev/Del Zotto are off the books. If they don't make this trade, Anderson and Dvorak are still on the books, and Anderson if he isn't playing well will be very difficult to move. So this trade gets Montreal a blue chip asset with the 7th overall pick, and long term cap flexibility so that they can start to surround their new young core with trade acquisitions/signings. Which is the stage Ottawa should be in now, but they can't do it because of money.

It would be cap neutral or better for Montreal (depending on if they bury any of the players). Edmunson was paid his bonus already, which offsets Ottawa already paying Zatisev's bonus.

It's a terrible trade for Ottawa if you ignore their situation. But you have to re-adjust what it means for Dorion to make a good trade, because this isn't NHL 22. He can't just load his last save file. If the Senators don't actively improve this season, there will be hell to pay. He can't improve the team due to bad contracts. Kent Hughes is going to throw Dorion a long term anchor in Anderson in order to help Dorion get into the playoffs in the short term, and he will hope that by the time Anderson declines, the Senators can finally spend their away out of that bad contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll