Forums/Armchair-GM

CBJ now that Boqy is back

Created by: benjgc
Team: 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 6, 2022
Published: Jul. 6, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'd have given more thought to signing a rugged D, but barring a trade of Bean, I just don't see the fit. Coaching staff loves Blankenburg.

Draft well (dream scenario for me: Gauthier, one of Nazar/Savoie, and one of Hutson/Odelius at 44OA), and this team is on the upswing. No need to go over the top right now, not until you've got a roster that's closer to a deep run.

Don't think we see Johnson in the top 6 or Marchenko in the Show to start the year, but both will happen probably within a month or two. Could also very well see a trade of Robinson, Bemstrom, or even Texier.

Very much value feedback here.

Post-draft edit: kind of inverted from my hoped-for scenario, but Jiricek, Mateychuk, and Del Bel Belluz are all really solid picks, honestly. Still wish this org. had a lot more talent down the middle. Moved Chinakhov and Johnson to Cleveland (since they're both waivers-exempt and could use more seasoning, particularly if Johnson's gonna be a centreman) and brought up Danforth and Foudy (but I think he needs a change of scenery).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
2$1,700,000
2$1,050,000
2$825,000
Trades
CBJ
    Doesn't have to be Washington, just any team for a 6th or 7th, whatever you can get. He's not really a fit with Lars.
    WSH
    1. Stenlund, Kevin [RFA Rights]
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$68,433,333$0$850,000$14,066,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,525,000$1,525,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,583,333$9,583,333
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $787,500$787,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $2,800,000$2,800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,333,333$2,333,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 5:57 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Nice signing! (Or re-signing.)
    benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:07 p.m.
    Would particularly value feedback from @viqsi @AndrewPawlack @AJP_18
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
    If you're going to do the "time to move on" thing with Stenlund, I'd expect something similar with Carlsson too. Since both are RFA rights only, tho, I doubt we'd get anything as nice as a draft pick.

I'd also like to find at least one other RD out there to serve as backup in case Blankenburg doesn't work out (G-d forbid) or for when Boqvist is inevitably injured again... smile And if we get someone who can play top pairing, all the better (but I'm not holding my breath).
    benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:14 p.m.
    Quoting: Viqsi
    If you're going to do the "time to move on" thing with Stenlund, I'd expect something similar with Carlsson too. Since both are RFA rights only, tho, I doubt we'd get anything as nice as a draft pick.

I'd also like to find at least one other RD out there to serve as backup in case Blankenburg doesn't work out (G-d forbid) or for when Boqvist is inevitably injured again... smile And if we get someone who can play top pairing, all the better (but I'm not holding my breath).

Listen, if we can get Lyubushkin or Rutta for under $1.5M, I'm on board. Otherwise, I just don't really see who the fit is.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:16 p.m.
    Quoting: benjgc
    Listen, if we can get Lyubushkin or Rutta for under $1.5M, I'm on board. Otherwise, I just don't really see who the fit is.

I'd like to believe Manson might be available and willing now that he's got his Cup.
    AndrewPawlack liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:31 p.m.
    Quoting: Viqsi
    I'd like to believe Manson might be available and willing now that he's got his Cup.

I suspect a stronger contender will outbid us for him, and honestly I don't see the need to throw money at him right now; analytics are not a fan of his game, and he doesn't offer us a long-term fix.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:33 p.m.
    I suspect a stronger contender will outbid us for him, and honestly I don't see the need to throw money at him right now; analytics are not a fan of his game, and he doesn't offer us a long-term fix.

Of course he's not long term. Long term would be Ceulemans and/or whomever we get in this draft. Just a quality stopgap is desirable to keep Peeke and Boqvist from being overwhelmed.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
    Also forgot to tag @dopplsan
    dopplsan liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
    18 lotteries, 0 wins
    I'm a big fan of Manson as a possible RD option but as stated above he may have a bit of bidding on him, and he's also already been rumored back to the Ducks.
    While I'm glad we kept Boqvist, this doesn't really do much to help the defense, as of last season watching Boqvist was pretty much just a right handed Werenski with that shot, but not as good at closeout defense. Werenski really makes up for his lack of throwing the body with his stick play and gap control, while Boqvist still seems more hesitant. Glad that Peeke has finally developed and is improving, as after a while it seemed we may not get him, or he'd turn into a Ryan Collins.
    I like your lines pretty much through and through, hoping maybe we can get a center in the future to put Roslovic at wing, his faceoff numbers and defensive intensity are quite weak.
    I agree with an attempt to get anything for Stenlund, some fans are still hopeful for him, but watching games he seemed to just be like another Riley Nash, except he only did good when he had time on the powerplay, which wasn't much, only when he was up for injury sub. Although myself im not the biggest on Foudy either, so maybe package both of them for a higher pick, or as throw ins like in the Saad trades.
    Also agree with what you said about Marchenko. I do not like the fans that are already acting like he's gonna slot right in and produce. Do I want him to? Of course, But you can't act like it yet, he hasn't played yet. I'd like to keep Robinson, and I love Texier as well, but after this year considering he did not play much, and we had no trouble scoring, his value could still be good to get a much bigger piece like Chychrun or whatever else
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:23 p.m.
    I think we'll see a Chychrun deal and that Bean could very much be a part of that. It fits too much for what we have.

I don't mind keeping Carlsson. His entry defense microstats were solid and I can very much see him being the 7th D over Bayreuther who is the definition of a replacement level player.

Lines are obviously not the entire point of the exercise but I think we'd be remiss to not put Roslovic in the top 6 with either Jenner or Nyquist on the wing. Voracek obviously did a lot of work there but his D is very bad and we need Laine to be able to produce without him.

Foudy also has to be a scratch or traded or we'll lose him on waivers.

I liked Blankenburg a lot with the club, but Carlsson also showed out in his late season run/against the penguins in the playoffs. I can see a way where Blankenburg, Johnson and Christiansen all start out in Cleveland. They have connections and would form a nice little group down there will they work on their games. I could see one of Marchenko or Chinakov down there with them. This gives Bemstrom, Foudy and Texier runway to earn a spot on the team. If they aren't up to snuff then the callups can start rolling. I think those three are all better suited for bottom 6 roles than either Marchenko or Chinakov.

You're also missing Danforth who was really excellent last year. If we move on from Nyquist I can see him filling that spot.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
    Nah.
    Also forgot to tag dopplsan

I’m beyond flattered.

I agree one of KJ or Marchy will/should start in CLE, but we’ll see. I said the same for Sillinger.

Not a fan of the Bems contract. I doubt he gets more than a one year deal at less than a mil. He’s likely either traded this off-season, or is claimed on waivers.

I’d be very happy with that Laine contract; but, I think he is angling for more money at less term right now. Considering the flat cap, it’s frankly the smart move.

I agree Blankey is probably given a lot of leash - I was a fan of his game too, and could see his ceiling as a good middle-pairing guy. That being said, I still see one of Jiricek (my preference) or Nemec taken at 6OA. But, GMJK has surprised before. Id dig Gauthier and Savoie at 6 and 12 - don’t know enough about Nazar to say.

Lines look good to me, except Peeke on the top pair, and Chinny on the 4th line. Peeke held his own when he was playing there last season, but it’s not where he should be long-term; but, I get it, we don’t have a lot of RD right now to have much a choice.

For Chinny, we have a 1st rounder whose game is built around his shot who should not be languishing on the 4th line playing six minutes a night in a checking role. CBJ did this to him last season a bit too much for my liking, and I was not a fan. Put the guy in the AHL - sacrificing a season or so when he is young can pay dividends down the line. CBJ did the same to screw up Bemstrom, and look how that turned out. I like Danforth, and think he should be in his spot instead.
    benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.
    I think we are in a very good position moving forward. Stay the course. I really hope cutter is there at 6 but I think we end up with jiricek. Just a gut feeling.

As for free agents. Even signing a guy for a few years around the price of boqvist wouldn’t be too bad. Lybush would be ideal to show the young guys how to play in our d zone as that’s where he’s most effective. Plus would be a great partner for werenski.

What do you think we should do with guys like nyquist and voracek. Keep them as mentors or move them asap for picks?
    dopplsan liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
    Quoting: The_Cannon
    I think we are in a very good position moving forward. Stay the course. I really hope cutter is there at 6 but I think we end up with jiricek. Just a gut feeling.

As for free agents. Even signing a guy for a few years around the price of boqvist wouldn’t be too bad. Lybush would be ideal to show the young guys how to play in our d zone as that’s where he’s most effective. Plus would be a great partner for werenski.

What do you think we should do with guys like nyquist and voracek. Keep them as mentors or move them asap for picks?

If I was GM, we'd be moving one of them now. Don't think Jarmo sees it the same way, though.
    Friendly_Cannon and dopplsan liked this.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
    Nah.
    If I was GM, we'd be moving one of them now. Don't think Jarmo sees it the same way, though.

IMO, get what you can for both. I don’t think either are actively shopped, but Depending on how the season goes, I can see Gus as a deadline move.

Jake is a bit more complicated because of his high cap hit, but with a chunk of retention, he can fetch something good.

I see Boone and Kuraly as the next wave of “veteran leader” type guys.
    Jul. 6, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
    Would particularly value feedback from viqsi AndrewPawlack AJP_18

I like the contracts.

For the draft I’d like to see is get Juricik and Kasper if possible. I see them as the biggest fits.
    Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
    Quoting: Ajp_18
    I like the contracts.

For the draft I’d like to see is get Juricik and Kasper if possible. I see them as the biggest fits.

1 out of 2 ain't bad! Would've been thrilled to grab Nazar or Lambert rather than Mateychuk, but I don't make those decisions.
    Ajp_18 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll