Forums/Armchair-GM

Changes

Created by: Rylee92
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2022
Published: Jul. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Considering that Husso's signing rights were traded and he was later resigned, and Fluery was resigned even after all the rumors of him coming to Toronto. Also with rumors of Campbell going to the Oilers and wanting more money, Gibson was a better option than the others, and cheaper. We have Knies in the system, and Robertson might not be the greatest fit, as we seen with him playing for the Leafs the last couple years
Muzzin is cap dump so is Bailey, Leafs could use Bailey as a middle 6 scorer, and Muzzin is a solid top 4 D man.

Signing Nichuskin is a great option for the Leafs to sign, because he's not too expensive, and I think would mesh well with Matthews and Marner, but if not Tavares and Nylander, but we've seen Bunting do well on both lines
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$894,197
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$850,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Gibson, John ($1,400,000 retained)
ANA
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. Robertson, Nicholas
  3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Geekie, Morgan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 6th round pick (WSH)
SEA
  1. Kase, Ondrej [RFA Rights]
TOR
  1. Fix-Wolansky, Trey [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$82,168,116$212,500$0$331,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
I really really really hope kerfoot is moved today so the saga of sending him to the jackets can end. We don’t need kerfoot. We have enough middle 6 players.
Ajp_18, dk325, benjgc and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
NYI
No. We don't need Muzzin, especially after trading for Romanov.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Josh Bailey’s contract is better than Muzzin and I’m not convinced he’s washed either. Let’s see what he looks like with a real defensive core behind him.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
we miss leo k
Isles have even less interest in Muzzin than they did yesterday, now that they have Romanov for LD2. Don't even bother asking him about waiving his NTC for that deal, easy pass.
OldNYIfan and Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Quoting: The_Cannon
I really really really hope kerfoot is moved today so the saga of sending him to the jackets can end. We don’t need kerfoot. We have enough middle 6 players.

He probably doesn't get moved until free agency opens if he does get moved. Perhaps he's traded for his replacement, maybe one of your middle 6 players? wink

Why are other teams fan bases against Kerfoot? I get why Leafs fans want him gone-so they can acquire someone more impactful like a top 6 player or more physical for those who are fixated on grit.
Rylee92 liked this.
Your neighbors, Montreal, took care of the Islanders LHD problem without getting stuck with Muzzin. Back to LAK trades.

Nichushkin close to re-signing with Colorado. Burakovsky should be available.
OldNYIfan and Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
He probably doesn't get moved until free agency opens if he does get moved. Perhaps he's traded for his replacement, maybe one of your middle 6 players? wink

Why are other teams fan bases against Kerfoot? I get why Leafs fans want him gone-so they can acquire someone more impactful like a top 6 player or more physical for those who are fixated on grit.

Most teams don’t like him cuz they believe his numbers are inflated due to playing with talent on the leafs roster, or the fact he plays for Toronto and it’s fun to dump on Toronto players.
The reason I really don’t want him as we have so many forwards who need ice time and he doesn’t make our top line, so he would just be in the way of our growing young guys. I don’t mind him and if we didn’t have roslovic I would happily trade for him. However we have our bottom 9 centers pretty well set.
GMBL, Ajp_18, dk325 and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Owly
Bailey was a bad contract the moment he signed it. Muzzin is not going to get traded. He's still a top 4 defenceman
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
Owly

It's the same reason for all of them. They hate the Leafs. Kerfoot is a 50, swiss army knife, with speed and can kill penalties, but he's a leaf so he's a cap dump. For crying out loud, 75% of people on this site think Marner has negative value because he makes over 10.
GMBL liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Quoting: The_Cannon
Most teams don’t like him cuz they believe his numbers are inflated due to playing with talent on the leafs roster, or the fact he plays for Toronto and it’s fun to dump on Toronto players.
The reason I really don’t want him as we have so many forwards who need ice time and he doesn’t make our top line, so he would just be in the way of our growing young guys. I don’t mind him and if we didn’t have roslovic I would happily trade for him. However we have our bottom 9 centers pretty well set.

He's had 40 pts in the two years with Colorado but perhaps that isn't any better but yeah the fact that he is a Leafs player is a factor too for sure
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
rly think blackwood would be a great option
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
It's the same reason for all of them. They hate the Leafs. Kerfoot is a 50, swiss army knife, with speed and can kill penalties, but he's a leaf so he's a cap dump. For crying out loud, 75% of people on this site think Marner has negative value because he makes over 10.

It's ironic that the site is called capfriendly because you might have a guy on a pretty cheap contract or older player (with retention). If you have an ACGM with them traded to a rebuilder (or ex-rebuilder) in a hockey trade or fair cap dump, they come out with their pitchforks and treat the player as a negative asset.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Nightowl26
We never had any interest in Muzzin....nor will ever.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Gibson at 4.5-5m would be great but I can only imagine what that would cost in terms of acquiring him on top of the regular ask.

The back up is most likely going to be Kallgren or Woll unless an opportunity for another cheap goaltender option presents itself but even then I think Dubas would give them a chance. He's going to rely heavily on ELCs to fill the bottom 6 (I think line 4 in particular) which probably will give them room to get a top 6 and a good line 3 player if they get a guy ~3.5m for starter (Murray after retention who's interested in going to EDM or TOR, Talbot, Blackwood if he becomes available).
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
we miss leo k

Personally, I think Kerfoot is going to struggle to maintain his 50 point pace when he gets taken off Tavares' wing - it wouldn't be the first time someone saw their numbers spike playing with JT (hello, Matt Moulson & PA Parentau, how are you?) Not to say he's a bad player, just that he's a middle-6 guy and those guys aren't necessarily guys you get super excited about.

I do think a lot of the pushback comes from ACGMs where he gets traded to a rebuilding team like Columbus or Seattle - the types of situations where it doesn't make sense to give up an asset for a pending UFA. Like with this ACGM here - the Jackets are still rebuilding so why would they give up a 23 year old guy like Trey Fix-Wolansky and a 2nd round pick to acquire a 28 year old pending UFA in Kerfoot and a 30 year old pending UFA RHD in Justin Holl? If anyone would be giving up assets for those guys, it would be teams on the edge of contention that think these guys are an upgrade over what they currently have in their middle 6/bottom pair.
dk325, OldNYIfan and dopplsan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming

Get over yourself. There are a plethora of middle 6 forwards that people keep proposing to Columbus and they're all a no. They have 20 forwards right now that either have NHL experience or project to be in the lineup this year. Trading picks for at best a marginal 3rd line upgrade and a bottom pair RD would be a silly move for Columbus. Think about what the other teams need before you start accusing people of being Leafs haters.
OldNYIfan, BoomerTheHero and Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Personally, I think Kerfoot is going to struggle to maintain his 50 point pace when he gets taken off Tavares' wing - it wouldn't be the first time someone saw their numbers spike playing with JT (hello, Matt Moulson & PA Parentau, how are you?) Not to say he's a bad player, just that he's a middle-6 guy and those guys aren't necessarily guys you get super excited about.

I do think a lot of the pushback comes from ACGMs where he gets traded to a rebuilding team like Columbus or Seattle - the types of situations where it doesn't make sense to give up an asset for a pending UFA. Like with this ACGM here - the Jackets are still rebuilding so why would they give up a 23 year old guy like Trey Fix-Wolansky and a 2nd round pick to acquire a 28 year old pending UFA in Kerfoot and a 30 year old pending UFA RHD in Justin Holl? If anyone would be giving up assets for those guys, it would be teams on the edge of contention that think these guys are an upgrade over what they currently have in their middle 6/bottom pair.

I do expect his production to drop a bit but stay at 40 if he were to be traded to a team who has no one, but to be fair he did play on line 3 as well last year.

I would have to disagree with the notion that a "rebuilder" shouldn't get him because if they are trading for him they are probably planning to retain him. So of course, it depends on if there is a fit and if the cost is appropriate. Something like a 2nd for a team like Seattle is not crazy when they had a ton this year, and have 3 next year. It doesn't really make any sense. As for Holl, I do agree that it would be a team that has been in the playoffs recently with a need for a RD would be willing to add him.

Seattle isn't really a rebuilder anyways and they are trying to improve and compete (they would have to move someone to get Kerfoot), same with other former rebuilders like Detroit and Ottawa and teams like CBJ who aren't really rebuilders at all (they traded Jones so that they don't lose him for nothing) but playoff hopefuls. Not saying any of these teams should be or are interested in Kerfoot, but I see a lot from Detroit and Seattle fans suggesting that they think their GMs will be building through the draft for the next 3 years at the least.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
we miss leo k
I do expect his production to drop a bit but stay at 40 if he were to be traded to a team who has no one, but to be fair he did play on line 3 as well last year.

I would have to disagree with the notion that a "rebuilder" shouldn't get him because if they are trading for him they are probably planning to retain him. So of course, it depends on if there is a fit and if the cost is appropriate. Something like a 2nd for a team like Seattle is not crazy when they had a ton this year, and have 3 next year. It doesn't really make any sense

Seattle isn't really a rebuilder anyways and they are trying to improve and compete, same with other former rebuilders like Detroit and Ottawa and teams like CBJ who aren't really rebuilders at all (they traded Jones so that they don't lose him for nothing) but playoff hopefuls. Not saying any of these teams should be or are interested in Kerfoot, but I see a lot from Detroit and Seattle fans suggesting that they think their GMs will be building through the draft for the next 3 years at the least.

I agree with what you're saying in that if a team wants him long-term, trading for him and then extending him is not a bad idea; I personally would hesitate at extending a 29 year old with one 50+ point season though. I still think that Toronto gets a better return from a contending team that needs to upgrade their middle-6 than from a non-playoff team looking for a long term piece.

Another thing I think that people don't realize now is that, as of a week ago, Kerfoot has a 10-team NTC. Not sure who he'd have on it but I wouldn't be shocked if the Seattles, Arizonas, and Columbuses (Columbii?) of the world were there.
HeroStuff liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Islanders Fan
Muzzin idea (which really never made sense) is totally dead in the water with the Romanov trade
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I agree with what you're saying in that if a team wants him long-term, trading for him and then extending him is not a bad idea; I personally would hesitate at extending a 29 year old with one 50+ point season though. I still think that Toronto gets a better return from a contending team that needs to upgrade their middle-6 than from a non-playoff team looking for a long term piece.

Another thing I think that people don't realize now is that, as of a week ago, Kerfoot has a 10-team NTC. Not sure who he'd have on it but I wouldn't be shocked if the Seattles, Arizonas, and Columbuses (Columbii?) of the world were there.

Seattle is close to home so perhaps he would be going there. I know seattle did terrible but their goaltending tandem were hot commodities the season prior. I don't think they expected to do that bad, but yeah who knows where any of these guys will be willing to go. As much as some Leafs fans want him gone though, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as an own rental depending on what the FAs on their radar are asking. With the cap crunch they need high value contracts more than ever.

A lot of fans don't look at the long-term outlook of a team too, Bunting is probably going to get at least a 3m raise, so he's likely to replace Kerfoot's contract the next season, but they go trade him to get FAs which usually ends up with trading Muzzin as well to accommodate for more moves or Nylander.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
Owly
It's ironic that the site is called capfriendly because you might have a guy on a pretty cheap contract or older player (with retention). If you have an ACGM with them traded to a rebuilder (or ex-rebuilder) in a hockey trade or fair cap dump, they come out with their pitchforks and treat the player as a negative asset.

Especially if you are a leaf fan. According to 90% of the people on here. Any RD is worth a 1st and top prospect to the Leafs, and at the same time, Holl is a worthless cap dump. Crouse, a glorified 3rd liner, is worth a 1st and top prospect but Kerfoot is a cap dump the Leafs won't be able to move. It's nonsense
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: dk325
Get over yourself. There are a plethora of middle 6 forwards that people keep proposing to Columbus and they're all a no. They have 20 forwards right now that either have NHL experience or project to be in the lineup this year. Trading picks for at best a marginal 3rd line upgrade and a bottom pair RD would be a silly move for Columbus. Think about what the other teams need before you start accusing people of being Leafs haters.

So what your saying is Kerfoot sucks and despite outscoring all but 4 of your players, without any PP time. So as I was saying, people on here hate anything to do with the Leafs without any real cause or logic. I am not defending this trade but it's funny how every team has 305, million, billion better forwards than Kerfoot and only 3 teams in the entire league had a better record than TO. It's weird how guys can be successful, useful and valuable to a top team but are somehow "borderline 3rd liners" on much worse teams.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Especially if you are a leaf fan. According to 90% of the people on here. Any RD is worth a 1st and top prospect to the Leafs, and at the same time, Holl is a worthless cap dump. Crouse, a glorified 3rd liner, is worth a 1st and top prospect but Kerfoot is a cap dump the Leafs won't be able to move. It's nonsense

Yeah, the Crouse obsession baffles me. Especially, when a Leafs fan is trading 4+ pieces (one being Nylander) for Chychrun and Crouse.
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming

Can't speak for other teams, but Jarmo has 0 history of taking on cap dumps. I don't think most fans consider the CBJ end of these trades at all when they're proposed. Often the responses as to why they're not logical moves are just ignored and the same trades get proposed over and over by the same people too. I get you guys want to have fun, but maybe somewhere in the hundreds of Kerfoot, Holl, Muzzin or Mrazek to CBJ proposals you guys could catch on that these players don't make sense for Columbus to acquire?
OldNYIfan, benjgc, BoomerTheHero and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
So what your saying is Kerfoot sucks and despite outscoring all but 4 of your players, without any PP time. So as I was saying, people on here hate anything to do with the Leafs without any real cause or logic. I am not defending this trade but it's funny how every team has 305, million, billion better forwards than Kerfoot and only 3 teams in the entire league had a better record than TO. It's weird how guys can be successful, useful and valuable to a top team but are somehow "borderline 3rd liners" on much worse teams.

Laine-Voracek
Nyquist-Bjorkstrand
Johnson-Marchenko
Texier-Chinakhov
Bemstrom

What 4 wingers does he push out of the lineup to make it into the top 9? They've also got Robinson, Danforth, Foudy and Olivier trying to get 4th line roles.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll