SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI/OTT) - DeBrincat for 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
They got a bigger return for Hagel. If this was the deal, they could've said no and dealt him 50% at the TDL for more. FML. Didn't even get a prospect back...

they 100% did not get a better return for hagel. pick 7 is worth more by itself than all the tampa pick.
Stones6160 and phillyjabroni liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Cool
Quoting: CapFriendly

Could of got the 2nd overall pick
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
WTF HAWKS

Can you just not be stupid for once? I swear to God. Are we just gonna trade every good, young player for a bad return? I give it 3 years until we trade whoever we select with 7th overall pick. This is Panarin all over again
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:34 p.m.
1-0 them
wow
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Holy ****
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:38 p.m.
exo2769
So stupid. I would have rather kept Debrincat and traded him at the TDL.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
Next is Dach. Then Kane.

Then CHI whiffs on 1OA and doesn't get Bedard.

The only way it could be even more tragic than missing out on top 3, is if they draft 3-5 bust in the first round next year in what should be a super deep draft.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.
BORDEGOD
Chicago must really want Conor Geekie
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
One aspect Senators fans need to watch for is that this trade was made with the intention of renting Debrincat for 1 or 1.5 seasons. The Senators need to stagger their contracts with all the young big money players both signing extensions and getting contracts that are back loaded. Which means their salary goes up year to year, and the Senators budget gets more constricted.

Dorion will get a 1st/2nd/3rd for Debrincat as a rental in 1.5 seasons if he trades him. So given how weak the top 10 of this draft is viewed, he can recoup a good chunk of the value he gave up.

I am skeptical about the Senators and Debrincat getting a long term deal done. But we'll see. He likely wants something similar to what Fiala got. So if that was a roadblock for the Senators acquiring Fiala, I don't see how they get something done with Debrincat. He can be taken to team elected arbitration next year, which can get his salary as low as 7.65M.

A big part of their summer moves right now is also that Stutzle is up for an extension. Ideally, you want him to be excited about the direction of the team so you can trick him into signing an 8x8 Jack Hughes style contract this summer, and then he is stuck here.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Matt Murray saved the Sens with his NMC.

Quoting: Random2152
So... did Matt Murray just single handedly save the Sens by nixing that ****ty Buffalo trade?

Because LMAO they FLEECED the Blackhawks good lord!

Quoting: toque
Dorian: Buffalo, here is #7 overall for Matt Murray

Matt Murray: I'm not going there

Dorian: Damnit, guess I have to get Debrincat instead

Quoting: Stones6160
Great deal for Ottawa

Now do yourselves a favour
Retire Matt Murray’s number and NTC for saving you from trading him+7 for 16 with retention

Quoting: Salzy
Massive L for the Hawks

Send go from 7OA and Murray retained for 16OA to 7OA, 39OA and a future 3 for DeBrincat

Matt Murray for Prime Minister 😂

Darren Dreger just got played.

There's nothing else to it.
Stones6160 and areax91 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: drambui
they 100% did not get a better return for hagel. pick 7 is worth more by itself than all the tampa pick.

They got 2 1sts AND 2 NHL players for Hagel. Debrincat who has 2 41 goal seasons in 5 years and I think is like 6th in NHL in last 5 years for total goals scored all he gets is the 7OA plus the two other picks. Not even a prospect. Not even a player. $hit....not even Matt Murray!
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.
torontos finest
Personally, I think whoever the Hawks draft at both 7th and 39th won't end up having the same value as Debrincat would've provided in the coming years.

I think Chicago could've gotten a B-tier prospect out of the trade as well. Great trade for Ottawa, especially considering earlier reports were about them trying to trade that 7th overall to get rid of Matt Murray. Much better use of assets.
Earth liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: exo2769
So stupid. I would have rather kept Debrincat and traded him at the TDL.

You don't get the 7th overall+39th overall+3rd at the deadline.

You also risk that he gets hurt, plays poorly, etc. He just came off a career year. The concept is to sell high. How much better can he get?

Lastly, they shed 9 million dollars in salary and 6.4 million in cap. They could turn around and use that 6.4 million to acquire a bad contract and get further assets, or they can use it to sign a player for "free". There is value there.

The only way this was a bad trade for Chicago is if you are convinced that a long term extension with Debrincat would have been possible. Given they are entering a rebuild, I highly doubt he would want to stay.
Stones6160 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: mondo
Personally, I think whoever the Hawks draft at both 7th and 39th won't end up having the same value as Debrincat would've provided in the coming years.

I think Chicago could've gotten a B-tier prospect out of the trade as well. Great trade for Ottawa, especially considering earlier reports were about them trying to trade that 7th overall to get rid of Matt Murray. Much better use of assets.

Trading 7th overall to get rid of Matt Murray is fake news.

Nothing else to it.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:48 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: budgeteam
You don't get the 7th overall+39th overall+3rd at the deadline.

You also risk that he gets hurt, plays poorly, etc. He just came off a career year. The concept is to sell high. How much better can he get?

Lastly, they shed 9 million dollars in salary and 6.4 million in cap. They could turn around and use that 6.4 million to acquire a bad contract and get further assets, or they can use it to sign a player for "free". There is value there.

The only way this was a bad trade for Chicago is if you are convinced that a long term extension with Debrincat would have been possible. Given they are entering a rebuild, I highly doubt he would want to stay.

Never said you would get the 7th overall, but if Hagel can get (2) 1sts and (2) prospects...The CAT should have been able to get more. It's a tough market right now I guess, but he didn't have to FORCE a trade which is what he did.
Brad Boyes please Wq
Quoting: sensonfire

Nothing else to it.

Source? I haven’t seen anything against it being false?
Andy_Dick liked this.
Banned
Oh boy, is Kyle Davidson gonna be long for Chicago or what
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
I thought we fired Bowman.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: mondo

Trades don't work that way though. That would only make sense if teams had lifetime control over the rights to players. There is no guarantee Debrincat stays in Chicago, and it is very reasonable to assume he is going to leave based on the fact that they are entering a rebuild. They likely had some indication that he might not be interested in playing through a rebuild.

So if that is true, then the question is, does Chicago get a bigger return by waiting and dealing Debrincat at the deadline, or next off season? The answer is almost certainly no. Other than Matt Duchene, who is the exception to the rule, show me players with 2 years of team control (and a high QO to boot) who have returned this much. It's pretty rare. The team selling off a player with limited team control usually gets pennies on the dollar.
phillyjabroni and Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Kjell_Forsman
It's a fantasy sports site with no age minimum. half the users on here are probably in high school. What were you expecting?

fair point... i guess something realistic not #2 overall + 2020 7oa pick + a solid D prospect.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
Pop Pop
I mean how much more did they think debrincat would get? Its not a bad deal. Ottawa gets better and Chicago ensures they get better odds in the bedard lottery.
phillyjabroni liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
mokumboi
A shockingly hideous trade for the Hawks... I LOVE IT.
areax91 and Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: sensonfire

Nothing else to it.

That is the only thing that makes sense, but situations are also fluid. Ottawa may have thought they were out in Debrincat, or maybe ownership saw the reaction to the Murray scenario and got spooked into spending more to make a splash. Who knows. Melnyk's daughters are basically teenage zoomers. Good chance they glamor searched themselves on Twitter after the Matt Murray trade and had an aneurysm.

We will find it if the original Murray trade was true based on what happens next. If Ottawa attaches someone like Greig or Pinto to Murray, then it was probably true. If Ottawa goes into the season with 80+ million committed to their roster, it was probably BS.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a three way trade for Murray with a third team getting assets to eat salary and send him to Toronto, and Mrazek either going to Ottawa or the third team. Dorion must have a Murray trade figured out if he pulled the trigger on this. Again, unless something has changed in the last few hours.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:54 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Stones6160
Source? I haven’t seen anything against it being false?

Why would Ottawa drop from 7 to 16 AND retain Matt Murray's salary?

It never made any sense.

If you think about it, Dreger was just the mouthpiece for Dorion.

Same scenario when there were rumours that Matthew Tkachuk was offered for Jack Eichel.

Instead, Eichel was traded for Tuch, Krebs and a 1st the next day.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/nhl-rumors-flames-huge-jack-eichel-trade-offer-includes-matthew-tkachuk
Jul. 7, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

drambui liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit