SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI/OTT) - DeBrincat for 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Is OTT really that clear of a winner? I'll be interested to see how DeBrincat performs without a world class player on his other side. Not to mention his QO next year is $9 million and I believe he also has arb rights.

Walks to free agency in 2024. Ottawa now has a 2 year window
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: toque
Dorian: Buffalo, here is #7 overall for Matt Murray

Matt Murray: I'm not going there

Dorian: Damnit, guess I have to get Debrincat instead

Mind blowing
toque liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:30 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: jassan28
DeBrincat-Norris-Batherson

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson have a ton of chemistry. I think they got Debrincat for Stutzle, who stylistically is a lot like Kane.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:36 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: palhal
I think the Hawks won the deal. I'll assume the Sens finish out of the playoffs in 22/23. DeBrincat kinda has the Sens by the nuts. Giving up three picks including number 7. Sens are in the position where they almost to pay his next contract cause he can walk in summer of 2024. Kings gave up a lot less in draft for a five year signed Fiala.
The Hawks get a premium draft pick. and cap going forward to sign a UFA this season for what DeBrincat will sign for soon.
Gaudreau (for example) and the first, second and three picks for DeBrincat seems like a win for Chicago.

The Senators needed to find a way to add impact players.

They are in year 5 of the rebuild that started in 17-18. They need to turn the corner.

If they manage to re-sign Debrincat long term it will be because the team has been sold.

As a Sens fan, I'm fine with them giving up 7th overall in a weaker than normal draft for 2 years of Debrincat. If they make the playoffs both years, it is more than worth it. If they don't, they will recoup the a 1st ++ for Debrincat st the 2024 TDL.

If this leads to playoffs, no young guys requesting a trade, and Stutzle extending this summer before he blows up next year, it's worth it.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:41 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Mind blowing

It has already come out that they had a trade in principal with Chicago with the later pick.

So the plan was Murray to BUF, and to still do Debrincat.

Chicago was apparently getting an extra prospect with the 16th+39th+3rd.

Even if the prospect was someone like Greig, that's not a steep price to pay to facilitate dumping over 11M of dead salary.

I assume they will end up making a worse deal to dump Murray. If they are talking to Arizona about Chychrun, a 3 way deal with Toronto makes sense where Ottawa gives up a huge package including their 2023 1st for Chychrun and ARZ taking Murray and Zaitsev, and then Murray being flipped to Toronto, possibly with Ottawa retaining 25 percent, and Arizona retaining 50 percent of the remaining 75 percent.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: budgeteam
The Senators needed to find a way to add impact players.

They are in year 5 of the rebuild that started in 17-18. They need to turn the corner.

If they manage to re-sign Debrincat long term it will be because the team has been sold.

As a Sens fan, I'm fine with them giving up 7th overall in a weaker than normal draft for 2 years of Debrincat. If they make the playoffs both years, it is more than worth it. If they don't, they will recoup the a 1st ++ for Debrincat st the 2024 TDL.

If this leads to playoffs, no young guys requesting a trade, and Stutzle extending this summer before he blows up next year, it's worth it.

If you're Sens fans aren't you glad the Sens were budget and talent observant when they didn't resign. Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. Rebuilding teams shouldn't be near the cap. Most teams spend within 10m of the cap, so I don't think it's Sens being cheap on players. Young players requesting trades,,,,,,means nothing. They are under teams control for seven years. Undoubtedly there are disgruntled players on every team.....
Jul. 7, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Quoting: nintendofan721
Did Stan Bowman secretly return?

No. Davidson said "here, hold my beer!" LoL
nintendofan721 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 10:22 p.m.
Good thing they traded for Seth Jones last summer, haha.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 10:31 p.m.
There could be a major shake-up in the Eastern Conference next season and definitely over the next 3 seasons. WASH and BOS are on the decline. OTT is on track to make the playoffs next season. I also expect the Devils and Islanders to contend. DET and BUF are a bit further back, but also on a much better trajectory than they were 1-2 years ago.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HiddenValley
I thought we fired Bowman.

From afar, he fired an arrow that pierced the hearts of Hawks fans
Jul. 8, 2022 at 4:06 a.m.
Pete
I see no winner in this trade. Will deBrincat be willing to sign contract extension? If not Senators may sell him for higher return in Feb 2023.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 4:38 a.m.
I love the trade for the Sens.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 8:16 a.m.
FanOfAllTeams
Quoting: Brian2016
Good thing they traded for Seth Jones last summer, haha.

That trade was horrible for them. 2 lottery picks Boqvist (2020 8th overall) and 2021 44th for Jones just to tear the team down the next year
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2022 at 12:38 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Pete
I see no winner in this trade. Will deBrincat be willing to sign contract extension? If not Senators may sell him for higher return in Feb 2023.

He is almost certainly gone from Ottawa in 2 years, unless there is a change in ownership or spending. They are loading up over the next 2-3 seasons.

I have a feeling they are going to bridge Norris and then Sanderson, in order to lower their salary over the next 3-4 seasons. They will try to get Stutzle signed to an 8 year contract this off season because he has potential to be an 80+ point player.

In a best case scenario, they are kicking the can down the road for a sale or for the Melnyks to take on partners. Worst case scenario is that this entire rebuild gave them a 2-3 year window starting this season, and guys ask for trades or have to be cycled out after that.
Jul. 9, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Mind blowing

Fake news
Jul. 10, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Lets go OTT so excited for this team next year!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 18, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
Bedard23
Kyle Davidson looks like a genius for this move now

DeBrincat looked very mid with Ottawa, now there’s a chance he might not resign with them

And Kevin Korshinski lit up the WHL

Summer of Dorian went down hill very fast
Steven_Stamkos and Leafsfan98 liked this.
May 1, 2023 at 1:34 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: IconicHawk
Kyle Davidson looks like a genius for this move now

DeBrincat looked very mid with Ottawa, now there’s a chance he might not resign with them

And Kevin Korshinski lit up the WHL

Summer of Dorian went down hill very fast

I don't think Dorion made this trade with the intention of re-signing Debrincat. He was always going to be a 1 year rental where they could flip him to get back a 1st.

People overreacted with the trade return. Players don't get huge returns very often. What Chicago got for Debrincat is in line with all the other big stars who were traded. Since it's unlikely he'd re-sign in Chicago, and because they are in a rebuild, they were smart to sell at the peak of his value.

His downturn in play did not do Ottawa any favors. They will not get a huge return for him. They should still recoup a 1st, but to will probably be a mid or late 1st.
May 12, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
I don't think Dorion made this trade with the intention of re-signing Debrincat. He was always going to be a 1 year rental where they could flip him to get back a 1st.

People overreacted with the trade return. Players don't get huge returns very often. What Chicago got for Debrincat is in line with all the other big stars who were traded. Since it's unlikely he'd re-sign in Chicago, and because they are in a rebuild, they were smart to sell at the peak of his value.

His downturn in play did not do Ottawa any favors. They will not get a huge return for him. They should still recoup a 1st, but to will probably be a mid or late 1st.

The biggest problem for Ottawa is DeBrincat could essentially strong arm his way to UFA this summer with his high QO. Ottawa can't afford 9m if he accepts the QO and I doubt many teams in a position to trade for DeBrincat want him at that price much less can afford him at that price. They'd likely need a sign and trade which is a tough sell for a 25yo multi 40 goal scorer coming off a down year.
May 12, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Turbo
The biggest problem for Ottawa is DeBrincat could essentially strong arm his way to UFA this summer with his high QO. Ottawa can't afford 9m if he accepts the QO and I doubt many teams in a position to trade for DeBrincat want him at that price much less can afford him at that price. They'd likely need a sign and trade which is a tough sell for a 25yo multi 40 goal scorer coming off a down year.

He is not signing for 9M. He can be taken to club elected arbitration and brought down to as low as 7.65M. Which means, both sides are likely to have incentive to meet somewhere in the middle.

Ottawa has no leverage, not because of the 1 year contract, but because they likely don't want to spend 8M+ on a winger when they have greater team needs and limited cap space. That is assuming the ownership situation is settled, and the new owners give the team the go ahead to spend.

We don't know what the market will be like for players. I think the market at the trade deadline surprised a lot of people with how aggressive teams were. If we go by the off season last summer, they probably will get a mid to late 1st and a few small plusses.

Keep in mind, the original deal for Debrincat was not for 7th overall. It was for 15th overall as the main piece. Dorion originally had two trades lined up. One that saw him trade down with Buffalo to dump Murray, and the other that saw him flip that pick for Debrincat. I think Dorion's original plan was always to rent Debrincat for a year and then recoup the main asset he gave up. If the asset was 15th overall, as he originally seemed to plan, that would have been a lot easier to recoup.

Dorion tried to do the same thing when he acquired Duchene. It is a strategy he used before. The rebuild was already on the horizon in 2017, the collapse only expedited it by a year. Dorion expected the Senators to be in the playoff hunt at the deadline, so he was not going to trade Turris, who was a pending UFA. At the same time, he wasn't extending any players long term, because Melnyk's finances were going to necessitate a rebuild after all the RFA deals ended at roughly the same time. So even know most people felt a 1st, a 1st round prospect, and additional picks was worth way more than the difference between upgrading from Turris to Duchene, if the Senators were a playoff team in 17-18 as Dorion expected, the Senators could have flipped Duchene in 2018-19 for a 1st++ and recoup most of what he gave up for the upgrade (or kept Duchene as an own rental, which has similar value since Turris would have been gone). Of course, it didn't go according to plan, because the Senators collapsed and their was no recouping a 4th overall pick.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
DORION GOT FLEECED... This move was a part of a flurry of moves that got him fired...

KD lander, arguably, the 2 best prospects at their respective position
Nov. 13, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Bedard23
trade grades at the moment:

Chicago: A-

Ottawa: F
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

F-
Feb. 15 at 4:12 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES

Yeah. Man Dorion lost this one for the Sens badly.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit