Forums/Armchair-GM

Renovations

Created by: KMarner10
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2022
Published: Jul. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Although defense and goaltending are the first thing people think of when talking about the Leafs' flaws, the lack of depth scoring is what lost them the first round again. The Leafs were had some of the worst goaltending stats in the entire league, but a franchise record in points was set. Especially with the goalie market being very thin, I think we should target two cheap guys and run a tandem.

Fleury was my ideal pick, but since he resigned with MIN, I think the Leafs should target Comrie and Lankinen. Comrie had pretty good stats last year in 20-ish games, and though I think he will show slight signs of regression, he will be a very solid option for 40-ish games. Meanwhile, Lankinen has played in more than 30 games in each of his 2 years in the NHL, and has put up respectable numbers. His main flaw is he allows some softies from the slot, as he did play below expected last year. However, I think this tandem can get it done until at least the TDL.

On the defensive side of things, Muzzin needs to go. It sucks, and I love the guy, but he is making too much for what he can bring to the table with this team, especially with their needs. Whether is is via trade or waivers, he should not be on the roster come opening night. This gives Sandin a spot in the top 4, and for this contract, I referenced that of Adam Boqvist (3x$2.6), which was signed a few days ago. He needs someone to play with, and although most Leafs fans love Boosh, I doubt he resigns. Colin Miller is a very underrated option, and he had a good year with Buffalo. He also has the connection with the Soo, so Dubas might like him in particular.

Obviously, Bunting-Matthews-Marner stays the same, as they were one of the best lines last year. However, the middle six is interesting.

Keefe was starting playoff games with Nylander on the third line, but he kept putting him back with JT midway through. I think that they should each get their own line to start out the year, and then go from there. I think Robertson-JT-Jesse will be a very solid line, as Robertson is very tenacious and Puljujärvi has good size. This can lead to more goals scored out front, especially from JT. Hopefully with the new team and contract, Puljujärvi can be a more consistant finisher.

Foegele-Strome-Nylander is sort of a line 2B, as it still has a lot of talent. Nylander won't have to be relied on to go into the corners, and they are decent defensively. With Strome recently breaking out, he is getting a pretty lucrative contract, and Foegele is coming with retention, so he will be a cheap depth scoring option. EDM is trading him because there are cheaper options for what they need, and I think the deal is a win-win.

Kase leaving sucks, but I think he would be perfect for Edmonton in a top 9 role. Holl can also replace Barrie on the bottom pair, so they will be getting cheaper and better defensively.

The 4th line is a checking/shutdown line, plus it is perfect to put out right after a powerplay. Bjugstad is a very underrated option, and could be a good breakout candidate.

Fill out the scratches with a cheap mix of rookies and veterans, and the team is very solid.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
4$2,750,000
4$4,000,000
6$4,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
3$2,000,000
2$900,000
2$2,500,000
2$762,500
Trades
TOR
  1. Strome, Dylan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Not qualified
CHI
TOR
  1. 2023 4th round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
2022 No.71 (originally Chicago's)
CAR
  1. Duszak, Joseph [RFA Rights]
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Kerfoot is a dynamic player that would fit in well with their system and could lighten the blow of losing Trocheck. Duszak was a top AHL defenseman this past year, and he could maybe get some minutes on the bottom pair with Cole.
TOR
    I honestly don't even know what we would get for him. There's even the chance that he doesn't waive his NTC, but I have seen he has the potential of being waived, like McDonaugh might have been. He would be a good fit on many teams, like Columbus or Detroit as well.
    LAK
    1. Muzzin, Jake
    Additional Details:
    Obviously he is a good player, but he is too expensive for what the Leafs' roster is shaping out to be. Not to mention him still being here is prolonging the Sandin negotiations.
    TOR
    1. Foegele, Warren ($750,000 retained)
    2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    Freeing up cap and filling multiple holes, Leafs can probably still add more. Retention done by 3rd party team.
    EDM
    1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
    2. Holl, Justin
    3. Kase, Ondrej [RFA Rights]
    4. 2023 5th round pick (TOR)
    Additional Details:
    2022 No.79 (Originally Winnipeg's)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$82,102,283$212,500$0$397,717

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $950,000$950,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 2
    Taxi Squad
    $900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 8:12 a.m.
    Kings are not taking Muzzin, they don't have the cap room for him nor do they want to carry his large contract and injury history issues
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 9:14 a.m.
    Quoting: kingsfaninSD
    Kings are not taking Muzzin, they don't have the cap room for him nor do they want to carry his large contract and injury history issues

Hence why they are an option. It could be the Kraken, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, or many other teams.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Fortunately, the Kevin Fiala signing has now made all Jake-Muzzin-to-Los-Angeles trades impossible. Pretty soon they should die out, as even Toronto fans will eventually get the numerical message.

Current roster:
    10 forwards = $37.8 million
    4 defenders = $17.5 million (Doughty, Roy, Walker, Spence)
    2 goalies = $10.8 million
    dead cap = $2 million
    Subtotal = $68.1 million
    Kempe = $5.25 million or more
    Grundstrom = $1 million or more
    Vilardi = $1 million or less
    Turcotte, or other promotion from Ontario = < $1 million
    Anderson = $2.5 million or more
    Durzi = $1.5 million
    Total = $80.35 million or more
    Amount remaining for one LD = less than $2.15 million
    Muzzin doesn't fit, even at 50% retention
    kingsfaninSD liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 10:01 a.m.
    I like the explanations and your right about the depth scoring, I think the contracts are inaccurate tho, I would expect Strome to be more likely to get a 1 year deal for cheaper, and pulujarvi likely on a shorter term deal as well. Both would be useful adds.

Disagree that Miller would be the type of guy the leafs would look to if they trade Muzzin they'd probably want someone who could replace a bit of his shutdown or physical capabilities.

The goaltending is really the one that I disagree with. Platoon is too risky, especially after seeing what happened last season. They need to get a starter who can play 50 games. If you bridge Sandin for two years, and give shorter term contracts for pulujarvi and Strome, you could afford a actual #1
    KMarner10 liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Fortunately, the Kevin Fiala signing has now made all Jake-Muzzin-to-Los-Angeles trades impossible. Pretty soon they should die out, as even Toronto fans will eventually get the numerical message.

Current roster:
    10 forwards = $37.8 million
    4 defenders = $17.5 million (Doughty, Roy, Walker, Spence)
    2 goalies = $10.8 million
    dead cap = $2 million
    Subtotal = $68.1 million
    Kempe = $5.25 million or more
    Grundstrom = $1 million or more
    Vilardi = $1 million or less
    Turcotte, or other promotion from Ontario = < $1 million
    Anderson = $2.5 million or more
    Durzi = $1.5 million
    Total = $80.35 million or more
    Amount remaining for one LD = less than $2.15 million
    Muzzin doesn't fit, even at 50% retention

Yet again, they were just one team out of many. There are multiple that would pick him up on waivers at the very least, I only put it as LA because it is the most common team on this website.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
    Quoting: HeroStuff
    I like the explanations and your right about the depth scoring, I think the contracts are inaccurate tho, I would expect Strome to be more likely to get a 1 year deal for cheaper, and pulujarvi likely on a shorter term deal as well. Both would be useful adds.

Disagree that Miller would be the type of guy the leafs would look to if they trade Muzzin they'd probably want someone who could replace a bit of his shutdown or physical capabilities.

The goaltending is really the one that I disagree with. Platoon is too risky, especially after seeing what happened last season. They need to get a starter who can play 50 games. If you bridge Sandin for two years, and give shorter term contracts for pulujarvi and Strome, you could afford a actual #1

My only thing is Lankinen and Comrie have shown glimpses of being a #1 goalie. They're relatively young (Lank 27, Comrie 26) and at least to start the season, they could be good options. If there is an obvious need after a few months, then a trade can be made.

Also, I think that signing Strome and Puljujärvi to multiple years can prove beneficial for both of them, as I can't see them making much more in the future. This also gives the Leafs security going forward, not having to worry about resigning them along with the core 4.
    HeroStuff liked this.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
    Quoting: KMarner10
    My only thing is Lankinen and Comrie have shown glimpses of being a #1 goalie. They're relatively young (Lank 27, Comrie 26) and at least to start the season, they could be good options. If there is an obvious need after a few months, then a trade can be made.

Also, I think that signing Strome and Puljujärvi to multiple years can prove beneficial for both of them, as I can't see them making much more in the future. This also gives the Leafs security going forward, not having to worry about resigning them along with the core 4.

I see the reasoning for the former I just don't think the risk isn't worth it, so much pressure on Toronto Starters job that I would want to go with the best option possible, especially cause it might cost the GM their job lol.

As for the later I agree somewhat could be a opportunity for security for them and good value for the leafs, but the need for a starter is more pressing then term for them.
    Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
    Quoting: HeroStuff
    I see the reasoning for the former I just don't think the risk isn't worth it, so much pressure on Toronto Starters job that I would want to go with the best option possible, especially cause it might cost the GM their job lol. If anything Lankinen can be a backup

As for the later I agree somewhat could be a opportunity for security for them and good value for the leafs, but the need for a starter is more pressing then term for them.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll