SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/The Box

Hockey cards thread

Oct. 4, 2017 at 8:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Who here has put a Dan Girardi card in the garbage? I haven't but most people would ...

I don't throw away cards. Likely have one in one of my sleeves or boxes in the basement.

yay!!! someone who actually hasn't done that!! lol
Feb. 10, 2018 at 9:44 p.m.
yay!!! someone who actually hasn't done that!! lol

You should probably sell your cards now before they dip in price after the player retires.

As for Dan Girardi cards going in the garbage, pffft he was once pretty good.... Do you like crappy GM's? I have a Garth Snow 1993 Classic rookie card worth basically nothing because he didn't live up to the hype. He went 21-0-1 in hockey east his senior year with a 2.08 GAA lol.... turned into a total crap sack who's still underperforming from his managerial office.
Mar. 14, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
I don't collect nearly what I used to. Some of my favorites though...

Nathan MacKinnon Autograph Rookie (x2)
Patrice Bergeron Rookie
Tuukka Rask Autograph Rookie
Tyson Barrie Letter (I think its an E)
Filip Forsberg Autograph Rookie #'d to 10
Mar. 14, 2018 at 6:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ON3M4N
I don't collect nearly what I used to. Some of my favorites though...

Nathan MacKinnon Autograph Rookie (x2)
Patrice Bergeron Rookie
Tuukka Rask Autograph Rookie
Tyson Barrie Letter (I think its an E)
Filip Forsberg Autograph Rookie #'d to 10

I have a signed Torey Krug rookie card, but i have at least one Jagr rookie card and i also have a McDavid rookie card, a Crosby rookie card, and an Ovechkin rookie card.
Mar. 14, 2018 at 6:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Zach
Cool, what's your favorite type of cards to collect?

For me, it's good cards, lol
Mar. 25, 2018 at 9:31 p.m.
HawksFan28
Oh yea I collect hockey cards... I got back into collecting about a year ago after being absent for about 20 years... I stopped collecting in 1997-98... But yea, about a year ago I was at the store getting a gift for my nephew and wondered into the aisle where they keep the cards and felt an immediate urge to buy some 16-17 upper deck series one hockey, so I bought a few fat packs and pulled a Auston Matthews YG in my second pack after puling a William Nylander in my first - I figured the Matthews was worth maybe 20 bucks and the Nylander was worth perhaps 5??? lol - looked both up on ebay and was shocked to see the Matthews selling for $180-200 and the Nylander for $30.... Lets just say I've been hooked on collecting cards again ever since...So far I have pulled 8 Matthews YG's in about 25 series one blaster boxes.... I have like 6 complete UD series 1&2 sets including the YG's so....... Hey, I'm satisfied - I really feel I have gotten my money out of it...

Unfortunately the hockey card selection at the local stores like Walmart is pretty limited but I try to pick up a few boxes once a week .. Blaster boxes are $18, the tins are $22 and the fat packs are $5 when it comes to upper deck- which is basically all they have as far as boxes... They also carry Parkhust so I have bought a ton of that.... Like with UD I have pulled all the key cards -but unlike UD it's nice to get all the rookies in one set instead of having to wait for a series 2 to pull a Laine like I had to wait for UD...... But yea, I've pulled 20 or so Parkhurst Matthews "Parkhurst Rookies" with 2 Black & 3 Red Parallels ..... TBH, I really think I have better luck with the fat packs than anything else.... With the UD fat packs I got a YG or insert of some sort in every pack - some actually had more than that.. The same with Parhurst - I would get a black in every fat pack er what we used to call "rack pack" back in the day....

So yea, after 20 years I got back into collecting cards again...... As a matter of fact I just received a "lot" I won on ebay yesterday with all the notable rookies from the late 80's and early 90's I grew up collecting and I won it for .99 cents and it was a good 500 cards - mostly of rookies, stars and Hall of Famers from my day..... I mean had this been 20 years ago this lot would retail for $300.00 easily hahaha but yea, that 1992 UD Teemu Selanne RC is only worth the paper it's printed on - but hey they're cool cards to have and they bring back great memories - not only that but a good 20 of the cards came in screw down holders, and another 50 or so came in top loaders so a $1.00 for all the holders is a bargain let alone I got the cards to boot, lol.....Not only that but the lot also contained Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang and Ryan Whitney cards autographed in silver sharpie ..... What a deal I got there..

But yea, as far as collecting I really like the modern stuff but there is just so much to choose from I feel overwhelmed at times.. But the thing I like about the new cards is they have monetary value and I feel when I buy a box I generally get my monies out of it.... I also love collecting vintage cards - I'm a sucker for anything pre-1987 - I mean a lot of those cards from the 70's and 80's are just cool to look at - let alone own cards from some of the greatest players in NHL history.. Too bad most of them are about as worthless as the cards from the early 90's but that's OK I still love them... I grew up collecting vintage so... I mean when I was 11 in 1990 I would be looking at the local card shop digging through all the old hockey cards from the 60's and 70's while my friends were busy buying packs of 1991 Score trying to pull the "Bo Knows" card while being satisfied that they pulled a Canseco and Jesse Orosco, lol......

I also collect baseball cards as well but I try to stick to the vintage stuff with baseball... However I really love the modern Topps throwback sets tho.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 9:47 p.m.
HawksFan28
Yeah, everyone must have though Yakupov was a great card at the time.

LOL, I bet a lot of people lost their ass on Yakapov YG's .... You can get like 10 fat packs of 12-13 UD for like 20 bucks on Amazon or Ebay.

I have a feeling lots are going to lose their butts on 16-17 UD series 2 Jake Guentzel YG's.... How the hell is his card worth more than Brayden Point's YG?

What was Yak's YG wroth when 12-13 came out? $100? lol.... I think they're only like 10 bucks on ebay now.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 9:54 p.m.
HawksFan28
Anyone here have a Gretzky rookie card? Unfortunately i don't but i have a McDavid rookie card, a Crosby rookie card, an Ovechkin rookie card, and a few Lindros rookie cards.

I have a few Gretzky RC's - as a matter of fact I traded a Matthews YG for an ungraded OPC Gretzky RC.... I would assume the Gretzky would grade to a 6.5 if I sent it in to Beckett or PSA.... It's right there on the edge where the card will either be a $300 or a $700 card so I'm kinda scared to send it in for grading lol... I don't want to have to break the slab because I could damage the card, lol.. Heck, I don't even know how to crack a slab.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 10:20 p.m.
HawksFan28
I seriously got a box of about 50 2005-06 rookie cards for only 5 dollars a few years ago ... seriously, 5 dollars.

Edit: I got Crosby, Ovi, and more good rookie cards ... that was one of the best rookie seasons ever, how was it only 5 dollars?

I just won this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Topps-Upper-Deck-Hockey-Card-Collection-Signed-Sidney-Letang-Whitney/152941429304?hash=item239c050238:g:8eIAAOSwb9BapbWx

Not bad, beyond getting like 20 screw down holders and 50-75 "top loaders" I got all the key rookies from most brands from the early 90's; Lidstrom, Selanne, Bure, Modano, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour, Stevens (Scott & Kevin), Lindros, Roenick etc, not to mention a good stack of 150 stars, rookies and HOF'res in those "snap cases" that hold 50 cards or so....... I also got real autographed cards of Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang and Ryan Whitney which is pretty cool - signed rookie cards of Letang and Whitney none the less. The Sidney Crosby auto is on a 2nd year Fleer insert which is kinda cool.

I will say this much tho, I got a good chuckle seeing several Tony Amonte rookie cards arrive at my house in screw down holders, hahaha.. Yea, 20 years ago that was a 5 dollar card in a 1 dollar holder - now it's a 1 cent card in a 1 dollar holder...... It kinda reminded me of how serious people took their cards back in the day and how they believed one day their little collection I just bought for a dollar and 5 bucks in shipping would pay for their college education.. lol
Mar. 26, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
@HawksFan28 did you get any Nate Schmidt cards? I hear he's better than Klingberg unsure
Mar. 28, 2018 at 2:24 p.m.
HawksFan28
@HawksFan28 did you get any Nate Schmidt cards? I hear he's better than Klingberg unsure

Yes I have Nate Schmidt cards, and John Klingberg cards.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Just got a 2017-18 upper deck series two James Neal card. I believe it's my first Golden Knights card.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.
Buchnevesey
Just found this thread. Huge collector here. My favorites would be my Buchnevich collection (7 autos and a bunch of memorabilia) my Guy Lafleur auto/jersey artifacts #/25, and dual Frederick Anderson/John Gibson autos #/25
Apr. 4, 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
Buchnevesey
Quoting: Buchnevesey
Just found this thread. Huge collector here. My favorites would be my Buchnevich collection (7 autos and a bunch of memorabilia) my Guy Lafleur auto/jersey artifacts #/25, and dual Frederick Anderson/John Gibson autos #/25

Also have a Joe Sakic auto draft day marks of Puempel, Buchnevich and DeAngelo
Apr. 4, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Also have a Joe Sakic auto draft day marks of Puempel, Buchnevich and DeAngelo

I have a Jagr rookie card
Apr. 4, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
Buchnevesey
I have a Jagr rookie card

Cool. I haven’t been collecting that long so my collection basically just goes back to 2012-13
Apr. 17, 2018 at 6:05 p.m.
HawksFan28
I picked up a bunch of stuff this weekend on ebay.... Got a case of "junk wax" of mixed boxes from the 90's for $50 bucks shipped. UD, Score, Pro Set Platinum, Topps, Fleer Ultra, OPC - stuff like that is fun to open, maybe I will find something good but I doubt it... It's just fun to rip packs and for $50 bucks you cant go wrong with 20 boxes. Opening it takes be back to when I was a kid opening the same stuff. lol.

I also got a lot of 15-16 Upper Deck with an almost complete base set, 10-15 young guns (inc Panarin & Max Domi canvas), 10-15 canvas cards and 10-15 Shining Stars & Portraits and a couple of jerseys - not bad for $10 bucks, I could get $15 for the Panarin Young Gun alone..

I also bought a crap-ton (100+) of very nice and authentic looking Topps baseball reprint cards - Topps cards of Jackie Robinson, Mantle, Koufax, Aaron, Babe Ruth etc, but mostly Topps from 1951-1969, for .25 cents each I couldn't pass up the opportunity... I also got a handful of 1979 OPC Gretzky reprints in the lot too which is kinda cool.. I have a 1979-80 OPC set in card pages in a binder and the Gretzky slot is blank because I have the card in a screwdown holder so the reprint will fill that slot well in the binder....
Apr. 17, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
HawksFan28

I just pulled Buchnevich's 16-17 UD jumbo card...

I collect a lot of vintage Hall of Famers so, Lafleur is a staple of that. I would love to pull a Lafleur memorabilia card one of these days but my luck with autos and memorabilia isn't all that great... I've been thinking of buying some Upper Deck Black to compensate, lol but at $25-30 a pack it's just too crazy for me.
Apr. 17, 2018 at 8:56 p.m.
I personally prefer to buy the booster packs as they have over sized rookie cards.

I bought one series 1 and one series 2.

I got Necas, Hagg, Bratt, Canvas Patrick, over sized Rosen and over sized Thompson.
Zach liked this.
Apr. 23, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
Go Bruins Go
This is a cool thread. I'm a huge card collector
Jun. 22, 2018 at 11:48 p.m.
I currently PC Huberdeau. My crown jewel of it is either my PSA 10 Young Guns or 14/15 Ultimate Triple stick /10.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I was looking through my hockey card collection and just noticed my Martin Necas Retro Marquee Rookie has no printing on the back.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
HawksFan28
Bought (5) blaster boxes of 16-17 Upper Deck Series One from Daves Card World for $81.00, got the lot this morning and pulled the following:

Auston Matthews Young Guns (I cant believe I pulled another one, especially out of a blaster).
Jesse Puljujarvi Young Guns
Sabastian Aho Young Guns
Matthew Tkachuk Young Guns
Josh Morrissey Young Guns
Nick Schmatlz Young Guns
Trevor Carrick Young Guns
Zach Hyman Young Guns
Austin Czarnik Young Guns (Funny, I pulled this one before I pulled the Matthews, and I almost lost it when I saw the name "Austin" as a slowly revealed the name - I felt teased, but I got the "Auston" I was looking for on box 3 of the break).
Nick Dowd Young Guns
Michael Matheson Young Guns Canvas

I also pulled these:

Portraits of; Karlsson, Johansen, Rinne, Burns & Pieterangelo

Canvas cards of; Eichel, Pieterangelo, Zajac, Ryan & Lunongo

Shining Stars of; Roman Josi (blue & regular), Doughty, Burns, Ghostbehere & Seabrook (which I have like 10 of already of both blue & regular)..

The only base card I took was Connor McDavid and I pulled 3 of those out of 5 blaster boxes..

Not bad for $81.00 eh? I'm totally satisfied - The Matthews Young Gun goes for $175-$200 all day - but even without that hit I would have gotten my monies out of it.

Next Up for me is a half case of 2015-2016 Upper Deck Series one.... Obviously I'm looking for the McDavid Young Guns..

I also have on the way boxes of 1989-90 OPC, 1991-92 Stadium Club, 1991-92 Upper Deck, 2014-15 Fleer Ultra and a large "flat rate shipping box" stuffed with packs from the 90's (mostly with 89-90 OPC) so I will be looking for Sakic & Leech RC's which I should get considering I have nearly 4 boxes on the way....

If anyone trades cards, I'm open for trades.
Sep. 25, 2018 at 7:25 p.m.
Buchnevesey
Quoting: HawksFan28
Bought (5) blaster boxes of 16-17 Upper Deck Series One from Daves Card World for $81.00, got the lot this morning and pulled the following:

Auston Matthews Young Guns (I cant believe I pulled another one, especially out of a blaster).
Jesse Puljujarvi Young Guns
Sabastian Aho Young Guns
Matthew Tkachuk Young Guns
Josh Morrissey Young Guns
Nick Schmatlz Young Guns
Trevor Carrick Young Guns
Zach Hyman Young Guns
Austin Czarnik Young Guns (Funny, I pulled this one before I pulled the Matthews, and I almost lost it when I saw the name "Austin" as a slowly revealed the name - I felt teased, but I got the "Auston" I was looking for on box 3 of the break).
Nick Dowd Young Guns
Michael Matheson Young Guns Canvas

I also pulled these:

Portraits of; Karlsson, Johansen, Rinne, Burns & Pieterangelo

Canvas cards of; Eichel, Pieterangelo, Zajac, Ryan & Lunongo

Shining Stars of; Roman Josi (blue & regular), Doughty, Burns, Ghostbehere & Seabrook (which I have like 10 of already of both blue & regular)..

The only base card I took was Connor McDavid and I pulled 3 of those out of 5 blaster boxes..

Not bad for $81.00 eh? I'm totally satisfied - The Matthews Young Gun goes for $175-$200 all day - but even without that hit I would have gotten my monies out of it.

Next Up for me is a half case of 2015-2016 Upper Deck Series one.... Obviously I'm looking for the McDavid Young Guns..

I also have on the way boxes of 1989-90 OPC, 1991-92 Stadium Club, 1991-92 Upper Deck, 2014-15 Fleer Ultra and a large "flat rate shipping box" stuffed with packs from the 90's (mostly with 89-90 OPC) so I will be looking for Sakic & Leech RC's which I should get considering I have nearly 4 boxes on the way....

If anyone trades cards, I'm open for trades.

Wow you did pretty awesome. D&A is the best. Being from down south hockey cards are really hard to find around here, so when I walked into the store in Buffalo it was like heaven. Site is the best place to buy boxes as well, usually have good deals and it comes fast.

Gonna have to go back and get some previous years UD. Never ended up pulling Matthews, McDavid or Eichel
Jan. 7, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Tyler Paluzzi
Just found this thread, I'm a pretty big collector, probably have a couple hundred hockey cards. Don't really know if any have value would have to check, but where do you guys usually get cards? Ebay? Hobby Stores? Others? And what packs do you get? Starting to get back into collecting and would appreciate this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll