NMC
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $8,500,000$8,500,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      LW
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 5
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      LW
      RFA - 3
      $2,300,000$2,300,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $875,000$875,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $1,525,000$1,525,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $3,641,667$3,641,667
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $9,500,000$9,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 7
      $5,666,667$5,666,667
      G
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $925,000$925,000
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $850,000$850,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RD
      RFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
      C
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      C
      UFA - 1
      $883,750$883,750 ($0$0$0$0)
      RW
      RFA - 1
      $797,500$797,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
      LD
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 10:45 a.m.
      Mods have power egos
      No way it cost a 1st to dump nemeth and would prefer to not give copp more than 5.5
      XBestOneYetX liked this.
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
      Quoting: NYRxLundqvist
      No way it cost a 1st to dump nemeth and would prefer to not give copp more than 5.5

I had Copp at $5.5 too. But as time goes on, it may take $6M. I wanted to demonstrate that at $6M, there still $1M free cap space available. Re: Nemeth: again not in dispute. I posted a worst case scenario. since the NYR have to move Nemeth's cap hit in full to make this work.
      NYRxLundqvist liked this.
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
      Brooks hates Shatty
      Quoting: gdli
      I had Copp at $5.5 too. But as time goes on, it may take $6M. I wanted to demonstrate that at $6M, there still $1M free cap space available. Re: Nemeth: again not in dispute. I posted a worst case scenario. since the NYR have to move Nemeth's cap hit in full to make this work.

Drury would have moved Nemeth if he could have at the draft. I think he is waiting to see if there is a team having trouble getting to the cap floor where he can dump Nemeth for a 2nd or maybe 2 picks if needed. Buying him out would be a dumb move, better off stashing him in the AHL this year and try to deal him again next season. I don't see the Rangers giving Copp over 5.5, though it is possible, makes signing Laf, Miller and depth players very difficult next season. 5.5 million for 5 years, first 3 years NMC, turns into an 8 team no trade in year 4. Best offer I think Copp will get from Drury as he is thinking big picture.
      NYRxLundqvist and gdli liked this.
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
      Quoting: XBestOneYetX
      Drury would have moved Nemeth if he could have at the draft. I think he is waiting to see if there is a team having trouble getting to the cap floor where he can dump Nemeth for a 2nd or maybe 2 picks if needed. Buying him out would be a dumb move, better off stashing him in the AHL this year and try to deal him again next season. I don't see the Rangers giving Copp over 5.5, though it is possible, makes signing Laf, Miller and depth players very difficult next season. 5.5 million for 5 years, first 3 years NMC, turns into an 8 team no trade in year 4. Best offer I think Copp will get from Drury as he is thinking big picture.

Re Nemeth: I completely concur with you. Arizona is the likely target. Re: Copp's price will be set based on the offers he receives when he dips is toe into the UFA frenzy. $6M or thereabouts is the max, and as you and I agree, $5.5M would be better. Term will be at least 5, maybe 6 years. Re-Signing Laffy, Miller and Chytil will be tight, but with $3.4M in Dead Cap coming off the books and another $1M increase in the salary cap, they should be able to make it happen. I think we see pretty much the same way!
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
      Jimbo1119
      Re Nemeth: I completely concur with you. Arizona is the likely target. Re: Copp's price will be set based on the offers he receives when he dips is toe into the UFA frenzy. $6M or thereabouts is the max, and as you and I agree, $5.5M would be better. Term will be at least 5, maybe 6 years. Re-Signing Laffy, Miller and Chytil will be tight, but with $3.4M in Dead Cap coming off the books and another $1M increase in the salary cap, they should be able to make it happen. I think we see pretty much the same way!

With our back n forth a few days back...you and I definitely on the same page w/ Copp...just wonder where you stand regarding the plan next year- when it really does tighten up...yet Chytl, LaF, and Miller need new contracts.

On another note... one thing gonna be real interesting to see is whether any of theses UFAs have to come down from their demands. I mean- just about every team which is decent to real good has significant Cap concerns. I do think Copp will still manage quite well- but not many teams have the ability to sign a guy 5.5 X 6....without turning their back on someone requiring a new deal. What I'm getting at is there might be some real value left out there. I may be totally wrong here....really don't have a clue! But gonna be real interesting to see how the next few days go. But the true winner might just be the GM who picks up the scraps after the "bigger" signings.
      Jul. 10, 2022 at 11:57 p.m.
      Quoting: Jimbo1119
      With our back n forth a few days back...you and I definitely on the same page w/ Copp...just wonder where you stand regarding the plan next year- when it really does tighten up...yet Chytl, LaF, and Miller need new contracts.

On another note... one thing gonna be real interesting to see is whether any of theses UFAs have to come down from their demands. I mean- just about every team which is decent to real good has significant Cap concerns. I do think Copp will still manage quite well- but not many teams have the ability to sign a guy 5.5 X 6....without turning their back on someone requiring a new deal. What I'm getting at is there might be some real value left out there. I may be totally wrong here....really don't have a clue! But gonna be real interesting to see how the next few days go. But the true winner might just be the GM who picks up the scraps after the "bigger" signings.

Hey Jimbo, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm in the process of installing a new computer. I've been transferring data for quite a while today. I think the DEAD CAP of $3.4M plus another $1M increase in the TEAM CAP should cover say Laffy to $3.5M Miller to $3M and Filip up to $3.5 (perhaps higher if he breaks out). These number make sense, and some of the veterans might be replace by more youngster. This also is predicated on getting Andrew. If Andrew moves on, then a number of names will be floated to trade for a #2C incl. Chytil, Kakko, Jones, Lundqvist, Kravtsov, (and my untouchables, Miller and Schneider). I'm sure that you, like I, are holding your breath. I'm chomping at the bit for "the games to begin." Chris parted the Red Sea to get three picks for Georgy, can't wait to see how he works out the rest the puzzle. Once thing is for sure, fiscal discipline has to be the order of the day. I tinkered with two deals that would bring Patrick and Sam Bennett to the NYR, and all those "touchable" names above would be gone. Patrick could be renewed in the out years. Chicago would be amenable, I'm less certain Florida would part with Sam. It was meant to demonstrate what the team would look like in order to fill the #2 and #3 center slots on the roster. Since I didn't have confidence in the Florida portion of the proposal, I chose not to post it. Buckle the Belts, full speed ahead.
      Jimbo1119 liked this.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 7:36 a.m.
      Jimbo1119
      Hey Jimbo, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm in the process of installing a new computer. I've been transferring data for quite a while today. I think the DEAD CAP of $3.4M plus another $1M increase in the TEAM CAP should cover say Laffy to $3.5M Miller to $3M and Filip up to $3.5 (perhaps higher if he breaks out). These number make sense, and some of the veterans might be replace by more youngster. This also is predicated on getting Andrew. If Andrew moves on, then a number of names will be floated to trade for a #2C incl. Chytil, Kakko, Jones, Lundqvist, Kravtsov, (and my untouchables, Miller and Schneider). I'm sure that you, like I, are holding your breath. I'm chomping at the bit for "the games to begin." Chris parted the Red Sea to get three picks for Georgy, can't wait to see how he works out the rest the puzzle. Once thing is for sure, fiscal discipline has to be the order of the day. I tinkered with two deals that would bring Patrick and Sam Bennett to the NYR, and all those "touchable" names above would be gone. Patrick could be renewed in the out years. Chicago would be amenable, I'm less certain Florida would part with Sam. It was meant to demonstrate what the team would look like in order to fill the #2 and #3 center slots on the roster. Since I didn't have confidence in the Florida portion of the proposal, I chose not to post it. Buckle the Belts, full speed ahead.

Those #'s seem to work for Chytl, Miller, and LaF for next summer....but for some reason I'm thinking that if NYR manage to keep Copp, someone will be moved. And that decision would be made after we'd see once and for all how the pieces fit together and the progress of the prospects in terms of who may be pushing the lineup- and who within the lineup is pushing for top 6 or top 4 minutes. Along with that thought, at some point NYR have to extend one (or a few) of these guys on 5 or 6 year deals- not a bridge deal. Imagine where COL would be if MacK signed a bridge off his ELC?

Without sharpening the pencil and putting too much time into a scenario or two to illustrate what I'm talking about, aside from being lazy (lol)- I think it's best to sit back and watch what unfolds the next few days. A lot of change is going to unfold like rapid fire- starting today- when we see who isn't qualified. Going back to my point above, though- it's gonna be real interesting to see who's left after the initial wave of free agency...and how those players either "hold their line" or change their demands a bit to land themselves on a team of their liking. 2 things seem to be certain: 1) Just about every team that's decent to real good has either immediate cap concerns- or will have Cap concerns going forward IF they make a UFA splash. 2) Seems there are a few teams more intent on "going for it" in the Bedard lottery than making improvements to try to compete for the Cup....as you say- buckle up!
      gdli liked this.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.
      Those #'s seem to work for Chytl, Miller, and LaF for next summer....but for some reason I'm thinking that if NYR manage to keep Copp, someone will be moved. And that decision would be made after we'd see once and for all how the pieces fit together and the progress of the prospects in terms of who may be pushing the lineup- and who within the lineup is pushing for top 6 or top 4 minutes. Along with that thought, at some point NYR have to extend one (or a few) of these guys on 5 or 6 year deals- not a bridge deal. Imagine where COL would be if MacK signed a bridge off his ELC?

Without sharpening the pencil and putting too much time into a scenario or two to illustrate what I'm talking about, aside from being lazy (lol)- I think it's best to sit back and watch what unfolds the next few days. A lot of change is going to unfold like rapid fire- starting today- when we see who isn't qualified. Going back to my point above, though- it's gonna be real interesting to see who's left after the initial wave of free agency...and how those players either "hold their line" or change their demands a bit to land themselves on a team of their liking. 2 things seem to be certain: 1) Just about every team that's decent to real good has either immediate cap concerns- or will have Cap concerns going forward IF they make a UFA splash. 2) Seems there are a few teams more intent on "going for it" in the Bedard lottery than making improvements to try to compete for the Cup....as you say- buckle up!

I would not apply pencil to paper yet either. Too many unknowns. Again I see it like you. With Copp on board, a number a NYR will be scrutinized by the front office. Filip is the most interesting, With Brennan Othmann likely to fill the #3LW slot a year from now (or perhaps sooner, he will be getting a long look at training camp -- slide issue notwithstanding), can Filip improve his production and be stronger at the dot?? Kakko, is a contender or pretender? And then there are the youngsters. Who impresses and who does not? So many questions, so little time. It seems to me the Ranger roster will be a moveable feast of "what next?"; now and for the next several years.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 8:47 a.m.
      Jimbo1119
      I would not apply pencil to paper yet either. Too many unknowns. Again I see it like you. With Copp on board, a number a NYR will be scrutinized by the front office. Filip is the most interesting, With Brennan Othmann likely to fill the #3LW slot a year from now (or perhaps sooner, he will be getting a long look at training camp -- slide issue notwithstanding), can Filip improve his production and be stronger at the dot?? Kakko, is a contender or pretender? And then there are the youngsters. Who impresses and who does not? So many questions, so little time. It seems to me the Ranger roster will be a moveable feast of "what next?"; now and for the next several years.

Welcome to the CAP era NHL!
      If a team wants to contend and keep the contention window open, the GM really needs to be shrewd to pick the right players to be part of his core...and outside of that core there is considerable movement year to year to replace guys looking for big money with either young, cost controlled players OR reclamation projects. Outside the core, the GM can't get "married" to any players- instead they need to be moved before they're needing a new contract and/or in decline...to bring back futures -which hopefully can compliment the core in 2-4 years. Tampa has this down to a science!

There's going to be a lot to watch over the next few years- assuming Drury doesn't empty the cupboard on a Kane or JT Miller! Chytl and Kakko are the immediates...Beyond that KA Miller and LaF...both who I'd think are part of long term plans but still need to keep growing (I think both will become real good). Shesty is another- under contract I believe 3 more years...can't even think of parting with him- but do they give him Panarin money? Then what to do with Garand- who looks like he might be the next real deal in goal?

One more thing...you make a real important mention about Othmann's slide. If he come to camp and shows he belongs in the NHL- then of course he'll remain with the team- even if he needs to go back and forth to Hartford after he turns 20 in Jan....it's widely thought though, that him going back to junior is a waste of a year- might actually inhibit his development. But what if camp shows there are better options (for now) than him for this year's roster? Might they send him back to junior and try to use the additional time there to convert him to a C? If that worked out- they address 2 issues at once: shore up a position of organizational weakness AND the slide pushes a CAP concern back a year further into where one of the big contracts maybe can be moved. I do hope he kills it in camp to take this decision off Drury's plate!
      gdli liked this.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
      Welcome to the CAP era NHL!
      If a team wants to contend and keep the contention window open, the GM really needs to be shrewd to pick the right players to be part of his core...and outside of that core there is considerable movement year to year to replace guys looking for big money with either young, cost controlled players OR reclamation projects. Outside the core, the GM can't get "married" to any players- instead they need to be moved before they're needing a new contract and/or in decline...to bring back futures -which hopefully can compliment the core in 2-4 years. Tampa has this down to a science!

There's going to be a lot to watch over the next few years- assuming Drury doesn't empty the cupboard on a Kane or JT Miller! Chytl and Kakko are the immediates...Beyond that KA Miller and LaF...both who I'd think are part of long term plans but still need to keep growing (I think both will become real good). Shesty is another- under contract I believe 3 more years...can't even think of parting with him- but do they give him Panarin money? Then what to do with Garand- who looks like he might be the next real deal in goal?

One more thing...you make a real important mention about Othmann's slide. If he come to camp and shows he belongs in the NHL- then of course he'll remain with the team- even if he needs to go back and forth to Hartford after he turns 20 in Jan....it's widely thought though, that him going back to junior is a waste of a year- might actually inhibit his development. But what if camp shows there are better options (for now) than him for this year's roster? Might they send him back to junior and try to use the additional time there to convert him to a C? If that worked out- they address 2 issues at once: shore up a position of organizational weakness AND the slide pushes a CAP concern back a year further into where one of the big contracts maybe can be moved. I do hope he kills it in camp to take this decision off Drury's plate!

Could not have said it any better!!!!! So I won't even try.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 6:19 p.m.
      Brooks hates Shatty

I am not sure if Arizona is the team Drury is looking at only because Nemeth has an 8 team no trade. I assume Sabres, Senators, Devils, Columbus are likely on that list and Yotes could easily be the 5th team (the other 3 are anyone's guess). Remember Nemeth missed a lot of time for personal reasons this past season, he had a baby, so who knows, maybe he wants to stay on the east coast. Either way, buying him out is foolish, it is clear teams can recoup picks as we did with Georgie.
      gdli liked this.
      Jul. 11, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
      I am not sure if Arizona is the team Drury is looking at only because Nemeth has an 8 team no trade. I assume Sabres, Senators, Devils, Columbus are likely on that list and Yotes could easily be the 5th team (the other 3 are anyone's guess). Remember Nemeth missed a lot of time for personal reasons this past season, he had a baby, so who knows, maybe he wants to stay on the east coast. Either way, buying him out is foolish, it is clear teams can recoup picks as we did with Georgie.

The other candidates you mentioned are certainly candidates, no argument there. No buyout, agree 1000%. Chris certainly pulled a rabbit out of hat getting 3 picks for Georgy. Bulletin: Valeri Nichushkin just signed an 8 yr, $6.125M deal with the Avs. His production virtually matched Andrew Copp, with Copp having 1 more assist. As a C, Andrew is much better at face-off, and the NYR ability to retain Andrew just got a bit dimmer I'm afraid.
      Jul. 12, 2022 at 8:38 a.m.
      Brooks hates Shatty
      The other candidates you mentioned are certainly candidates, no argument there. No buyout, agree 1000%. Chris certainly pulled a rabbit out of hat getting 3 picks for Georgy. Bulletin: Valeri Nichushkin just signed an 8 yr, $6.125M deal with the Avs. His production virtually matched Andrew Copp, with Copp having 1 more assist. As a C, Andrew is much better at face-off, and the NYR ability to retain Andrew just got a bit dimmer I'm afraid.

Sadly, today is D-day for Copp in my opinion. If we don't re-sign him today I don't see him re-signing here once he hits the market, as Detroit and Nashville can offer him more money and likely the term he is looking for. To me it comes down to if Copp is willing to accept 5.5/5.75 for 5 years to have a chance to win a cup? He certainly won't have that anytime soon in Detroit, Nashville adding Copp and McDonagh are big moves, but not sure that puts them above Colorado or even St. Louis. I just think the Rangers will be moving on if the deal isn't done today. Chytil to 2C, sign an affordable 3C (White, Rodrigues, Jarnkrok, Dylan Strome, possibly Stastny - but I'd prefer not a 36 year old) and if Chytil isn't working out we make a deal in season or at the deadline. Getting PLD to play with Breadman would be great, but an extension would need to be worked out before we traded for him and it will cause us major issues down the road. Drury has how work cut out for him.
      gdli liked this.
      Jul. 12, 2022 at 9:50 a.m.
      Sadly, today is D-day for Copp in my opinion. If we don't re-sign him today I don't see him re-signing here once he hits the market, as Detroit and Nashville can offer him more money and likely the term he is looking for. To me it comes down to if Copp is willing to accept 5.5/5.75 for 5 years to have a chance to win a cup? He certainly won't have that anytime soon in Detroit, Nashville adding Copp and McDonagh are big moves, but not sure that puts them above Colorado or even St. Louis. I just think the Rangers will be moving on if the deal isn't done today. Chytil to 2C, sign an affordable 3C (White, Rodrigues, Jarnkrok, Dylan Strome, possibly Stastny - but I'd prefer not a 36 year old) and if Chytil isn't working out we make a deal in season or at the deadline. Getting PLD to play with Breadman would be great, but an extension would need to be worked out before we traded for him and it will cause us major issues down the road. Drury has how work cut out for him.

Spot on re Copp, I in the same place as you. Ditto on some of the names you indicated. Finally, no old guys, "play the kids." Let's see what we have!
      XBestOneYetX liked this.
      Jul. 12, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
      Brooks hates Shatty
      Let's hope Drury makes some good moves, would like to see Kakko signed today and doesn't do anything stupid tomorrow.
      gdli liked this.
      Jul. 12, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
      I agree re: Kappo. Chris definitely pulled some rabbits out of the hat, three of them to be precise. Let's hope he exercises fiscal discipline and maybe throw in a "walk on water" performance as well over the next few days!

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll